Drew*'s journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Drew*'s journal

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:04 pm

Thank you for the information on Zentangle and my apologies for the late reply. My workload is going up and down depending on scheduling issues that are not totally in my control and I got especially busy and rebelled a little from MWL (not with meat, egg or dairy, but some other parts). I am now back and appreciate the idea of finding something like art that one could do within the "limit supplied by the string." That makes sense for the MWL approach as well. And it is helpful perhaps that this pandemic has given us a chance to work on an alternative way of doing things. I know that in the past the standard McDougall diet worked well, but it seems that the MWL approach is more workable for me when I do it. The thing is, not staying within the lines drawn is not useful. And I also like the quote! "Freedom in restraint"! Hope to participate a bit more at this point in the journal forum and to perhaps use some of my own efforts in mindfulness such as meditation and running to get me back within the limits! I will notify you on your own journal that I have posted this. Hope you enjoyed the article or the concept!

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the drop by on my journal. I sometimes post on other people, then forget who I've visited LOL so I'm glad you came by. I've heard that a hard workout can really change your mind, as well. Like, wear yourself out physically to humble yourself and learn things about yourself. :nod: It also ties in with the old warning "Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it" and that applies to processed SAD non-foods. Their appeal is 100% in the tastebuds, and they are destructive. We CAN eat that stuff, but SHOULD we?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Drew* » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 am

10/21/2020:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Meals:

B: fruit, berries, cooked 7-grain cereal, coffee
L: longevity soup, salad, layered beans, rice, green beans, and salsa, grapes
D: longevity soup, easy taco casserole with mix of beans, Italian veggies, crushed tomatoes, a little water, rice, and seasoning, fruit
Snack: carrots

Exercise:

30 minute run and 15 minutes non-stop straight lifts

Comments:

Today was a good day for following MWL. I want more days like these!
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:
Hi Drew,

Thanks for the drop by on my journal. I sometimes post on other people, then forget who I've visited LOL so I'm glad you came by. I've heard that a hard workout can really change your mind, as well. Like, wear yourself out physically to humble yourself and learn things about yourself. :nod: It also ties in with the old warning "Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it" and that applies to processed SAD non-foods. Their appeal is 100% in the tastebuds, and they are destructive. We CAN eat that stuff, but SHOULD we?

Thank you for your remarks and example of exercise. I know how it is to wear oneself out physically with exercise especially when the gyms have been closed so long and all of a sudden they are open by appointment! And you are right that sometimes one just knows that the exercise was too much to handle at one time. And it does take some time for the body to recover! It is true with the SAD food as well. If one eats that stuff, one's desire for more could be activated and one could want more of a bad thing. And then it takes resolve to "want what one wants to want" because it is healthy and will get things back on track. And that SAD food does not help the body out and could set one back in a move towards better health. Fortunately, if one knows that SAD is available, but chooses in freedom to not eat that stuff, then the negative influence on the body could be stayed off or improved.

I like your quote: "We CAN eat that stuff, but SHOULD we?" And although the answer is clear about SAD foods, it helps to answer for resolve! NO! That's my plan today! Thank you!

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:54 pm

10/22/2020:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Meals:

B: fruit, cooked 7-grain cereal and berries, coffee
L: longevity soup, salad, 2 Wendy's plain baked potatoes and chives, strawberries, carrots
D: longevity soup, easy taco casserole with mix of beans, Italian veggies, crushed tomatoes, a little water, rice, and seasoning, carrots, strawberries

Exercise:

30 minute run

Comments:

It felt good to stick the MWL.
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:10 pm

MWL list to come later today for two days...

I had a tough week with some setbacks, especially with popcorn! My plan in this coming week on the MWL checklist is to do the following as mentioned by Mark: "crowding out that popcorn and replacing it with plenty of starch, veggies and fruits"! That is my plan and my actions are what will count.

Exercise: Yoga yesterday was quite nice...plan is to do it again to center...

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:09 am

MWL

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 1 of 2
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 1 of 2
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 1 of 2
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 2 of 2
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 0 of 2
6. Eliminate any added oil. 1 of 2
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 0 of 2
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 1 of 2
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. 1 of 2
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 2 of 2

Score for two days: 10 of 20

Remarks:

Overall, despite some exceptions, I ate lower calorie plant-based foods. On both days I had some soy. On one day I had popcorn. Today, my wife offered me some mochi that had a little sugar and flour. Had it with my meal. Tomorrow, my plan is to improve on MWL!

My wife and I did yoga two days in a row and it was quite enjoyable.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:34 pm

11/9 & 11/10/2020

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 2 of 2
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2 of 2
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 2 of 2
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 2 of 2
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 1 of 2 (soy)
6. Eliminate any added oil. 2 of 2
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 1 of 2 (small amount of crackers)
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 2 of 2
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. 1 of 2
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 2 of 2 (projected because of two exercise sessions tomorrow to make up for Monday)

Score for two days: 17 of 20

Remarks:

On Monday I had some soy with my meal and ate a bit too much at dinner. Today I had a small amount of crackers (for me) and it was with a meal with some bean, longevity soup, and SNAP menu. On the whole I had cooked cereal, SNAP menu, and longevity soup. I plan to go on two runs tomorrow to make up for Monday and because of the holiday. Plan is to run in the morning and before dark. The runs really help as a stress reducer.

Drew*
Drew*

Postby Drew* » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:30 am

11/11 to 11/13/2020

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 2 of 3
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2 of 3
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 2 of 3
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 3 of 3
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 2 of 3 (soy)
6. Eliminate any added oil. 2 of 3
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 2 of 3
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 3 of 3
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. 2 of 3
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 2 of 3 (projected because of two exercise sessions tomorrow to make up for Monday)

Score for two days: 22 of 30

Remarks:

I’ve noticed that my “exceptions” are more frequent when I use them as rewards for eating a few days in a healthy way. Also if I am tired or stressed at the end of the week due to my schedule and sleep schedule, I may make an exception. I will keep this in mind going forward and figure out some strategies. My weight went down this week and is reported in MWL.
Drew*

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals