Ruff’s coeliac and Hashimotos log

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ruff’s coeliac and Hashimotos log

Postby Ruff » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:15 am

Hello, I’m back, needing to learn to eat again. Short story, my adult son was diagnosed coeliac (gene, antibodies, biopsy) and the rest of the family was tested too. I had the gene and the antibodies, but declined the biopsy...what would be the point, with those results I was hardly going to be eating gluten anyway. Also the tests showed a high TSH and Hashimotos antibodies. This was not a surprise, I had been suspecting Hashimotos for a while....usual symptoms.

So I am now effectively coeliac and diagnosed Hashimotos. I am on a 3 month trial to see if going gluten free controls the TSH, and if it doesn’t improve then I will take the drugs.

In New Zealand coeliac people don’t eat oats as well as no wheat, barley or rye. This is going to be a huge challenge for me as I eat porridge every morning and have been baking my own whole grain sourdough bread daily for the last 10 years or so.

Also, after not doing much with my running for the last year or so, I have entered a hard 30km trail race on my 57th birthday....October 13th....so I have to get out training as well.

Gluten free breakfast ideas gratefully received..... :D
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Re: Ruff’s coeliac and Hashimotos log

Postby Ejeff » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:27 am

You could substitute brown rice porridge in place of the oats. I also thought you could buy gluten free oats, but perhaps not.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi Ejeff, oats are a tricky one. In America and the UK coeliacs eat gluten free oats, and in Australia and New Zealand they don’t. What that means in practical terms is that here there are no gluten free oats, that is to say oats that have been kept seperate from gluten containing grains. Basically 1 in 5 coeliacs can also not eat oats. In Australia and NZ we just say no coeliacs eat oats, and in the US and UK they say eat oats unless they affect you.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Morning run, 7km estuary and beach.

I am going to have to put in some work this month if I am going to do this 30km in October. I should have done hills today really, but I got up late :oops: I’m going to have fruit for breakfast.

I am also thinking of posting my training log in the sports part of this forum to help keep me focused. I have been a bit slack with the running recently.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:58 pm

It’s early and still dark (and cold) so I have not gone out yet. I’m planning on running again today, but not sure how far yet. Probably 7km.

All good re food yesterday. No fats. I had chips and beans for supper, did husbands in coconut oil, but mine dry roasted.

Today I need to make a running plan for the race, and I am also going to work on gf bread recipes.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:17 pm

I finally got my weekly running rhythm planned

Monday Aikido
Tuesday. Hills
Wednesday. Fartlek or speed or strides or fast final km.
Thursday. Aikido and Food bank (I consider food bank as ‘weight training’ :lol: )
Friday. Easy
Weekend, one day long run the other easy or walk depending on weather and commitments.

Food is going fine. I went to a morning tea for a friends birthday and made chocolate truffles from Joel Fuhmans book. I avoided most of the rest of the stuff except some vege sticks and hummus. The hummus was commercial but I had very little, mostly just waved my carrot stick in the general direction!

I’m not particularly trying to lose weight at the moment, although I suppose most of us would like to lose just a few more pounds, but I am trying to maximise my health. And for me that means dumping the plant based oils. Coconut products had sort of crept into my life!
Katie

Ruff

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks for stopping by my journal and leaving a message!

Latin seems to be tough stuff! Keep going with it!
I don't ever want to stop learning and growing and encouraging others to learn and grow!
Have a great day!
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals