Marsha's Sept 2019 journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Marsha's Sept 2019 journal

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:49 am

Sunday, September 1, 2019

August showed me that MWL guidelines and way of eating does work. I started in July and am now closing in on 5# lost Journaling helps my accountability as I set my intentions for the day. I find myself not very hungry, thanks fiber!! And I now want to eat plants.

Today, tree pollen allergies are high here in the NW. I am very congested and occasionally dizzy, just from the congestion. It will be a rest day for me.

I made some delicious nutty brown rice, and it was so good with peas, corn and carrots for breakfast. I have a lot of veggie chili and steamed broccoli for later. Plus I find myself enjoyed steamed carrots. And a ripe cantaloupe to cut up!

Let's go.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Re: Marsha's Sept 2019 journal

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 am

Monday, September 2, 2019

Happy Labor Day! I labored for 42 years, it wasn't easy! I always enjoyed this 3-day weekend, even stretching it to 4 days off work.

192 on the scales this morning, hang on till Thursday weigh-in! Actually, I have faith and trust now in the MWL guidelines so I don't have to 'hang on' or 'tough it out'. I know this is working.

My allergy congestion and slight dizziness continues today, which is annoying. I will walk later today to get outside in our beautiful NW. In a few short weeks, rain will start to enter the weather pattern here. And today I'll make the zucchini, corn and black bean soup. I already had lettuce, rice, a potato and veggie chili for breakfast. Still hungry, so had a whole wheat English muffin with a tbsp of peanut butter. I am always the most hungry in the mornings, probably because I don't eat much dinner before hours of sleep. Later will finish up the steamed spinach, broccoli, wonderful cantaloupe, and roast a couple of sweet potatoes.

Today I will start another painting, finish a book - I have probably 5 or 6 in various stages of reading, check out a farmer's market to buy more produce.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:47 am

September 3, 2019

Good morning,

I am a little bored with what I eat in the morning, so trying potatoes with my oatmeal. Oatmeal alone seems to jack with my blood sugar. So, an experiment today! Otherwise, the cantaloupe is delicious plus an apple that needs to be eaten, as is that corn/bean/zucchini soup I made yesterday. And I have rice and veggie chili for a big burrito bowl later in the day. Plus the rest of the steamed spinach and broccoli.

I tend to eat the same few things over and over, because they taste so good. I want to try a couple of new recipes, to see if they fit into the rotation someplace! I make a really good lentil spaghetti sauce which I serve over whole wheat pasta.

I am thinking of all the people affected by hurricane Dorian. So much hardship for so many people.
deweyswakms

Postby Caroveggie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi Marsha,

I tend to eat the same things over and over too. I'm too trying to expand my repertoire of MWL recipes I like, although at the moment, you are making want to get some cantaloupe!
Caroveggie

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:00 am

I'm kind of interested in how you did the potatoes together with the oatmeal. What were your quantities and how did you cook it? Did it taste more like oats or potatoes? I love the idea, and can see doing it with sweet potatoes too. I've cooked barley for breakfast a few times and really like it, but oats are so simple.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 am

AnnetteW wrote:I'm kind of interested in how you did the potatoes together with the oatmeal. What were your quantities and how did you cook it? Did it taste more like oats or potatoes? I love the idea, and can see doing it with sweet potatoes too. I've cooked barley for breakfast a few times and really like it, but oats are so simple.

Hi Annette. My experiment yesterday with oatmeal and potatoes for breakfast was tasty, but didn't work for my blood sugar. Oats do that and I know better, usually have them for dinner. All I did was add a pre-cooked Yukon gold potato to the cooked oatmeal. I do add blueberries and flax seed and hemp hearts to my oatmeal. It wasn't bad. Just that I was hungry all morning long. I had to finally eat some burrito bowl to feel better.
Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 am

wednesday, Sept 4, 2019

My experiment yesterday to try to eat oatmeal for breakfast with a potato didn't work. I was hungry all morning. Oats seem to mess with my blood sugar, I know this, but love them. They will have to be my evening meal. Yesterday I had 1 yukon gold (medium sized) potato with my oatmeal/flax seeds/hemp hearts/blueberries/soy milk. It was tasty, but I was hungry almost immediately. Couldn't seem to eat enough to feel full, even with a cup of the corn/zucchini/potato/bean soup. Finally I had some veggie chili and rice.

OK! this morning I am eating a cup of the corn/zucchini/potato/bean soup with steamed spinach. I have cooked brown rice for another simple rice/bean/burrito bowl type meal later. Let's see if this keeps me full. Today I will eat more steamed broccoli too. Veggie chili over a sweet potato. Probably oatmeal for dinner.

Getting bored with my few simple meals, and need something that keeps me feeling full (yes, more veggies). Want to add more dark greens to what I am eating.

Summer is slipping away. Have a great day.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:11 am

Thursday, 9/5/19 and weighed in at 192.8, so lost .6# in a week. VERY pleased to see this number which I haven't seen in years! yay.

Since I stopped eating whole wheat bread, my chronic low grade sinus congestion didn't change BUT my arthritic hip pain is 90% gone! sooooo happy about that.

Today I will continue to eat the potato/corn/black bean soup, and veggie chili over sweet potato, so yummy. Steamed spinach and finish the broccoli today. Not sure what else right now but finish the cantaloupe and a peach that must be eaten today! My body seems to like rice and potatoes the best in that I feel full when I eat them, so I will cook more of them to have on hand. I do like throwing fast and simple meals together. Rice with corn, peas, beans, a diced tomato and/or pepper, is very satisfying.

Onward!
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 am

Friday Sept 6, 2019
still at 192.8. I know my body will drop a little more soon.

Today I am out of prepared foods, do have some frozen portions. And I'm hungry! I won't panic though. I will throw together a simple meal of quinoa/rice and beans and some veggies for breakfast. Then today I know what I will be cooking. I am lucky to only have to prepare food for myself! it is work, daily. We have gotten too complacent with buying prepared foods and that has gotten us into health and weight problems. For me, keeping to simple meals works best because I have lots of other projects I want to do.

Happy Friday and weekend.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 am

saturday, Sept 7, 2019
Ohh boy, I don't feel so good today. Because I had 2 glasses of wine yesterday, and I rarely do that anymore. At my age, my body doesn't metabolize alcohol. No hangover per se, but I feel like I have the flu. It always makes me sick. So, it's going to be a soup day for me.
And I'm off to our rose garden for some cloudy sunshine, guaranteed to make me feel better. Yesterday I did batch prep several foods, so breakfast will be half a sweet potato with some veggie chili. Looking forward to tomorrow!
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 am

Sunday, cloudy and overcast, chilly. This is our 'fake fall' here in the NW. We will have some lovely days soon. Meanwhile, I am congested. Allergies, environmental probably, my constant problem. Maybe I should redo the allergy testing last done some 8 years ago.

Had berries for breakfast, then veggie chili over a sweet potato. Yes, I often eat the same thing for a few days. I like leftovers and easy, fast meals. Later today I will make JeffN's latest burger recipe, soon as I find the recipe again! And I want pineapple.

But first, a walk to get some daylight and oxygen flowing!

Enjoy the day.

found the recipe: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... rry-Burger
deweyswakms

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:05 am

Curious as to how the burgers came out. I have some veggies burgers I made in the freezer, and probably should pull one out and do burgers for dinner. It's the bun that gets me though.

I'm with you on the wine. Though 2 glasses still doesn't make me feel physically bad, I kind of wish it would. I'm good at limiting to one at this point, and only out of the house.

Have a good strong week.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:55 am

[quote="AnnetteW"]Curious as to how the burgers came out. I have some veggies burgers I made in the freezer, and probably should pull one out and do burgers for dinner. It's the bun that gets me though.

I'm with you on the wine. Though 2 glasses still doesn't make me feel physically bad, I kind of wish it would. I'm good at limiting to one at this point, and only out of the house.

Good morning Annette,
I have to buy oatmeal before mixing up the burgers, and hope to do that today! I usually make the NY Time veggie burger recipe and always enjoy it. I don't eat bread now, unless I know it is homemade from good organic ingredients. Since I started the MWL challenge and got rid of the 'whole wheat' bread, my arthritic hip pain is 90% gone! very pleased about this. Clearly I am allergic to the wheat or something in the ingredients. I don't miss it either. So I just eat the burgers with romaine lettuce as a wrap or without anything! And the burger recipe makes great meatballs for spaghetti sauce.

I can no longer drink alcohol, darn! I love a good gin & tonic. I do try once in awhile and am always sorry. Aging body presents new challenges!

Have a good day.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 am

Monday, September 9th, a rainy and chilly day here in the NW, harbinger of things to come. We will have a few weeks of glorious fall soon.

I have errands in the city today, ugh, but I have my food plan in place. More importantly, I am out of cat food! So that's one of the errands, to stock up.

Yesterday I made the easy "John's favorite beans" in the crockpot. They are so filling and tasty. Easy is my key to success.

Breakfast will be another sweet potato topped with veggie chili, and steamed broccoli.

Have a great day.
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:08 am

Tuesday Sept 10, 2019 Hello fall,

STILL at 192.8, for several days now. Hmmm, thought I'd have dropped a few ounces at least by now. Okay, patience and persistence.

Lots to do today which means I have to get the food plan figured out 1st. Oatmeal for dinner. The above-mentioned burgers plus other veggies. I am loving cooked carrots, surprisingly filling. I will use some of the burger recipe to make meatballs for marinara sauce with lentils over whole wheat pasta. Berries and a plum for fruit.

Off for a walk, this season means get in the walks whenever there are shower breaks.
deweyswakms

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals