JAAP AMESZ

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: JAAP AMESZ

Postby Jaap Amesz » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:15 am

Day 15, 2019-3-2

16 feb 191.5
23 feb 183
2 maart 179.5 kilo / 395.73 lbs

Under 400 pounds!
Jaap Amesz

Postby Jaap Amesz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Day 16, 2019-3-3

Worst day so far.
Jaap Amesz

Postby Jaap Amesz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 pm

I got challenged! Game on!

----

Hi ***,

Your challenge is accepted.

I will log 9 out of 10 each day for 7 days, starting tomorrow.
I will not race with others.
The only mark off will be that I like to watch a movie on a cardio machine which is over an hour.

Give me 1 more week, if not. Boot me.

I always win my challenges.

These boards are not a match...... yet. ;)

Kind regards,

Jaap Amesz
Jaap Amesz

Postby Jaap Amesz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm

4-3-2019

Yesterday I posted 'worst day so far'. I got McDougall's Revenge at night. Felt like my intestines were exploding. I read a book on the toilet. So really sick and weak. Good news as well, I did not over exercise, cause I was in bed all day suffering! I couldn't stand the sight of food, wasn't hungry all day. Just had some fruit and tea in the evening. Tomorrow another day. Beans are soaking as I write this.
Jaap Amesz

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Oh man, McDougall’s Revenge is awful!! Glad to hear you are feeling better. I’m interested to see how your challenge goes. Good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 pm

ooh! What did you eat that caused your McDougall's Revenge? For me it's always dairy. YUCK.

sorry you went through it, but you look like you're chugging along. :) Keep it up!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Jaap Amesz » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:17 pm

2019-3-5

Still a bit sick. No sports today. I ate some beans with veggies and 2 pieces of fruit. No I did not undereat. I just didn´t feel like eating. It is better then yesterday. Tomorrow I probably can do some sports again, that will help my appetite come back. I did a lot of thinking today, my analysis below.

-------------------------

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

Since I already tend to use some salty and/or sugary sauce on my starch with veggies, adding another load of salt in soups tend to be a bad idea. I might go experimenting with saltless soup mixes in a while. Fruit is the most easy to make. Just grab and eat. Salads I like, though I only can stock it for a few days.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.

No problem. I like lentils the most. I could eat those every day for the rest of my life. As I always joke: I do like veggies, only I do like the rest of foods to.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

Not troublesome for me. I mean full is full. I tend to add just enough sauce to make it a lovely experience. I don't overdo it.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

Easy. After reading Colin Campbell and Caldwell Esselstyn, I am fascinated if I can improve my cramped leg artery.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

Easy. After a few weeks, I dislike the fatty taste anyway is my experience. Despite the caloric density being high.

6. Eliminate any added oil.

Easy. I already stopped doing this for many years.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

Easy, I like oats very much. Though in my country, the government urges people to eat bread to prevent iodine deficiency which is added to bread by law. How to solve this one?

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

Easy. I like tea as well.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

OK. No more fasts. It is like it is.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

This is the most difficult one for me. I like to do cardio as long as my movie lasts. Even my weightlifting routines are all over an hour. So I break this one. But no worries, I am a great starch eater. My buddies call me Mister Bean. ;) So I will compensate.

----------------

-So I will temporary give up on my dream of doing a 40 day fast. Still I think I should do this while I am still fat. But since I am very fat, it is no problem postponing that for many months.

-Since now I am going to eat many meals a day (not hungry, not stuffed) I pick up power lifting again. I will start tomorrow. This is actually cool, since I could not power lift on fasts. On a fast I could only do the non-explosive extended cardio sessions.

-I have another dream: going vegan for 30 days. I did many 3 week runs, but I cannot remember a full month. So the McDougall program is excellent to achieve that.

-I don't have a scale at home, nor can I weigh at the gym, that scale goes to 300 pounds only. Maybe I should not weigh myself for like a month or so. True, I am a competitor. If I don't know, there is nothing to compete. Let's try that. I have to go to a special shop for it to weigh myself on a scale where they weigh trees on it. So it saves me time and travel to. COMMITMENT: I will not weigh myself in march.

-No, I am not a troll on this forum. I just am a fat dude with a lot of cognitive dissonance. It's a hard burden knowing that I can heal my arteries WFPB, yet I feel (at least in the short term) better with a little animal protein. So no need to keep on threatening me on my Facebook. Peace bro's!
Jaap Amesz

Postby Jaap Amesz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:12 am

Maybe I am cursed like the torment of Tantalus.

After 4 days of no exercise my lower back pain has returned. Sometimes episodes were so severe, I could not even reach the toilet and urinated in a bottle. Exercising for many hours lets the pain vanish from both my clogged leg as my lower back. Is an hour a day enough, maybe so, I need to test that.

Now I am in a this twilight zone period, where I have a been a 1000 times and swore I would never return to. After a relapse, it's soooooooooooooo hard to get myself on track. Yet when I do eat loads of veggies for a few days again, then suddenly the pull is gone and I feel so much better. You could call that getting sober from high caloric density, or moving out of the pleasure trap.

Could be I am the biggest failure here. I build my house future obesity proof. So I have a special room with all the foods, yes also the good foods where I can lock the door and then push the key under the door. Then I'm locked out till my friend comes over and opens the door again. What I do, to rehab myself is getting all good foods in the morning out of the room, then lock it. Then I make my meals and move to my 'rehab' without money, I leave my money in the locked room so I cannot falter on the way.

I go to my gym/wellness centre, where I lock myself up all day and eat my meals cold. I read some in the (lower temperate, cause I am there for many hours) sauna, do some slow swimming and wait out the transition headache and intestinal discomfort. After like 5 days I'm freed of those. After like a week or 2 of this protocol, my mind is freed from focus on bad foods.

Time has come to lock myself up again. I cannot get back on track using willpower, I need to force myself with locks. So today I do some chores for the coming week so I can get sick easily (yeah ironic).

Then tomorrow morning I will lock the door. I will post "locked!" tomorrow. If not, well then I have failed again.

------------

I am thinking of going from MWL to just the regular McDougall program. I need to exercise more to get rid of lower back pain. When I'm in my flow, I exercise a lot anyway. When doing Fuhrman/Greger getting more energy in was always a problem after a few weeks of sobriety. Then I get the problem of losing to fast and collapsing. So I'd rather throw in a McDougall program plate of potatoes, then needing to caloric dilute that from MWL rules. Does it really matter eating 2 fruits or 3 fruits after 4 hours of cardio? Well 3 is not allowed on MWL. And more then an hour cardio is also not allowed on MWL, but is fine on the McDougall program.
Jaap Amesz

Postby Skyscraper » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 am

Hello Jaap. I feel it would do you some good to try to relax and clear your head. You seem all over the place. One day going through the maximum weight loss checklist and saying how easy it all will be and then a couple days later talking about how difficult it is. I think you need to come clean with yourself that this will not be easy for you. Its not a contest, a competition, or some kind of short term challenge. This is something for the long term. The only comparison you should be doing is with yourself. Are you sticking closer to the program this week? Did you do better this month than last month? Is this day better than yesterday?

I think you should stick with the regular McDougall program for now. It will take you far. Maybe someday when you are close to your ideal weight you will need to implement some principles from the Maximum Weight Loss program to get past that last stretch. That will be there for you then if you need it.

Focus on building compliance but don't beat yourself up or spiral out of control or panic if you are not 100% compliant right away. You need to give yourself time to change. These are big changes for you. Keep track of compliant and non compliant meals and see how you do for the month. Don't let one non compliant meal mean that the whole day is a bust; take it one meal at a time. At the end of the month see what percentage of your meals were compliant. If you did better than last month then you should regard it as a big success. Each month set a goal to score better than last month and see how you do. Every non compliant meal is a chance to learn. What conditions lead to making that decision? What ideas can you come up with to help prevent it next time?

I don't understand what you are talking about with locking yourself out of a room. If you have a room where you are storing a bunch of unhealthy food you need to gather up your strength and then get rid of all that food. Keeping it locked up is pointless unless you intend to eat it later. Get it out of your house. And if you buy more, then when you can, gather up your strength and get rid of it. The side of you that is in the pleasure trap will try to sabotage the side of you that wants to get healthy. But two can play that game. Be a saboteur and destroy the perfectly good junk foods you buy. Eventually you will get tired of throwing that money away and you will stop buying it, since you know that you will later throw it out when you feel differently about it.

Keep things simple. What difference does it make if you eat 2 (whole, not dried, not sweetened) fruits a day or 6? Eating 6 servings of whole fruit would be a good thing, not a bad thing. Just eat whole starchy vegetables, whole intact grains, beans and legumes, whole fruits, and whole vegetables. Don't make it more complicated than that.

I think you can exercise as much as feels comfortable and sustainable for you. It is hard to judge just based on time. Exercising for 2 hours may not be too much if it is low intensity like walking. You need to be the judge. What you don't want to do is get hyped up and do a crazy dangerous workout that is going to get you hurt.

Simplify then focus. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. I think it causes too many negative feelings when you fail. Maybe consider this month a practice month. Maybe consider it all practice. Do the best you can and keep going. Work on improving over time rather than expecting it should be easy and you should be perfect right away.
Skyscraper

Postby Jaap Amesz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 am

Let me nuance.

Being already in flow, compliance is easy.
Getting into flow after relapsing is a very hard thing for me.
My relapse pattern is to much confidence after some time. It al seems so easy, yet I relapse.

I should get rid of bad stuff and accept financial loss. Then no lock is needed indeed.
Jaap Amesz

Postby f00die » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:16 am

ill post this very useful advice again
seems you have yet put it into practice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STHoPKQxbko
best advice ive found for those having a hard time
getting the program going
and this one
https://youtu.be/nSXAdJRdc8g?t=1350
f00die

Postby Jaap Amesz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:59 am

2019-3-8

Made 4 massive pans of these:

1 peas, Asian veggie mix, citrus sauce
2 lentils, kale, mushroom, onion, celery root, pepper, paprika, tomato sauce
3 black beans, mixed veggies, chilli sauce
4 sweet potatoes, kale, pepper, mustard

Portioned & froze.

Fresh in house: carrots, kiwi, banana, apples, tomato, cucumber, lettuce.

Also got some nice vinegars to throw on my salads.

Estimate my loss at about 10 euro that I threw away. Ripped open the packages and threw in rancid bin just to make it unappealing to revert. Locked up my money in my vault where I don't have a key off.

So succes is guaranteed this weekend. Let's stop reveling this weekend. Report back on Monday.

Have a nice relaxed weekend my friends.
Jaap Amesz

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Jaap Amesz wrote:2019-3-8

Made 4 massive pans of these:

1 peas, Asian veggie mix, citrus sauce
2 lentils, kale, mushroom, onion, celery root, pepper, paprika, tomato sauce
3 black beans, mixed veggies, chilli sauce
4 sweet potatoes, kale, pepper, mustard

Portioned & froze.

Fresh in house: carrots, kiwi, banana, apples, tomato, cucumber, lettuce.

Also got some nice vinegars to throw on my salads.

Estimate my loss at about 10 euro that I threw away. Ripped open the packages and threw in rancid bin just to make it unappealing to revert. Locked up my money in my vault where I don't have a key off.

So succes is guaranteed this weekend. Let's stop reveling this weekend. Report back on Monday.

Have a nice relaxed weekend my friends.

Cleaning your food environment by getting rid of non-compliant items (even when it means a loss of money) seems like a wise choice, to me. I wish you a successful weekend of compliant and delicious meals. Take care and be well.
Mark Cooper

Postby Jaap Amesz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Still on! I am preparing an essay for this forum. I'll be back within a week.
Jaap Amesz

Postby Jaap Amesz » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am

My promised essay! Though it wasn't for you, it was to get myself clarity. Feel free to comment.

Protecting sobriety as a core value.

Ironically, I have more e-books on health and diet, then I can read in the rest of my life time. Also, I got a few hundred hard copy books and I even did my master thesis on a obesity related subject, including referencing that thesis with a few hundred articles. Now comes my point: the most remarkable story I come across was that of Colin Campbell & Caldwell Esselstyn.

Seeing the concrete pictures of arteries from closed to opening up in Esselstyn's book was amazing. It was so mind blowing, cause it goes from 'he said, she said', from 'my science, your science', from abstraction, to something easy to see and grasp. Namely, dying of clogged arteries to reversing that with efflux. Only your eyes were needed to comprehend that significance. I read Ornish his heart book immediately after that. Though when I presented these works to my goverment's heart council, I only got the reply that when arteries are clogged, that's there to stay forever. Wow, talking about being stuck in paradigm!

The career story of Colin Campbell is utterly fascinating. Coming to the conclusion that animal protein is the strongest carcinogen ever discovered for rats and most likely for humans as well, was quite shocking to me coming from a low-carb background. I read the China Study to exclude it, but it hooked me. It dragged me into the WFPB movement, which gave me miracle health results on the short term which I will tell in a later blog. Point; I can vouch for the miracles, I experienced it myself.

Yet, somehow, I kept on sliding back.... I investigated that and found The Pleasure Trap phenomenon. However, just reading that book isn't enough, at least for me. It only made me feel worse, when I relapsed again. I should know that stuff right?!

Well, I really reflected on my journey last week. What's my culprit?

Let me tell you this story. I was in for a few weeks completely WFPB, and my taste had adjusted. All was fine actually. Then I got in this situation, where I helped to eat some cheese sandwiches, in order not to spoil them. It was like fireworks went of in my brain! It was such a rush! Please consider that a cheese sandwich is pretty mundane in our Western society right? That was enough to let me slip back. Rich foods can hook you so quickly, at least talking about myself.

I need to protect myself. Staying on the program should be a core value, much stronger then I considered it in the past. It should be a value like not raping, no violence, no stealing and no straying of the program NO MATTER WHAT. Yes, then that cheese sandwich is lost. No, I don't take meals with people who push and don't understand. Yes, I should meal prep as important as upholding the law. No, there is no such thing as a free sample of a non-compliant product, consider that free bee as chains!

To be honest, I am a quick relapser. However, I am also great at complying. Sounds confusing right? Well, it's more when I stray, I stray big time, all is lost, punish myself even more, postpone etc etc.

Now I get back fully on the program, I realize I have to fight for my core value of sobriety. I have to be tough to certain people, tell them no, maybe even kick them out of my live. Breathing is equal to complying. Protecting sobriety is my core value. :!:
Jaap Amesz

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals