Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:13 am

Good Friday morning, April 24, 2020 in the Year of the Virus

I am maintaining steady, not gaining or losing, and that's OK. I do want to drop another 3-4 #s though, so have to rededicate myself to the plan. And important to not get disspirited with the chaos that surrounds us. So I try to keep my days simple and calm; avoid the news cycle as much as possible.

Using Mark Cooper's idea for a basic lunch: 1/2 head of red cabbage, 5 or 6 big collard leaves, and a sweet potato, all thrown into a steamer basket and steamed. Once that is cooked, dump everything into a bowl, dress with a can of NSA tomatoes, lemon juice, vinegar and seasoning blend.

My local grocery for dried goods like rice, beans, lentils, nuts, flax seed and hemp hearts, now has NONE in bulk food bins. So have to buy the prepackaged items which are more expensive. I can afford it, for now. Still lots of produce and potatoes available! and frozen fruits & veggies.

I do walk as much as I can; miss the swimming pool which is so good for my aging and achey body parts.

Hope everybody is doing well. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:43 am

Monday, April 27, 2020 in the year of the virus

Hurry up May, let's get this over so hopefully social isolation can ease up and people can get back to work, safely of course.

I really miss swimming! My old body misses it a lot; I have new stay-at-home, too-much-sitting, aches. It's interesting the things I really miss the most and want back: a haircut! In another month, I might be able to make a small bun in the back. Card games with my friends. Being able to go out without worrying about staying 6 feet away from people.

Sadly, I think this virus and these social distancing rules will be with us for months, maybe 1-2 years, until a vaccine is available.
So I am moving into the Acceptance phase. And Adaptation.

MWL eating mostly still on track; I do admit to some small bits of comfort foods. And at least our chilly Spring weather might be moving out. Exercise really helps me keep my feel-good hormones active; a brisk walk really helps me.

Today I will (gown and glove up) buy some collard greens and red cabbage to make Mark Cooper's quick lunch: steam them, serve over a baked sweet potato and a can (I will try half a can) of seasoned chopped tomatoes.

take care, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 am

Saturday, May 16, 2020 in the year of the virus

I haven't posted for awhile. Things have been just ticking along, day after day in this COVID new world we are in. Some existential dread has plagued me, but hopefully am using exercise and art to remain balanced.

Here in the NW, we are moving toward warmth and sun but it's hit or miss as rain systems move in from the Pacific. I do walk in a rain suit but far prefer the SUN! Yesterday I bought a pint of fresh Oregon strawberries (soooo good!), sliced them up and enjoyed some this morning. Later today I'll make the Egyptian red lentil soup again plus the NYTimes bean burgers. I will make the zucchini corn salad (found under Education).

My weight loss stalled out, to match my COVID mood, but am focused again. Want to lose 3 or 4 more. Loved seeing some loss this morning, and plan to build on that.

Hope you are well, being safe. We do not want to get this virus. It's bad.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Sat May 16, 2020 9:20 am

Hi Marsha,

Your food sounds so good! I've been thinking of making veggie burgers, too.

I know what you mean about the COVID blues. There's so much for us to be thankful for if we are safely living in a secure home with food. It's easy to get focused on the lack of socializing, the dread of the unknown, and our old way of life. I hope you can perk up today. Let those blues release with the wind! :) I imagine getting lost in an art project might bring some peace and satisfaction.
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Fri May 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Good morning, Friday May 22, 2020!

Today I'll make John's beans; it's really easy and tastes great. I do add some things to give them a BBQ flavor. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... hite-Beans

And now I want to try the BBQ lentil loaf; have never made it. Thumbs up on the no-tuna recipe; I make it often, so good. I use a can of chickpeas; chopped celery, carrots, maybe 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, sometimes a few dried cranberries; I add some sweet pickle relish too. I love to eat it in rolled up romaine lettuce leaves. Probably good in pita bread too.

Our weather here in the gray soggy NW is finally warming up! yay!! I am solar powered so it really helps my energy levels. Want to lose 2-3 more pounds but finding it hard right now. Enjoying walks up in the hills.

Oregon is cautiously opening up the counties with small #s of virus cases. I live in the suburb of a city so we hope more things open in June. Other than getting a hair cut (!), it will be quite awhile before I venture into restaurants, movies (horrors). I think most people will be cautious.

I was surprised to realize my walk route up in the hills (few people there) is 2.0 miles. Yay.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri May 29, 2020 5:39 am

Good morning; happy to have sun and warmer weather here in the NW although next week clouds and chilly rainy weather returns. OK I guess because the West is in a drought. Meanwhile, long walks are so good.

I am happy that my weight stays at 178 (recommitted to MWL last July at 204); still aiming for 175. I dropped to 177 this week so I know my body is working on it.

Summer fruits are good; apricots and pricey cherries! I still enjoy the cherries because they aren't around all that long. Funny: could get a pound of cherries ($5) or a fancy coffee. Oh and the Oregon strawberries are delicious.

I made the delicious Mexican corn salad. It's really good as a quesadilla filling (I used corn tortillas). 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed; 4 cups of cooked corn (fresh or frozen); 1 red pepper; 1 cup of salsa; 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped parsley or cilantro; avocado if you like them and can't take the added fat); 1/2 cup green onions. I squeezed a lime over it; added seasonings to taste. I think diced zucchini would be good added to it too. So fresh and tasty!

Stay safe and healthy, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:17 am

Wednesday June 24, 2020

Hello,
haven't logged in awhile. I'm still here! working the program, want to lose 2 or 3 more pounds but happy where I am now. Staying healthy, wearing masks and mostly social distancing. So concerned for parts of the country where the virus is raging.

Oatmeal with ground flax seed and some hemp hearts is cooking now. I'll also have a nice salad with it. Later, will try a red lentil sauce recipe from the McDougall quick & easy cookbook. I also will try the barley pilaf recipe from the same cookbook. I am looking for new recipes to join my food rotation.

Summer has arrived here in the NW, sooooo glad for warmer weather. Makes me feel much better. The summer fruits are so delicious! Cherries now, and sweet nectarines and apricots.

Be safe, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:10 am

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Good morning,
summer has FINALLY arrived here in the NW. Beautiful sunny skies, 80s. Perfect weather, and we deserve it after months of chilly gray rainy skies. Usually (but what is normal about 2020?) this will last until mid-September, followed by a glorious October. So enjoy it now! Summer produce is so good; fresh peaches and raspberries right now. I was reminded how good dark cherries are for joint pain, so eating 5 or 6 a day really has helped my arthritic hips.

I really like the red lentil sauce recipe from the McDougall easy cookbook. It's easy and fast (win win), nutritious, can work as a soup or sauce over potatoes or veggies. I got a sweet, tender and huge batch of collard greens at the farmer's market the other day. I chop it up and saute it to add to the red lentil sauce.

Finally am in the mood to crack down and work on losing a few more pounds. I will do it by also adding some new recipes to my regimen; variety is the spice!

Hope all are doing well in these challenging times.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 am

deweyswakms wrote:I really like the red lentil sauce recipe from the McDougall easy cookbook. It's easy and fast (win win), nutritious, can work as a soup or sauce over potatoes or veggies. I got a sweet, tender and huge batch of collard greens at the farmer's market the other day. I chop it up and saute it to add to the red lentil sauce.

I love recommendations and now have to see if I have this cookbook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just found the book, in my massive pile of cookbooks. I have a habit of buying anything anyone recommends, but then I rarely cook out of them.

So I found the recipe, and looking at it I probably never would have thought to make it. I really need to work my way through some of my cookbooks. Perhaps I'll start with this one.

I will perhaps make it tonight. I think it would go well on top of a cooked potato and steamed veggies.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:58 am

AnnetteW wrote:
deweyswakms wrote:I really like the red lentil sauce recipe from the McDougall easy cookbook. It's easy and fast (win win), nutritious, can work as a soup or sauce over potatoes or veggies. I got a sweet, tender and huge batch of collard greens at the farmer's market the other day. I chop it up and saute it to add to the red lentil sauce.

I love recommendations and now have to see if I have this cookbook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just found the book, in my massive pile of cookbooks. I have a habit of buying anything anyone recommends, but then I rarely cook out of them.

So I found the recipe, and looking at it I probably never would have thought to make it. I really need to work my way through some of my cookbooks. Perhaps I'll start with this one.

Hi, sorry to take so long to reply. I hope you made it; I really like it because (a) it's very easy! and (b) it's tasty and nutritious. But I love easy these days. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:09 am

7/30/20

Hope all of you are healthy and safe in these troubling times. I am still slowly working on getting to 175#; 2 more pounds to go. Our summer fruits are so good! Peaches right now are so juicy and tasty. I also discovered how 4 or 5 dark cherries a day really reduce my arthritic hip pain, so that's a habit I will not drop. And summertime watermelon is so satisfying.

Tired of my usual routine of eating the same things, although my veggie chili is really good, I am trying more recipes from the McDougall fast and easy cookbook. Next up, I will try the hearty white bean soup. I am also enjoying a brussell sprouts & broccoli salad.

I almost always set my intention for my day, what I want to do, how I want to behave. It really helps me, including what foods I want to put into my body.

Take care, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 am

Friday July 31, 2020

Summer here in the NW is such a blessing, even when it hits high 90s as now because we have so many chilly gray rainy weeks. Before I get too busy I try to get outside for a good walk; plus not that many people are out so it's easy to practice social distance!

I found this again, great reminder and pleased to see that I these items to form the basis for my eating. I haven't had dried fruits though, so may add a few dried apricots to the routine. Fresh fruits are bountiful here in Oregon though; peaches now are so wonderful.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/Advance ... t_3-13.pdf

Today I'll make the hearty white bean soup from the quick & easy cookbook. I'll also add some chopped collard greens to it. Tomorrow I'll go to the farmer's market to add some fresh veggies.

Stay safe, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Saturday Aug 1, 2020

Another lovely NW summer day. I enjoyed a nearly 2 mile walk.

I had the most delicious meal. Needed to use up some veggies, so I microwaved some mashed up black beans and salsa; then added chopped lettuce and a small heirloom tomato, plus already cooked rice. I put part of this into a flour tortilla (had some to finish up), rolled it up and was so good! Then I finished the rest in a bowl. I'll do this again; next time will add some corn cut off the cob.

It's a good day.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:53 am

Monday Aug 3, 2020

Well, TODAY I will make the white bean soup from the Easy Fast cookbook. Easy, fast always is best for me because I spend time on art projects, other fun things, then suddenly I am hungry and didn't prepare foods, leads to poor food decisions. So I do that first!

I am enjoying watermelon; such a great summer fruit. I am out of black cherries so will get some today; maybe on way home from my walk; and a couple more heirloom tomatoes. And a friend gave me a 5# bag of red potatoes!

Hope everybody is healthy, safe and being careful in this era of coronavirus.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 am

Friday Aug 7, 2020

Well, I was 2 lbs away from my goal but then I got sloppy with eating; comfort foods! And these times call for comfort, but not that way. I know better. So I will do better, and I started yesterday.

I did make the white bean soup from the Quick and Easy cookbook but I turned it into white bean chili. Really good. I like it over potatoes. I have steamed broccoli which I love, and enjoying a simple salad of butter lettuce and cherry tomatoes. Soon I will make another vegetarian chili because it is so good.

Hope you have a safe and fun weekend, Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals