Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:09 am

Thursday, March 19, 2020
I was amazed to see another pound lost this morning. Somehow I have reduced what I eat without being hungry. Lately I enjoy a pickle as a snack! I know, it sounds silly, but I like the taste and it kills sugar cravings for me. Oatmeal cereal, finishing up the split pea soup with yams or mashed potatoes. I have also added a bit more 'fat' to my morning meal as it keeps me satiated for hours. I am going to make vegetarian enchiladas today but have to venture out to the store for ingredients. I take precautions, going early for one thing, using sanitizer wipes which I keep in the car. Good nutrition is vital right now and eating plants is the best thing we can do to boost our immune system. Hope everybody is doing OK.

A good tip I heard was to use 'smelly' hand lotion (I use a perfumed body lotion) because when you bring your hands to your face, you smell the scent and 'stop'. Hands are the vectors in carrying the germs to your face.

What are you cooking while 'sheltering in place'?

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 am

Monday, March 23, 2020 in the Year of the Virus

Here in Oregon we are in the 2nd week of shelter in place order. People panic bought in the first days but it has evened out now. However, there is no TP within my 10 mile radius. It's weird. The supply chain says they are producing it, but where is it? I was watching the stories from China 4 weeks ago and stocked up then. The dried bulk foods (lentils, beans, peas, pasta, oatmeal etc) are gone. Produce aisles are fine! Nobody is eating potatoes, greens or veggies apparently. I have enough split peas to make more soup. And veggie chili. And lots of potatoes. I made a really good veggie lasagna! I expect lockdown will come soon and last for 3 weeks or so. It's good to be 'bored', means none of us are sick. And I am thankful this didn't happen here in our NW soggy gray dark winter months. At least the weather is sunny which makes for pleasant walks.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 am

Tuesday March 24 2020

Well, up 2#s, quarantine oatmeal raisin cookies, not on the plan of course. I like the lower weight so back on track today. My good veggie lasagna is almost gone; yesterday I made a Jeff N fast food meal which is always fast, nutritious and yummy. Today I will probably start another pot of split pea soup. Now if only I could find more dried lentils or beans at the store. Guess it is heartening that people are buying them and cooking. I got the last package of split peas at the store last week.

Anyway, I am walking, reading, finishing a knitting project, and have more time for painting. These are all good things. Saw an app for the FBI workout program! Will do more yoga stretching for my back.

What are you cooking? wash your hands!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:37 am

Friday March 27, 2020 in the Year of the Virus

What a long and strange month this has been. I am into my 3rd week of mostly stay at home but I do venture out to the stores for cautious shopping; gotta replenish potatoes! And yesterday I finally got a lot of red lentils so I can make Egyptian red lentil soup. I am thankful this happened in Springtime and not the dark rainy cold winter months. At least getting out for walks and sun helps.

I am up about half a pound but that's OK. I seem to be making the same 3 or 4 foods over and over. That's OK too right now. Yesterday I made a large slow cooker batch of veggie chili. It has lots of leftover veggies in it, plus my last cup of French green lentils, couple cans of chili beans and tomatoes. It's good.

Because of the way we eat and cook, I think we are better prepared than many to manage through this problem. I expect it will be late April before we see a chance to reboot some parts of the economy. Tough times for many.

I intend to work in more physical activity; too much sitting has tightened up my back and hips. Not good.

Stay safe and stay home to help our beleaguered medical professionals.
Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:46 am

Saturday March 28, 2020

Morning all. I like reading all the updates from you; is encouraging and motivating.

I have arthritic hips now (they are 73 yrs old now and were worked hard!). I found 2 great hip strengthening exercises I do every few days. Stretching is very key also. I am doing too much sitting through this self-quarantine time, so am focusing on more time walking, standing or lying down to read.

I am in awe of our health professionals who are literally waging war right now on this virus. I read that it took people who survived the Spanish flu pandemic a couple of years before they really felt safe congregating in large groups. I know I for one will be more cautious now.

What are you cooking now? I find myself with an abundance of fruit that has to be consumed. Too many apples which I think I'll bake or make applesauce.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Jaap Amesz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Stay strong!
Jaap Amesz

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:48 am

Monday March 30, hope you all are doing OK as we cope with the virus.

I do believe our way of eating is going to help us stay healthier, stronger immune systems. Eat Plants!

I have a huge pot of veggie chili to consume over the next couple of days. And some veggies to roast before they get too ripe. And some apples also need to use, applesauce.

We have several days of windy rain here in the NW, which means makes walking outside more challenging! I found some youtube videos I can do. Miss the swimming pool, so good for my old body, but it will be there again, someday.

How are you all doing?

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi Marsha ! I live in Michigan and am doing pretty well. Our virus numbers are sounding pretty scary right now. Can't wait to see a downturn in those numbers.

Today I went to the store for a pick-up order . Second time I have done this and it works so well. Only thing is they are still out of toilet paper and a couple of other things. Going to another store tomorrow at 7AM to get some things I am still missing. Hope they have TP otherwise we will have to get creative very soon !

I have been making pea soup as well and never tire of it. Have some black beans soaking right now to make either tonight or tomorrow morning. Eating mostly potatoes and brown rice for my starch, large salad with lots of different veggies at lunch and steamed cauliflower (getting tired of it) at dinner time. My pick-up order had two bunches of kale and it doesn't look that great so I am looking at ways to use it quickly. I guess I can just steam it .

Hope you continue to do well! We are eating that good-for-you food that should make a difference in how we feel . Have a good week !
-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Qwerty988 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:26 am

Hi Marsha :)

I hope you're feeling well! It's been nice to read your updates, especially during this time of social isolation. I'm in Pennsylvania, in quarantine with two omnivores and their stash of comfort foods -- but I must say, it's easier than I thought it would be to resist the junk (so far!) because it's so clear to me how important this way of eating is for our immune systems.

I've had symptoms the past few weeks and have been lucky enough to keep them to a very manageable level, and I think this is only because of all the fruits, veggies and healthy starches. We're so lucky to have found this way of living! I've also got my 81 yr-old mom in NY on the Jeff Novick fast food regimen and she's loving it! She says she wants to keep eating that way even after this crisis is over, so that's a big win :-D

What I've been cooking is pretty basic. A simple tomato-based veggie soup with miso, lots of potato waffles and raw veggie plates. For comfort food, steel cut oats with fruit and spinach.

What's been going on in your kitchen lately?
Qwerty988

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:53 am

Friday April 3, 2020 in the Year of the Virus

Thanks all for your notes. Do you get the McDougall newsletter? It has great recipes in it. I made the pioneer gingerbread cake, had to substitute a few ingredients, and I made my own applesauce to use up 6 apples. It turned out very tasty! Nice to have with coffee.

I am up 1# and not gonna fret about it. Times are tough. Just staying mindful and planning good meals. My yummy veggie chili is gone, so today I'll make a veggie lasagna recipe. Also cued up is split pea soup.

But, this morning I have an emergency root canal. Thankful some DDS still working. Then maybe I can actually chew and bite again. Have had a few of them, the most painful part is paying for them.

I am craving the 'cowboy caviar' salad, so think that will go into the food rotation too.

Stay safe, stay inside as much as possible. I am so worried for the hospitals and medical staff.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:40 am

Welcome April in the year of the virus, what long days these are. Sunday April 5, 2020

This whole virus thing has messed with my MWL flow! Hard to find the focus to get back to what I was doing. And I am up a couple of pounds, but that stops now. In the McDougall newsletter there was a recipe for pioneer gingerbread cake. I made it using homemade applesauce. It's very good. Could be eating too much of it! Today I make veggie lasagna with some aging veggies! And tomorrow will make more split pea soup with celery, carrots and potatoes.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:32 am

Saturday April 11, 2020

The enormity of this pandemic hit me this past week. The jokes and memes aren't funny anymore. I have done a lot of walking, so thankful for good weather during this, and I see almost every store and shop closed. Countless people's lives are affected. Every service or vendor we relied on to maintain our daily lives is impacted; sadly many won't survive. We won't be returning to life as it was in February for a very long time.

So I am adopting a new mindset now. In fact, I am thinking of 'staples' like beans, rice, oatmeal, flour, etc. Those actually are harder to find now. The stores I use have closed many of the bulk bins. So new strategies are needed. I made a yummy split pea soup and wanted cornbread with it, but need to find it which means a trip to the store. I used to just hop in the car and pop into a nearby store. I don't do that anymore; I make a list and hit the best big store on off hours, get in and get out. Home to sterilize everything.

I also am renewed in eating healthy, losing a few more pounds, walking every day. Need to add some live stream yoga for stretching.

Hope everybody is coping with this new world.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:54 am

Monday April 13, 2020

I am thankful for sunny Spring days; had a lovely walk in a forested area yesterday, almost no people there. It was actually a corporate park with many closed and empty buildings.

I wanted cornbread so made some! It's great with the split pea soup. I will make one of the McDougall grain recipes. It was wild rice with cabbage and chick peas. Couldn't find wild rice in the store so got a mixed grain/barley product which will work. I'll use a bag of kale/cabbage salad mix that needs to be used up.

I now wear a mask when out in public. Many neighbors are making them which is a great public service. I think we'll be wearing masks more often now, maybe for years.

A new routine is settling in now as we spend a lot of time indoors. Hope everybody is healthy. Eat plants for better immune system.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm

deweyswakms wrote:Saturday April 11, 2020

The enormity of this pandemic hit me this past week. The jokes and memes aren't funny anymore. I have done a lot of walking, so thankful for good weather during this, and I see almost every store and shop closed. Countless people's lives are affected. Every service or vendor we relied on to maintain our daily lives is impacted; sadly many won't survive. We won't be returning to life as it was in February for a very long time.

So I am adopting a new mindset now. In fact, I am thinking of 'staples' like beans, rice, oatmeal, flour, etc. Those actually are harder to find now. The stores I use have closed many of the bulk bins. So new strategies are needed. I made a yummy split pea soup and wanted cornbread with it, but need to find it which means a trip to the store. I used to just hop in the car and pop into a nearby store. I don't do that anymore; I make a list and hit the best big store on off hours, get in and get out. Home to sterilize everything.

I also am renewed in eating healthy, losing a few more pounds, walking every day. Need to add some live stream yoga for stretching.

Hope everybody is coping with this new world.

For me, watching Andrea Bocelli singing alone in the Duomo of Milan, Italy really wrenched my heart. I went to my PT job yesterday and driving past churches with empty parking lots was sad-making. That made it all come home doubly strong for me.

So glad you've been walking and staying active. That's the best thing you can do. We'll be living in a changed world, once this dwindles away but getting out in the sunshine and fresh air need never change. In fact, driving home from work seeing every tree with new leaves or blossoms was so nice. Humans might be in a forced slow down, but the world keeps turning and the seasons come along while we are stalled.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 am

Good Friday morning,

I am determined to get back to MWL eating and lose a couple more #s. Shopping of course is more challenging now. I still can't find lentils. I miss worry-free trips to the store for things. Now I plan them like a fast strike military operation!

Yesterday I made a tasty veggie chili using several veggies that needed to be eaten. I also added some elbow macaroni to it, so I had a 'chili mac'! It was tasty. I made a good cornbread from a mix, but it's hard for me to 'portion control' cause it's so good with jam! So, will not do that again (for awhile!).

What are you all cooking?

Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals