Eating & Tweaking

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eating & Tweaking

Postby choufleur » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm starting a journal to keep myself accountable. I do not have a lot of weight to lose but I think tweaking some things may help me lose the visible fat I'm carrying. More important than losing weight though, is getting closer to 95-100% compliance. I'm currently eating too much processed and vegan junk food. I am not moving my body as much and I'm giving in to general laziness with convenience foods and social activities. I believe this is the best way to be eating for health and now that I am raising a young child, I want to be a good role model and for her to want to eat this way as well.

Things I would like to work on:
  • Adjusting calorie density. I used to eat a ton more vegetables than what I'm currently eating. I loved that it made my digestion great, and I think it's probably one of the reasons I am not leaner than I could be. I got away from this because of all of the prep involved with making chopped salads and the cost of fresh leafy greens. I think maybe buying some convenient bagged greens and frozen vegetables will help with this. I'll aim for 50:50 or at least 1/3 of the plate filled with yellow/green vegetables.
  • Stopping eating when comfortably satisfied. I am a volume eater and it's hard for me to know when to stop eating at times.
  • Standing up for myself and my daughter at social events. I am the only one around me who eats like this and I used to be better about refusing to eat anything non-compliant and bringing my own food. I am having a harder time with this now that my daughter is understanding more, just started school, and is showing an interest in eating the things her extended family and friends are eating.
Hm, I thought I had more but that's it for now. :)
choufleur

Re: Eating & Tweaking

Postby choufleur » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:31 pm

This weekend was a bit of a mess, which isn't very surprising since the weekends seem to be where I have the most trouble complying. I think planning for the weekend in advance, and having lots of readymade MWL food in the fridge will help with the derailment. Today is already off to much better start.

B - 1/2 12 oz bag of sugar snap peas, oatmeal
L - started with the other half of the 12 oz bag of sugar snap peas, 6 cherry tomatoes, brown rice/lentils/spinach, small apple

For dinner I will probably make this sweet potato lentil curry recipe again, which I made for the first time last week, since it was good and I still have eggplant in the fridge. I made it without oil and used regular potatoes, and will do the same today.

I also went swimming (my favorite way to work out) this morning for roughly 1 hour.
choufleur

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:06 am

Report back from yesterday. I ate a small bowl of raw carrots and mustard (and then wondered if mustard was MWL?) while waiting for dinner to finish cooking and to have a snack with my toddler.

For dinner I had the potato/lentil curry I had planned and it was just as good, though my toddler didn't love it. She did eat one small bowl so it wasn't horrible to her but she didn't want anymore, and I know she can eat a lot more. She then asked for a dessert. Unfortunately she's been getting some desserts lately so she seems to now be expecting them. I explained that we don't always have a dessert after dinner and she had 2 small apples. There was a small tantrum and she wasn't happy but tolerated it.

My partner and I take turns taking our daughter to school and today was my turn. On these days, it's hard to fit in exercise, since I like to get it done in the mornings, but this is tough because it would mean waking up around 4:30 am to fit our schedule. I haven't been able to figure out where to squeeze it in later in the day but am still thinking about it.

Planned food for today:
B - roasted brussel sprouts, followed by oatmeal
L - leftover potato/lentil curry with brown rice, apple
S - raw carrots, tomatoes, if needed
D - some kind of whole grain or potato with spinach and no-oil pesto
choufleur

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:37 pm

This was lunch. First bowl of 3 anyway.

And testing to see if I can display a photo courtesy of Idgie. :)
choufleur

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 pm

choufleur wrote:Report back from yesterday. I ate a small bowl of raw carrots and mustard (and then wondered if mustard was MWL?) while waiting for dinner to finish cooking and to have a snack with my toddler.

I checked the MWL book and yes, mustard is included.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby choufleur » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:58 pm

Thank you so much for checking Idgie!

I followed my food plan pretty closely today. I had some carrots before lunch today, and had a second helping of the curry/rice, which may have been overeating a bit, but am still happy overall. For dinner I ended up making brown rice again and having that with some no-oil pesto and peas. I had about 2 large bowls.

While the rice was cooking, I ate some green beans and boiled some broccoli for tomorrow. Sometimes I drink the water I cook my vegetables in, which might be weird, but hey, I'm weird. :) I figured it was a little like starting my meal with soup. My daughter came up to me while I was drinking my "soup" and asked what I was eating. I told her "broccoli soup" and she wanted to try some. She liked it, and wanted a bowl with me, which was funny and cute.
choufleur

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Oh, that's adorable, and I think it's a really good idea! I mean, you are regaining the vitamins lost in cooking!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby choufleur » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 am

Ah you're right Idgie, about reclaiming the lost nutrients! I don't always drink the cooking water but maybe I will do it more often now. :)

Today started early so I could get some exercise and swim for a little more than an hour. I'm so grateful my partner and I have been able to work on this arrangement that gives me 3 mornings/week to do some kind of exercise. I'd like to figure out how to incorporate more during the other days, and am still thinking how to fit that in.

Today's food plan looks a lot like yesterday's:
B - cooked broccoli, followed by oatmeal
L - lentil/potato curry with brown rice, apple
S - maybe some carrots or oatmeal, if needed (I am realizing I don't have many snacks at work)
D - brown rice with no-oil pesto and peas
choufleur

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi choufleur! You mention raising your daughter this way. I’m curious to hear more about your philosophy. I have kids, too, and love to learn from other parents the things that work for them.

Best, Lindsey

P.S. I water my plants with the cooking water sometimes, too.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby choufleur » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Hi choufleur! You mention raising your daughter this way. I’m curious to hear more about your philosophy. I have kids, too, and love to learn from other parents the things that work for them.

Hi Lindsey!

I am trying to raise my daughter to eat a WFPB diet free of animal and dairy products. Ideally it would be oil-free and starch-based (regular McDougall plan) as well. Since I was the primary caregiver for my daughter since birth to about 2.5 years old (long story), this is the main diet she's familiar with and I prepare all of our food at home. However, my partner/her dad eats SAD, and so does the rest of my family, so my daughter sees everyone else around her eating a lot of foods we don't eat. So far, it's been OK and she hasn't asked any questions about it, but she's pretty young and I'm sure we will discuss it eventually.

She is 3.5 now and has just started preschool, meeting other kids her age and socializing. I have a lot of (unreasonable?) fears about the future and what's coming. I know kids can be mean, especially when you're "different." But for now, I'm trying to do my best.

She does eat some higher fat foods like avocados and nuts. She has also been to restaurants and eaten less ideal foods with oil and salt, but I'm trying to work on that. Occasionally her dad also gives her non-compliant treats which I am not too happy about, but also feel like it's a compromise since I get to control almost all of her meals.

I hope that answers your question? Do your kids also eat like this? I would love to talk more with other parents, since like I mentioned above, I feel pretty alone eating this way!
choufleur

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info! Finding the right balance between our “ideals” and navigating what everyone else is doing can be tricky, especially in mixed households. My husband eats meat, so the kids and I have had talks about that when he is not around, because his feelings would be hurt and he would feel defensive. My kids are 6, 4 and 3 months. Our firm rule is no meat ever, and no dairy in the house. Things are easy to control at home, and out in the real world we just do our best. I look at it that I’m trying to teach them to make good choices, not force them, so at restaurants and grandma’s house they get to exercise that decision making (which they also can do at home, we just don’t have junk in the house). We home school, so school lunches aren’t an issue. It’s really just restaurants and relatives.

What can be so great about this way of eating is the simplicity, which is perfect for youngsters. For lunch the girls requested chickpeas and corn. Just drain the cans and serve! Dinner is whole wheat noodles and SOS-free sauce. Is your daughter eating the same breakfasts and dinners as you? Does she have favorites?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby choufleur » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 am

Yes, it's definitely challenging finding that balance! If you don't mind me asking, how does your husband feel about your kids eating this way? Does he support it? I think if my partner fully supported this way of eating, it would make things a lot easier. For now, he is letting me do what I want, but I don't think he actually agrees with me. He is an "everything in moderation" believer, and also does not think meat and dairy are bad. Have you been able to explain to your kids why no meat and dairy, and/or why other people eat those things?

Yes, I also agree with you about the simplicity! Oftentimes, we eat very simply which makes meal prep a breeze. Some of my daughter's favorites are whole wheat pasta (plain or with tomato sauce), soba noodles with edamame, and mashed beans (like refried beans but without oil). For the most part, we eat the same breakfasts and dinners, but now that I am doing MWL, I am not eating pasta and am instead having potatoes/brown rice. I do occasionally add extras to her meal like avocado with the beans or nuts in her oatmeal.
choufleur

Postby choufleur » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am

An update from yesterday (Wednesday). I stayed pretty close to my plan. Breakfast was cooked broccoli, then oatmeal. Before lunch I had some carrots and more broccoli, and then had the lentil/potato curry, with a small apple for dessert. I planned to go to a pilates class after work, and thinking I needed some fuel (not sure this is true or not), I had a small bowl of oatmeal around 3:45 pm. Pilates was awesome and hard. For dinner I ate about 3 bowls of brown rice with pesto and peas.

So far, I feel good about sticking to MWL foods, but I wonder if I am overeating. I didn't eat enough vegetables with dinner (not following the 1/3 or 1/2 rule) which probably would have prevented me from eating that third bowl. I didn't think about it, and was distracted with my family.

Today's plan:
B - 1/2 bag (6oz) sugar snap peas, 1 large potato - I've already eaten this
L - broccoli and carrots, lentil/potato curry with brown rice, apple
D - potatoes, green beans, tomatoes

We are going to visit some family for dinner tonight so all of the kids can play together. Sometimes this is challenging food-wise since the other kids may have a special dessert (e.g. cookie), and my daughter will ask if she can have one too. If I had thought about it more yesterday, I would have packed a compliant treat for her, but I was so exhausted yesterday I went to bed early.
choufleur

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 pm

choufleur wrote:Yes, it's definitely challenging finding that balance! If you don't mind me asking, how does your husband feel about your kids eating this way? Does he support it? I think if my partner fully supported this way of eating, it would make things a lot easier. For now, he is letting me do what I want, but I don't think he actually agrees with me. He is an "everything in moderation" believer, and also does not think meat and dairy are bad. Have you been able to explain to your kids why no meat and dairy, and/or why other people eat those things?

Yes, I also agree with you about the simplicity! Oftentimes, we eat very simply which makes meal prep a breeze. Some of my daughter's favorites are whole wheat pasta (plain or with tomato sauce), soba noodles with edamame, and mashed beans (like refried beans but without oil). For the most part, we eat the same breakfasts and dinners, but now that I am doing MWL, I am not eating pasta and am instead having potatoes/brown rice. I do occasionally add extras to her meal like avocado with the beans or nuts in her oatmeal.

I'm sorry that this response got a little long winded and is hijacking your journal.

My husband is mostly on-board with me taking the lead on food. The strict rule is no-meat-whatsoever. We both aren't into dairy, so that just leaves oil and eggs, and I do most of the cooking. Sometimes he'll question what I'm doing, but he also realizes that I spend more hours per day reading about food than he has in his entire life.

As far as explaining dairy to the kids, there are multiple angles, so I chose what I thought they could most relate to, which is that mommies make milk for their babies, and if we eat/drink cows milk, there is no milk for baby cows. Also, they are not baby cows, then I'll look them over and try to find their hooves, tails, horns, etc. It's kind of a game, but they learn about species appropriateness. I also point out that they are not babies, so they don't need milk anymore anyways.

For meat, we talked about how we know we are not suppose to eat meat because when we look at little bunnies and squirrels we don't think, "Oh yum!" we think, "That's so cute!" whereas a predator would think "Dinner!" A good example of a carnivore is a cat, and we talk about the differences between us and cats (or any other predator, we just have pet cats), like claws, sharp teeth. We also talk about how some grown ups chose to eat meat (in our house it's dad), and that's his choice as a grown up, but they are growing strong bodies and they need the nutrients from plants to grow big and strong.

You sounds like a very attentive and thoughtful mom! Keep up your awesomeness!!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby choufleur » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:16 am

No apology needed! I'm happy to have someone else to discuss these strategies with. Thank you so much for sharing what you've been doing. I like your explanations and think I will do something similar when my daughter gets a little older. We have a cat too so I like the idea of comparing her to us.

You sound just as attentive and thoughtful, and a great mom!!
choufleur

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals