Journey of a hard core fattie

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Journey of a hard core fattie

Postby spinner » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 pm

After a small weight gain over Thanksgiving, I was determined to at least hold steady over Christmas. I think my portion sizes had gotten too big. I know we're not supposed to worry about how much we eat, but this is a major issue for me. Ad libidum for me is a disaster. I made a concerted effort to not just eat the appropriate foods but to eat normal sized portions of food. I was often just a little hungry at bedtime, which I took to be a good thing. I ended up losing about 3.5 pounds Christmas week and am stoked to keep this up.

I have a regular doctor's appointment in about three weeks and am trying to get closer to my upper limit of a normal BMI by then. I know this is silly. I should be concentrating on forming good habits and attitudes about food for the long haul. Still, it's nice to have a time dependant goal.
spinner

Re: Journey of a hard core fattie

Postby spinner » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:58 am

My weight loss has stalled for a few days, mostly due to eating too much. Re-reading Jeff's posts on the five pillars and calorie density have helped.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37450#p380957
This post has also helped:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58019

I seem to be on many email lists for WFPB seminars/webinars/it's-January-so-here-come-the-diets. It doesn't start in January for me; it's a lifestyle. Thank you, Jeff, for restoring a perspective to all this. I really do want my life back.
spinner

Postby Michele613 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 am

Hi Spinner....sounds like you were very successful in fending off serious temptations and weight gain. Glad you're back to recommitting in the new year. If you're not already on the thread, how 'bout joining the January 2019 MWL thread with Friday weigh-ins and accountability. You in? :D
Michele613

Postby spinner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi Michele613,
I've thought about it and can't decide. For years I tried Weight Watchers and grew to dread the weekly weigh-in. I finally reached goal weight and stayed there a short three months. I could probably use some accountability, but this needs to feel like new habits and new lifestyle rather than weekly weigh-in. I'm going to give it more thought.

I've been on a cooking spree and the fridge is full of fruits and veggies and starches, ready to eat. Planning is important. I've also started back exercising 30 min/5 or 6 days a week. I jog around the kitchen and hallway to a playlist of songs that are 140 to 145 beats per minute. It's not weather dependant, it's nice to hear my old songs from way back when, and I can do it in my pjs if I feel like it. I start off with Gimme Some Lovin by the Spencer Davis Group and off I go!

My husband, newly retired, now goes with me on my daily errands. He wanted to stop and get a fro-yo and so we did. He got one and I didn't, but that's not the good part. The good part was that I didn't want one at all, not even a little. :-D
spinner

Postby Michele613 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 am

Yes I hear you about the additional pressure of weighing in. I am not looking at as a competition...just a way of keeping me on track. If I keep everything to myself then I find I may not take my journey as seriously as I truly in my heart want.

I have an MP3 loaded with 30 FAST songs from 1960's only. Gimme is one of those songs and I too just shake and bop around the house if I'm not inclined to go out. Just hearing the music makes me HAVE TO get up and dance.

Keep on keepin to whatever method it takes for you to see success. Sharing sometimes helps and not doing it in person can be easier than weighing in front of someone.

Stay in touch. Have a good weekend.
Michele613

Postby spinner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 am

Here is my exercise playlist. I got my doctor's approval to exercise this way. Check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.

Gimme Some Lovin, Spencer Davis Group
Still the One, Orleans
Love is Just a Four Letter Word, Joan Baez
Doctor My Eyes, Jackson Browne
Hold On Tight, Electric Light Orchestra
The World is What You Make It, Paul Brady
Paper in Fire, John Mellancamp
Suite Judy Blue Eyes, CSN
Wasted on the Way, CSN
Make It Look Easy, David Wilcox
Fortunate Son, Creedence Clearwater Revival

This is more than the 30 min. I do, but I just pick up the next day where I left off. The Baez and Wilcox songs are a bit faster but just provide a pick me up while I'm "jogging". I borrowed my daughter's metronome to determine the beats per minute for each song. This is the only exercise that I've stuck with over time.
spinner

Postby Michele613 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:06 pm

I was wondering how you knew how many beats your music had. All I know is that mine are FAST. I listened to your play list and concluded that we are a generation or more apart. Was only familiar with a few of them. Whatever gets us movin' and groovin' and losing weight. Keep it going!

Here are just some on my list:

You Can't Sit Down - Dovells
Do You Love Me - Contours
Shout - Isley Brothers
Mony Mony - Shondells
You Really Got Me - Kinks
Soul Man - Sam & Dave
Hold On I'm Coming - Sam & Dave
Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress - Hollies
Let's Dance - Chris Montez

Have a great week! :)
Michele613