J's new elimination diet

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: J's new elimination diet

Postby jamietwo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:56 pm

LOL! I like that, Lyndzie! :lol: I'll test kale again later after I have a few more foods that I can eat. At least I HOPE I will have a few more foods that I can eat down the road!! :eek: :D

It looks like I will need to test B12 too (see Jeff's response to my question here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58696), but I'm going to wait on those elusive "few more foods" first! :lol:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:28 pm

10/4 brown rice, B, L, D
Oh! And I had a snack .... of brown rice. :P

Rice was a luxury when I couldn't stomach any more pressure cooked squash! But now its getting harder to get the rice down! I'm good on a few foods, but apparently not very good with only one food!

One more day of this, and then I get to eat another food! Woo hoo! :mrgreen:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm

10/5 brown rice, B, L, D

Good news. I get to add broccoli to my diet tomorrow! :D
Bad news. I've searched my freezer, and I don't have any broccoli! :?

I don't want to make a special trip to the store tonight, and I'll be going out in the morning, SO .... I'll start my broccoli at noon tomorrow.

Sprouts had fresh broccoli at $.98/lb last week, but I didn't want to buy it that far ahead. This week they have organic broccoli for $1.98/lb, so I'll probably go with that. The frozen is SO much more convenient, but I normally stock up when its on sale (I like Cascadian Farms broccoli cuts). Guess I'd better not "stock up" until I find out if its a keeper! I sure hope it is!! I can't tell you how tired I am of plain brown rice! :lol:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi,

Wishing you luck with the broccoli (for a bit of variety) !! :)

So impressed with how you are doing elimination diet. Thinking you are a role model for many!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby jamietwo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:51 am

Thank you Vegseekingfit! :)

My broccoli is cooking now! I'm so excited! lol
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:21 pm

10/6 brown rice, B
10/6 brown rice and BROCCOLI, L, D
10/6 broccoli soup, S

I decided to go with my favorite frozen broccoli (Cascadian Farms 16oz broccoli cuts) for convenience. I found an ok deal on it and bought 6 pounds for 3 days. I hope that will be enough! I just dumped the broccoli in a pot with an inch or so of water, boiled it, and then ate it over brown rice. It tasted SOOOO good! :D I dipped the leftover broccoli out of the water with a slotted spoon, so there were some small pieces left in the water. I spooned in some rice. Later in the afternoon, I came in from outside (wet and cold!), and heated up my broccoli "soup". That went down really well too! :nod:

I think I'm going to cook more broccoli this evening in case I need another snack or just to have it ready when I wake up! Hope broccoli is a keeper! Hmmmm, what will I try next?!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Idgie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:04 pm

I like cold cooked broccoli, too. I think I could probably live on broccoli and rice, or broccoli and potatoes.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:12 pm

How have you been feeling? Are you able to reduce your meds?

As far as the next food goes, what about Japanese sweet potatoes? Or maybe zucchini?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby jamietwo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:52 pm

10/7 brown rice and broccoli B, L (LS)

SO I noticed my hand and wrist joints when I got up in the night and today, and I'm noticing a little a bit of lower back pain. BUT yesterday I bleached and then pressure washed the front of my 2-story house. I hauled and climbed ladders and hauled my bleach sprayer and/or pressure washer wand up in one hand while gripping the ladder rungs with the other hand. Plus 2 nights ago, I slipped and fell in the garage, landing on my knee and caught myself with my left hand (because I was wearing my old completely smooth-soled crocks that I NEVER wear away from home anymore because they're dangerous when wet! lol). So all of the above could have contributed to my aches and pains ... or it could be the broccoli! I have to quit introducing all these variables! :lol: But I have things to do and am so grateful I feel like doing them! I will assume that if my aches and pains get worse that its the broccoli, and if they get better, its the unusual activities!

Idgie, what I would give for a potato! lol I ruled them out on my ED 5 years ago, but I may try testing them again this go around ... assuming I can find a few foods to eat first!

Lyndzie, I feel good (in spite of the reactions outlined above!)! Thanks for asking!! I reduced my meds from 300mg to 200 mg around 45 days before I started my ED, and I reduced them further to 100 mg a few days ago! And thanks for the food suggestions! I don't think I want to try another variety of sweet potato yet (since I just ruled out sweet potatoes). Are Japanese sweet potatoes the purple ones?
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Sorry for the bad suggestion! I couldn’t remember if you’d done sweet potatoes yet, and was too lazy to go back and look. Hopefully broccoli works out for you. If so, did you want to stick with the cruciferous family, or venture into another category? Also, how is your weight doing? With all the rice, I’m curious if it has stayed stable or moved around.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby jamietwo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:26 pm

10/7 brown rice and broccoli B, L (LS), S, D, S

Lyndzie wrote:Sorry for the bad suggestion! I couldn’t remember if you’d done sweet potatoes yet, and was too lazy to go back and look. Hopefully broccoli works out for you. If so, did you want to stick with the cruciferous family, or venture into another category? Also, how is your weight doing? With all the rice, I’m curious if it has stayed stable or moved around.

Lyndzie - Not at all! Jeff did say its possible to react to different varieties of the same food, so it was a valid suggestion! :) Plus it hadn't occurred to me that I just tested two cruciferous veggies - isn't that kinda the same thing?

My thought process for introducing new foods (after the butternut squash fiasco) was to test the foods I normally eat. But the vegetables that I eat the most of in my normal diet are cooked kale, broccoli, collards, and carrots, and raw lettuce, cucumber and carrots. I don't know if I could stomach brown rice and carrots! I usually cook a carrot or two with my kale (or broccoli, etc) and eat it with my rice. So maybe I shouldn't test collards next since they're cruciferous too? That was my tentative plan! Also, with the lupus, I try to limit beans (including green beans - in fact, I haven't eaten a green bean in years! If I'm going to eat beans, I'd rather eat black beans, lentils, or pinto beans!). I normally eat a lot of gluten free oats, but I was never sure if it was an issue or not, so I wanted to have a few good foods under my belt before I tested my oats. They will probably fail the test simply by virtue of the fact that I recently bought a 50-lb bag of gf oats! :P

I don't own a working scale, but I can tell by my clothes that I'm losing weight. At least this time, I'm losing it because of what I"m eating and not because of the Lupus! (history - 5 years ago during my super scary Lupus flare, I lost down to 16.5 bmi because of the Lupus. Based on my last weigh-in a couple of months ago at a health screening at work, my BMI was about 20, so I still have quite a bit of wiggle room before I lose too much!).
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:37 pm

10/8 brown rice and broccoli B, L, D

Well, I have a super painful left thumb joint. I don't think its from climbing the ladder, although that could have made it worse. I'm a little concerned that my first 3 foods (after the brown rice) have failed, and the broccoli with rather spectacular results. I'm tempted to give up at this point. Its only been 2.5 weeks, but I'm so afraid that the Lupus is going to get going again and I won't be able to get it under control. :-( I actually thought about hiring Jeff to help me with this before I started. Might have been a good idea!

I'll sleep on it before I give up. I've finished my broccoli for the day, and I will have rice for breakfast, and then we'll see. I've been on 100mg/day of Plaquenil since 9/23 - maybe its time to bump it back up to at least 200mg/day. Maybe I should just be satisfied if I can maintain on that dose (I was maintaining on 300mg/day previously) ... and eat something besides rice!!

Brown rice - good
kale - bad (LS, but no joint pain)
sweet potatoes - bad (mild joint pain)
broccoli - bad (much more noticeable joint pain, especially in left thumb)
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:52 pm

I totally feel for you! That must be so difficult. What about doing both, trying another food and booking a call with Jeff? Who knows, he might be able to get you an appointment sooner than later. I admire you! You are doing something very difficult.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 pm

jamietwo wrote:10/8 brown rice and broccoli B, L, D

Well, I have a super painful left thumb joint. I don't think its from climbing the ladder, although that could have made it worse. I'm a little concerned that my first 3 foods (after the brown rice) have failed, and the broccoli with rather spectacular results. I'm tempted to give up at this point. Its only been 2.5 weeks, but I'm so afraid that the Lupus is going to get going again and I won't be able to get it under control. :-( I actually thought about hiring Jeff to help me with this before I started. Might have been a good idea!

I'll sleep on it before I give up. I've finished my broccoli for the day, and I will have rice for breakfast, and then we'll see. I've been on 100mg/day of Plaquenil since 9/23 - maybe its time to bump it back up to at least 200mg/day. Maybe I should just be satisfied if I can maintain on that dose (I was maintaining on 300mg/day previously) ... and eat something besides rice!!

Brown rice - good
kale - bad (LS, but no joint pain)
sweet potatoes - bad (mild joint pain)
broccoli - bad (much more noticeable joint pain, especially in left thumb)

Hi jamietwo,

Sounds like you are going to fast with the ED. What I do is when pains start up, reset back to one good food you know doesn't hurt you and do so for 4-7 days because it can take that long for the offending food(s) to leave the body as well as the antibodies that are attacking the body by accident. I would also suggest slowing way down on your testing. Test a new food for 4-7 days at a minimum unless you flare badly. And again if you flare, reset to your one good food for 4-7 days before testing a different food. Don't rush so you can be sure of a food and only test it once; something that took me many years to realize. :?

I hope this helps,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby jamietwo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks, Lyndzie! I will consider that!

Ltldogg wrote:Sounds like you are going to fast with the ED. What I do is when pains start up, reset back to one good food you know doesn't hurt you and do so for 4-7 days because it can take that long for the offending food(s) to leave the body as well as the antibodies that are attacking the body by accident. I would also suggest slowing way down on your testing. Test a new food for 4-7 days at a minimum unless you flare badly. And again if you flare, reset to your one good food for 4-7 days before testing a different food. Don't rush so you can be sure of a food and only test it once; something that took me many years to realize. :?

Scott, thanks for sharing your experience. Right now, brown rice appears to be my ONLY safe food! I was basing my 3-day test on Jeff's writing on the subject (or at least my interpretation of what he wrote!). I can very definitely say that I'm reacting to the broccoli due to hand and foot joint pain mainly, but also that general achy body feel. When I started this ED, I was 100% pain free, just concerned about being on meds. I'm curious why you continue to test a food for 4-7 days if you are reacting to it? Does it ever improve between 3 and 7 days? I've only had one "bad" Lupus flare. It lasted months, and I didn't think I was ever going to recover from it! I really don't want to go there again! How are you doing now?
Jamie
jamietwo

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals