Tian-De's Log

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Tian-De's Log

Postby Tian-De » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:49 am

FOOD
Breakfast: Oatmeal, a banana, and blueberries
Lunch: Oatmeal, a banana, and blueberries, plus raisins
Dinner: strawberres and grapes, rice, stirfried veggies, stir fried dried tofu, more rice

MWL Checklist

Weight change +/- in lbs: last week 166.2 lbs, 2 days before weigh in.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 2/3 Fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 2/3 While a Chinese dinner looks like this, there was enough oil that I can't check this last meal.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 3/3
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 3/3
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 2/3 Dinner had dried tofu, but I only ate a couple bites to be polite.
6. Eliminate any added oil. 2/3 The dinner had oil
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 1/3 After lunch I bashed on some raisin. Though I felt this was better than anything else available at the school store.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 3/3
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 1/3 didn't follow the principles after my lunch and dinner, though I did eat until full
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 0/3

total: 18/30

SLEEP AND ACTIVITY
DC2: Day 18
C1: 11:10 - 2:00
C1-C2 gap.: Watched "Heroes", made this log , meditated
C2: 5:13-7:00
C1-N1 gap: Ate Oatmeal, Went to class, worked on books for class
N1: 11:45-12:00 Didn't sleep, but felt well rested
N1-N2 gap: Ate oatmeal, Watch "Heroes", Read "Zhuan Falun", got my class started, took my wife to the eye doctor, read "McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss"
N2: 5:10-5:30: Skipped nap
N2-C1 gap: Large dinner
C1: 10:55-2:00 Disturbed early on,
C1-C2 gap: Meditated, Watched "Heroes", made this log , Read "ZHuan Falun", Cleaned the kitchen

SPIRITUAL PRACTICE:
Meditation: 40 Minutes
Reading: Maybe an hour and a half, not sure

VIRTUES:
真Truthfulness: -Lied about meditating and reading at night by not acknowledging that I often watch a lot of TV or do other things. +Started breaking up my binge watching by reading a paragraph after every scene. Much easier to stop and move on to something more productive.
善 Compassion: +Made sure I was there for the start of my 1st period study hall class, even though I needed to go to an eye doctor appointment later
忍 Tolerance: -My heart was stirred with I was accused of waisting time, even though I thought I was doing the right thing. I need to keep a calmer mind.
世界需要真、善、忍
The World Needs Truthfulness, Compassion, and Tolerance
Tian-De

Postby Tian-De » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:47 am

FOOD
Breakfast: Oatmeal, an apple, and blueberries
Lunch: potatos, bananas, and fresh salsa
Dinner: salad, noodles with cucumber and kimchi
Cram circuit: Veggie chips and salsa + Soy milk

MWL Checklist

Weight change +/- in lbs: last week 166.2 lbs, 1 days before weigh in.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 3/3 Fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 3/3.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 3/3
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 3/3 Some anchovie in the kimchi, but not enough to be significant.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 3/3
6. Eliminate any added oil. 2/3 the veggie chips had some oil in them.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 2/3 That cram circuit!
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 2/3 Soy milk
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 2/3 Cram circuit... :mad:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 0/3

total: 21/30

SLEEP AND ACTIVITY
DC2: Day 19
C1: 11:00 - 2:00
C1-C2 gap: Meditated, Watched "Heroes", made this log , Read "ZHuan Falun", Cleaned the kitchen
C1-N1 gap: Ate Oatmeal, Went to class,
N1: 11:45-12:00 napped
N1-N2 gap: potatoes, Watch "Heroes", Read "Zhuan Falun", went to class
N2: 5:10-5:30: Skipped nap
N2-C1 gap: had dinner then picked my wife up
C1: 10:55-2:00 A bit hard to wake up, but not too bad
C1-C2 gap: , Watched "Heroes", Read "ZHuan Falun", made this log

SPIRITUAL PRACTICE:
Meditation: 0 Minutes
Reading: Quite a while.

VIRTUES:
真Truthfulness: Read a lots, picked my wife up on time despite being a distracted
善 Compassion: Told a friend the true story of Santa Claus
忍 Tolerance: Read a good article about sharing ideas effectively.
世界需要真、善、忍
Tian-De

Postby Tian-De » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:57 am

FOOD
Breakfast: Wasn't Hungry
Lunch: potatos, veggie soup
Dinner: chili burritos, chips and salsa, grapes

MWL Checklist

Weight change +/- in lbs: last week 166.2 lbs, 0 days before weigh in.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 1/3 Fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 3/3.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 1/3
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 3/3
6. Eliminate any added oil. 2/3 the veggie chips had some oil in them, The torillas had a small amount as well.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 1/3 That cram circuit!
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 1/3 root beer
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 1/3 Didn't follow the principles for dinner

total: 15/30

SLEEP AND ACTIVITY
Dual Core 2: Day 20
C1: 11:00 - 2:00
C1-C2 gap: , Watched "Heroes", Read "ZHuan Falun", made this log
C1-N1 gap:Rough morning
N1: 11:45-12:00 napped
N1-N2 gap: potatoes, went to Sam's
N2: 5:15-5:40: Big nap
N2-C1 gap: Dinner + FaceTime with Fam
C1: 10:55-2:00 Had a dream
C1-C2 gap: Read "McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss", Watch a little "Heroes" Read "Zhuan Falun"

SPIRITUAL PRACTICE:
Meditation: 0 Minutes
Reading: Quite a while.

VIRTUES: 真Truthfulness 善 Compassion 忍 Tolerance
I need to be a better listening and take my own thoughts and notions more lightly.
世界需要真、善、忍
Tian-De

Postby Tian-De » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:57 am

FOOD
Breakfast: Oatmeal, apple, blueberries
Lunch: udon noodles with wakami, oranges
Dinner: rice and beans with veggies, scallion bread

MWL Checklist

Weight change +/- in lbs: last week 166.2 lbs, 0 days before weigh in.

0. Only eat foods left of the line: 1/3 Breakfast

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 0/3.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 2/3 Udon Soup was super salty
6. Eliminate any added oil. 2/3 the bread had some oil in it.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. 2/3 That cram circuit again! I could have gone without
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 3/3
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. 1/3 Didn't follow the principles for lunch or dinner

total: 19/30

SLEEP ADAPTATION
Dual Core 2: Day 26
Maintained Sleep Times: C1 was a bit late, but yes.
Productive during gaps: Waisted time watching TV.
Energy levels: Normal and refreshed
Time to fall asleep: It took a while in C1

SPIRITUAL PRACTICE:
Meditation: 33 Minutes
Reading: 80 minutes

VIRTUES: 真Truthfulness 善 Compassion 忍 Tolerance
New Years Resolutions: Track prepts for abstention for a year.
世界需要真、善、忍
Tian-De

Postby Tian-De » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:11 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:
Last Week: 168
This Week: 168.3

Typical Day this week:
Breakfast: Oatmeal with a fruit and berries
Lunch: lentil soup, millet porrige, a piece of fruit
Snack after work: scallion bread (taking a hit on oil and flour)
Dinner: Burritos with rice and sweet pototo, sometimes tofu.
Dessert: Oatmeal

Summary: Always very starchbased, but not enough veggies to constitute MWL mealplan. More like 80%-90% starches.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Not often. By the time I have a chance to eat, I'm craving oatmeal.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Again, not to good on this this week. Overall more like 80/20.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Generally perfect, but had instant oatmeal with brown sugar for dessert several times.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Good
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Had tofu three times.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Some Chinese sauces have oil in them. My typically afterwork snack is scallion bread, but I think there's a noticable portion of oil inside.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Again, after work, all bets have been off. Tortillas and bread have been a regular staple at this point in the day.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Nearly perfect. Had a sip of coke and a cup of grape juice.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Great at eating when hungry, and the vast majority of my meals are very McDougall friendly, but have had a harder time "following the principles" after 4 PM.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I meditate daily, but have had trouble getting exercise in. This was so much easier when lockdown started last year and I was home everyday.

Victories: #1 Despite no weight loss these past two weeks, my resting heart rate has dropped from 65-55 since I started. This feels like a big win. I attribute this to eating mostly in line with the "Healthiest Diet on the Planet" book (80-90% Starch). #2 I've stopped buying oily foods during lunch at work. I do get millet porrige regularly, but have stopped buying pan fried fried veggie dumplings or veggies in chili oil (Which I used to eat at lunch regularly). SOmetimes, I get veggie pizza without cheese. I used to add oil or nuts to these to feel more pizza-like, but have been taking lots of clementines to the bakery to pre-load before hand instead.

Concerns: Every day between 5:30 and 6:00, I have some downtime before I leave work. I typically walk by a small restaurant that sells Chinese bread and scallion pancakes. At this point in the day it's extremely hard to resist. I need to get in the habit of not even looking in that direction when I walk by that place. Salty, oily, pancakes are the hardest thing to resist at that time of the day, and they often set the mood for the rest of the evening. I've been considering keeping a bowl of fruit in my classroom, so that I can munch on something when I pass that place.

Comments: Work and home-life have been really stressful (not bad, just intense). Doing MWL was much easier before when I was home everyday and had full kitchen access. I find myself preping food in the 5 minutes before I'm rushing through my morning routine. To make it more difficult, my wife has been doing more of the shopping, and often gets things she knows I like (Tortillas, Chips, etc.), but doesn't understand why I'd rather avoid them. In her words, "When you see Americans, they look unhealthy when they're fat, but you look like a healthy fat. It's not even fat, it's meaty. It makes you look like a rich guy or a boss. Yeah, you look like a boss. :lol: " For Chinese people, dietary restriction is such a bizzare concept (which makes sense looking at 99.9% of history). To make it harder, it's nearly impossible to say no if an elder offers you something to eat. It's seen as really disrespectful, so I've had to pick my battles careful. That said...

I need to acknowledge that I prepare or purchase 90% of the food I eat, and that I cannot blame other people. Personal responsibility is important.

All said, I'm happy about the heart rate win. And generally high compliance with "The Healthiest Diet on the Planet".
世界需要真、善、忍
Tian-De

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals