Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby sirdle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 am

I am constantly surprised at how filling potatoes are. What an awesome food!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:33 am

Wednesday Oct 23, 2019

I was so busy yesterday, did eat right though, and so grateful to go to bed at 8:30 pm! Monday I went to water aerobics, only did 30 mins but it felt so good! Yesterday I was soooo sore! Clearly I need to do this more often.

I made a new recipe from the McDougall quick & easy cookbook, Red Lentil Sauce. I added a few more seasonings including Italian herbs. It's tasty, served over potatoes. We sure have to do a lot of cooking eating his way. I am craving a vegetable soup, so bought the ingredients for that. Plus will make more of the NY Times veggie burger recipe soon. They really are filling and satisfying.

I do need to eat more calcium. I can always tell when my fingernails start to shred, break back to the quick, etc. I eat broccoli almost every day but need something else. I bought bok choy for the veggie soup. I do eat beans almost every day, in at least 1 meal.

Other ideas?

Today I will finish apple for fruit, oatmeal with berries and flax seeds & hemp hearts for dinner Broccoli and steamed carrots. And going to start another painting, studying trees and fall foliage. But first? a walk outside in the 'sun'.

Have a great day.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 am

Thursday and MWL weighin for October. I lost .6# which is good. Slow and steady wins the race for my aging body.

We have some few glorious fall days so I like to walk outside. Water aerobics on Monday kicked my as* because I haven't gone much lately. So sore on Tuesday. Clearly I need to do more of this, and will.

Today I channel Jeff N and make a simple stir fry with beans, veggies and serve over rice. And I want a veggie soup, so will make that. I save my veggie trimmings and use them to make veggie stock. Saves a few $$ and is probably more nutritious and tasty. Plus I need to make more veggie burgers.

But first, must start a painting!

Carry on, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:37 am

Sat Sept 24, 2019

I am helping my son finish exterior painting on his house. Whew good exercise. My body is only good for 2 hours of it though. We have a few days left of good weather before sliding into the curve to the rainy season.

Before I get started on anything else, I am making a quick stir fry and a pot of this veggie soup so there is food ready for me for later.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... table-Soup

Since starting MWL in mid-July, I have lost 9 #s. I can see the difference now. But need at least another 8-9#s to see if the smaller swimsuit fits! Most importantly, I have modified my eating behaviors and patterns and that's the best thing of all.

time for the acorn squash, potatoes and carrots to go into the oven for roasting.

Rest, recover, recommit, renew, re-energize, replenish, repose...R words today. I am MWL strong today. Hope you are too!
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:34 am

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2019

Bye bye October! I have been busy, but finding it 'second nature' now to think MWL foods to eat. On Sunday I had a black bean & spinach burrito lunching out with family, at a reasonably vegan restaurant. But scales the next day showed 1# gain. I know it's sodium. And the portion size was too big.

OK, I have a busy day but will enjoy my roasted yam, and will finish up the veggie soup I made with extra potatoes and carrots. Oatmeal with flax seed, hemp hearts and berries. This is apple season and will enjoy some tasty ones.

Boooo!!! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:02 am

Monday, November 4, 2019
November is here! It's a fast few weeks to the holidays now. I am always glad for December 26th. Here in the NW, we are in a drought and need rain. BUT, I so enjoy the sunny days! I take any chance to walk outside now. Rain might return end of this week.

I am seeing new to me, lower, numbers on the scale. Approaching my 1st goal for weight loss, and it seemed unbelievable two months ago. I lose very slowly (age related probably plus the old body can't pound it out in the gym anymore). I have made peace with it.
Patience!

And I am enjoying what I am eating now. Have figured out a formula that works for me. Today I have a lot of potatoes to roast, and will probably prepare another quick and easy stir fry ala Jeff N's fast foods. It really works for me. There are some great apple varieties in the store now, so will indulge in a couple of them for the week ahead. I have cut back to maybe 1 fruit a day (plus berries on the oatmeal). I wonder if that is helping me lose weight a bit faster.

Have a good day.
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 am

Hi Marsha,

Congratulations on finding a groove with your approach to eating. That sure makes a big difference. I know what you mean about seeing the new you. After I lost about 30 pounds I could really see the difference. I kept enjoying looking at myself in the mirror (I still do!).

I hope you have a good day. :)
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:16 am

Friday, Nov 8, 2019
I haven't been posting daily because I have confidence in my eating choices now. I lost another .8# last week, even dropped to a lower # but bounced back. I do this, so now I know it will happen. Staying tight on what I eat although a doctor appt went 2 hours! I wasn't prepared for missing lunch before grocery shopping so I ate a 'healhy' taco salad (no sour cream, too much guacamole on it), and 2# up the next day, likely sodium effect, and portion size too big. Had to fight to lose it and a little more.

So today for breakfast I had oatmeal with ground flax seed, hemp hearts, frozen berries and almond milk. Still hungry an hour later, so I had some good split pea soup (with carrots & potatoes) with some rice and a left over yam. Now I am satisfied.

I need to cook something else today. Yams, red potatoes, carrots will get roasted. We do cook and prep a lot of food!

Started a prescription med for severe hay fever and allergies. It seems to be working. I feel better!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am

Monday Nov 11 2019

Wow, this morning the scales showed a new low #, 185, which was my first goal weight. Now to hang onto it until Thursday's MWL weigh in. And I have to set a new goal. 180. I had no idea this was even possible when I started late July at 197.

I found a very good frozen quinoa and veggie mix, has beans and edamame in it. Plus I add chopped up bok choy. Excellent for my stir fries and serve over rice. Lots of veggies to roast today including my first butternut squash.

It's a good start. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm

deweyswakms wrote:Monday Nov 11 2019

Wow, this morning the scales showed a new low #, 185, which was my first goal weight. Now to hang onto it until Thursday's MWL weigh in. And I have to set a new goal. 180. I had no idea this was even possible when I started late July at 197.

I found a very good frozen quinoa and veggie mix, has beans and edamame in it. Plus I add chopped up bok choy. Excellent for my stir fries and serve over rice. Lots of veggies to roast today including my first butternut squash.

It's a good start. Marsha

What brand and what store did you find the veggie mix at? I like to keep those sorts of things on hand for quick meals.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 am

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2019
Wow, November is flying by.

I haven't been journalling much because I just keep saying the same things and I was rolling along on the MWL highway. Last week I hit a new low #. Then my body bounced back with 1.5# gain. I know why. Been battling allergies and not feeling good enough to keep up with exercise or motivation. I let some bad habits creep back in. So I am back on track now. Last night I had such a yummy big bowl of roasted veggies including beets and butternut squash, with potatoes and steamed spinach. Today is a quinoa/rice mixture with veggie chili.

I am also testing my Thanksgiving dish, chickpea-quinoa pilaf. Going to roast the chickpeas 1st to see if it enhances the favor. Recipe is in the Veganomicon cookbook.

Happy Wednesday, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 am

Lyndzie wrote:
What brand and what store did you find the veggie mix at? I like to keep those sorts of things on hand for quick meals.

Sorry to take so long to reply. I can't remember where I found it, but will check the stores where I shop. It's really good. The brand is "Flav-R-Pac Ancient Grains, Asian Quinoa blend."

When I find it again, I will buy several! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Saturday Nov 23rd, 2019

My fridge is full of prepped MWL foods. I have lost that darn +.6# I had to report on Thursday. And I just tried the orange and red cabbage salad that I will take to Thanksgiving feast. Fortunately 5 or 6 other vegans will bring food too. It makes a mess to fix but is surprisingly tasty. I'll probably make it again the night before, so the flavors can develop overnight. https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.hypr2e

I am curious what other recipes you will be preparing?

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:33 am

Wedn Nov 27, 2019

Despite the extra food temptations, I am committed to dropping more weight. I know what I am taking to the Thanksgiving family & friends feast (the yummy red cabbage and oranges salad). So I can focus on staying MWL compliant. Today I will roast the rest of the potatoes and carrots. I will probably do another 'fast food' stir fry (so simple and easy and tasty). Fortunately my corner of the NW dodged the bad weather, which means a few days of 'sunny' weather to spend hiking outside.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:08 am

Hello December and Winter!

Note to self: Keep journalling for accountability. I was into a MWL groove and hit a lower weight, but then bounced back and onto a loaded Thanksgiving table. It's as if I forgot everything I knew! So back to basics. Today I will make a vegetable bean soup with chopped collard greens, plus roast potatoes and cook more carrots. Broccoli to be steamed. I really like potatoes and carrots. Exercise will be a walk outside. I have been faithful with some yoga stretches for my achey hips. They really do help.

Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals