Taymariekay's Food Journal and Weigh-ins

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Taymariekay's Food Journal and Weigh-ins

Postby taymariekay » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm

This is my official food journal and weigh-in tracker :D I am no longer following the regular program, and am focusing on MWL behaviors. I have a focus on the following rules for myself as well:

- Only eat when truly hungry, and eat actual full meals
- Limit fruit: only use with morning oats, a serving for desserts (preferably berries), and 1 during day for snack
- Eat out of a similar sized bowl every meal that I know fills me up without being stuffed (I need a 4-5 cup bowl)

That is what I've been doing with success :)

I am weighing myself every Sunday.

Starting weight: 200
Current weight (as of June 12th, 2020): 182.5
Height: 5' 8"
Last edited by taymariekay on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taymariekay

Re: Taymariekay's Food Journal and Weigh-ins

Postby taymariekay » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Today's Food:

Breakfast:

Steel cut oats with blueberries, cherries, 1/4 cup almond milk

Lunch:

1/2 bowl of sweet potatoes and potatoes, 1/2 bowl of Brussels sprouts, asparagus and steamed greens with WYW Italian dressing mixed with oil-free hummus as a dressing.

Snack:

Apple

Dinner:

1/2 bowl of sweet potato, brown rice, potatoes, topped with yellow squash and steamed greens. Coconut aminos garlic sauce on top for taste.

Tried hard to resist some vegan chocolate bars for free in the break room today. OOF. Stuck to plan!
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Today's Food:

Breakfast:

Brussels sprouts, summer squash, baby greens, dollop of oil free hummus
Steel cut oats, blueberries, pineapple, almond milk (1/4 cup)

Snack:

Ezekiel muffin, pink lady apple

Lunch:

Broccoli (tons), baby greens, cauliflower "cheese"
Burrito: peppers, onions, chopped potatoes, crumbled Jeff Novick burgers, all in a whole grain tortilla with oil free hummus

Small bowl of strawberries

Dinner:

Rolled oats (1 cup) in microwave, cooked in water, blueberries on top
Splash of maple syrup and oat milk

------------

Today was my day off and for some reason wanted to enjoy bread and tortilla. I don't think I want to include them daily, but was a nice addition today.

Been struggling lately to make my food enticing and not feel bored with it without wanting to include too many rich items. I'm not a huge recipe maker, so I make simple meals and rely on spices and condiments to make them palatable. Normally it works fine for me, but just feeling in a rut. I think that's why I included the bread and tortilla, for some change.

I also suspect that I am chronically not eating enough starch to feel satiated. I think I may eat too many vegetables.

Tomorrow's goal: more unprocessed starches in my meals, a little less veg, see how it goes.

Tay
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:41 am

What I love about this lifestyle is that it takes away the need to have to "think" about my food so much or worry about calories. It's finally sinking in that I can let all of that go. Really takes away some head space.

June 19th, 2020:

Breakfast: rolled oats, blueberries, mangoes, splash of almond milk

Lunch: cauliflower, diced potatoes, peppers, onions, Jeff's burgers crumbled, cheese sauce, dollop of oil free hummus.

Dinner: broccoli, greens, sweet potato, cheese sauce, salsa, dollop of oil free hummus. Strawberries for dessert.

MWL: 95%

Felt amazing! Drank lots of water as well.
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 am

June 20th Food Journal:

Even though I weighed myself Friday for MWL thread, I also weighed myself this morning for my own threads.

Weigh-in: 181.7

A few more points less than Friday ;)

I am feeling SO good! I've really cut out basically everything that bothers me physically, and everything that has hindered my weight loss. I can tell my body is healing and becoming sensitive to anything that is off plan. I don't feel well when I eat anything richer, even bread/flour. I am going to continue to fine-tune and minimize even more things this week. Here are my goals for focus on:

- Stop using store bought oil-free hummus
- Lower the amount of condiments (salt and sugar)
- Lower the amount of homemade fat free cheese sauce
- Continue to keep fruit at a minimum.
- Up my water intake

Maybe I can get down to 180 by the end of the week?

Here is yesterday's food:

Breakfast: rolled oats, mangoes, blueberries, splash of almond milk

Lunch: Brown rice, cauliflower rice, crumbled Jeff burgers, homemade cheese sauce

Dinner: Brussels, zucchini, green beans, steamed greens, sweet potato, brown rice, cheese sauce, salsa

Snacks: strawberries, apple, watermelon

Drank 90 oz of water
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 pm

June 21st, 2020 Food Journal

Sundays used to be really tough for me because they're just lazy days and my parents (who I currently live with) also hang with me and they like to splurge on junk food. I stick to my plan though. At this point, I don't even entertain the option of eating the food. It's not an option to me! It's mostly easy for me to resist because I know it will send me down a spiral and make my conditions flare. So, the debate doesn't go on in my head and it's easier to move along. Onto the food for the day!

Breakfast: oatmeal with mango, pineapple, and blueberries , splash of almond milk (lowered my almond milk from 1/2 cup to less than 1/4th - I think I just enjoy the vanilla flavor it adds)

Lunch: Huge bowl of Brussels, Mediterranean veggie blend (zucchini, green beans, carrots), tomatoes, greens, with small sweet potato and Jeff Novick burger (love them), cheese sauce. Had a small bowl of strawberries, grapes and watermelon after.

Snacks: Watermelon (eeks...I kinda had a lot!), grapes

Dinner: Stir fry blend veggies, tomatoes, Brussels, greens, two steamed potatoes, cheese sauce, salsa. Strawberry for dessert.

I finished up this last batch of cheese sauce and I think I'm going to take a break from it temporarily, just because I think it might be a little TOO good :lol:

Also, watermelon is SO good this time of year, and it's probably my all time favorite fruit next to mangoes! So, I never buy it because I could eat an entire watermelon in one day. And today, I really went nuts on it! I probably had half of it. It's still calling my name from the fridge haha. Fruit can be a real problem for me. I justify eating it because it's so healthy, but I love fruit so much that I can really eat 500+ calories per day of it, easily. Wish I didn't like fruit so much!

There are fruits I keep around that aren't AS good to me, that I can truly keep as snacks. Those would be apples and strawberries. The fruit I use on my oats are frozen, and that also keeps me from snacking endlessly on them (though I do love snacking on frozen cherries). So, that helps.

Despite the endless watermelon eating, today was pretty dang spot on MWL. Considering making a big batch of soup for the week to try pre-loading. Can't really do salads without wanting a creamy dressing, plus acidic dressing wreak havoc on my teeth.

Not sure if anyone is reading these, but does anyone know how to add pictures to food journals?

Tay
taymariekay

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:00 am

Hi Tay. It sounds like you are mentally in a good place right now and feeling strong. We are a bit of kindred spirits and your food sounds yummy. I too am a big watermelon person. What I love to do is cut it up, put the small chunks in baggies and freeze them. Then when I want to eat it, I have to smash it with a meat mallet to break it up (I put it on a cutting board and wrap in a dish cloth too, and often in a bigger stronger ziplock bag so the pieces don't go everywhere...see, I have my technique down.) But nothing is more yummy and more refreshing than frozen watermelon. But then I get really cold and I'm sitting in my hot house in a warm robe or blanket, in the middle of the summer, eating my frozen watermelon.

You might try it someday. Though I told my husband not to buy me another watermelon too soon, I go through them too quickly.
AnnetteW

Postby taymariekay » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:49 pm

AnnetteW wrote:Hi Tay. It sounds like you are mentally in a good place right now and feeling strong. We are a bit of kindred spirits and your food sounds yummy. I too am a big watermelon person. What I love to do is cut it up, put the small chunks in baggies and freeze them. Then when I want to eat it, I have to smash it with a meat mallet to break it up (I put it on a cutting board and wrap in a dish cloth too, and often in a bigger stronger ziplock bag so the pieces don't go everywhere...see, I have my technique down.) But nothing is more yummy and more refreshing than frozen watermelon. But then I get really cold and I'm sitting in my hot house in a warm robe or blanket, in the middle of the summer, eating my frozen watermelon.

You might try it someday. Though I told my husband not to buy me another watermelon too soon, I go through them too quickly.

Hi Annette! YUM! Love that idea! That actually might help me eat less since it's cold. I will try that! And yes, I am in a good place right now, you're right! The longer I stay on the straight and narrow, the easier it is. I am in a groove and a routine. Helps so much. Let me tell you, though....it took me a very very long time to get here. 8+ years! I've known about the McDougall program since I became vegan in 2012 and I've tried it, not done it correctly, justified keeping foods in, then give up from subconsciously not liking that I couldn't have my pleasure trap foods! I was DEEPLY in the trap. Plus I was just being blown in the wind by dozens of influencers that are able to keep in pleasure trap foods and look great, and I automatically assumed I could do it too. I was wrong. And I just kept justifying foods over and over and not doing the program. Finally joining this forum helped keep me on the straight and narrow, and I'm realizing the program works, if I DO it and do it RIGHT! But, I'm not perfect.

My gut is a wreck from yesterdays watermelon fiasco :lol: I actually think I may have a fructose malabsorption problem. Fruit doesn't treat me well even though I love it!
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 pm

June 22nd, 2020 Food Journal

Breakfast: 1 cup oats, 1 cup pineapple blueberries and mango. 1/4 cup almond milk. (could not finish!)

Tomorrow I would like to lessen the oats, add Apple, add zucchini, see what happens.

Lunch: cauliflower rice, hearty blend, garlic sauce

Snacks: apple and some baby carrots

Dinner: Large potato, small sweet potato, 3 Jeff burgers…about a pound of mixed vegetables with coconut aminos, a little ketchup for starches. Sooo filling!

Dessert: Had a strawberry, two cherries

Good day! All I can say is thank you LORD. Finally in a groove and so thankful.
taymariekay

Postby Zoey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:56 am

taymariekay wrote:So, I never buy it because I could eat an entire watermelon in one day.

Easily! :nod:
Zoey

Postby taymariekay » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Zoey - You know what I mean!!! Hehe.

Food Journal for June 23, 2020

Breakfast: Zucchini oats with apple

Lunch: hearty blend (store bought blend of farro, chickpeas, carrots, broccoli) with added cauliflower rice and some extra brown rice. Flavored with coconut aminos garlic sauce.

Dinner: HUGE bowl of Brussels, green beans, tomatoes and greens with a plate of small sweet potato, small regular potato, leftover rice, and bean burger. Topped things with steak sauce and coconut aminos and salsa.

Dessert: an apple

Good day! Feeling full and satisfied.
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:08 pm

Food Journal for June 24th, 2020

Breakfast: steel cut oats with a cup of fruit and 1/4 cup almond milk (I am slowly weening off of it)

Lunch: farro, chickpeas, potato, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower rice, salsa, sprinkle of nutritional yeast

Snacks: green apple, cherries, watermelon, strawberries

Dinner: sweet potato, potatoes, Jeff burger, brussels, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, no-sugar ketchup made with fruits and vegetables!

I think I probably had a tad too much fruit today, but actually not fretting it. Was able to keep the watermelon portion to sensible :)

I suspect a possible tomato/nightshade sensitivity, will be looking into this. I think I can do small amounts, but I ate quite a large portion of tomatoes at dinner, plus salsa and ketchup today, and I tend to get headaches and a all over "weird" feeling in my body. Hard to explain it!

I consider today a success :)
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:45 pm

It's been a while and I'm back :) Ready to go back to journaling. Maybe not daily, possibly weekly or whenever I feel like it. Unsure. Feeling a little beaten down by the past month to be honest, but really want to figure this out so I can stay on track for good, in a way that's sustainable for me. I think journaling helps me keep track on what's working and what's not.

I plan on doing most of the MWL guidelines, but have to really lessen my vegetable intake due to severe IBS/pain issues. Trying to go back to simplicity.

Here's my plan in an organized fashion:

- Focus on eating mostly whole starches that are safe for me: potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats.
- Only eat very well cooked vegetables (green beans, zucchini, soft lettuces), no more than a cup at a time.
- Keep fruits to a few per day, with a focus on berries.
- Eat when hungry, until satisfied but not stuffed. (I tend to restrict my eating which then backfires, so I want to not neglect hunger)
- Zero nuts/seeds/avocado, no bread/tortillas, and very small amount of sugar in condiments and sauces (if any)
- Drink lots of water between meals
- Trust the process and stick with this

Wish me luck :)
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:12 pm

Back in the groove and feeling good. I have lessened my vegetable intake and it is helpful. Any day that I up my intake too much, I definitely feel it. I’m keeping my meals pretty starch heavy but probably still 1/3 vegetables. Honestly, I feel more satiated when I don’t overdo the vegetables anyway.

Currently my meals on rotation are:

Oatmeal and fruit
Rice and vegetables with nori and liquid aminos
Sweet potatoes with vegetables and garlic sauce
Potatoes wrapped in lettuce and dipped in no sugar ketchup

Was having a bit of a chocolate banana smoothie bender lately, but I just ran out of frozen bananas so I’m going to wait a while to buy more :)

Snacks are pieces of fruit. Was also eating too many peaches because they’re so delicious so I stopped buying those! Going back to apples. Not that exciting to overeat.

This month my goal is to continue being consistent. No smoothies, only eating when truly hungry and eating full starch and veggie meals. I am basically still eating the regular program, but zero overt fats and very little salt/sugar.

Will report back soon with any news. :)
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:09 pm

I want to experiment with planning next day’s meals on here as part of my journal. I think it will be helpful. :)

Breakfast: 1/2 bowl steel cut oats, 1/2 bowl apple, pineapple, blueberries, mango, cinnamon.

Lunch: 1/2 bowl vegetable soup and Brussels sprouts, 1/2 bowl potatoes and beans, 1/2 cup grapes for dessert (+ 2 cups pineapple)

Dinner: bowl of soup, 1/2 plate steamed vegetables, 1/2 plate sweet potatoes/potatoes/beans, half an apple for dessert

Does anyone recommend any canned/boxed soups that are lower sodium to eat in emergencies? I work at Whole Foods so I know of one that would work, it’s the McDougall vegetable soup low sodium. Any others?
Last edited by taymariekay on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
taymariekay

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals