Annette's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Annette's Journal

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:48 am

I beat the mind game yesterday. I filled up my one dinner plate, ate it relatively slowly, and so wanted more...the taste was divine, but I resisted...and I won. Within a short time the flavors were out of my mouth.

So three meals yesterday, no snacks, no overeating and I was down 2.6 lbs, and I saw my lowest weight of 149 even.

Gotta stick to this plan.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:14 am

AnnetteW wrote: I was down 2.6 lbs, and I saw my lowest weight of 149 even.

Yay! me too. I went back to JeffN's SNAP meals and it works for me: quick, easy, nutritious. I get tired of trying to figure out what to cook and eat. Less thinking works!

Happy Friday.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 am

AnnetteW wrote:I beat the mind game yesterday. I filled up my one dinner plate, ate it relatively slowly, and so wanted more...the taste was divine, but I resisted...and I won. Within a short time the flavors were out of my mouth.

So three meals yesterday, no snacks, no overeating and I was down 2.6 lbs, and I saw my lowest weight of 149 even.

Woot! Woot! Congratulations!
moonlight

Postby MickeysBackyard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi Annette,

I just stopped over to read your journal- you've made great progress, thanks for sharing your journey with us! I saw the entry about a hula hoop exercise class a while back and chuckled. We just adopted a miniature poodle from a professional hula hoop artist. She performs routinely in NYC, but also has a trained poodle act in a circus dinner show here in Orlando. Our mini poodle Jessie is a circus flunkie- she was great doing the tricks but kept getting distracted by the audience, so she was "retired" to become a family pet. We were the lucky ones who got to adopt her.

A bit off topic I know, but it's funny how you can go decades without thinking about something like hula hooping, and then it just pops up several times in rapid succession :)
MickeysBackyard

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:18 am

I've had a stomach ache all weekend. Not sure what's up.
Last edited by AnnetteW on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 am

Oh, bother.

I hope it is nothing more serious than some short-term distress. Take it easy, get some rest, and pay attention to the symptoms.

Best of luck! :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Hope you feel better!
Caroveggie

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:19 am

Thanks for the positive posts and support.

I definitely just feel off. My stomach doesn't hurt anymore, but it's not 100%. I'm hungry but don't want to eat. I know something is flaring up in my body, my scalp psoriasis is flaring and my left knee is hurting.

Maybe it's a bit of a seasonal change...too much home baked bread.

Yesterday I ate the following (not MWL)-
Breakfast- oats, peach, soymilk
Lunch - salad, potatoes, 1 T hemp seed
Snack - plumcots
Dinner - beans in tomato sauce (kind of a chili), potato salad (with a little homemade tofu mayo)

I was reading up on pancreatitis, and definitely had lots of the symptoms, but everything I read said it would land you in the hospital from pain. Well, I always question things like that, because someone has to feel problems on a lower level. This all started last week on Friday when I ate out lunch with friends at a Mexican restaurant. I had a plain salad with black beans, and I don't think the beans had fat in then (or meat). I did have 2 large glasses of cheap wine, and I started to feel bad/nauseaus that afternoon. The next day my husband and I ate out at a sushi restaurant, and I allowed myself to enjoy the sushi, a few of which were tempura fried, also the spicy tuna (which is fatty) and some just have mayo sauces in them. That night I was in rolling stomach pain, which came in waves, and feverish. On Sunday I just had stomach pains come and go. Yesterday I still felt a bit odd in the tummy, and still today I'm "aware" of my tummy.

I'm not looking for an illness, but that was odd (oh, and lots of burping too, and my belly felt bloated). Obviously I'll pay attention, and now I least know what pancreas issues are (I never knew much about it before, unaware.)

There's always been a small worry about diabetes for me, as there is type 1 diabetes in my family, and my gene testing shows much increased chances of t1. I know better than to worry about things like that, but I definitely got to get my health in order.

I just wish it was easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geez almighty, I sure can rant. Today I plan to get off my butt and get to the gym for a class and a bit of a whirl on the exercise bike (that knee, remember?) Other than that, who knows....I'm in a bit of a lazy mode right now, not feeling up to par. I will work on my quilt.

No food plan as of yet. I need to go buy potatoes. I can tell I have no appetite because I can't think of what I might like to eat today.

Breakfast - oats, peach, soymilk (I've decided I prefer to have some in my oatmeal)
Lunch - beans, potato salad
Snack - more of those yummy plumcots
Dinner - Salad with something else added
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:46 am

AnnetteW wrote:I did have 2 large glasses of cheap wine, and I started to feel bad/nauseous that afternoon.

There ya go. Gotta stay away from the cheap stuff! LOL.

Stomach issues are so hard to figure out. On the one hand, it's easy to think, "Hey, we're all humans, we should be able to eat the same things." On the other hand, we're all unique and it's amazing that we can share any of the same food. The truth is somewhere in between. :ninja:

Anyway, I'm glad you seem to be on the mend.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks @sirdle. The tummy problems seem to be now totally gone. Yesterday morning I still felt "off" but by the time I made lunch I couldn't stop eating. I had made a bowl of veggies and soba noodles (in miso) and was definitely concerned by the sodium, then shortly later I ate 3 buns I had made a few days before (hamburger buns basically) toasted with almond butter and jam....and I splurged on that almond butter. I also had some of the yummy plumcots. I would think with all that food my stomach would have felt horrible, but it felt wonderful, but I didn't eat anything else that day. And my weight was down 1/2 a lb this morning.

I'm definitely hanging out in the 149's, but have yet to see a 148. My trending weight program says I'm losing 1.7 lbs a month, which is less than 1/2 a lb a week, but that is why weight loss is so difficult to see at times, yet it is still going down. Each day I think I need to work harder, but I just don't want to.

I have gotten a little tired reading/watching about the whole diet, I'm comfortable with the plan, though I'm not following it exactly. That's my choice though. I'm also working on being more consistent with exercise, and get my butt to the gym regularly, though I enjoy lighter workouts. When I push, I hurt (or I inflame my neck problem). Working with the physical therapist has been good for my shoulders/hips. My neck will always be a chronic issue.

Plan for today:

Breakfast - oats, banana, soymilk

Lunch - salad, potatoes (just put some in the oven to bake)

Snack - fruit

Dinner - butternut squash/ lentil/millet crockpot dish from a magazine, extra veggies on the side, perhaps Indian spiced cabbage, rice?

Gym - physical therapy, exercise class, bike for knee, stretching in the evening
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:49 am

AnnetteW wrote:I'm definitely hanging out in the 149's, but have yet to see a 148. My trending weight program says I'm losing 1.7 lbs a month, which is less than 1/2 a lb a week, but that is why weight loss is so difficult to see at times, yet it is still going down. Each day I think I need to work harder, but I just don't want to.

Hi Annette, Congratulations for being in the 140"s range. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yay! You are doing what it takes. Slow weight loss is the best way. You are less likely to regain. It's a lifestyle, so even though it may seem slow, 1/2 pound a week, you are losing and you are learning to find the best groove for you.
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:31 am

moonlight wrote:Hi Annette, Congratulations for being in the 140"s range. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yay! You are doing what it takes. Slow weight loss is the best way. You are less likely to regain. It's a lifestyle, so even though it may seem slow, 1/2 pound a week, you are losing and you are learning to find the best groove for you.

Thank you very much. All the time I feel like I'm not working hard enough, that I should be losing weight faster, but then I reassure myself that I'm just fine. I struggle too much when I try too hard. Just staying close to on plan is fine for now. I don't feel like I have more in me to cut more.

I want to share my TrendWeight chart for the past 5 years. I'm at my lowest in 5 years, and that's a good feeling. About 8-9 years ago I was down in the 130's, which is my goal now, and the lowest weight at that time was 126.

I did really well yesterday, starting hunt down something to snack on after lunch and luckily my fridge was fairly empty, I had 4 plumcots, and then just hung on till dinner.

My plan for today is as follows:

Breakfast - oats, peach, flax, soymilk, honey (I woke up starving and decided to eat)
Lunch - salad, potatoes
Snack - still have a few plumcots, so fruit
Dinner - tacos
Exercise - gym class, exercise bike, massage
AnnetteW

Postby sirdle » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 am

That is a might-fine looking trend, Annette! Well done!

sirdle

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:52 am

sirdle wrote:That is a might-fine looking trend, Annette! Well done!

Thanks, I have to keep reassuring myself that I am losing weight. I do my best to keep my eye on that red line, the actual trend. Here is what just 4 weeks looks like, where I'm barely losing...yet it IS going down. At some point it should start dropping again, it has to.
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 am

I'm questioning if I'm craving fat and sugar, or just calories...or what. I'm falling into the almond butter and dates. Why do I even have almond butter in my fridge, because I was weak and bought it last weekend, and it's so yummy. I can accept the fact that I'll have a few non-compliant foods when I eat out, but I'm not supposed to do that in my own home.

I was so hungry yesterday after I had lunch. I was not satisfied. And it's still hard for me to know exactly what it means to feel satisfied. It's not a tummy thing. I can eat and be physically satisfied, but I'm still wanting more food, and not so much that I feel sick. I'm still not sure if it's a "cram" thing or not. Perhaps I need to listen to more of the Dr. Lisle youtubes, set my mind straight.

How do people do it, just have the will power to not eat things? I know, I know...don't have it around is a good place to start. I'm not eating chips or cookies, or mayo or other junky SAD foods...I'm eating nuts, nut butter and dates. All high caloric dense foods, I know that

The only thing I can do is just keep trying to do better. I want to do better.

Plan for the day:

Breakfast - oats, banana, soymilk
Lunch - Mongolian grill with friends (I should be able to control this well enough)
Snack - to keep from eating other things, I'll eat potatoes and apples (or canteloupe)
Dinner - the tacos we didn't end up eating last night

Exercise - class at the gym, housework
Fun Stuff - work on quilt, clean fish tanks :duh: , listen to Youtubes to set mind straight, start rereading Starch Solution or MWL
AnnetteW

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals