sirdle - 2019

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Clarence Bass

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:08 pm

I have always had an interest in fitness (although it ebbs at times of great stress). But it is very hard to find science-based discussions of what works and what doesn't. Most bodybuilding and weight training web sites are mired in anecdotes, myths, and legends. And those that aren't tend to offer the same, stale, advice that has been repeated for years.

Is cardio better than weights? If cardio, then which is best? Bicycling? Rowing? Running? Aerobics classes? Should you focus on long, slow distance? Or sprints? Or intervals?

If weights, then should you lift slow or fast? Heavy or light? Every other day, or once a week? One set or multiple sets?

Clarence Bass' most recent book (Take Charge: Fitness at the Edge of Science, 2013) cuts through the myths and focuses on published scientific studies. To cut through the dryness, he also includes plenty of examples from his own experience and anecdotes, but that is just for flavor. The essence of his book is the scientific studies.

Clarence Bass is an old-time bodybuilder and weight lifter. He started lifting in 5th grade and never stopped. He was a champion Olympic-style weight lifter and a successful lawyer before his interest changed to bodybuilding, eventually winning the Past-40 Mr America competition. Today he is in his 80s, still works out regularly, and looks great.

What startled me the most was the quality of Bass' writing. I have read several books by Jack LaLanne (whom I greatly admire), but they are full of hype, exaggeration, and inspirational cheer-leading. Entertaining, but not something I'd want to read again. Bass, on the other hand, packs so much information onto each page, that it will take several readings to assimilate it all. (It is a bit like reading Jeff Novick's nutrition threads.)

In Take Charge Bass discusses dozens of scientific studies which focus on three key areas: strength training, aerobic conditioning, and diet. In each case he shows there are multiple paths which lead to increased fitness and health.

from the introduction wrote:Weight training grabbed my attention when I was about 12--and never let go. I started learning then and added to my knowledge with the passing years. I began with strength training basics and later added new dimensions of fitness one by one: nutrition, aerobic exercise, weight control, motivation, exercise physiology, and health.

This book is about new things I've learned in the last several years--and how they can help readers take charge and improve their lives. The wonders of modern science keep uncovering new ways we an help ourselves live longer, stronger, and healthier.

The paths to success in fitness and health have never been more open and diverse. We can take charge in ways that suit us, ways that we enjoy and do best.

The most important message of Take Charge is one that Jeff Novick and Dr McDougall have stated many times: keep moving. Get some aerobic exercise and strength training. Do some balance and flexibility training. Meditate. Enjoy life!

Strength Training

According to Bass, the most important element of a strength training program is to stick with it. Protect yourself from injury... mix things up so you don't get bored... rest enough so you don't get burned out... and keep at it, year after year.

Beyond that, you have many, many choices, most of which are a matter of personal preference. Should you lift slow or fast? Heavy or light? Every other day, or once a week? One set or multiple sets? Answer: whatever you want! Different lifting styles reflect different psychological profiles. Choose a style and try it! If you like it, stay with it. If you don't, try something else. There is no reason to be miserable; this should be fun!

Regardless of which style you choose, however, you should focus on effort! The last rep of each set should be hard. You need to challenge yourself or you will not make progress. This doesn't mean going until failure, but it does mean getting close. This is a mind-body exercise. You must be thinking about your form the entire time and not let your mind wander. Focus on your muscles, pay attention to your form, and if you can't maintain the correct form any longer, stop. To continue is to risk injury and undo a lot of progress. Some people call this "volitional failure".

Also, keep in mind that you can train only as hard as you can rest. Progress is made when the body recovers (and rebuilds) after a strength training workout. You must give your body a chance to recover. How much is that? It depends on the number of sets, reps, and sessions per week... in short, how hard you have exercised. This is a mind-body exercise. Pay attention to your body and learn from it.

Bass' personal lifting style reflects his personality: high-intensity training (HIT)... with a lot of rest in between sessions. He has made progress with one session per week, but at the time the book was written he was experimenting with (2) weight sessions and (1) aerobic session per week.

Aerobic Conditioning

Here again, there are many choices open to you. Bass' personal psychology favors supports high-intensity interval training (HIIT). He likes it because his workouts are very short and very intense. And then he can get on with living!

He favors the Tabata protocol: 20 seconds of hard work, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times. (I've spoken with people who have tried this: it is brutal. And if you are not in good shape to begin with, the risk of injury is high.) But he also discusses other sub-maximal protocols that are almost as beneficial and don't require the same degree of pain. ;-)

But, of course, he also points out that any type of aerobic exercise is beneficial: bicycling, rowing, running, even walking. In fact, on the days when he is not training, he does plenty of walking. The important thing is to keep moving!

Diet

As with strength training and aerobic conditioning, Bass discusses several dietary options for taking charge and improving your life. These include the DASH Diet, the Therapeutic Lifestyle Change Diet (a low-fat version of the DASH Diet), the Mayo Clinic Diet, and the Mediterranean Diet. He also discusses dieting dynamics.

Conclusion

Bass is knowledgeable and perceptive and draws heavily on cutting-edge science. His writing style is engaging; his anecdotes: entertaining. If the subject matter interests you, I recommend reading this book.

My personal opinion is that while you can't go far wrong by following his exercise advice, you should stick with the advice of Jeff Novick and Dr McDougall when it comes to diet and nutrition.

I was going to discuss some of the scientific findings that I found interesting... but it's Time for a Little Something (as Pooh would say ;-) ). So, maybe later in the week. We'll see.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Re: sirdle - 2019

Postby sirdle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Day 42, Tue

Food
==============================
B: oatmeal, blueberries, flaxseed
L: white rice + steamed veggies
S: blueberries
D: lentil stew + salad
S: apple

fruit: 7 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 6,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none
Flexibility - static stretching (40 min)

Rest
Sleep - 10 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low
Reading - "The New Rules of Posture", Mary Bond

Notes
Sleep - guess I was more tired than I thought. Asleep by 8:00 PM, woke up at 6:00. Woke up a few times during the night but rolled over and went back to sleep.

Ultrasound - had a follow-up appointment with my cardiologist this afternoon for another ultrasound... except I didn't actually meet with the cardiologist and I don't know what the results were or what my instructions are. Very frustrating. They said they would send the results to my primary care physician... except that physician is more than 200 miles away and is nearly impossible to get an appointment with. Not really sure what I'm going to do about that. Guess I'm back to doing what I've always done: doctoring myself. What a waste of money. :(

Crock Pot - made another batch of lentil stew, this time in the slow cooker. The cooker is deceptively enormous, but inside it is quite tiny. Didn't work out so well. Took about 7 hours and ended up tasting bland. And the onions still weren't done. Not sure whether to try to modify the recipe or look for a different recipe for next month's potluck. Hmmm.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks for the book review. Perhaps it's time for me to start reading more fitness books, and start moving away from the diet related books (I don't mean diet as in weight loss).

I've always been fascinated by muscles. In middle school I checked out Arnold Schwarneggar's first book from the library, and actually read it. Obviously I don't remember it today, but I traced off all his photos and drew them in pencil, black and white, shading in all his muscles.

I was slim throughout highschool (most girls were back then) and played soccer, I never could run well, but I did exercises on my own at home. I worked up to where I could do an endless about of situps, and even pushups. I could do proper pull-ups (I was training for an ROTC scholarship, Army, but I ended up accepting the AF scholarship).

In college, my first "love" was a bodybuilder. Oh, I have another memory, my mom had a photo of a cousin of hers that did bodybuilding and in HighSchool I hung it up in my locker along with all the soccer player photos.

Also in college the very first semester I signed up for a weight lifting class.

When I was married a couple years later, I dropped my ROTC scholarship but married a AF pilot, another gal and I at the base went to the "women's gym" on the base. The equipment was old and broken. The next day we ventured into the "real gym" and were scared and frightened, but we did it. That day, on the way home, we stopped at the grocery store and each bought a Muscle and Fitness magazine.

My love for weights was there. Later when I lived in Florida with no car I rode my bike daily 7 miles in and 7 out to the base gym and lifted, did more biking. Then we moved to Germany, and found a friend to train with. One of the female bodybuilders at the gym actually commented on my muscles once and mentioned competing. I was flattered. I was also still skinny at 120 lbs and 5'5", but I had ripples on my chest.

Then I got pregnant and life changes, and though I've always gone back to the gym, always always always throughout my life, I was never consistent anymore, and like you said Clarence Bass mentioned, it's being consistent.

If I had continued, I always wonder what I could be today. If I had never gained weight, and just stayed fit and strong. Today at my age the flabby skin freaks me out. I know there are muscles underneath, and they will show as I get more lean, and I have to focus on that, and not my aging body.

But I'm starting to hit the weights a bit harder, I have to be quite careful due to a neck injury that easily flares, and right now my knees hurt all the time, so I'll avoid that (plus I don't want big thighs...just shoulders, lol).

Sorry for telling my life story in your journal, but it just sort of came out. Perhaps I'll buy the book.

I'm looking forward to my "old school female bodybuilding" books arriving. It's very difficult to just google "female bodybuilding" as I don't even want to see those photos, they don't look pretty anymore, it's too extreme. It's either extreme muscles or overly sexualized.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 am

"The most important message of Take Charge is one that Jeff Novick and Dr McDougall have stated many times: keep moving. Get some aerobic exercise and strength training. Do some balance and flexibility training. Meditate. Enjoy life!"

Basic and simple messaging is the best I think. At my age, now 72, my body can't take HIT or too much pounding it out in the gym. Moderation works for me. I LOVE walkiing outside, to get natural light (I live in the NW where we don't have enough of it). Now that we have turned the corner to rain season, I will have to move back to the gym.

Yes, weight training is very important, especially for seniors. Thanks for the discussion and reminder. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:10 pm

deweyswakms wrote:At my age, now 72, my body can't take HIT or too much pounding it out in the gym... Moderation works for me. I LOVE walking outside...

Hi Marsha,

Keep in mind that "high intensity" is relative. For some people doing a few push-ups is high intensity... or getting up from a chair... or even walking around the block.

In order to improve, you need to challenge yourself, but it does not need to be fast and it does not need to be long. I am not weight training at the moment -- because I am waiting for my heart to heal -- but when I was I did 1 set each of 7 different exercises once a week. It took about 30-40 minutes.

With that said, the best thing that most people can do for their health is to exercise regularly and consistently, year after year, and not get injured. There is a lot to be said for simple walking. ;-)
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:26 pm

AnnetteW wrote:Thanks for the book review. Perhaps it's time for me to start reading more fitness books, and start moving away from the diet related books (I don't mean diet as in weight loss).

...Today at my age the flabby skin freaks me out. I know there are muscles underneath, and they will show as I get more lean, and I have to focus on that, and not my aging body.

But I'm starting to hit the weights a bit harder, I have to be quite careful due to a neck injury that easily flares, and right now my knees hurt all the time, so I'll avoid that (plus I don't want big thighs...just shoulders, lol).

Sorry for telling my life story in your journal, but it just sort of came out. Perhaps I'll buy the book.

I'm looking forward to my "old school female bodybuilding" books arriving. It's very difficult to just google "female bodybuilding" as I don't even want to see those photos, they don't look pretty anymore, it's too extreme. It's either extreme muscles or overly sexualized.

Thanks Annette!

I'm glad you did tell your life story! It is very interesting. :mrgreen:

If you need something to read to help motivate you, then Bass' book might be a good choice. Although the science is interesting, you don't really need it; you already know what you need to know: get to the gym... do your workouts... be sensible... With time, you will see positive changes. How much will you be able to change? I don't know. I'm experimenting, too. I'd love to hear more from Geo. Maybe I'll ask him.

The flabby skin freaks me out, too. Yesterday, I was doing a cat stretch in the morning and happened to look down toward my hips, and where my stomach should have been there were two udders hanging down. Grossed me out. I'm hoping that consistency will help tighten up my muscles and skin. But who knows?

I'm with you on modern bodybuilding photos, too. They are just plain gross. You know whose photos I like to dream about? Rowers and swimmers. Strong, lean, and healthy. Very nice. ;-)
sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:21 pm

I already ordered the book this morning after posting...will have it Friday, and another Vegan book tomorrow. Maybe I'll write a few reviews myself. Thanks for the encouragement.
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 pm

AnnetteW wrote:I already ordered the book this morning after posting...will have it Friday, and another Vegan book tomorrow. Maybe I'll write a few reviews myself. Thanks for the encouragement.

I'd love to read some reviews! :mrgreen:
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Day 43, Wed

Food
L: lentil stew + salad
S: pineapple
D: potatoes w/ ketchup, salsa
S: cherries

fruit: 7 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 9,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 7 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low
Reading - none

Notes
Walking - back to intermittent walking. My goal is to exceed 6,500 steps per day the rest of this week, and 8,500 steps all next week.
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Day 44, Thu

Food
L: potatoes w/ salsa and croutons + salad
S: none

fruit: 4 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 6,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 7 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low
Reading - none

Notes
Travelling - had to drive to our remote office today. Thought I was only going to be there a couple of hours so I didn't take any food with me. What was I thinking? Around lunchtime I texted my wife that I was about to fall down the rabbit hole, and she suggested an Irish pub where I could get a plain baked potato with salsa and a yummy salad with plenty of veggies and no oil/meat/dairy. Is my wife the greatest, or what? Successfully made it through the day!
sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:13 pm

I started reading the Clarence Bass book and liked it from the start. I like reading about studies, where someone else breaks down the information and gives it to me in easier terms. I love knowing I can do my weights the way I like as long as I get to failure (or close to it) and I don't have to lift too heavy. Heavy is always bad for me, I've always rather gone a bit lighter and longer. And I also hate more than 2 sets of the same, but I change things up a lot. Nice to know I was already going in the right direction.

And after reading the first chapter, I got off my butt and did some weights.

Thanks for the recommendation!
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:40 pm

AnnetteW wrote:And after reading the first chapter, I got off my butt and did some weights.

Woot! That's great Annette! I'm glad it worked as a source of inspiration! :ninja:

AnnetteW wrote:I love knowing I can do my weights the way I like as long as I get to failure (or close to it) and I don't have to lift too heavy. Heavy is always bad for me, I've always rather gone a bit lighter and longer. And I also hate more than 2 sets of the same, but I change things up a lot. Nice to know I was already going in the right direction.

Me too. If I go too fast or too heavy I end up hurting myself. I like slow and steady... always being in absolute control. It's good to know that doing what I like will get me where I want to go. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Day 45, Fri

Food
L: bean burrito + chips, salsa
D: potatoes w/ ketchup

fruit: 13 servings :o

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 3,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 8 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low
Reading - none

Notes
Travelling - had to drive to a remote field location today with a client. I expected that we would eat lunch at an unknown restaurant that had few healthy options. Found a Mexican restaurant where I got a bean burrito. And some chips and salsa. A lot of salt. Probably a lot of fat. Tasted very good. But when I got home I went crazy and ended up eating 20 oz of potatoes and 4 bags of blueberries (at 3 servings per bag). Not sure if it was the salt or what, but it was weird. Tomorrow will be a new day!
sirdle

Postby sirdle » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Day 46, Sat

Food
L: potatoes w/ salsa, mustard, ketchup
S: cherries
S: peaches

fruit: 5 servings

Exercise
Activity - walking (intermittent) 3,500 steps
Cardio - none
Strength - none
Balance - none

Rest
Sleep - 8+2 hr, restful
Meditation - none
Stress - low
Reading - none

Notes
Shopping - I hate shopping, but I've lost so much weight, I need new shirts and pants. Problem is: I am in uncharted territory, so I don't know what my sizes are. I'll wear anything... if it's free, but it annoys me to pay good money to wear a corporate brand. I don't mind so much a small inconspicuous label, but a huge Wrangler or Levis or Nike trademark makes me grumpy.

Some time ago, I found a t-shirt for work that I like: no-label, 6.1 oz. 100% Cotton t-shirt with left chest pocket, crew neck, tapered shoulder-to-shoulder, double needle bottom hem and sleeves. Well made... in America. I've been buying them online for years. I always buy x-large, but I wash them in hot water and they shrink. And their sizes run small. So I'm sticking with them.

The jeans I like are a newish brand with a discrete label on the coin pocket. (Does anyone use coin pockets anymore?) I had to track down a local store that carries them. Turns out the Farm Supply store carries them (right down the street from the Tractor Supply store ;-) ). But they only stock down to size 32" and I think I'll end up as a size 31"... so I guess I'll wait a while longer and maybe special order. Or keep looking. I don't know.

The Farm Supply store, incidentally, carries both kinds of shirts: Country AND Western. I'm not that much into plaid. But I did discover I'm somewhere between a medium and a large... down from an extra-large a few years ago. :shock:

For button-down shirts I ended up at a mountaineering store (which is more my style). I found some nice shirts, but this late in the season they had only medium and extra large in stock.

Guess I'll keep looking...
sirdle

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:32 pm

My husband wears Levi 501’s and has me cut the label off the back. They are widely available and have a very timeless look. Maybe they would work for you, too? Good luck with all the shopping. Half of my motivation to eat right is so I don’t have to buy new clothing, I just have to stay in what I’ve got.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals