Trying to recover

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Trying to recover

Postby *Valerie* » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:35 am

Hi everyone

After posting by mistake on the MWL thread yesterday (sorry about that) I now have a better handle on this site and have decided to start a journal to log my progress. I am recovering from Covid-19 and have now had symptoms for 4 months. I have not required any hospital treatment but the symptoms are hanging around. My doctor and also my local Covid centre are aware and have been trying to help me but they don't have much to offer yet. They send me lots of questionnaires though so I'm playing a part in their information gathering efforts. I decided to do some research into how to help myself, and I have ended up here. I'm hopeful that this way of eating will help me to recover.

I started yesterday. There is so much to learn, and I was aware of possibly jumping in too soon before I was properly prepared, but I decided this just cannot wait. The thought of another 4 months of feeling this exhausted, and the impact on my life, is pushing me forward.

Day 1

Breakfast - brown rice/mushrooms/soy sauce/nutritional yeast
Lunch - baked potatoes/humous* (from McD's recipes)
Snack - satsumas
Dinner - lentil and potato stew/carrots/onions

I didn't have any food cravings so that was good. I had very little energy though. I took a drive out to a local beauty spot for an hour, just to get out, and then slept for around 3.5 hours in the afternoon. I can't seem to stay awake for a whole day. I had a headache in the evening that I'm guessing is caffeine withdrawal. I drank a lot of water yesterday which is new for me, lately I have been drinking coffee all day long but yesterday was better.

In the evening I watched the introductory videos on this site. I particularly loved Mary McDougall's one about cooking. She makes it sound so easy and she has a lovely style of delivery when she talks. I'll need to find some more of these videos for ideas and inspiration. I plan to go food shopping today and to buy some greens and a few other things I'm unfamiliar with such as almond meal and brown rice pasta. I'd like to try making salsa but I'll see.

I'm already struggling with energy again today. Some days I have a few good hours in the morning before I slump, but today I'm just tired. Things can only get better, I guess.
*Valerie*

Re: Trying to recover

Postby moonlight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi Valerie,
I think you found the perfect diet to help you regain your strength and health. You mentioned getting some greens today. I find that if I eat greens everyday, often two or three times a day, I have a ton of energy. Of course, this is in addition to starches. I also eat a lot of cooked onions, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms.
Good luck!
moonlight

Postby *Valerie* » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:18 pm

Hi Moonlight
Good to hear from you and thank you for tip about greens - enough energy to get through a day is my goal just now, anything else is a bonus. I bought some frozen brussels sprouts, green beans and broccoli yesterday so I'll maybe add a helping to every meal today. Yesterday I'd already made a different plan for what to eat - here it is.

Day 2
Breakfast - grapes/blueberries
Lunch - brown rice/chick peas/nutritional yeast/lettuce/tomatoes/caesar salad dressing*
Dinner - wholewheat pasta/spicy black bean salsa*/wholmeal pita/humous*/kidney beans

I was going to cook some oats for breakfast but woke up with no appetite so just nibbled on some fruit instead and drank lots of water. All 3 recipes I've tried so far have been excellent. The food is good and satisfying and my taste buds are back in action for the first time in a while so that's also good.

Day 2 was not great regarding my health. I went shopping in the morning and despite meandering around the supermarket, taking my time and hanging on to my trolley, I became achey, tired and dizzy very quickly and felt quite vulnerable. I cooked up some lunch when I got home and made extras to store in the fridge. I'm realising that being prepared is helpful with this WOE. I ended up lying down all afternoon, slept for about an hour but mostly just resting and trying to feel normal although I could not shake off the fog in my head and the dizziness. In hindsight, some of this may have been caffeine withdrawal, mixed in with lack of energy. I used to drink a lot of coffee and it's been quite a sudden switch to water. I also got quite upset about it all, I'm usually an active person and it's hard to manage this, but my mood improved in the evening.

There's only me and my husband at home and I am on my own with this WOE, but he is supportive in other ways. I menu planned taking Mary McDougall's advice about basing the meal on starch, then having different 'extras' depending on taste. Last night was pasta and we both had different toppings. Tonight will be potatoes with different sides. So far it's working and there's no conflict or hassle, it helps that there are only 2 of us.

It has been 4 months since I have been able to move around normally and I think I need a plan to reintroduce myself to physical activity. Trying to do ordinary things like shopping, I'm not so sure was helpful. It has shocked me how quickly my muscles seem to have forgotten what to do. My whole body, particularly my legs, feels heavy and slow when I walk anywhere. I would like to try a daily 10 minute walk to get me started. Maybe I can do that today.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:45 pm

I'm getting to the end of day 3. I've had a bit more energy today, it lasted longer and I was able to do things like housework that I haven't done for a while. I had a good day, but I'm back to feeling exhausted now. I also had a frightening episide of my chest feeling heavy and painful, but it passed quickly. Today's symptoms have made me even more determined to take charge of my health.

Day 3
B - brown rice/brussles sprouts/hot sauce
L - wholemeal pasta/salsa/broccoli
D - potatoes (mashed, so good!)/sweetcorn/green beans/gravy
Snack - fruity baked oatmeal squares*

I can totally recommend the oatmeal squares, they were so good I ate two. I think I'm possibly overeating a little but I'm trying not to worry about that. I think having a satisfied stomach is helping as I've had no food cravings for sugar or fat. It's all good.

I'm also on a week long challenge to eat greens with every meal. So far so good.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:21 am

At the end of day 3 I had a new symptom. For those who don't enjoy too much information you can skip to another thread now!

When I went to the loo, my pee had turned dark brown, like coffee. This has never happened before and I have to say, I freaked out a little. I contacted my doctor with all the details of what had happened. I'm still waiting for him to get back to me - this is often a good sign as he will respond quickly if it's an emergency. My pee returned to normal yesterday but I'm wary and looking forward to hearing from my doctor. I know this virus attacks vital organs but I did let him know I have no pain or discomfort because of this. Just need to wait and see, maybe I'll need a blood test.

Day 4
I am struggling to remember exactly what I ate and when as I grazed all day, kept feeling peckish so just ate a small amount when I was hungry. This is roughly how it went.
B - brussels sprouts/salsa*/oatmeal square*
Snack - wholemeal pita/humous*
L - split pea soup*/oatmeal square
Snack - oatmeal square (wow I ate a lot of oats yesterday, they were very yummy with the fresh berries in)/spoonfuls of pea soup now and then
D - wholemeal pita/lettuce/caesar salad dressing*

Food items with a star* are from recipes found on this website. As I said, my appetite was all over the place yesterday so I'm not sure exactly how much of everything I ate, I just grazed all day.

The main thing was that I had some energy all day, for the first time in weeks/months. Slight lull in the afternoon but I didn't need to sleep or even lie down. I also had a clearer head than I've had in a while, not back to normal but much clearer. I also noticed yesterday that my skin has improved. Since the virus, I have had waxy/clammy skin but now it feels and looks better. All good. :-D

Is it even possible that this woe can have such an impact after only 4 days? I haven't slipped at all, and I also haven't been eating higher fat vegan foods like nuts, avocados or any of that. I've also been drinking a lot of water.

I'm also realising that I bought way too many veggies with the shopping, so I'm going to have to do some cooking today and get the veggie dishes in the freezer. I hate waste. I'm also going to freeze what's left of the pita breads, I've had enough bread for now. Also, the pea soup gave me the most terrible wind so I probably won't be eating that again, think I didn't soak the peas for long enough but even so, I remembered that they don't really agree with me. It was tasty though.

So, on to another day and so far I feel much better than I did this time last week.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 pm

I had a chat with my doctor about the incident the other night. He's not overly concerned as it was a one off and things have been fine since then. He did query a sudden gall bladder unblocking that could have caused it, but given I've never had any gall bladder discomfort I'm not sure. Either way, I've to let him know if it happens again or becomes a regular thing. I was reassured.

Day 5
B - brussels sprouts/salsa*/oatmeal square*
L - brown rice/salsa*/green beans
D - brown rice/salsa*/lettuce/caesar dressing*/kidney beans/sweetcorn
Snack - wholemeal pita/peanut butter

So I made a mistake with the peanut butter and didn't check the label. After a couple of bites it tasted like icing sugar. I always buy smooth PB so I can spread it thinly but when I checked and saw it was full of sugar I just ditched it. I think my taste buds have changed already. I have wholefood PB on my shopping list for Monday and learned the hard way that if a food has ingredients, probably don't eat it or at least check the label.

Anyway, day 5 I had some energy again all day so I ventured out for a 10 minute walk. It felt great to be out and about, and I felt steady on my feet. I relaxed in the afternoon and watched Dr Novick's talk about calorie density. It was excellent; I do enjoy a good speaker, especially with such a positive, helpful message and a robust evidence base. I went out again in the evening to a local beauty spot where I had another walk, maybe 20 minutes this time. Then I made some vegetable soup to use up the veggies and stuck it in the freezer. I'm back to work next week so need to keep going.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:16 pm

Day 6
B - potatoes/veg soup
L - wholemeal pita/lettuce/tomatoes/caesar dressing*
D - potatoes/veg soup
Snack - grapes
Day 6 happened and I reduced the volume of food and kept it much more simple. I didn't eat any beans or chickpeas as my stomach was still going crazy after the split peas and green veg, uncomfortably bloated and full of gas. My stomach calmed down and I still felt full so I figured this was ok. I guess I'm experimenting with how much food is the right amount.

I felt well all day and have noticed I'm awake more into the evening. For the months and perhaps a couple of years before the virus I have been tired and in bed by 8pm. Yesterday I was awake until 10pm and felt fine in the evening. I had a 20 minute walk in the morning and would have had a second walk except it was pouring rain.

This weekend I will be visiting friends. Usually we eat excessively but this time we need to take our own food because of the virus and are not able to share, so I should manage ok. I don't know how this will be after lockdown though, when restaurants and cafes are open normally, bars are open, there will be coffee and cake, dinner dates and all the rest. Maybe one challenge at a time, and planning.

Also, my sultanas are coated in oil. Why is this? I can't seem to find any without oil and I want to experiment with fat free baking. I will need to get rid of them. I also watched Dr McDougall talking about salt and sugar intake, and how it's ok to eat these things, it's the fat that's the problem. In terms of cooking for others, this is really helpful. Being able to make some fat free brownies or something for shared meals will be helpful, I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat brown rice and veg.

I have a lot to learn but I'm getting there. The webinars are particularly helpful and motivating.
*Valerie*

Day 7

Postby *Valerie* » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:29 pm

It was the final day of my first week and I'm reviewing how it's gone. First, the food:

Day 7
B - baked potatoes/soy sauce
L - brown rice/nutritional yeast/lettuce/tomato/caesar dressing*
D - baked potatoes/sweet potato cheese sauce*/black eyed beans/sweetcorn
Snack - blueberry muffins*

I went out to our local health food shop and picked up a few things for baking. Even their organic sultanas had oil (it was organic though!) I managed to get some dates without oil so I can use them for sweetening baking.

I have no idea if I'm supposed to be introducing foods like agave at this point but it was the weekend and I fancied a sweet treat. The muffins tasted delicious but the texture was odd, probably because I forgot to put the egg replacement in and had to pull them back out of the oven (after 20 seconds) to add it. Its all learning, right? :oops:

Reviewing how my first week gone:

Pros
I definitely have more energy than this time last week.
My skin has improved.
I'm back into cooking after throwing ready meals in the oven for the last 4 months.
I don't have huge food cravings.
My mood has improved.
I'm getting active again.

Cons
I have had terrible wind after eating split peas. The greens are also causing this problem, it's not good but I don't know what to do.
This woe feels extreme and I'm not sure about the sustainability after lockdown.
Um...that's all.

I'm going to keep going for another week and see what happens. I'll maybe research vegetables that are easier to digest. Will my body get used to this given more time?
Last edited by *Valerie* on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Valerie*

Postby vegyluvver » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:00 am

Your body will definitely get used to the digestion of beans and veggies. It usually only takes a few weeks for me once I switch back to McDougalling.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Re: Day 7

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:36 am

*Valerie* wrote:I have had terrible wind after eating split peas. The greens are also causing this problem, it's not good but I don't know what to do

This will tell you what to do

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10054&p=76842#p76842

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby *Valerie* » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:13 pm

vegyluvver wrote:Your body will definitely get used to the digestion of beans and veggies. It usually only takes a few weeks for me once I switch back to McDougalling.

Thanks for this reassurance. I'm only one week in so hopefully time will resolve this.
*Valerie*

Re: Day 7

Postby *Valerie* » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:15 pm

JeffN wrote:
*Valerie* wrote:I have had terrible wind after eating split peas. The greens are also causing this problem, it's not good but I don't know what to do

This will tell you what to do

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10054&p=76842#p76842

In health
Jeff

Thank you too Jeff. I've ordered both supplements now, they should arrive in a few days, and I will reintroduce the greens today, just in smaller amounts.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Day 8

B - oatmeal squares*
L - potato/black bean salsa*/oatmeal squares*
D - oatmeal squares*
snack - apple/date

I woke up feeling good, enjoyed my morning, skype lunch with family then a short, socially distanced, garden visit to friends. Around 3 pm I felt the familiar tense feeling all over my body, as though catching a bug, and my head started to cloud over, feeling fuzzy and a bit painful. Within 30 minutes my sinuses got painful and my throat started to hurt. I made a herbal tea and went to lie down, at which point I noticed my sense of taste had gone again. Annoying to say the least. I'll need to let various people know about this tomorrow, and will possibly be sent for another test. I spent the rest of the day just lying down, hoping that I could ward off any exhaustion.

So before this happened I was enjoying my day. I've never eaten dates before and thought I'd try the medjool ones I bought the other day. They taste like toffee! What a handy sweet treat to have in my toolkit of things to keep me on plan.

I was also given an old family recipe for oatmeal pancakes, basically consisting of oatmeal, flour and milk so easily adaptable. I'll possibly try those out tomorrow. I need to go and research how much flour is ok to eat, I have wholemeal flour that I used in the muffins and so far have had a little wholemeal bread. It was so difficult to find wholemeal bread without oil or milk that I'm considering making my own. There's a first time for everything.

I'm keeping on going.
*Valerie*

Postby vegyluvver » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 pm

Hello, my fellow Val! Do you mind if I ask what the asterisks are for in your menus?
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby *Valerie* » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:39 pm

vegyluvver wrote:Hello, my fellow Val! Do you mind if I ask what the asterisks are for in your menus?

Hi there, great name! :-D

The asterisks indicate I've used a recipe from this website, just to be clear about the ingredients and what I've eaten. Most have come from the 10 - day meal plan and I would recommend them all, they're yummy.
*Valerie*

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals