Mutual Accountability

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mutual Accountability

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:43 am

Greetings, all

This thread is for those who are interested in being accountable for our daily food choices, and weigh in. We decided against the MWL forum because some of us aren't following MWL and have other goals besides weight loss.

Guidelines are simple:

1) post daily, recording your weight and what you ate.
2) post truly. If you ate off plan, record that.
3) hold others accountable. Don't be afraid to point out "erm, that's off plan"
(e.g. in my experience, I once posted about eating tortilla chips and said "but I didn't eat anything deep fat fried today" and someone pointed out what I had missed: Tortilla chips ARE deep fat fried. I had in mind deep fat fried dough things like donuts and fritters, but yeah, crispy things are also deep fat fried.)
4) In your initial post, state your goals. This will help to keep track of how you're doing as you post day-to-day.

To make sure people are notified, use the quote feature. That should notify the person quoted that they have a response.

If anyone can think of other guidelines, post them. I can include them in an edit of this top item.

How long should we carry on?

Here goes!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: Mutual Accountability

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:58 am

BUNSO'S GOALS

Wanted to start with my goals. The main thing is to retrieve myself from the Pleasure Trap, which I walked into during my honeymoon and haven't been able to get away from since then. This means disciplining myself to stop eating foods that add to my cravings, and I know the trifecta of salt, fat, and sugar is the biggy. So, my first goal will be

Eat Only Whole Foods. A simpler way to state that is "No Processed" because processed foods all use salt, fat, and sugar to addict us and keep us coming back for more.

My first goal then is "No Processed Anything" to eat.

Today is Tuesday. I'm taking the advice of Moonlight and making my first efforts on a meal-by-meal basis. One meal at a time. Therefore I won't set a time span for this.

So...No Processed Anything to eat for my next meal is the finished statement of my goal(s). That's all I'm doing for now.

FOODS:
B: oat clusters (bananas, rolled oats, ground flax seed, and dates);
S: a square of dark chocolate (I know, I know! not on plan...I will give it up soon, I promise)
L: baked potato; progresso Southwest Bean Soup; field greens
D: baked potato; homemade lentil/vegetable soup with spinach

A word on the dark chocolate. I know I need to ditch it completely. I've already cut it back to MUCH less than I had gotten in the habit of eating. Today I have already had a square of it, so I include it. Tomorrow I may not have any at all. It is a work in progress. Chocolate will soon be a rare feast day treat for me. :nod:

WEIGH IN:
238 lbs this morning on the bathroom scale. Down from 240 on Saturday morning.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks for starting this. I think your starting post is perfect. As for how long to go, let's just see how it goes, and if we keep up with it.

My personal goals for this thread are to post my daily(or close to it) weights. I will continue to post in my journal what I plan to eat and exercise for the day ahead, and will post here what I actually did, and that way I can highlight what is on/off plan/compliant, etc. I aim to follow MWL at home and also SS for dinner (to allow a little less restriction with my husband). I do tend to eat out a lot with friend which is what messes me up, yet I don't want to give that up. I want to use this for being more aware, and as you said, have others call me out and possibly help me stay on track a bit more.

Diet on Mon, 11/8
Breakfast - Oats, pear, stevia
Lunch -large salad, 3 small potatoes, vinegar/salt/pepper
Snack - pomegranate
Dinner - Soup(veggies, white beans, potatoes, white pasta), homemade bread, beet salad
Snack - unsalted raw sunflower seeds in the shell
Exercise - 30 min on spin bike, 1 hour yoga class, 25 min weights, hula hoop

All in all a good day food/exercise wise. The items in red are all SS, and don't really bug me too much to be honest.

Weight this morning 150 (totally freaked me out)
AnnetteW

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:13 pm

I am in. I will post as often as I can remember. :D

My goal is to actually eat on plan every day and no refined sweeteners (sugar, maple syrup, honey, etc.). I’ve had too many treats lately. Also got to get the sodium down again, it has crept up. Yesterday was my recommitment, and I am doing fine so far today.

Today’s food:
Jeff’s oatmeal
Brown rice, stir fry veggies, tofu
Chocolate smoothie
Taco night
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby moonlight » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks, Buns, for getting this thread started. I want to join! I'm a little concerned with posting every day but I will try.

My goals are:
1) To have a BMI between 22-23
2) To reduce BP to under 120/80
3) To exercise at least 5 days a week
To achieve my goals, I plan to follow the MWL plan 90% of the time (I have made an exception for whole wheat breads occasionally and air-popped popcorn). I have reduced salt and caffeine intake.

Today I weigh 171, my BMI is 26.8.

Today’s Food:
B: oatmeal with blueberries
L: vegetable soup, onion bun and bocca burger
D: WW pasta, low calorie spaghetti sauce, spinach, carrots, onion, and garlic
Snacks: WW pita bread with garbanzo bean spread (mashed beans mixed w/ FF Dijon dressing); WW toast with honey
Actual Exercise: none

I don’t think I did much today to get closer to my BMI goal! I did manage to leave the salt shaker alone. My BP this morning was 119/80. :)
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:28 am

Here's my plan for the day. My weight has jumped to 173 today. :eek:
B: oatmeal with fruit
L: bulgur, steamed broccoli and mushrooms
D: sweet potato and spicy greens
Snacks: carrots and celery and apple or orange and potatoes
Planned Exercise: WaterRower and HASFit weight training
moonlight

Postby Morris » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks so much for starting this thread,

My Goals
1. 128 pounds
2. Controlled eating of snacks
3. Eat only when hungry and until satisfied
4. Exercise daily either planned or spontaneous

I usually am on my computer only in the mornings so i'll have to post a what i ate:
coffee
apple crisp
curried squash soup

Subway - footlong veggie delight, Sunchips and orange juice

apple crisp

Although not 100% compliant with the WFPB WOE yesterday was a success because I only had planned eating and did not overstuff myself. Plus, I did a 5-miler on the treadmill.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:56 am

serene wrote:My current workplace has more free junk food than anyplace else I've ever worked. Today, there were cookies, belvitas, and CrackerJack, but almost every day there's something.

But I conquered the cookies today! So glad I took plenty of healthy snacks to work.

B: potatoes, onions, ketchup, non-dairy milk tea with sugar
L: beans, corn, spicy carrots, and pomegranate salsa
D: James's soup
O: carrots, pickled green beans, apple

I would have a very hard time staying away from the Bel Vita. Them are some GOOD cookies. But you did terrific! Do you have the recipe for pomegranate salsa?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:06 am

Good morning. I have to still go back and see what others have written. I plan on keeping my "daily plan" in my journal, and here is where I'll post what I actually ate the day before, to see if I was compliant. Following my plan isn't a goal for me.

Weight this morning - 149.4 (lower than yesterday, but it's definitely up a solid 2 pounds...not so good)

Yesterday's food
Breakfast - cooked sorghum, blueberries
Lunch - large microwaved potato with veggies soup on top (which had some white pasta in it)
Snack -12 oz bag of frozen cherries
Dinner - 2 servings of veggie stirfry and 2 servings of brown rice
Exercise - none really

There were a few beans in the soup, but my diet was lacking legumes for the most part. White pasta is obviously not compliant, but it wasn't much and when the soup is gone, I have whole wheat pasta now instead (I stocked up). The frozen cherries are just a too large of quantity, hence questionable, same with two servings of brown rice. I should have had only one. And no exercise isn't on plan, but whatever. Little things to keep working on.
AnnetteW

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:28 am

Plan for today:
Jeff’s oatmeal
Leftover stir fry and brown rice and/or taco bowl
Cocoa balls?
FOK Creamy Wild Rice Soup and salad (and maybe bread?)
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 am

Gee, I thought I posted for today, but don't see my post here.

Anyway, because most of my time here is during down times at my job, I probably will post my meals as

Dinner
Breakfast
Lunch
Snacks

using dinner from the day before with the current day's brekkie and lunch.

So.

Dinner: quesadilla style (refried beans and seasonings inside two corn tortillas, cooked like a quesadilla); salsa
B: oat clusters; blueberries; chocolate; cup of coffee with non-dairy creamer
L: baked potatoes under lentil stew
S:

also want to track my quiet time. I plan on making a habit of 20 minutes a day, imagining myself thin. That starts today, last half of my lunch break.

Did not step on the scale this morning. Will record weight tomorrow.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Plan for today:
Jeff’s oatmeal
Leftover stir fry and brown rice and/or taco bowl
Cocoa balls?
FOK Creamy Wild Rice Soup and salad (and maybe bread?)

Followed the plan for today. Got invited to two get togethers full of food and booze. Trying to figure out how to socialize without blowing it. One is my favorite movie at my mom’s, and my sister is bringing tater tots, French onion dip and chips. Ugh. I’d have to come up with something I can eat instead. The other event is at a restaurant, which I may skip just because I’m feeling overwhelmed right now. Off to an early bed time!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby moonlight » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:04 am

moonlight wrote:Here's my plan for the day. My weight has jumped to 173 today. :eek:
B: oatmeal with fruit
L: bulgur, steamed broccoli and mushrooms
D: sweet potato and spicy greens
Snacks: carrots and celery and apple or orange and potatoes
Planned Exercise: WaterRower and HASFit weight training

Actual Eats and Exercise and Meditation:
B: oatmeal with blueberries
L: bulgur with broccoli and garbanzo beans
D: sweet potato with greens
Snacks: apple, orange, oven French fries, too much ketchup..., 1 slice zucchini bread, air popped popcorn with honey
Actual Exercise: none
Sitting Meditation: 30 minutes

Yesterday I packed a lunch and snacks instead of not - that's because I knew I would have to write down in this thread what I ate. So, thank you all for being here!! I'm feeling down because of my night time choices... It will get better. I don't have much time this morning to write. I'll catch up later today. I hope you all have a great day!!
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 am

Seriously, everyone is doing well. We are all eating well, and our downfalls are so minor in the big scheme of things. We just keep at it.

@Lyndzie, the eating out situation has become one of my biggest hurdles, I look forward to the day I just go out and not eat. Ha ha, as if that will ever happen.

Weight this morning, 148.6, so it's definitely going down from that high of 150 the other day, and I ate a lot of food yesterday.

Yesterday's compliance (ok, so don't laugh at my dinner)
Breakfast - oats, 1/3 c. white beans added, 1 cup blueberries, dash of stevia and salt

Lunch - at "On the Border" I ordered sided of black beans, corn tortillas, avocado (3 tiny slices), pico and lettuce. It made great tacos, beans were salty, but the best thing, it only came out to under $5. Boom! Spending $12+ for a measly salad has pissed me of lately.

Snack - came home from a long day and ate a pomegranate

Dinner - husband was home sick, no dinner plans and I started in on homemade bread, almond butter and honey. I had 4 big pieces and some extra almond butter off the spoon. Caloriewise, this was through the roof, but I was finally satisfied

Exercise - yoga class, weights, hulahoop class (lots of good exercise)

Thoughts - I'm putting the bread/almondbutter/honey in the bad category. If I had only had 1-2 slices and no extra tastes then I would have considered it SS, but this was in the bingey category. Still not the worst choices ever, but there was no way a salad was going to satisfy me, pasta would have with beans, but I wasn't in that state of mind.
AnnetteW

Postby Morris » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 am

AnnetteW wrote:Good morning. I have to still go back and see what others have written. I plan on keeping my "daily plan" in my journal, and here is where I'll post what I actually ate the day before, to see if I was compliant. Following my plan isn't a goal for me.

I like this idea, having one spot for my plan and another to post if I stayed on plan.

What I ate yesterday:
coffee
black beans and rice

minestrone soup, homemade with black beans and veggies
company muffins

apple crisp

I stayed with my plan pretty much throughout the day. But my weight jumped up again today - the apple crisp is really a naughty dish - (SAD recipe with butter and sugar) only good thing about it is the oats and apples
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals