Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:11 am

Sunday Dec 6, 2020, 5am

Scales show 2.5 lbs gone since Thursday. Good! Interesting about what I ate yesterday: The big morning oatmeal with English muffin and 1 Tbsp of peanut butter kept me full till around 2pm. Then I had some broccoli and probably 1.5 to 2 cups of the split pea soup (which has celery, carrots, a red potato and chopped collard greens in it). Very filling. Not really hungry but around 5pm I had my bowl of 5 or 6 thawed cherries with raspberries. Around 7:30 pm I had about 1/4 cup of fortified bran cereal with some almond milk. I don't like to eat so close to bedtime but I was hungry. Asleep at 9pm, awake at 4am. That's typical; hip wakes me up. Now enjoying the best part of my day, morning coffee.

And I am hungry now. So I will finish off the barley and leftover 'Jeff's fast food' meal. I'll make some veggie chili today I think; and have more split pea soup and a pear.

Hope all are well and staying safe from covid. Horrific # of cases surging now.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Marla » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi Marsha,

2.5 pounds down; you must be doing the right things! Seeing a loss on the scale is very encouraging, isn't it? Chili and split pea soup both sound really good to me today. So filling and comforting. Here's to keeping your healthy momentum going!
Marla

Postby taz432 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Congrats on the 2.5 lb loss! Will have to try the thawed frozen cherries and berries tonight.
taz432

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:44 am

Wednesday Dec 9, 2020
What A Very Weird Year this has been. I'll be so glad to see New Year's Day arrive.

Lack of good sleep for 2 days and achy elderly body sent me out to buy more CBD (legal in my state). And I had a good long sleep last night. Feel great today! Lack of sleep is always demotivating for me; I did walk both days though. I hate to just 'take to my bed' but I probably should just LISTEN and do it. I have always just powered through things but that's not always the right choice.

Yesterday I made veggie chili which is usually delicious. I added pearled barley to it, and won't do that again. It made it 'bland'. I can eat it; just not as good. I also will roast a cauliflower today. This is one of my favorite things to eat. I bought a lot of celery; I like to munch it for the crunch, but also wonder if there is another way to use it up.

I enjoy the apple varieties right now. 'Envy' is very good.

Hope all have a good day. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:48 am

Sunday Dec 13, 2020

I had a dental procedure last Wednesday that left me in pain! injection site by my jaw hinge area wasn't numbed up. The jaw is mostly better but still achey. Annoyed! And Friday is my all day 4th grade Zoom class with the grandson, so Saturday was definitely a rest day for me.

I was pleasantly surprised that the scales showed another pound lost. Yay! Now to focus on losing another one.

Today is a cook day for me. I have more cauliflower to roast; I love it! Hard not to eat the entire head. I really love the Beans and Berries recipe in the quick & easy cookbook; just toss ingredients into the crock pot, turn on high and leave it for hours. I do like spicier foods so I add a can of tomatoes with chilies to it. And I'll do one of Jeff's fast food recipes. I will make the NY Times bean burgers probably tomorrow; I make a big mess when I make them, and not in the mood to clean up today.

take care, be safe, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby taz432 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:26 pm

How do you make the roasted cauliflower? That sounds really good.
taz432

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:08 am

Saturday Dec 19, 2020

I am still here, body still happily settled in to the 179 lb #. I just keep doing my thing, cooking and eating beans, lentils, peas, fruits, oatmeal, etc. Here in the soggy NW, we are waiting on an 'atmospheric river of rain' to arrive. Warm temps though which will melt the snow in the mountains! Anyway, I have gotten out and walked a lot; timed between raindrops.

I am bored with my routine menu; might try the McDougall's enchilada casserole. And today I'll make the beans and (wheat) berries recipe; it is so easy and good.

Hope you all are safe and staying healthy.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:03 am

Wednesday Dec 23, 2020 Santa is almost here! And this awful year is almost over!

Just checking in. Yesterday, despite being really tired with a painful body after last minute errands and a walk, I didn't give in to something fast and not healthy to eat. I just LOVE making this fast and easy meal, and eating the leftovers now for breakfast: I put 1 chopped carrot, 2 or 3 chopped Yukon gold potatoes (any type will work), in boiling salted water; wait 2 minutes, then I add maybe 1/4 cup (doesn't matter how much) shelled edamame, corn and peas to the water. Boil for maybe 2-3 minutes. The potatoes will be done. Drain, rough mash, season with favorite seasonings. Eat. So good! I meant to add spinach to the last 1-2 minutes but forgot.

I have stayed away from all holiday treats; easy for me to do, I know, because I am not at work or around people who have these things. And the junk in the stores is nothing like homemade goodness. Still, I miss decorated sugar cookies because they are a very early Christmas memory. We didn't have many treats growing up, but Mom always made the best Christmas cookies. One year she made Santa cookies.

Happy Holidays everybody; hang in there; things will get better.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Monday December 28, 2020. It's the last Monday of this awful year!!

I only gained half a pound over Christmas. We ate healthy; plant based enchiladas, but I confess that the vanilla bourbon pudding was worth it!! I have lost that half a pound and a bit more. This morning I liked my veggie chili with a lot of chopped kale salad on it. Later I'll cook some potatoes, maybe some rice too, for more chili.

Today is another sunny day so will get in another walk before rains return tomorrow.

And I need to try some new recipes!

Happy New Year and be safe everybody. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:20 pm

Yay! New Year's Eve, this no good awful disease-ridden year is over.

Love the new McDougall recipes I got in my email. Soon I will make the winter soup. Love wheat berries; so chewy.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... rains-Soup

But it's time for a big refrigerator clean-out which means a big Jeff style 'fast food' (beans, spicy tomatoes, then all the veggies I can find); serve with jasmine rice or potatoes.

In fact, I need to wash out the fridge; how does my freezer get so dirty?

Happy New Year to all of us. May next year be kinder.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:19 pm

Thursday, Jan 7, 2021

Well, yesterday's crisis in our Capitol, the seat of our democracy, sent me looking for comfort food, looking to numb out the anxiety. Cherry upside down cake. But, I didn't eat any of it. I decided I wasn't going to give away the gains I have made. I also know the relief would just be temporary, to be followed by bad physical symptoms.

So I had oatmeal with ground flax seed, hemp hearts, and I did enjoy a slide of English muffin bread with peanut butter.

I am an adult; I understand these feelings and can control myself.

I am finishing up the delicious Longevity soup. Very filling! I have been hungry for a sturdy veggie soup. I added barley to it for the starch. And I will steam more broccoli today.

I got back from a nice walk, and will start an art project. I have good books to read too.

Stay safe everybody, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:41 pm

Saturday Jan 16, 2021
Tomorrow is my birthday! 74 years, amazing!

Today I cooked pearled barley and wheat berries, and added some of both to my oatmeal. I love these grains! I like chewy wheat berries so I stop cooking when they are al dente. Today is cooking day for me; I have veggies to steam and roast. And I'll make one of Jeff's fast food meals (skillet+1 can drained black beans+1 can spicy tomatoes+diced kale+a pkg of frozen corn/beans, I simmer with seasonings (I like mexican style, could add some tbsp of enchilada sauce or chipotle peppers etc); serve over whatever (potatoes or rice or my favorite).

Sometimes I get tired of making the same 3-4 recipes over and over, until I taste them! they are so tasty.

It's almost sunny here in the soggy NW so off for a walk in the 'sun'.

Stay safe, be healthy, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby SilverDollar* » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:48 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! LOVE READING YOUR JOURNAL. I'M NOT SHOUTING, MY COMPUTER
IS STUCK ON CAPITAL MODE! LOL RAS
SilverDollar*

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:58 am

SilverDollar* wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY! LOVE READING YOUR JOURNAL. I'M NOT SHOUTING, MY COMPUTER
IS STUCK ON CAPITAL MODE! LOL RAS

Thanks Silver Dollar! funny about your caps lock problem.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:18 am

Sunday, 1/31/21
What a long month this has been; Hello February.

Still maintaining the weight, and that's good. Here in the soggy NW, we have a week of lo 50's but also 40% rain, so I will go out to walk and get some 'light' (not sun, haha). I do now use my light box every day.

Over the last year I have had 3 or 4 episodes of IBS. I gave up eating raw purple cabbage for this reason; careful with popcorn now too. The last one was 2 days ago. Excruciating lower GI tract cramps; I wondered if I was going to have to make a trip to the ER (NOT the place to be these days). Two hours and eventually, it 'passed'. All I can figure out what happened this time was I added some new to me 2 cans of different beans, kale and bok choy plus frozen corn and other veggies to soup. I normally only have black beans which have never bothered me. I had a bowl for dinner, 6pm time. I also had a small bowl, maybe 1/3rd cup, of raisin bran flakes with almond milk. Awake at 10pm in great pain. And, have tossed out all that mysterious soup!

I wonder if my 74 year old GI tract just can't handle so much fiber anymore. I am going to dial back on it. Going to eat bland foods for another day or two. Oatmeal; cooked carrots; potatoes, bananas and rice. Think I'll make my version of marinara sauce with lentils. Will stick to peas, black beans and lentils for protein, and grains like wheat berries and barley. I do need fruit every day though.

I read McDougall's posts on IBS. I am a bit nervous now about what to eat. If it happens again, I'll have to see my GI doctor (I had a colon resection several years ago for embedded precancerous polyps).

Anyhow! on that cheery note, I will enjoy the day (online Mexican Train with friends; try a new painting; finishing a book; oh yes, do some never ending housework).

How is everybody else doing? Stay healthy, Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals