Drew*'s journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Drew*'s journal

Postby Drew* » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:53 am

8/26-8/28/2020

Three days’ worth—three thumbs up = success for three days, two thumbs up = success for two days, etc.:

MWL plan:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Weekly weight on Friday…
171.5 lb -.3 lb
BMI: 25.15

Comments...

Figuring out what to do on Friday would have helped some...picked up some fast food version of vegan burritos while trying to get from point A to point B...

Exercise…

Worked 1+ hour lawn mowing and weed eating Wednesday; 40 minute run on Thursday; 10 minutes stationary bike and 30+ minutes strenuous yoga on Friday. Today my wife and I may go on a hike...

Side-comment…

"Discovered" S&B Oriental Curry Powder and it is nice in canned tomatoes with a little crushed dried chili, veggies and rice medley...plan to pick some up on Monday...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:13 pm

For a brief while yesterday I contemplated a shift from MWL to the standard McDougall starch based plan. Both are good. My problem this last week or so is that I did too many exceptions to the rule. Weekends are not easy for me, but some of the exceptions occurred during the week such as a batch of a McDougall chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal recipe. While they were tasty they did not help and because of the same and other exceptions I did not do a weigh-in on Friday. These rich foods need to be few and far between for me to succeed and I imagine that my weigh-in this coming Friday will show just what I’ve done! But even so, I am resolved to get back with MWL group and join in sooner rather than later because it makes no sense to stop at this point since I am not at a desired point for weight maintenance.

Meanwhile I "discovered" that I may need a little extra starch with my meals. I run and exercise with Yoga and my body needs the starch!

How did I "discover" this? Well, my plate over the weekend included two pieces of Food For Life Ezekiel 4:9 bread topped with a bowl of mostly non-starch veggies and peas or corn and finally layered with a SNAP meal. It is a tasty combination and perhaps close to MWL, but not quite due to the bread.

What is the solution to the bread issue? I have found a recipe in the McDougall app that may do the trick. It is a choice of either baked millet or baked millet breakfast squares (for lunch and dinner in my case). I may also reduce the amount of fruit that I am consuming. I will report back if I find the baked millet and less fruit a good strategy for MWL going forward.

My MWL reporting will not be so great today, but for the most part I am getting back on track here...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:06 pm

9/6/2020

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsdown:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsdown:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Meals:

B: 1 meal container of SNAP, California veggies, peas, 2 Ezekiel 4:9 toast under it all (am making some baked millet breakfast squares for tomorrow)
L: black beans, rice, lettuce, avacado slices, onion bowels (2 of them)
D: a plate of whole wheat spaghetti spirals, low fat marinara, 1/2 of a vegan Field Roast Chipotle serving chopped up in the sauce (I know...but my wife cooks a little for dinners on occasion and I like that); grapes

Exercise:

50 minute run on a trail nearby (I planned on 40 minutes, but it took longer to get back because of the hills).

Comments:

Despite the thumbs down it seems that I have a plan for the rest of the week that is MWL.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 am

9/7/2020

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsdown:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Meals:

B: Baked millet breakfast squares and unsweetened apple sauce; coffee
L: Kale salad with cherry tomatoes, citrus dressing, Asian garbanzo spread, bowl of mini-carrots & tiny yellow tomatoes for dipping, strawberries.
D: Wife made a meal, which is always appreciated: Rice, steamed Asian veggies, fried tofu squares, sweet/salty sauce, miso, and watermelon.
Snacks: Small mandarin oranges - three

Exercise:

45 minutes intense yoga.

Comments:

On a positive note, I have a plan for the rest of the week that is MWL. Plan is to prep them out and have plenty of salad with citrus sauce.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:34 pm

9/8/2020

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:

Meals:

B: Baked millet breakfast squares a little unsweetened apple sauce, small orange, coffee
L: Container of SNAP, cherry tomatoes, whole wheat couscous.
D: Rice medley, black beans, lettuce, celery, onion, no salt added salsa. A second dish of left-over whole grain couscous, lettuce, and can of no salt added tomatoes.

Exercise:

30 minute run.

Comments:

I got pretty full at dinner. I might have eaten too fast and thus had the extra dish. Perhaps the salsa is processed more than I realize… But despite the full stomach, I managed to jog for 30 minutes. The sunset was a deep red due to wildfires, but beautiful.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:37 pm

9/9/2020

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:

Meals:

B: 7-grain cooked cereal, mixed berries, coffee
L: Container of SNAP, baked millet breakfast squares, mixed berries.
D: Container of SNAP, baked millet breakfast squares, California blend veggies, peas & carrots, corn, 1/2 can no salt added garbanzo beans made into a fat free hummus sauce; two tangerine size oranges.

Exercise:

30 minute run.

Comments:

Frozen veggies are so helpful to have around!

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:56 pm

9/10/2020

Meals:

B: rolled oats cooked cereal, mixed berries, coffee
L: rice medley (whole grain), California blend veggies, peas & carrots, corn, 1/2 can no salt added garbanzo beans made into a fat free hummus sauce, mixed berries.
D: whole grain cooked couscous, California blend veggies, peas & carrots, corn

Exercise:

30 minute run.

Comments:

There were so many veggies for dinner that I'm counting it as a "salad." Starting tomorrow, I want some fresh leafy veggies too.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 pm

9/11/2020

MWL plan not being reported today, Friday, but see below:

Weight on Friday…

170.9 lb -.6 lb (from 2 weeks ago)
BMI: 25.06

Comments...

I had too many triggers yesterday on Friday to do a meaningful report. I did well with one of the MWL points since I am vegan: no meat, egg, or dairy. My decision on a day where I just fail is to get back at it the next day. It makes no sense to stop a good thing...

The other thing that will help (as I remain indoors with a fan blowing with a filter strapped to it as the NW is saturated with smoke) is to be mindful...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am

So, for the last 3 days, things have been on track with one exception Monday night (flour/oil). I made a great batch of Longevity Soup using the McDougall App. I followed the recipe to a T except for the spices, which were curry and a little garlic. Also, it helped that the water (6 cups) was mentioned in the recipe. I doubled the batch (12 cups of water) and had to cook with two pots. I may buy a larger pot. I did not realize that water is included! Now my soup is a real soup! It tastes like soup rather than a SNAP meal. I'm thinking that the soup is going to be included in most of my meals when I have it available! I'm not sure how the weigh-in will go on Friday because like I said it has been 3 days of virtually full on MWL. The only difficulty has been exercise. With the shroud of smoke in the West my custom of running outside has stopped. Two days ago I hopped on the exercise bike. Maybe today I will do so again and also do 1/2 hour of straight lifts. For now, I have other tasks to do... So the exceptions will need to continue to be eliminated today ... one day at a time here...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:53 pm

9/17/2020

Meals:

B: 7 grain cooked cereal, mixed berries, small orange, coffee
L: on the go and missed it...need to plan a bit
D: large salad with citrus dressing, longevity soup, baked millet breakfast squares, broccoli, strawberries

Exercise:

50 minutes of yard work (pushing mower, etc.)

Comments:

4 days successful. Other days partially successful.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:07 am

I enjoyed the following quote from an article in Psyche:

"The American philosopher Harry Frankfurt in 1971 illuminated the difference with his distinction between the things that we simply want and the ones that, after consideration, we want to want. For instance, if I want a doughnut and eat it, I’m simply following my desires, the wants I find myself having at any given moment. But if, on reflection, I don’t want to eat junk food (or, at least, not often) then I have the capacity to veto these wants in the light of what I know I want to want. This kind of freedom requires self-restraint. A person without this capacity is not truly free but is what Frankfurt calls a ‘wanton’: a slave to his desires.

"The consumer society encourages us to act like wantons. So when it is disrupted, by war or pandemic, so too is the lazy habit of acting on desire without proper reflection. Any time when our ability to act on impulse is severely restricted, we have the opportunity to break the habitual link between desire and actions, and question whether the desires we act on are the ones we endorse, all things considered."

I do not endorse the SAD diet. Therefore I will begin posting again my MWL diet progress! So far so good...had fruit, cooked 7-grain cereal, apple sauce, and coffee... :D

Drew*

Reference

Article by Julian Baggini, 10/5/2020, https://psyche.co/ideas/in-a-pandemic-w ... being-free
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:31 am

Yesterday was a good day. I fully followed MWL...all 10 points. So I will give myself a thumbs up! Today things are going well. I had fruit, cooked oatmeal, and coffee. I am finding that a little tabasco added to my dishes that have no salt added is nice. Today, the plan is for salad, soup, and "breakfast" millet squares with veggies. Tonight I cook a new batch of longevity soup with curry. I've got veggies and potatoes in the freezer too.

The following is also a quote from the article mentioned above and inspires me to choose each day MWL...it is a daily task: "I’ve been trying to make more considered choices, which means saying ‘No’ more often and picking my projects more carefully. Many of us are now making hard choices, the most authentic ones we have made in years, to try to live a life more aligned with what we truly value, with what we want to want."
--
Drew*
Drew*

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 am

I like the quote...there is freedom in restraint.

My hobby is Zentangle, an art form that uses limits to help creativity (among other things like mindfulness and gratitude). That is, with pencil you line out a "string" on a 3.5x3.5 tile. You then draw patterns of your choice within the limits of the string, using ink. The resulting piece ends up looking pretty cool, IMO. And part of that is the limit supplied by the string. It's like a guideline, delineating a place to stop, and gives the artist somewhere to start as well. Thus, some of the decisions that an artist is confronted with are already made.

Looks like our limits during this pandemic might provide some sort of stop, and possibly opening up new ways, new habits... good quote. I'll read the article, too.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Drew* » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:55 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:I like the quote...there is freedom in restraint.

My hobby is Zentangle, an art form that uses limits to help creativity (among other things like mindfulness and gratitude). That is, with pencil you line out a "string" on a 3.5x3.5 tile. You then draw patterns of your choice within the limits of the string, using ink. The resulting piece ends up looking pretty cool, IMO. And part of that is the limit supplied by the string. It's like a guideline, delineating a place to stop, and gives the artist somewhere to start as well. Thus, some of the decisions that an artist is confronted with are already made.

Looks like our limits during this pandemic might provide some sort of stop, and possibly opening up new ways, new habits... good quote. I'll read the article, too.

Thank you for the information on Zentangle and my apologies for the late reply. My workload is going up and down depending on scheduling issues that are not totally in my control and I got especially busy and rebelled a little from MWL (not with meat, egg or dairy, but some other parts). I am now back and appreciate the idea of finding something like art that one could do within the "limit supplied by the string." That makes sense for the MWL approach as well. And it is helpful perhaps that this pandemic has given us a chance to work on an alternative way of doing things. I know that in the past the standard McDougall diet worked well, but it seems that the MWL approach is more workable for me when I do it. The thing is, not staying within the lines drawn is not useful. And I also like the quote! "Freedom in restraint"! Hope to participate a bit more at this point in the journal forum and to perhaps use some of my own efforts in mindfulness such as meditation and running to get me back within the limits! I will notify you on your own journal that I have posted this. Hope you enjoyed the article or the concept!

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:45 am

10/20/2020:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsdown: (soy sauce with cucumber/carrot sushi)
Meals:
B: 7 grain cooked cereal, mixed berries, coffee
L: longevity soup with peas
D: layered beans, rice, salsa and green beans, longevity soup, carrot/cucumber sushi, pineapple
Exercise:
30 minute run.
Comments:
Maybe I ate a bit too much for dinner, but was not overly full. The soy sauce mixed with wasabi and coconut aminos was probably not a good choice. Will look for alternatives. However, I seem to be on track....

Drew*
Drew*

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals