FrowsyOwl's Final Commitment

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: FrowsyOwl's Final Commitment

Postby frowsyowl » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 am

7/11...

Back into some too-tight pants today, still could be a bit better fitting, but I can breathe! Went to bed at a reasonable hour, but I'm still tired.

Food:
B: 2/3c dry oats, raspberries 3/4c?, flax
L: spring mix, raw cauliflower, FF dressing; mystery soup from freezer...I'll have to look up the recipe. Think it's from FOK
D: Soba noodles, frozen veg, large white flour tortilla

Starting to think about what I'd like for next week:

Mashed potatoes for my main starch? with some sort of corn chowder/succotash over the top; Jeff's burgers sound good too. Will probably want to stash another soup in the freezer, but haven't thought of what yet.
Last edited by frowsyowl on Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:14 am

7/12, Friday.

Dinner was a bit different than I planned yesterday. Ended up having soba noodles, with vegetables, and was so hungry by the time I got home (didn't finish the mystery soup, and had no starch), that I ended up eating one of my husband's white flour tortillas.

We all know not to go to the grocery store hungry, I didn't, but I had planned my list while starving, so have lots of things to make this weekend. I did need to restock the freezer, but feeling like I was a bit too ambitious in my planning. Got that out of the way last night. No exercise, went to bed about 8:00.

Resisting the urge to go to the coffee shop for C.R.A.P and caffeine. Had a minor stupid thing happen at work, so besides being hungry, I want to blot it out with grease and sugar. I can't progress on many of my work projects, b/c I'm waiting for responses from other departments.

Food Today:
B: 2/3c oats, raspberries, flax
L: Brown rice, black beans w/salsa, summer squash and frozen veg. Apple. About 3 cups total of food (not including the fruit).
D: Unsure...maybe whole wheat spaghetti with veg, unless I get around to making a new recipe.

I want to walk tonight, but it's going to be pretty hot. I might have to do a video or something. Or mall walk--depressing.
frowsyowl

Postby Ruff » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi Owl, just popping in to say hello.

Your first post intrigued me .....

Every failed step, we learn something. Try something, fail, what havewe learnt? we can build on that. We now know something that doesn’t work. Mark your new knowledge and move on.

And from time to time new stuff, good or bad, comes along and we have to try new things and learn new stuff that does and doesn’t work.

There is in fact only one failure, and that is to stop trying. And here you are, you have not stopped trying, therefore you have not failed.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby frowsyowl » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Thank you for stopping, Ruff!

I am still here, and still trying...though there were many mis-steps since I last posted. I can't even recall what went wrong...except that at some point, I determined I wanted to speed up the process and :duh:

I'm sneaking back on plan so that my mind doesn't notice that there is less junk and I won't be restricting so much again. Still not at the sweet-spot where I am seeing weight loss. I think I'm ready to start tracking things again more closely, adding exercise, etc. I seem to do my "best work" this time of year.

Current weight: 208.2. Down about 1.5 lbs from the last few weeks. Unsure if this is an actual loss yet.

TRIGGER ALERT: I'll be journaling what I'm eating, and not all of it is back on plan!

Menu plan this week:
B: Alternating between Oatmeal with raisins and PB Ezekiel Toast with banana
L: Red lentil soup w/salad and apple or leftovers, or a frozen meal (for variety--and laziness)
D: Mashed potatoes, with Mary's mushroom gravy, peas and green beans
Black beans with Rice and corn, side of veg
Tofu stir-fry made with frozen stir-fry veg over rice or angel hair

I've been intending to reduce my night time eating, and only having random successful days. So on top of these meals, there has been popcorn and occasional chocolate at work, the Monday (and Tuesday) morning donut for "mental health" reasons during the day. With nighttime selections being: cereal, my husband's trail mix, and more peanut butter toast. Maybe I need to have a planned fourth meal for awhile, and then wean myself off?
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 am

After I posted the other day, I went home, had a nice healthy dinner, and then snacked all evening. It's like just talking about doing better was a trigger.

Yesterday, I hardly slept, and I don't think I ate a single good thing...I added peas to a frozen meal. Wooo!
B: Pop tarts, and coffee
L: Frozen meal with extra peas, two toaster waffles, trail mix
D: Vegetable fried rice, and two crab rangoons (I was out at a meeting, and asked husb to get take out, he didn't think what I asked for was on the menu, so I ended up with this...and I ate it all).
S: Raw oats and cereal with almond milk.
Made myself go to a personal training appointment, I had already cancelled on Tuesday. So about 35 min of exercise.

Today:
More sleep!!! I love sleep!
B: Cold cereal with almond milk, half mug black coffee
L: Red lentil soup, two slices Ezekiel bread, apple.
D: Planning to have the left-over salad from this week. Not sure what else, grocery shopping tonight. Maybe soup again.

Oh, and I finally typed up a permanent grocery list...actually three of them. Every second rotation I will swap out a compliant meal with one of my husband's favorites so they are spread out. My plan is to gradually modify them to be better, or to have an alternate choice for me.

Menu this week:
B: Oatmeal with raisins or PB toast and fruit
L: "burgers and fries" w/ salad and fruit
D: We didn't get around to making the beans and rice or the tofu stir-fry this week, so we'll have those. Also want to make FOK Mushroom Stroganoff. Will have frozen vegetables with each meal.

Hope everyone has a nice long weekend planned. We'll be visiting my parents. I'm supposed to be transplanting things in our yard, but I keep procrastinating.
frowsyowl

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:02 am

That's a great idea, the permanent grocery list. Some repeat menus are good thinking, too. That, and having baked potatoes in the fridge at all times :lol: (she says, wishing she had remembered to BRING potatoes with her for nibbling at work)

Yard work sounds actually pretty good. If it isn't too hot this weekend, I want to get some weeds pulled. We have a massive rosemary and a huge sage plant that both need splitting. That will have to wait, but isn't it nice looking at the finished job, after some hard work out in the garden?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi Buns,

The grocery list is great! I don't know why I couldn't figure it out before. Maybe I was fighting the routine of it, but now I don't have to figure out what to have. I think the three weeks will give us enough variety, and I do switch things around if we don't get to a recipe.

I did NO yard work this weekend (or this week), but I did white-knuckle my way back on plan. I had "drawn a line in the sand" for 9/1 and then remembered that August has 31 days...little anti-climactic. I started on the 31st. I've had a few snacking episodes since then, but nothing horrendous. I'm getting back in the groove more quickly after slips.

It is so nice to see the finished job in the garden. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the weather and see if there aren't some cooler days coming up so that I can transplant things without killing them. I'm not a great at watering after the first week.

Menu this week:
Breakfast: Oatmeal, fruit--maybe alternating with what's left of the Ezekiel bread. (best not to have that in the house all the time).
Lunch: I think it's called Caribbean Rice from the McDougall Recipe App (If you have a really old app, upgrade to the new one--works so much better!) It has veg in it, but I might add a salad or raw veg, and fruit.
Dinners: Broccoli/Potato soup (from the app) w/Salad, or Spaghetti, or Rice/Veg and Tofu.

I've lost some water weight--down to about 203-4. Last time I was here, I jinxed myself by buying new jeans, then bounced back up again. I've done that a few times, so no purchases until my clothes are falling off!

Looking back at some of my goals...
Skin--still kind of meh. It's healthier, but still not clear.
Exercise--Have settled into a pattern of Maybe Tuesday, definitely Thursday, and a long walk or some such on Sundays.
Lady issues--not as terrible as initially, but might be due to medication. Not as much pain last time, but I used Ibuprofen as a preventative. Hope to not need to take anything eventually.

This week: Keep the meal routine, and limiting snacking. Get back into the jeans that I mentioned?
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Already Monday again! Overall, still feeling positive about this, but did have a bit of a snack-attack this weekend, especially Saturday...moving on. I am noticing the last two days, that there are certain meals that I don't feel like eating the last few bites of. I usually do get hungry and finish it later, but I'm pleased that I've found my "off" switch...at least for certain foods.

We went on two walks this weekend. Saturday to Fontenelle Forest, a wooded area in Bellevue, NE. We stuck mainly to the boardwalk area and one short, though hilly trail. A year ago, we went on a very hot day, and I almost got heat stroke--going too far, on too many hills. Still felt like I got some nice exercise this time though. They've added a tree-top adventure course, and there were tons of tweens and families enjoying the course. Sunday, we stayed in town, and walked from the Capitol Building, along the "mall" to the University Art Museum. I couldn't get any nice pictures, there is one here: https://www.lincolnparks.org/what_we_do ... -mall.html

There is no more bread in the house, or peanut butter. My food is prepped or planned. I just have to avoid eating my husband's food, and trust/follow my hunger (easier said than done). I think I can be almost MWL compliant. I'm leaving a few items in for convenience: raisins and possibly ingredients in the menus I've already planned (have to look closer at those). Raisins are not a trigger, use them just in my Oatmeal on occasion in the little boxes.
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 am

More Detours....

Did well until dinner last night. Ate later than I planned, and then forgot to round out the soup with more veg, etc. Ended up getting into the tortillas.

This morning, we had a special visitor at 3:30...a bat in the bedroom, so was up until 5:30 before I tried to get more sleep. Ended up with a breakfast at 4:00, and then snacking when I usually eat breakfast, a coffee... :duh:

On a positive note, I did not purchase a treat with the coffee.
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 am

Today is a new day! A day in which I volumize everything...a day in which all goes right!? :shock:

Breakfast--about the same: 2/3 c dry oats, 1 banana, flax, and 1 cup frozen berries, water
Lunch/Snack--Made my salad slightly bigger, brought the same bowl of rice/veg, mandarines; added a banana and a bowl of cooked beets.
Dinner: Same left-over soup, but I'll start with more veg/salad/fruit.

I've got a bag of b-sized potatoes to prepare for rounding out things the rest of the week. I'm going to have to add a week-day vegetable cutting session--have been going through things faster than I expected. Even though I'm not new to the idea of eating this way, it still is a mental adjustment to get enough food.

I missed my exercise last night...the couch has been a magnet lately. I need to make more of an effort to keep busy. Maybe I'll get it in tonight and Friday instead of T/Th. Maybe while I boil potatoes! :D
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:27 am

Well...brought snacks and didn't need them.

Wasn't hungry after my lunch salad and a mandarine, and ran out of time chewing. Had a long afternoon meeting, and was hungry after that--ate a couple little beets. Dinner was soup and a few crackers, and then a small bowl of oats with raisins and almond milk. Later, had 8 oz little red potatoes w/mustard. Calling it good!

Weighing in with MWL group: 205.4

Will report food tomorrow, so I don't have to edit.
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 am

Good Morning! Happy Friday the 13th...it felt like the 13th yesterday at work.

Another good day in the books. Super proud of myself! When I got home yesterday, my husband wasn't wanting to have the spaghetti like I planned. He wanted Runza. I thought briefly about getting a vegetarian one w/lentils--they just started these in our area, but I knew it would be so salty and I felt it would throw my out of my groove. So, I convinced him to have Runza on his own--he felt guilty. I had a compliant meal instead!!!

Yesterday's food:

B: 2/3 c oats, 1c berries, craisins, flax. Carrots, water.
S: Apple
L: 2-1/2 cups red cabbage/carrot salad w/F-free vinaigrette, Caribbean rice 1-2c, 3 mandarines.
S: Beets, 1-1/2 c
D: 2 corn tortillas, salsa, kidney beans, 1c brown rice, 1/2 pkg froz. broccoli
S: 8 oz red potatoes

Was really hungry yesterday compared to the day before. Today, I bought extra fruit and snacks before work to keep in my desk: Bananas, low sodium v-8, Whole Rye Wasa. These things are all plain enough that I hope I won't eat a whole lot at one time.
frowsyowl

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Congrats, you're back on track and doing good :)
Caroveggie

Postby frowsyowl » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:27 am

Hi and Thanks, Caroveggie!

Friday's food:

B: Oats, w/almond milk, flax, raisins and and apple. Water
S: Water, freeze-dried asian pear, 2 Rye Wasa, Banana
L: butternut squash, potato, kidney beans and 1/2pk broccoli, grapes. (Couldn't finish all of this)
S: 2 wasa, low sodium v-8
D: Brown Rice, 1/2 bag frozen veg, 1c oj, 1 svg edamame in the pod (they are more fun that way).

Having trouble typing this, the cat is rubbing on my hands at the same time...will have to keep the snacks I bought at home, because they kept calling to me from the desk drawer.

Slept forever last night, have had a bit of a sinus headache the last two days, and was really exhausted after work last night. I wasn't sure I was going to have dinner, but once I got started had an appetite. Was probably in bed right after, and asleep by 8:30. My hunger has been kind of strange this morning. I made hash browns and veggies, and lost interest part-way through, then was hungry again after an hour, and then again after that. Maybe it's boredom, we really haven't fully gotten going this morning and it's after 10:00.

Weekly Menu (Don't always stick with this, but have everything to make it)
Breakfast: oats and peaches or hashbrowns
Lunches: Split pea soup and raw veg or salad, apple
Dinners: Spaghetti; Lentil Loaf and potatoes; Broccoli/Tofu Stir-Fry.
Snacks: Apples, crackers, potatoes, left overs

This morning, it's been two weeks since gradually trying to get on track--averaging 2lbs/week. And, I know that fat% scales are wildly inaccurate, but my measurement is headed in the right direction this morning. It still thinks I'm about 50% fat give or take. Boooo! :lol:
frowsyowl

Postby frowsyowl » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:55 am

Saturday...low resolve with headache, did a little road trip (Union Pacific Museum) which is always difficult. Also ate some processed things that didn't help control my appetite

B: Hashbrowns, about 2cups (measured frozen), half bag frozen veg, orange juice
S: Left-overs from Friday Lunch: potatoes/kidney beans, banana, one or two wasa.
Early lunch: Oats 1c, 1c almond milk, raisins, banana, flax?
Road trip: 1/2 bag chex mix, green tea, small fruit punch diluted with water.
D: Chipotle bowl: brown rice, black beans, two salsas
S: Two wasa, and probably 1/4 c of husband's snack mix, edamame, orange juice.
frowsyowl

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals