So What Now? 2019 - Geo

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: So What Now? 2019 - Geo

Postby geo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:03 am

11/23/2019

B: oatmeal with raisins
L: rice and potatoes and corn with veggies and BBQ sauce
D: Rice and corn and veggies with salsa.

E: none

Good day today. Got about 7 hours sleep so feel a lot more energetic today. Work was a bit on the slow side which was good for me as well since its my friday today...found out I'll be working on turkey day. Thats no big deal as we usually eat around 2-3PM for our turkey "dinner". I'll be cooking turkey and ham and stuffing and mashed taters and sweet potatoes and a vegetable medley and rolls and corn bread...usually I'll also make cranberry sauce and we'll get a pie and ice cream for desert. Of course, my food will be separate and MWL, but I may also have a small bite of stuffing or so and thinking I may make some frozen banana/strawberry "ice cream" for myself. Now I'm making myself hungry lol.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby geo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:40 pm

11/24/2019

B: oatmeal and banana
L: rice and veggies and salsa
D: potatoes and veggies and apple

E: Deadlift, bench press, seated overhead press, bent over rows, squats, stretches.

Great day today. Slept fairly well. Got some work done on my computer and had a nice walk with our dog. Then did my exercise which went really well. Felt strong in everything and when I was done I didn't feel nearly so tire as I have previously. In fact I felt pretty refreshed. Not sure why today went so well but I'm not complaining lol.
geo

geo

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:50 am

geo wrote:11/24/2019

L: rice and veggies and salsa
D: potatoes and veggies and apple

E: Deadlift, bench press, seated overhead press, bent over rows, squats, stretches.

Great day today. Slept fairly well. Got some work done on my computer and had a nice walk with our dog. Then did my exercise which went really well. Felt strong in everything and when I was done I didn't feel nearly so tire as I have previously. In fact I felt pretty refreshed. Not sure why today went so well but I'm not complaining lol.

I like it! Sounds like things clicked for you :) Keep it up
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby geo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:58 pm

11/25/2019

B: oatmeal and cinnamon and banana
L: Rice and corn and veggies with a little salt
D: rice and potatoes with veggies and salsa
S: apple

Felt good and relaxed. I got really b usy with things lately and thus am late yet again on posting today. I'm a bit delayed on talking about stretching/flexibility because I am so busy these days. But I haven't forgotten and wll get to it this week one way or another. Plus this week is extra busy with turkey day and cooking duties and Black Friday which will make work especially crazy this week. Oh well I guess its better than having nothing to do lol...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:02 pm

You know I'm all about safety in weight lifting...and yet this is what one of the strongest men in the world gets up to:

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/amp2 ... ts-injury/

I know, being the best at anything doesn't mean you can't also do stupid thngs :roll:
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Q: So what does my stretching excerse consist of?

A: I follow a routine that was published in the book: "3 minutes to a pain-free lfe" by Dr Joseph Weisberg PT, PhD. Its an excellent book that I've wrote about before. I use the "aintenance Method" recommended by the book to keep my body and especilally my back pain free. It has worked quite well for me and I recommend the book highly, especially if you suffer from back pain.

The routine consists of 6 stretching exercise that you do for approximately 30 seconds per exercise or a total of ust 3 mins of stretching. I know that doesn't sound like much but t really does work for me. Right now I'm on ly doing the stretches onces a day on my exercise day at the beginning of my routine. But I plan to expand this to 3 sessions a day. Once in the morning before exercise and once at night before bed. Its only 3 mins so its easy and no reason not to.

Now understand do these stretches particularly for my back since I've had a lot of back issues over the years, most self -induced by doing stupid things... However I plan to also start a more vigourous and complete stretching routine that I will do on my off days to keep my body more limber.

But for now here are the 6 stretches that I do...in the order they should be done in. Hopefully the explalnations will make sense.

1 The Bow - Kneel on the floor with your butt on your heels. Now stretch you arms and back out in front of you as far as you can. Hold for 30 seconds.

2.The Arch - Now get on your hands and kness in the doggy position. Now arch your back and drop your head down then in a contios movement reverse the process and bend your back backwards and raise yourd head to look at the cieling. This conitunous movement should be done in about 10 3 secs. Repeat this movement 10 times for a total of 30 seconds. Besure to stretch at the top and bottom of each position.

3. The Lizard - Lay on the floor on your belly with your hands planted flat on the floor by your chest (i.e., same position that you would use for a push-up. Now raise your upper body off the floor with your head held high looking at the cieling and bend you back as much as you can keeping your legs and pelvis on the floor as much as possible. hold for 30 seconds.

4. The Squat - bend down in a full squat with your butt touching your heals like you use to do as a kid. hold your arms around your knees in front of you to hold the position. Hold it for 30 secs.

5. The Splits - stand and spread your legs apart as far as you can. Now bend at the waist forward and try to touch the floor with your palms. Hold for 30 seconds.

6. The Sky Reach - sit on the floor with your legs crssed, Indian style. now lift your arms up and reach for the sky. Try to kep your fingers of each hand intertwined together. Keep your head level and looking forward whle you stretch your arms upward as far as you can. Hold for 30 seconds.

And thats it, 6 exercise for 30 secs each. A total of 3 minutes stretching...all of which you should be able to do in less than 5 mins taking a few seconds between each movement to rest and get into place. It doesn't sound like much but it works great for me. Now of course their are more details in the book on these exercises that I've left out for brevity. Also the book includes a bunch of other routines and stretches specifically designed for all sorts of other muscular aches and pains. BTW, if the exercise sound a bit familiar and yet strange, its because the good Doctor is found of mixing traditional stretching movements with yoga style movements to get the best of both. The book is out of print I beleive but you can still get it off Amazon for cheap used.

I'll say more about other stretching methods and routines that I beleive in and will start soon enough so stay tuned...but for now that basic routine is a great starting point for anyone just startng out in a new exercise program. Be safe out there...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 pm

11/30/2019

B: oatmeal and raisins and cinnamon and banana
L: Rice and veggies and salsa
D: Rice and potatoes and veggies and tomato sauce

OK so I've missed a few days of my journal due to just being very busy with work and life...at work, this is the busiest time of the year and work doubles and triples over the rest of the year. Its been crazy busy and its tired me out quite a bit but its all good. I'm feeling great and I've definitely kept up with my exercise and yes I ate MWL for turkey day as well, with the exception of cranberry sauce which had more sugar than i like but still good. I don't fear sugar or salt. So no worries here. At any rate, I'm back and playing catch up here.

Q: So what aspects of "fitness" do you find important?

A: I usually consider these 9 factors as most important in terms of overall musculo-skeletal fitness:

1. Strength (resistance) conditioning
2. Cardiovascular (aerobic) conditioning
3. Flexibility/Stretching conditioning
4. Endurance conditioning
5. Neuro-muscular (skill) conditioning
6. Mental conditioning
7. Nutrition - EAT THE McDougall WAY and nothing else really needs be said!
8. Sleep/Rest
9. Continuous Learning

Now there are other factors that are important in terms of fitness but they all really fall under one or more of those big 9 factors, at least to me. Within the following year I hope to touch on all of these factors and how we might best go about improving in all of these areas under my rubric of S.E.E. ...Safe, Effective and Efficient. Again, I'm no expert, but I do read and experiment a lot which has helped me in developing my opinions and conditioning program and I work really hard at staying up with the latest in what science has to say and what I've found that works and what doesn't. And in the end, this year will either prove me out or show me a better way...either way I'm excited and quite motivated right now. As always time will tell...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:10 am

12/1/2019

B: oatmeal with maple syrup banana
L: rice and veggies with salsa
D: hash browns with veggies

E: Big 5 lifts, stretching, 1-minute HIIT routine

Good Day, felt great, slept ok. Workout was good and progress continues as expected. I've added in my HIIT cardio routine now. I'm following the routine recommended by Dr Martin Gibala in his book: "The One Minute Workout, Its truly cutting edge info, We'll see how well it works.

Basically it consists of the following (I'm using stationary cycling as the exercise):

1. 3 mins of easy cycling as a warm up
2. 20 sec all out sprint
3. Rest or very light easy cycling for 2 mins
4. 20 sec all out sprint
5. Rest or very light easy cycling for 2 mins
6. 20 sec all out sprint
7. 2 min light cool down

And that's it. A total of 10 mins wherein you are doing a total of only 1 minute of extremely hard exercise. You do this 3 times a week. Dr Gibala in his study shows that the results of this training on normal sedentary men and women using this protocol for 12 weeks the subjects achieved the same cardio results as those who were doing 3 x 50 mins traditional endurance training a week. So essentially, 1 min of all out sprint effort done 3 times a week was the equivalent of traditional 150 mins of moderate exercise a week that is generally recommended. Hard to believe, but he's shown it to be true in several studies...even doing studies using over-weight and obese men/women. Again, we will see how this works. What we don't know is if the results can be continued over the longer term. His studies were for only 3 months (12 weeks). Will it continue to show fantastic results for months and years? No one knows for sure...but hey we can find out :-)

So that pretty much completes my exercise routine: 3 times a week of stretching, HIT resistance training and HIIT cardio training. Can't wait to see the results after a year on this old body...
geo

geo

Postby Ejeff » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks so much Geo for sharing all this information. You really save me a lot of time not having to research all this myself. I will start the same cycling routine next month when I have a gym available. I’ve recently added the stretches you recommended. :-D

I’m usually a very active person, but over the last while I have not focused on cardio and I know I should be doing something for that. I like the idea of cycling as less stress on the joints. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby geo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:57 am

Less stress on the joints is very important to me. I used to do a lot of weightlifting/bodybuilding in my early twenties that has left me with bad knees, back pain and shoulder pain. Damage that hasn't improved with age. So I'm always searching for better ways to workout to try to ameliorate the past issues. Thus you don't see me running much and cycling is much easier on my knees. And the stretching routine that I currently do, while full body,is specifically for saving my back. You can easily, do a lot more stretches for a fuller body stretching routine, which I will probably do in the near future, especially on my off days to just sty more limber.

There are 2 older, out of print books that I really like on stretching, both by Judy Alter who was a ballet professional and taught Dance.movement as a University professor. Her books are out of print but can still be found used on Amazon:

"Surviving exercise" was her first book and has pretty much everything you need to know about stretching.
"Stretch and Strengthen" was her second book that greatly expands on her stretching method and includes good info on incorporating body strengthening exercises along with stretching to produce an even better effect. I highly recommend both books and shes all about safety.

Lots of people like Bob Anderson's old Stretching book. It is a classic but I don't personally care for it as its full of stretches that many feel are not the best or safest to be doing. But if you want a fairly complete book on every kind of traditional stretch imaginable its pretty good. I don't recommend it however. There is another older book by Thomas Kurz called Stretching Scientifically, which I also have and don't recommend. It was written in the early '80's and been reprinted a few times up into the early 2000's. Its really all about doing those ultimate stretches like full frontal splits and such as might be needed by martial artists. I don't think its very scientific or safe but it does claim that the average person can learn to do the full splits in 3-4 months using his stretching routines. Why you might want too? I don't know, but to each their own cup of tea I guess.

So all of this is just to put into perspective of why I'm doing these particular routines and exercises. Don't slavishly follow what I do, rather read, research and understand the particular methods and why they work and how best to incorporate them into what you are trying to achieve. I've spent decades trying to learn this stuff and I'm still learning and reading and studying and most importantly trying things out to really understand what works (at least for me) and what doesn't and why. Much like in nutrition, there is a lot of BS out there. Just be careful and safe. If you do something that hurts...just stop! Proper exercise will make you sore, for awhile, but it should never be painful and never exercise through pain or while your injured...and if you have any issues please do see your physician...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:55 am

12/02/2019

B: oatmeal and cinnamon
L: potatoes and veggies with salsa
D: whole wheat spaghetti with marinara and veggies and a banana

Good day, felt good slept ok. Other than that, it was a restful day and didn't do a heck of a lot besides walking the dog and taking a little trip to the store.

Some interesting links about the usefulness of stretching:

https://www.painscience.com/articles/stretching.php - this is a very long article thats mostly just negative on the usefulness of stretching...it has lots of citations...and is a very good read...gives you something to think about.

And here's a good TED talk on what stretching is and the seeming best way to do it...hint: 5 minutes a day/6 days a week of static stretching (like I like) according to one large meta-study... : https://ed.ted.com/featured/jRqHvBs9
geo

geo

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am

geo wrote:You know I'm all about safety in weight lifting...and yet this is what one of the strongest men in the world gets up to:

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/amp2 ... ts-injury/

I know, being the best at anything doesn't mean you can't also do stupid thngs :roll:

And another day, he pushed himself so hard he blacked out and POOPED HIS PANTS. :shock:

yeah, let's not be stupid.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby geo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 am

12/3/2019

L: rice and veggies and BBQ sauce
D: Potatoes and corn and raw veggies and apple
S: orange

Good day overall. Slept ok, but still not sleeping as I would like. My expectations of changing my sleeping schedule due to my change in work schedule seemed to go smoothly for the first week or two, but now seems to be not as good as I had hoped. Still, its a work in progress and with all the other changes I've made, especially in my new exercise schedule, I have to expect that it will take some time getting back to a normal sleep schedule. You can't expect decades of a normal sleeping pattern to be overcome in a matter of a few weeks or months and I suspect given my age that is even more true. None-the-less we will prevail over time.

Q: So how much muscle can one gain through resistance training?

A: No one knows for sure but there do seem to be some definite boundries to human potential. Most would agree that for men, the average amount of muscle gain (given proper exercise over a lifetime) would be about 40-50 lbs of muscle. For women its about half this.

Q: and how long will this take?

A:Again, no one knows for sure, but Dr Casey Butt, one of the foremost authorities on anthropometric data of bodybuilders and strength athletes says that the average man can reach their genetic muscular potential in about 10 years of training. That seems like a long time for many. However thats because muscular/strength growth is not at all linear. You gain more in the early years of training and growth slows down over time as you get closer to your genetic potential. Much in the same way that weight loss is faster in the beginning and then slows down over time as you get closer to your minimum weight.

So how fast can the average person gain muscle/strength. according to Dr Butt. The average male can attain 88% of their genetic potential in only 3 years of training and about 97% of their genetic potential in 5 years. That sounds much better right! In only 3 years of hard training you can reach almost 90% of your genetic potential of muscle/strength growth. I think thats very encouraging.

Now of course you have to temper this with age. Your potential at 20-30 ears of age is greater than your potential at 40-60 years of age. So the younger you start, the better off you are.

Some other interesting data from Dr Butt:

* The average man can gain approximately 10-20 lbs (some say the upper limit may be closer to 25 lbs) of muscle in their first year of training and every additional year of training they will gain about half that amount. So if you gain 20 lbs in your first year, you could expect to gain 10 lbs in your second year and 5 pounds in your 3 year and 2.5 pounds in your 4 year and 1.25 pounds in your fifth year, etc...

* Again for a woman it would be about half that of a male.

* Of course this is all predicated on hard,proper training, adequate rest, and proper nutrition. Don't get this right and all these numbers are just a pipe dream.

Now the best source I've found on the theory of all this that includes references and calculators to determine your own genetic potential based on various body part measurements can be found in these 2 long articles:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/your- ... al-part-1/
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/your- ... al-part-2/

Also, a lot of good info can be found at Dr Butt's site: http://www.weightrainer.net/articles.html#Casey_Butt

That should keep you all reading for a good long while :-)

By the way, Dr Butt did write a short 50 page e-book on "Your Muscular Potential" thats based on over 6 years of work on gathering anthropometric data on over 300 of the best bodybuilders and strength athletes since the 1940's till now to create some very interesting calculations on what you can expect given your particular body measurements. Its a great read but does cost $10 and probably not so useful to those that just want to have an idea on what their potential might be...the above links are free and will pretty much get you what you want to know.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:47 am

12/4/2019

B: oatmeal and cinnamon and banana
l: potatoes and veggies
D: rice and corn and veggies and tomato sauce and orange

E:None

Good day. Still working on my sleep as I'm struggling with it a bit. I have a plan to get me back on track but it will take a while. All this exercise, plus change in eating pattern,plus change in sleeping time due to my night shift job is really causing havoc with my normal sleep pattern. Its just going to take a little work to get it to all settle back down into a new routine. Part of the plan is to stay on my night shift at work for another 4 months to help settle me into this routine. I kind of like the night shift now and there is a pay differential thats helpful as well. The objective is too shift my sleeping pattern by about 5 hours later. Normally I would be asleep by 10:00 and now I want to be asleep by 3:30AM. That means I also need to adjust my eating pattern as well as right now I eat my last meal of the day to close to when I need to be asleep which I think is what is causing a lot of my adjustment issues. Time will tell how well I do...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am

12/5/2019

L: rice and beans and veggies and salsa
D: rice and corn and salsa and orange

E: Big 5 resistance, stretches, HIIT cycling

Good day. Slept a little better, though Karen woke me up about an hour earlier than normal, not sure why. Feeling a bit tired after workout, but it was a good workout and I continue to progress in all my resistance exercises. I got a pretty good pump today and felt good throughout the day. Work was a bit challenging but the night went quick and I was asleep as soon as I hit the pillow. So my sleep issues is not about getting to sleep, that I do easily. Its about staying asleep.Seems like I wake every 2 hours or so during the night. Sometimes feeling fully refreshed which means I have to get up and do something to tire myself a bit before I can get back to sleep. So my issue is trying to get more continuous sleep as opposed to this broken pattern I'm experiencing right now.

Q: Can HIIT style training improve brain functioning?

A: Yes! There have been quite a few studies on this in the last few years that show a definite brain improvement by High Intensity Interval Training (amongst other positive effects as well), even more so than standard moderate exercise and at any age!. To wit:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27187097
https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2558 ... -function/
https://aaptiv.com/magazine/hiit-can-bo ... tal-health
https://www.thecut.com/2017/04/the-spee ... brain.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... erformance
https://health.usnews.com/wellness/fitn ... rain-power
https://darebee.com/fitness/hiit-benefits.html
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... l-training

Remember, workout progressively, workout with purpose but above all, be safe. S.E.E it...then do it!
geo

geo

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals