Katie's Food Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Katie's Food Journal

Postby K-Squared » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Hello All,
My name is Katie, and I have been following a WFPB Diet for the past 4.5 years. Initially, I managed to lose 50lbs, going from 202lbs to 152lbs. Over the last few years my weight has crept back up and has hovered around 163lbs. While my blood tests show that I am metabolically healthy, I know that these 40 extra pounds of fat on my body are toxic! I am an avid reader and have done extensive research on plant based eating and have always found a way to justify my intake of nuts, seeds, and avocado based on various studies. Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to reach a healthy body weight while incorporating these foods into my regular diet. I am finally ready to ditch my beloved plant-based fats and commit to Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss version of the Starch Solution.

I am looking forward to the support that comes with being apart of this online-community, and am hopeful that I can finally reach a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life! If I can reach a weight below 150lbs, I will honestly be blown away. I have been utilizing the principals of the MWL version of the SS for the past 4 days - with the addition of 2 extra servings of fruit. I am hopeful that I can continue to eat 4 servings of fruit per day, as opposed to 2 or less... but will modify as needed. I appreciate any and all feedback with regards to my daily journal, especially in these first few weeks, as I want to find success on the MWL version of the SS.

For reference, I am 32 years old and weigh 163.6lbs at a height of 5'5.

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Banana
Broccoli

Lunch
Apple
Roasted Potatoes
Super Greens Salad with Bell Pepper, Cucumber, Cherry Tomatoes, and FF Balsamic Vinaigrette

Dinner
Mashed Potatoes with White Bean 'Gravy'
Collards and Mushrooms
Corn on the Cob

Dessert
Frozen Blueberries

Snacks
Roasted Potato
Cherries
Carrots
K-Squared

Re: Katie's Food Journal

Postby K-Squared » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 tsp brown sugar
Banana
Broccoli

Lunch
Power Greens Salad with bell pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and FF Balsamic Vinaigrette
Sweet Potato with 1/4 Finely Diced Apple
Yellow Squash

Dinner
Festive Dal over Rice
Brussel Sprouts

Snacks
Cherries
Carrots
Leftover Mashed Potatoes with White Bean 'Gravy'
Frozen Blueberries
K-Squared

Postby Zoey » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi Katie! Good to see you here. For inspiration and accountability, come over to the MWL Weigh-In group. It's the perfect time, since the July group will be kicking off shortly. Hope to see you around!
Zoey

Postby K-Squared » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Zoey wrote:Hi Katie! Good to see you here. For inspiration and accountability, come over to the MWL Weigh-In group. It's the perfect time, since the July group will be kicking off shortly. Hope to see you around!

Thank's, Zoey! I will be sure to do that :)
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Breakfast
Oatmeal
1 tsp Brown Sugar
Broccoli
Strawberries/Bananas

Lunch
Leftover Festive Dal over Brown Rice
Power Greens Salad with Onion, Bell Pepper, Cherry Tomatoes, and FF Balsamic Vinaigrette
Yellow Squash

Dinner
Power Greens Salad with Onion, Bell Pepper, Cherry Tomatoes, and FF Balsamic Vinaigrette
Brussel Sprouts
Kidney Bean and Barley Chili
Corn on the Cob

Snacks
Apple
Carrots
Mango
Frozen Berries
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm

I have been camping at RMNP for the past two days. Stuck with MWL with the addition of some raisins in my Oatmeal as we went for some looong hikes - over 8 miles yesterday! I feel like this is a big success for me, as I would normally allow myself to have a s'more (vegan of course) at the campfire, along with traditional veganized camping fare. While the food aspect certainly didn't feel as 'fun' as usual, I did feel great while hiking! In fact, I could have easily tacked on several more miles yesterday without missing a beat. For today, I skipped breakfast (unhappily) as the AM weather at Glacier Basin was wet, windy, and cold. We decided it was better to back up our site and head out of Estes before the weather made a turn for the worse!

Lunch:
Roasted Potatoes with 1Tbsp Ketchup
Mixed Veggies

Dinner:
Quick Black Bean Soup
Power Greens Salad with Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Red Onion, and FF Balsamic Dressing
Broccoli

Snacks:
Carrots
Apple
Grapes
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Well, after returning from RMNP two days ago, we hopped a plane and are now in Florida! Here is my food journal from yesterday and today. Today was a bit off due to traveling, but I stayed within the food guidelines for MWL, with the exception of adding fruits or veggies to my breakfast... we had to be up at 4am to make our flight, so I wasn't particularly hungry.

7/1
Breakfast
Oatmeal
1/2 Banana
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Broccoli

Lunch
Sweet Potato
Leftover Black Bean Soup
Mixed Vegetables

Dinner
Broccoli
Chana Masala over Brown Rice

Snacks
Frozen Blueberries
Apple
Baby Carrots
Roasted Potato

7/2
Breakfast
Oatmeal
1 Tsp Brown Sugar

Lunch
Whole Wheat Rotini
Fat Free Pasta Sauce with Italian Vegetables
Summer Squash

Dinner
Potato Tacos (Yukon Golds, Bell Pepper, Black Bean/Peach Salsa, Coleslaw Veggies served in Lettuce Cups)
Broccoli

Snacks
Apple
Banana
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Went blueberry picking this morning and got some end-of-season Florida berries - Enjoyed them in my oatmeal today, and likely for the next few...

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
Banana and Blueberries
1 Tsp Brown Sugar

Lunch
Diced Roasted Potatoes
Summer Squash
Salad with Bell Pepper, Red Onion, Cherry Tomatoes, and FF Balsamic Vinaigrette

Dinner
Miso Soup with Mushrooms/Cabbage
Brown Rice
Portobello Mushrooms
Stir Fry Veggies
Drizzle of Teriyaki Sauce

Snacks
Carrots
Fresh Figs
Blueberries
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:58 am

Well, back from hitting the river. Did my best to incorporate the 10 point checklist, and 100% avoided all banned foods. I did struggle with the preloading and 50/50 plate while on the river... but still managed to come home down in weight!

7/4
Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Banana
Blueberries

Lunch
Carrots
Cherries/Grapes
Black Bean and Corn Salad

Dinner
White Rice (Couldn't find Brown at Publix, boo!) with Black Beans
Corn on the Cob
McDougall Veggie Soup

Snacks
Cherries/Grapes
Carrots

7/5
Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Blueberries
Peaches

Lunch
White Rice
Cherries/Grapes
Carrots

Dinner
Whole Wheat Pasta
Italian Vegetables in Tomato Sauce
Summer Squash

Snacks
Cherries
Banana
Carrots
K-Squared

Postby Joanne_elon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:10 pm

Wow! Katie it looks like your doing extremely well.
I can relate to what you said in your introduction, I also have
been following the starch base diet for several years but have not lost the weight .
Too many nuts, nut butters, avocados. etc. I have read the books and know
what I need to do.

I am excited to be sharing this journey. So fun
to read the food diaries. I don't know anyone who eats like this. Now a whole
community. I really think being accountable is going to make such a big difference.

Good luck! We can do this! Joanne
Joanne_elon

Postby K-Squared » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 pm

Joanne_elon wrote:Wow! Katie it looks like your doing extremely well.
I can relate to what you said in your introduction, I also have
been following the starch base diet for several years but have not lost the weight .
Too many nuts, nut butters, avocados. etc. I have read the books and know
what I need to do.

I am excited to be sharing this journey. So fun
to read the food diaries. I don't know anyone who eats like this. Now a whole
community. I really think being accountable is going to make such a big difference.

Good luck! We can do this! Joanne

Hi Joanne,
I also find it helpful to peak at other people's food diaries! While I mentally miss the nuts and guacamole, I have not experienced any physical withdrawals like I did from sugar 4+ years ago. Since eating plant fats has never made me feel bad or messed with my health numbers, I have never had much of a reason to quit them, except for my own vanity! While looking at the MWL Weigh-in page for July, I have seen several other people whose experience is similar, so hopefully this MWL journey will work out for us all!
Thankfully, my immediate family, and several members of our friends group conform to a vegan diet. While no one is eating as strictly as I am, it is certainly helpful not to have the temptation of vegan junk food in my house! I am so glad for you, myself, and others, to have this virtual community.
Thanks for commenting!
Katie
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Breakfast
Rolled Oats
1 Tsp Sugar
Peaches/Blueberries

Lunch
Roasted Diced Potatoes with 1 Tbsp Ketchup
Broccoli and Mushrooms

Dinner
Spring Leaf Salad with Cucumber, Red Onion, Cherry Tomatoes, and FF Balsamic Vinaigrette
Chickpea/Cabbage/Rice Soup

Snacks
Banana
Peach
Baby Carrots
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Banana/Blueberries

Lunch
Leftover Chickpea/Rice/Cabbage Soup
Salad with Spring Lettuce, Red Onion, Cucumber, Cherry Tomato, and FF Balsamic Vinaigrette

Dinner
Mashed Potato with White Bean Gravy
Corn on the Cob
Asparagus

Snacks
Cherries/Grapes
Carrots
Roasted Potatoes

I may have gone a bit heavy on the fruit today, but I just love in season cherries and cotton candy grapes! Also, still on vacation, so doing what I can with what I have!
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Well, today I 100% overdid the fruit. Went to the beach with the family, thinking we'd be there for a short while, and packed only fruit and carrots. Of course, we ended up out for 4+ hours and I ate more fruit than MWL allows due to being hungry! Got home and ate my mashed potatoes and soup... Hopefully, this will not derail my weight loss for the week, as I have not eaten any forbidden MWL foods. For tomorrow, I have planned better and looked up the Garbanzo and Spinach salad recipe for my beachy lunch. Onward!

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 tsp Brown Sugar
Cherries/Banana

Lunch
Mashed Potatoes with White Bean Gravy
McDougal Veggie Soup

Dinner
1/2 Corn Cob
Spring Greens Salad with Cucumber, Bell Pepper, Red Onion, Cherry Tomatoes, and FF Balsamic
Potato Tacos in Lettuce Wrap (Potatoes, Peach/Black Bean Salsa, Coleslaw Veggies)

Snacks
Grapes
Apple
Carrots
K-Squared

Postby Zoey » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:14 am

Katie, it's so fun following your adventures. Thanks for sharing. I don't think a day at the beach with lots of fruit will derail you at all. In fact, a day at the beach with too much fruit is like the perfect day.
Aaahh, your posts make me so hungry. Keep up the great progress!
Zoey

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals