Jan's Daily MWL Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Jan's Daily MWL Journal

Postby jan_npr » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:29 pm

Gosh how times flies. I forgot to post for two days; but that could be because I was off track. As planned, we had overnight guests and I made a salad with oil and had bread with supper. Also had three bites of a vegan dessert. I also had some nuts, dried fruit and crackers that our guests put out. Oh and wine; I did plan for that. I have more guests coming later this month for two nights and I'll have to work harder at sticking with the program.

Could have been way worse but I wish I had gotten rid of the oily dressing and bread because I was back at it today for lunch. Oh well, I did manage to get her to take home all of the sweets and chips she had brought for us. And I just had a very satisfying dinner of yellow beans, black bean soup, and broccoli. I'm completely satiated.

I am committed now that I have to do MWL for weight loss success. My husband is still enjoying the program and his weight loss.
jan_npr

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:15 am

jan_npr wrote:Hi Annette,

Thanks for stopping in!

I am so like you with potatoes. I suppose I don't really need to mix things up with rice once and a while. However I do love white rice occasionally.

Looking forward to weigh-in day tomorrow although it feels like it has been a long week. Just set myself a new 30 challenge to walk for 30 minutes first thing everyday. Starts tomorrow.

Vive potatoes!

How's the morning walking going? I am aiming for 3.5 miles each day this week, as long as my feet can handle it (they might need the occasional day off).
AnnetteW

Postby jan_npr » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:34 am

annettew - Thanks for checking in with me on the walking. Got a walk in yesterday but not today (YET). Count me in on the 3.5 miles daily. I'll try to do the same. Go us!
jan_npr

Postby jan_npr » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:14 pm

Oh dear, yesterday didn't go as planned. Better days ahead.

Yesterday Meals:
Breakfast: coffee w soy milk (i know not compliant), yelllow beans and carrots, oats, blueberries, banana, maple syrup
Lunch: yellow beans, carrots, cauliflower, onions, Kichadi, potato
Supper: berries, mixed veggies, oven fries,
Snacks: TOAST w PB and j, mango, DEEP FRIED onions
jan_npr

Postby jan_npr » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:30 am

Much better day back on track. Playing 9 holes of golf today so I'll get some good steps in.

Yesterday Meals:
Breakfast: coffee w oat milk (but had added oil:((), berries, oats, blueberries, maple syrup
Lunch: big salad w mixed greens, potato, carrots, onion, balsamic
Supper: cabbage, mashed potatoes w mushroom gravy
jan_npr

Postby jan_npr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:46 am

Don't tempt me!

I'm like a dog sniffing out non-compliant food. I gave my husband a zippered lunch bag for him to keep his treats in the freezer long ago, works very well for me, and he left it unlocked. I found leftover cake that I had made for his birthday. He ate one piece on his birthday and neatly cut the rest into little slices, and individually wrapped and froze them. Yeah he's one of those kinds of people who can eat in moderation. I hadn't had any on his birthday (WOW!) and justified it that way. Onward! I was thinking of making one of those charts to track meals and aim for 80% compliance as Dr. Lisle suggests. Anyone else doing that or are you all striving for perfection? I was striving for perfection but maybe I'm just setting myself up for self-perceived failure.

Yesterday Meals:
Breakfast: coffee w SOY milk, berries, oats, banana, maple syrup
Lunch: big salad w mixed greens, potato, carrots, onion, chick peas, balsamic
Supper: stir fried mixed veg, baked potato, mushroom gravy, stir fry with white rice
Snacks: VEGAN CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE, water based cocoa

Exercise:
Golf nine holes (w hours)
7 minute whole body routine (LOVE this routine;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kf9nd4 ... 4jF9RA9BNY
jan_npr

Postby jan_npr » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:54 am

An unplanned absence from here for a few days. In emergency two days in a row with chest pain. Diagnosis PERICARDITIS. Feeling fine now with simple treatment. Ibuprofen and colchicine. I'm wondering about the colchicine because it looks like it promotes uric acid and therefore kidney stones. I am already prone to kidney stones so I hope the doc took that into account. If anyone has experience with this, would appreciate input.

So, I was off plan but could have been worse. Feeling sorry for myself I had bread, trail mix, and terra chips over the course of the weekend. Back on track today. Gotta love Mondays for a fresh start.

Total weight loss was 5.2 lbs on Friday (that' since May 18). Was super happy about that. Hope that I have at least maintained that this week.
jan_npr

Postby Jenna » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:07 am

Hi Jan,

I hardly ever post on these boards anymore, although I have been McDougalling for over 7 years (along with an elimination diet) to control my lupus. You mentioned you have pericarditis. I'm so glad you're okay!! I noticed earlier in your journal that you mentioned arthritis, so I wanted share some information about lupus. Pericarditis is pretty unusual, but it is fairly common in lupus. Here are the 11 symptoms of lupus, from https://www.lupusresearch.org/understanding-lupus/diagnosis-and-treatment/diagnosis/:
1. Malar rash – a butterfly shaped rash across cheeks and nose
2. Skin rash – raised red patches
3. Photosensitivity – unusually strong reaction to sunlight, causing a rash or flare
4. Mouth or nose ulcers – usually painless
5. Nonerosive arthritis – inflammation in two or more joints.
6. Cardio-pulmonary involvement – inflammation of the heart lining and/or lungs (this includes pericarditis)
7. Neurologic disorder – seizures and/or psychosis
8. Kidney disorder – increased protein or clumps of red cells in urine
9. Blood disorder – anemia caused by damaged red cells, low white cells or low platelet count
10. Immunological disorder – when your immune system attacks healthy cells
11. Antinuclear antibodies (ANA) – positive blood test not induced by drugs

Lupus is typically diagnosed if you have 4 of these symptoms. Another symptom that is not mentioned here that my rheumatologist asked about is Reynaud's phenomenon, which is where your fingers or toes turn white or blue when cold.

Anyway, I thought I would mention it because lupus is not typically something you would hear about in the ER. It can be difficult to get in to see a rheumatologist depending on the area (although many doctors have more appointments these days), but a GP can test for ANA and some other things that might help, and if they see anything concerning, they can refer you to a rheumatologist, which would be helpful. When I first got my lupus diagnosis I was terrified that my doctor would want to put me on a bunch of scary drugs, but the only medicine I take for it is Plaquenil (i.e. hydroxychloroquine), which has gotten a lot of press lately re: coronavirus, but it is actually a very safe drug with basically no side effects for most people when taken in appropriate doses. It has made my life way better. I also find that diet is extremely important. I did an elimination diet early on, and I know what foods work for me and what ones don't. Eating 100% McDougall is awesome, but beyond that, I am very bothered by beans, rice, tree nuts, and a couple of other foods. But elimination diets are very personal. Each person has to go through and figure out what their individual triggers are. Many people are bothered by nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants), but I do okay with those in moderation.

One other thing to note: for many people, the first big episode of lupus begins with a big sun exposure. If you were out in the sun prior to your pericarditis starting, that would be a big clue.

Anyway--feel free to PM me if you want to--and best of luck to you. I hope you are feeling better, and I don't want to scare you. I have found it to be very helpful to know what was going on and to create a plan to manage it effectively.

Jenna :)
Jenna

Postby jan_npr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:25 am

Yesterdays meals:

Breakfast: oatmeal, blueberries, banana, maple syrup
Lunch: veggie soup, stir fry veggies and rice
Supper: lemon potatoes, green beans

Snack: uh oh, tasteless unsalted RICE CRACKERS A WHOLE PACK; half of a package of vegan CHEESE. OH DEAR!
jan_npr

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 am

jan_npr wrote:Don't tempt me!

I'm like a dog sniffing out non-compliant food. I gave my husband a zippered lunch bag for him to keep his treats in the freezer long ago, works very well for me, and he left it unlocked. I found leftover cake that I had made for his birthday. He ate one piece on his birthday and neatly cut the rest into little slices, and individually wrapped and froze them. Yeah he's one of those kinds of people who can eat in moderation. I hadn't had any on his birthday (WOW!) and justified it that way. Onward! I was thinking of making one of those charts to track meals and aim for 80% compliance as Dr. Lisle suggests. Anyone else doing that or are you all striving for perfection? I was striving for perfection but maybe I'm just setting myself up for self-perceived failure.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition, I saw your comments after I saw this one and wanted to respond to this.

You are not alone. I too have such a difficult time following the plan to a T. And on the days I am "perfect" (for lack of a better word) I just eat so much quantitywise, I'm still filling some sort of hole in my belly.

Just saying you aren't alone in this. Now to figure out how to get out of this little trap.
AnnetteW

Postby jan_npr » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 am

My intention is to post almost daily here but it has been a while. Overnight guests and non-compliance. Boo hoo. Today is a brand new day!! Just had some steamed red cabbage and porridge is next. Not going to think about yesterday, only today. On a positive note, my abstinence from alcohol is going REALLY well and I'm sure that I am making better food choices as a result. Cheers everybody to a natural high!
jan_npr

Postby jan_npr » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:34 am

Well whaddya know, my weight is still going down despite my difficulties with entertaining. I feel really good. And I've had a few days in a row of getting up, getting dressed, and immediately going for a walk. Coffee is the reward instead of the first thing. And you know, exercise wakes you up! I didn't even feel like coffee when I got back!

Yesterdays meals:

B: cabbage, oats, strawberries, maple syrup
L: leftover veg lasagna, leftover stir fried veg, lentil soup
S: apple, asparagus, beans and rice over potatoes, salad, no fat dressing

Exercise: a few minutes of abs, 30 minutes walking.
jan_npr

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:23 am

jan_npr wrote:And you know, exercise wakes you up! I didn't even feel like coffee when I got back!

I noticed the same thing. What I did like was sitting around in the morning, enjoying my coffee while on the computer. Walking first thing changes your whole day.
AnnetteW

Postby jan_npr » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:36 am

yesterdays food:

After a great week and happy with my way in weight loss, I had a day off. Didn't want to do this but lacked control in the grocery store and bought a few items I was craving (vegan of course). And no it wasn't triggered by hunger. I had just had my breakfast. Back on track today and will need to make a plan so this doesn't happen again. I'm okay with planning the occasional meal off plan, but this was me not being mindful. Take a few breaths next time Jan. McDougall grocery stores would make life so much easier! haha

B: oats, berries, banana, maple syrup, coffee with soy milk, green beans
L: WAY off
S: WAY off
Snack: WAY off (got up in night hungry, couldn't sleep, and had starch, no 50/50)
jan_npr

Postby squealcat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Jan, I see that you are a walker. I LOVE my morning walks and try to walk almost every day. The heat has made it difficult but I carry on ! Most days I walk 3 miles and feel that my legs are getting stronger so that is encouraging to me. This fall I thought I would fit in an extra mile in the evening and see where it takes me. Don't know about the winter. I used to go to the gym. Don't know if that will happen this winter (our gyms in Michigan are not open yet anyway ). I may have to follow a walking video or something.

Anyway, just popped it to say hi ! I like reading your journal !

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals