Beginning Again, Four Years Later

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Beginning Again, Four Years Later

Postby moonlight » Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 am

Hi Candice,

I don’t have digestive issues like you have described but I have noticed that when I stray from my diet which is mostly based on the MWL plan, I can get heartburn. It seems mostly from fatty and salty foods. I wish you success in treating your health issues with the McD lifestyle. I’m confident that with time and attention you will make significant improvements in your health. As you know, these forums are filled with knowledgeable people willing to offer support and advice. I look forward to hearing about your progress! :D
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 29, 2019 9:48 am

Heh apple cider vinegar was a bad idea for me, too. It made things so much worse. GERD isn't a huge issue for me, but IBS is, and this has calmed that down so much! Here's to success!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Candyce,

I wanted to let you know that for me, the feeling of being deprived slowly releases. As you become healthier because you choose to eat food that supports your health, your mood will lift. Try to stay on course, be determined, and don't get sucked into beating up on yourself when you make a poor choice. I think the key is to keep making the effort to get healthy. It provides a healthy mindset which in turn makes it all a little bit easier. :D

When I started this journal I made a lot meals from recipes. I tried to cook all the recipes in the MWL cookbook. I was in the kitchen a lot. I think it was part of a process for me because I enjoy cooking. I think I made it too hard, though. Now I spend much less time in the kitchen. I make an occassional recipe and try to batch cook as much as possible. I have discovered frozen vegetables. I can steam vegetables to go with a starch and have dinner ready in 10 minutes. I had to experiment to find what I liked the most and what seems to be triggers to eating more than I need. I tell you this, not for you to copy me, but to say that if you will keep trying, you will find the right path for yourself. You'll develop some good habits over time and build on those.

I hope your spirits lift and you have a good day. You are really doing super!! :D Watching videos is a great way to build the willpower and determination to not give up!!
moonlight

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi Candyce,

I’m just wanted to say Hello because your username got my attention. LOL

It had me remembering 1987 and humming People are Strange from the LostBoys soundtrack, which I believe was by Echo and the Bunnymen.

Welcome!

Amy
amandamechele

Postby Ejeff » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:12 am

For a simple sauce steam 12 ounces of cauliflower, purée that with a few dates you soaked in water and some mustard. Chef AJ just had this recipe posted. She called it a honey mustard dip, but you could thin it out and use as a sauce. If it’s for sweet potatoes you likely don’t need the dates.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:03 am

Have you tried warm lemon water in the morning? It’s surprisingly nice and fulfills that desire to prepare and drink something warm in the morning.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 am

echoandthebunnymom wrote:Yesterday, Sunday, I ate two brown rice cakes with nutritional yeast, a slice of peach pie with a small amount of almond whip (at least I didn't eat the cashew ice cream on the side?) and two small roasted russet potatoes alongside a roasted carrot with a nutritional yeast-mustard dip. I've found a dijon mustard that isn't too spicy or vinegary, and I can tolerate it without heartburn.

Despite my fried cauliflower app, and slice of pie with almond whip, I got on the scale, and in less than two weeks, I have lost about 11 pounds! I said that I wasn't going to weigh myself, because it makes me slip up, but I think now that I will weigh every couple of weeks or so. Every day, or every week, is too often for me, and I'll get discouraged, but every 2-3 weeks should be enough to see some movement, I think.

I haven't weighed this little since before I went on my second bp med about 4-5, maybe six, years ago. I am just floored. I continue to notice better bp numbers (in the 130s over 80s before I take my meds), so I hope that I can get off at least one bp med after my physical in August.

At my last physical, I had high bp, and high cholesterol, so I am curious to see what the numbers will be this August.

Food: I've eaten plain oats, a palmful of fresh blueberries, and tea this morning. For lunch, I have leftover roasted russets and a roasted carrot (about 2.5 small/med russets). For dinner, probably more of the same (roasted potatoes and carrots, but with more nutritional yeast-mustard sauce--my lunch ones are plain).

That's amazing, 11 pounds! well done! I've been looking at your menus and things are looking pretty good. You're sticking to it! I'm sure your physical in August will show amazing improvements!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 am

How do you make the kimchi summer rolls? Do you wrap them in rice paper, or is it a sushi wrapped in seaweed? Do you use rice in them as well? They sound delicious!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals