My Permanent Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Permanent Change

Postby lucidguppy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Breakfast: Oats and berry mix.

Morning Snack: Slaw salad.

Lunch: Veggie stew over brown rice, small mandarin orange

Snack: Apple with cinnamon on it

Dinner: Veggie rotini pasta with veggie marinara sauce. Probably salad before.

Exercise: 40 minute walk on treadmill at gym 3.2 mph 1% incline.

So today I didn't weigh myself because I visited my parents this past weekend and I had one non-comp meal (vegan though). I don't really feel like seeing the backslide right now. But I am compliant today. Also I think I need to stay away from the scale and just focus on compliance. I know I have to eat this way for the rest of my life - my body just has to fall in line (and it is I am losing weight over time).

Today has been a little tough because I'm in the back half of a cough. Also - DW is baking cookies all day.... all day. Its more annoying than tempting.
lucidguppy

Re: My Permanent Change

Postby lucidguppy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Breakfast: IBID, Lunch IBID

Dinner - instant pot lentils over microwave/panini potatoes.

Exercise: IBID
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:01 pm

I love purple sweet potatoes. They are yummy. Just top them with frozen mix veg (done in instant pot) and salsa. YUM!
lucidguppy

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 am

lucidguppy wrote:I love purple sweet potatoes. They are yummy. Just top them with frozen mix veg (done in instant pot) and salsa. YUM!

I was just thinking about hitting the Asian market for dried mushrooms, and now I'll add purple sweet potatoes to my list! they really are delish.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby lucidguppy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 am

What's worth more - pushing myself too hard now to get to the weight I want/need. Or to develop a WOE that is healthy, permanent, and enjoyable?

I need to be able to do this for years and not give up. If my weight loss is a slower one because I'm doing things I know I can maintain, then that seems like a good compromise.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:29 am

I like to weight myself every day so that I become inured to small weight increases, It does tend to make me feel like weight loss is a slow process, which it is.

Jeff Novick's email yesterday was spot on - really good advice.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 am

I went off-program last night due to a social situation (alcohol and vegan deserts).

Keep calm, carry on.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:00 am

Just made bulgur with the rice cooker and put frozen veggies in the steam basked at the same time.

Put a can of chickpeas, bulgur, and veggies in a bowl and tossed with some cajun seasoning. Plop some salsa on top. Cooking this way is cheap and easy.

Keep it simple - keep it carbed. You do not need complicated recipes - Jeff Novick is finally getting through my thick skull.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Tried roasting broccoli in the oven from frozen - and it was *almost* good. It was the best frozen vegetables I've cooked (that didn't go into a soup or a stew). Using the silpat is very easy.

The cool thing with McDougalling is the amount of leftovers you get.
lucidguppy

Postby lucidguppy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:27 am

I like tossing rainbow salad on top of my burrito filling to increase the veggie content.

I also just got a cruciferous blend from Trader Joe's - and that's a really great way to get more veggies into the food. Just put it on top of whatever you're reheating in the microwave - then swish it in after 2 minutes of cooking - then finish up the heating.

I can have the starches but the more veggies I get in the better (knowing to stop at 1/3-1/2 veggie content).
lucidguppy

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:33 pm

lucidguppy wrote:I went off-program last night...Keep calm, carry on.

I love your attitude!
moonlight

Postby lucidguppy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks moonlight!

Jeff Novick says eat a soup or salad before dinner or a meal. I agree - but its also a good option to eat a salad after your meal instead so you can avoid triggering your gorge reflex (instead of eating seconds - you eat the salad).

Maybeeee - soup for start, then main meal, then salad at the end. Whoa! I should try that.
lucidguppy

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am

lucidguppy wrote:Maybeeee - soup for start, then main meal, then salad at the end. Whoa! I should try that.

Hey, I like this plan! I've got soup cooking now. It really works to take the edge off my hunger and keep me hydrated. I wish I was better at keeping salad made and ready. I'm going to focus on that this week. Best of luck to you! :)
moonlight

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals