Eating & Tweaking

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Eating & Tweaking

Postby choufleur » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Yesterday and today have had some off-plan deviations unfortunately. I know I need to have a general plan for the day with actual prepared food, or I make bad choices. Tonight I will go grocery shopping and pick up some much needed produce, then plan the meals for the next few days.
choufleur

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:42 pm

I've come down with something and have been sick the past couple of days. Nothing serious, but annoying anyway. Here is my plan for today:

B - wasn't hungry for a while and drank a lot of herbal tea. Then about 1/2 lb of roasted brussel sprouts
L - finally was hungry so I had a "normal" lunch: spinach, brown rice, with 2 small sweet potatoes mixed in
D - (planned) soup sounds delicious so cabbage noodle soup
choufleur

Postby choufleur » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:17 am

Followed the plan yesterday which felt great. Made a batch of cabbage "noodle" soup (there are no noodles), and ate a good 6 cups worth, at least.

I'm still fighting this cold so I haven't felt OK to work out. I need to sleep more, which is what I haven't been doing lately. Plan for today (looks a lot like yesterday):

B - brussel sprouts (about 1/2 lb), followed by oatmeal (already ate this)
L - sweet potatoes, spinach,
S - blackberries and/or oatmeal
D - cabbage noodle soup
choufleur

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:26 pm

Yummy that soup! I've got all the ingredients except celery which I can grab on my way home and plan on making this today for dinner... looking forward to it. Congrats on sticking to plan.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby choufleur » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am

Thanks bunsofaluminum! I hope you enjoyed the soup.

I ended up at home earlier than expected so I cooked instead of eating the leftover soup last night. I made a curry with rice, and then had an artichoke later with my partner.

I feel like I haven't lost any weight this week and feel pretty blah, but what is that saying about losing the battle but not the war? I keep reminding myself about "time and adherence" and that the longer I can stick with it, the longer I can reach those long term goals.

Today's plan:
B - a small bowl of oatmeal with blueberries (was eating with my daughter before school), then a bowl of cabbage soup with some brown rice mixed in
L - cabbage noodle soup leftovers, peach
D - leftover Japanese curry and brown rice

Hopefully I'll feel well enough to do some exercise too.
choufleur

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 am

choufleur wrote:Followed the plan yesterday which felt great. Made a batch of cabbage "noodle" soup (there are no noodles), and ate a good 6 cups worth, at least.

I'm still fighting this cold so I haven't felt OK to work out. I need to sleep more, which is what I haven't been doing lately. Plan for today (looks a lot like yesterday):

B - brussel sprouts (about 1/2 lb), followed by oatmeal (already ate this)
L - sweet potatoes, spinach,
S - blackberries and/or oatmeal
D - cabbage noodle soup

Oh yum! A new favorite...this soup is amazing! the seasonings work together for the best flavors. The little bit of nooch, the garbanzos, and the classic onion, celery, and carrots...it's wonderful! This will be in my regular rotation. Thanks for turning me on to it.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:53 am

I'm so glad you liked the soup bunsofaluminum! I just made another batch last night to eat this week. It made the house smell so good while it was cooking and I was pleasantly surprised that my partner said the same thing (he usually doesn't like it when I boil cruciferous veggies, lol).
choufleur

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 am

I've been sick for a few weeks now with a very annoying virus. At last, I am finally getting better and feel like I should be completely done with it soon, but it's taken so long to feel any relief! I've been so miserable and had a little pity party for myself last week eating things I should not have been eating. Although my weight was (surprisingly) down on Friday, I think it was probably because of water loss and not really anything to do with weight.

I do much better when I plan out my day, and am more likely to comply when I do, so here's today's plan:
B - oatmeal (already ate this)
L - cabbage noodle soup, broccoli
D - brown rice, lentils, spinach
choufleur

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:05 am

Oh, dear, I'm goad you're starting to feel better!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks Idgie! I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for later this week, but I'm thinking I might cancel it if I continue to improve. :)

I wanted to write a little more about a situation involving my daughter that I keep thinking about. Her school is having a Halloween party tomorrow where they will be serving snacks. My daughter just started school and this is the first school party she's ever been to so there isn't any precedence. I asked the teacher what will be served and was provided a list: apple cider, kool-aid, Halloween pretzel snack mix, Halloween fruit snack mix, cheese puffs, popcorn... you get the picture. Why do we always have to have kid celebrations with TOTAL JUNK FOOD?? It makes me so mad!

Since I wasn't provided a full ingredient list, I have no idea if any of these snack mixes contain dairy, but they almost certainly contain oil. I talked this over with my partner last night and we had a semi-argument over it. He feels that once in a while, for special events, it's OK for her to deviate. I can understand that perspective but I also feel like we are almost always celebrating something and what kind of message does it send that when it's party time, we celebrate by eating unhealthy foods?? So I am leaning toward providing my own "party package" of yummy, compliant foods for her (provided the teacher is OK with this). But part of me also wonders if I keep doing this kind of thing will I isolate her from her classmates and create social anxiety?

Ugh, too much thinking, I'm sure!
choufleur

Postby choufleur » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Halloween is over and we survived. :) I sent my daughter to school yesterday with a substitute party snack package which included fresh raspberries, air-popped popcorn, a dried fruit bar, and an applesauce pouch. She ate everything and apparently didn't finish her lunch, probably because she had too many snacks. :lol:

I am finally going to the doctor today to make sure everything is OK with me. I feel better but am coughing so much at night that it's interfering with my sleep.
choufleur

Postby Idgie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Way to go on the snacks! And I hope the doc has some help for you.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby choufleur » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 pm

I am back to reading and posting on these boards. I am finally completely well again, after a long virus which eventually required 2 trips to the doctor and antibiotics. :(

December is always a busy month and this year is no exception. I've gotten takeaway food too often and had some holiday crap that I shouldn't have. The good news is that my weight hasn't changed much, if any, but that's due to exercising, not my perfect McDougalling. Things in my personal life are also changing again which is stressful. I will be a single parent again in the new year, and will have to figure out how to adjust my schedule. I can probably stick with simple meals but finding the time to exercise will be difficult.

That's all I want to say for now. I'll probably be back to planning and posting my daily logs next week. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out what to prepare/bring to the family Christmas celebrations in the next few days.
choufleur

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals