J's new elimination diet

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

J's new elimination diet

Postby jamietwo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm starting a new elimination diet TODAY! And I'm starting with ONE food - butternut squash. I rarely eat squash, so hopefully it will be safe, and I can start adding in other foods soon!

I'm hesitant to do this because I've been feeing GREAT! But I've been on plaquenil (hydroxycholorquine) since October 2013 when I had a super-scary Lupus flare, and there are some possible scary long-term effects of being on plaquenil. My rheumatologist tells me I'll be on it for life, but then she doesn't believe that diet can put Lupus in remission.

I have three concerns about doing this now.
1/ Will my results be valid since I'm still on plaquenil? I've reduced my dose to 200 mg/day and have been on that for around 45 days. I can definitely feel the joints in my feet when I get up at night now, so I'm thinking (hoping!) that will mean I'll notice issues with foods. I'd like to know I'm not eating any trigger foods before I quit taking the medicine.

2/ Will this start a Lupus flare? I've only had one super-scary Lupus flare, and I don't want to go there again!!!

3/ Will I starve and/or go broke eating only butternut squash?! lol
Jamie
jamietwo

Re: J's new elimination diet

Postby jamietwo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:41 pm

I finally found one 12 oz bag of frozen butternut squash at Sprouts, but it was EXPENSIVE! They actually had their store-brand veggies on sale 2 for $4, but of course it was only "select varieties", which did not include the squash! So I bought 4 whole medium sized butternut squash.

Last night, I cooked two of them in my instant pot. I had to cut them in half and sit each one on end and the 4 halves just fit.

This morning I ate one of the squash "necks" for breakfast.
I had 3 of the squash "bowls" for lunch.

We'll see how I long I last before I need a squash snack. :lol:

The good news is, I saw that Aldi has butternut squash on sale this week for $.69/lb, so I may have to go buy a few. :nod:

(I'm hungry already! lol)
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:11 pm

69-cents/pound is a good price for butternut. Tis the season. Price might not go lower than that. Unless your home is very hot, whole squash should be okay stored in your kitchen. I live in Phoenix, and with the A/C our average indoor temp runs around 77 or 78. Maybe a few degrees lower in the winter. I've kept butternut on the counter several weeks without a problem.

Frozen cubed butternut is very expensive. I think a bag was $3 or $4 last I checked. I think it was a 12-oz bag. Just crazy, that price. Even whole butternut squash at $2/pound would be cheaper methinks.

Good luck with your elimination diet.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby jamietwo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks AlwaysAgnes. I bought two more whole squash tonight (6lb for $4.50 - not bad!). I didn't stock up because I think I might be starting to react to it. :( I'm having a late dinner now (butternut squash, of course! :D ), and I've already cooked enough to eat tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:30 am

This may be the shortest lived elimination diet ever. I've discovered that I don't really like butternut squash. I forced a little down this morning, but I am so hungry I feel almost sick (which is odd because I've done a water fast for this length of time and didn't feel this way .... unless the squash is the culprit).

SO, I am cooking some rice to eat, and then I will decide if I am going to continue or re-evaluate. :roll:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am

jamietwo wrote:This may be the shortest lived elimination diet ever. I've discovered that I don't really like butternut squash. I forced a little down this morning, but I am so hungry I feel almost sick (which is odd because I've done a water fast for this length of time and didn't feel this way .... unless the squash is the culprit).

SO, I am cooking some rice to eat, and then I will decide if I am going to continue or re-evaluate. :roll:

You probably lasted longer than I would have on a one-food diet.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby jamietwo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:40 am

Its not over yet! :D

I regrouped after forcing down that little bit of butternut squash yesterday morning (and feeling SICK!), and I've eaten only brown rice for the last 24+ hours! So far so good. It is one of my staple foods, so I hope it isn't a trigger food! If I don't have any reactions with the rice, I'll probably add in kale in a few days (brown rice and kale is one of my staple meals!). :nod: I hope this works!!
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Idgie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:47 pm

Excellent! I think the key to a good elimination diet is to start with something you actually like eating. For me, it would be sweet potatoes.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby jamietwo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks Idgie! I love sweet potatoes too! But I was worried that maybe the brown rice or sweet potatoes may have been an issue, so I thought I'd start with another supposed-to-be-not-very-reactive food! Keeping my fingers crossed that the rice will work out! :D
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Good luck Jamie! Just curious: how much rice are you consuming in a day? Also, what kind?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Idgie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Good plan, Jamie!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby jamietwo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Good luck Jamie! Just curious: how much rice are you consuming in a day? Also, what kind?

Thanks Lyndzie!

I'm using Lundberg organic short grain brown rice. I'm eating a LOT right now since its the only thing I'm eating! Yesterday morning I cooked 2 cups dry, ate it throughout the day, and cooked 2 more cups dry last night and started on it. Finished that this afternoon, and then cooked 4 cups dry. I've probably had two bowls out of that, and it should get me through tomorrow. So that's 8 cups of dry rice in 3 days? Not only am I not cooking it like pasta, I'm cooking it in my instant pot (4 cups rice to 5 cups water). :eek:

Assuming I do well with the rice, I'm thinking the first 2 foods I'll test will be kale and sweet potatoes. :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:31 pm

48 + hours on rice! Still going strong! I'm hopeful! :nod:
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:45 pm

jamietwo wrote:48 + hours on rice! Still going strong! I'm hopeful! :nod:

That's great! :) Does that mean no symptoms?
I have a lot of food sensitivities & health issues that cause/contribute to them also. I did a few elimination diets this past year, got some good info out of it but might do another starting with rice also.
Wishing you health & happiness Jamie! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:10 pm

I love that rice. Cooks up great in the ipot. Are you going to try other type of rice? If that starch works for you, that’s awesome, there are so many options.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals