Drew*'s journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Drew*'s journal

Postby Drew* » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

vegyluvver wrote:
Yep, finally managing to follow MWL most of the time. The weigh in thread really helps inspire me.

That's great Val! I like the MWL weigh-in thread too!
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:34 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Comments...

Weekly stats:

Since I am in the August MWL weekly weigh-in thread, I will post the results here as well...

8/7: 172.3 lb -7.2 lb
Male. 57 years old. 5'9 1/4"
BMI: 25.27

Explanation for weight loss:

The reasons for the loss are certainly due to mostly following the MWL plan. As for quantity of food, I had at least three satisfying meals that filled me up each day and sometimes a fourth one. Also, I decided to forgo salt...not just added salt, but salt sprinkles on my food. So some of the weight loss may be due to water weight. Also, although I ate a good quantity of food, I avoided snacking on non-MWL items like crackers. So the amount of energy reserves in my body (roughly 3 lbs) was possibly used up. Is this sustainable? Does it mean no exceptions ever? No. But I am trying my best to maintain the flow of MWL, which has a proven track record.

Exercise:

69 minutes of yoga.
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:27 am

8/8/2020

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsdown:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Comments...

Overall today went OK. Mark mentioned in the MWL August Group that saying "yes" or "no" on the 10-step plan could be a better way to go. My liquid calories were this evening over a movie with my wife. On the positive side, it was only one day out of the week. And I followed the rest of MWL throughout the day. This included three meals and for a snack during the movie I had hummus with roasted red pepper (no tahini) and baby carrots and cherry tomatoes (yellow). My other meals were my standard on weekends, but included a dinner at Shari's Cafe and Pies. I did not have pie, but fruit for desert. Had 2 baked potatoes with nothing on them but steamed broccoli without butter. I had a salad to start. The waitress brought me some raspberry vinaigrette that looked like it might be oil free. I had a drizzle of it, but mainly just ate the food with sprinkles of pepper (no salt).

Exercise: My wife and I went on a walk in a state park today and almost got lost! But it was 51 minutes with a day pack and I noticed some heavier breathing at times.

Side-comment: I know I have said that I will leave out my wife's meals of once or twice a week. They are vegan and usually starch based. However, it will help to be honest with myself and to note the exceptions that I make during a week so that I am aware and can take action if things get out of hand like a couple weeks ago. So far so good...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:15 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:

Comments:

I know I mentioned at the beginning of the month that I would exclude my wife's cooking from my evaluation of following the MWL plan, but I have since decided to just have an honest appraisal each day. I have the rest of the week to be more complaint. It is a day-by-day process. With that said, my meal with my wife consisted of organic marinara with less added fat compared to other brands. There was a small amount of cubed Italian Tofurky in the mix. The salt in the Marinara is also a little high. We also both had a plate full of whole grain spiral pasta. The meal did not include a salad or soup or extra veggies in the mix. But this is a meal that my wife and I like and we will not be eating together again for 5-6 days. And it probably is denser calorie-wise than MWL foods, but not nearly as dense as other types of food that have meat, egg, dairy, and more oil in the marinara. My wife adds cheese to her portion of the pasta and so does not miss out. For me, I do not miss out. And my vegan approach is across the board.

It felt good to eat plenty of starch today, but things will be taken down a notch tomorrow with more veggies and tomatoes in the mix. I have some SNAP meals for tomorrow in the freezer...MWL is the approach for continued wellness...

So there is a lot of potential here to continue to eat more MWL meals like I did earlier today at breakfast and lunch. This afternoon for instance I had a soup/stew of a bag of San Francisco blend veggies, some peas, collards, a can of no salt added chopped tomatoes, and a generous portion of brown rice and no oil ramen. It was a tasty mix. All my meals were filling and I only needed three today.

Exercise: 1/2 hour strenuous Yoga.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:28 pm

8/10/2020 to present

Comments... Things for my diet are progressing today, spilling into 8/11. Most of my meals consisted of cooked whole grain cereal with fruit; salad; vinegar infused with herbs and a small amount of thickener, spices, no salt added; more fruit; and SNAP menu. To add to my remaining rice SNAP meals in the freezer, I just made a big batch of SNAP with cubed sweet potatoes and peas plus the regular veggies. So far so good! It feels easier to do this compared to last week. I feel good about the process.

Exercise: 1/2 hour non-stop straight lifts.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:33 pm

Comments... My MWL plan worked well today. Each meal was satisfying and kept me going. I had three meals and a small bowl of my SNAP meal as a snack.
Exercise: 40 minute run.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:11 pm

8/12 and 8/13/2020

Comments... Both days went well and I was able to stick with my salads, SNAP menu, and fruit. Most of the meals have filled me up, especially when I include salad and bean dressing. If I am tempted to eat something outside the MWL plan, it helps to grab a container of SNAP. It sure helps to have containers of SNAP in the fridge or freezer. Meal prep helps a lot.

Exercise: Total of 60+ minutes of running.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:35 am

8/14/2020 to present:

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsdown:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsdown:

Comments:

172.2 lb -.1 lb
BMI: 25.25

My weight loss slowed this week from a loss of over 7 pounds the week before to .1 pound. Much of the weight was water last week because of salt reduction. So, I am holding ground and plan to keep on with the MWL plan.

Yesterday, what can I say? I reached for a processed vegan food (something with sugar, flour, and oil) in the freezer that was quite dense. Ideally it would not be there, but Monday - Thursday I do not have any "say" over what goes in the freezer. The rest of the day included some soy with rice for lunch and some tomato based dish for dinner (more soy in it) plus a little liquid calorie. This morning was better--cooked 7 grain cereal with some fruit mixed in.

Exercise: 15 minutes nonstop straight lifts and 60+ minutes yoga. Today my wife and I will go on a hike at a park.
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:01 am

8/15/2020

MWL plan:

Comments...

Overall the day went well. I had four meals today. The fourth one was a snack of carrots, small yellow tomatoes, fat free hummus, and watermelon. I did not starve myself today. The only reason that I have a thumbs down for a 50/50 plate is that my wife and I went to a restaurant. I ordered two baked potatoes with no butter, steamed veggies, and a salad with vinegar. The vinegar and pepper worked well on not just the salad, but the potatoes. The veggies were in a very small bowl and contained about half peas, lima beans and corn. So that is why I say my proportion of potatoes to veggies was not 50/50. But the meal was satisfying and I started it with the salad. On the whole, today was a success compared to yesterday.

Exercise…

My wife and I walked for 2.5 hours today in a wooded park. It was quite pleasant.
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 pm

MWL plan:

Comments...

Today I had three meals and they were all on a 50/50 plate MWL plan. I had a salad with two meals and mixed fruit with 7 grain hot cereal in the morning. I do not usually drink oat milk anymore and this includes on hot cereal. Liquid calories need to be the exception, not the general rule. I had fruit for desert in the evening. I felt satisfied from all the meals.

Exercise…

My wife and I did Yoga for 75 minutes. The Yoga probably works out to 30+ minutes of moderate exercise.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:54 am

8/17/2020 to present

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:

Comments:

Yesterday was a bit of a setback, but today is back to normal. I notice that when I am on the road rather than at home I get a desire for something that might be denser. It might be not only the craving, but stress from a variety of sources. When things don't go exactly as one would like, it is sometimes tempting to grab the dense food. So what do I do going forward? For one thing, finding time to sit even if it is for a few minutes after arriving at home, before grabbing something to eat, might help. Although mindfulness is an overused term I could use some of that and will work on breathing, etc. Another factor that I acted on was to request that one household member not take substitute deserts from the store that might be on my list of cravings. If she wants a treat, I am requesting that she get something that fits in with her likes, rather than mine. If I request something she could get it. If not, then it should be for her. She agreed, but I am not sure if she will remember. If it happens again and there is something in the freezer that is dense and vegan, I will need to just be vigilant with alternatives. And if I must have something dense, it would be best to deviate with a rich McDougall food. And maybe by the time I get around to consider making it, the desire will pass. And I've been meaning to watch more of Dr. Lisle's videos. So that is a plan too.

Otherwise, I feel good about how it is going today and my freezer is stocked with something MWL for lunch and I have a plan for what to do this evening...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Just a note to myself...so far so good today 8/18...back on track:

B: 7 grain hot cereal (1/3 cup dry) and a few rolled oats (maybe 1+ tbl dry and cooked with 7 grain hot cereal), fruit (blueberries, cherries, mini orange, and banana added to hot cereal)
L: Noodle soup (right foods), no seasoning pack; veggies; SNAP menu with brown rice and peas for starch (no beans). A mini-orange.

Both meals very satisfying... :D

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:25 pm

MWL plan:

Comments...

Today I had three meals and they were all on a 50/50 plate MWL plan with either soup, salad, or fruit. Got to get more SNAP groceries tomorrow. My plan is to make a big batch. If I have time, I may make some bean burgers as well.

Exercise…

40 minute run. It felt good to get outside today.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:51 pm

8/19 to 8/21/2020

I got a little behind in my postings this week, so here are three days’ worth—three thumbs up = success for three days, two thumbs up = success for two days, etc.:

MWL plan:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Weekly weight on Friday…

171.8 lb -.4 lb
BMI: 25.19

Comments...

The reason there is only one thumb up for added sugars/salt and added oil, is that I had a couple dishes with issues. One dish prepared by a family member had a layer of brown rice, beans, salsa, and canned green beans. I had a generous portion too along with a big bowl of steamed veggies from the freezer. The same goes for a couple Fit Hit Bowls from Taco Time the next day. They had all veggies, seasoned rice, black beans, corn salsa, medium salsa, and mixed veggies and lettuce. I told them to not include the pumpkin seeds. Both dishes had some salt. Also both dishes had small amounts of added oil. The rest of the time my meals were 100% MWL including a big batch of SNAP meals that included some whole grain couscous! This evening I had salad, couscous, steamed veggies, ½ can black beans, and fruit.

Exercise…

30 minute run; one hour yard work; 40 minutes strenuous yoga.

Side-comment…

It is nice to get back on track, especially on Friday. I find that the SNAP meals are a good staple. I find the meals filling after a salad and fruit for desert. I have no urge to over-consume the SNAP meals because they lack salt.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:41 pm

8/22 to 8/25/20

Four days’ worth—four thumbs up = success for four days, three thumbs up = success for three days, etc.:

MWL plan:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Comments...

The weekend was a bit of a challenge, but overall I am getting back on track from Monday on. Also, a majority of my meals on Saturday and Sunday were on track. It is the exceptions that made things a challenge.

Exercise…

4 hour strenuous hike on Saturday. On the way down, I asked my wife to steady herself on my shoulder. She also was able to use her elbow on the middle of my shoulder blades. This way we were able to get down the slope safely before dusk... 40 minute yoga session (easy) on Sunday, 30 minute run on Monday, and a 40 minute run today.

Side-comment…

It is nice to get back on track, but I may pay the price on Friday for the MWL weight loss group weigh-in due to some decisions that were a bit too frequent the last two weeks. Well, it is one day at a time...

Drew*
Drew*

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals