Mark's MWL Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mark's MWL Journal

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am

moonlight wrote:It’s amazing how you’ve managed to figure out what your body needs. You are lucky it responds so quickly, and that you are paying attention. I hope you continue to improve.

Thanks, moonlight! It sure would be nice to be pain free, but I do feel grateful that the pain is at least relatively manageable if I stick to my "best practices."
Mark Cooper

25 May 2019

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm

It turned out to be a pretty good week for pain management, my pain levels settled down to normal once I got back to my normal exercise routine. I had a pretty great week overall, as usual stuck to the 10-pt MWL checklist (with the addition of 1 Tbsp flaxseed / day). I'm feeling pretty great again, so I seem to have finally recovered from whatever cold virus oozed its way through my family.
Mark Cooper

2 June 2019

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:32 pm

This was another pretty good week for pain management - mostly mild days. I spent quite a few hours standing today, which resulted in a bit of a pain flare-up (probably from a somewhat stressful situation, in combination with the standing) - it did settle down fairly well once I was home and could get my shoes off. I'm pretty much on MWL autopilot for eating - lately I've been trying to decide whether I ought to try an elimination diet. I'm don't have much of an intuition whether it would be beneficial or not, given that my CRPS is more of a nervous system malfunction. I would be up for trying it, but it might be somewhat challenging since I also cook for my wife and daughter. I'm still trying to make up my mind.
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:47 pm

My pain management has been going pretty well, overall. I had a float therapy session today that definitely helped to moderate my pain - not a cure for my CRPS and it didn't make the pain disappear, but it definitely reduced severity for the rest of the day. I'm headed to TX a week from tomorrow and we'll be visiting my mom for a week. I'm going to try the elimination diet for that week, it should radically simplify food for the trip, and hopefully start to reveal possible pain triggers. I'm hopeful that sweet potatoes will still be palatable at the end of the week! :lol:

Otherwise, I've been continuing to follow the 10pt MWL checklist - I can't see any reason why I won't just eat this way for the long haul, other than potentially eliminating any trigger foods from my list of staples.
Mark Cooper

Postby Jocewally » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 am

Thank you so much for keeping this journal. I'm in the January 2020 MWL group and Jeff Novick recommended that we check out your journal to see what 10 point list compliance looked like. It was so helpful, especially the food pics. I know that had to have taken a lot of time each day, but it was helpful to see what you meant by your recipes, your serving sizes, your non compliant episodes, etc.

So thank you for taking the time to do that. I really benefited!
Jocewally

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 am

Jocewally wrote:Thank you so much for keeping this journal. I'm in the January 2020 MWL group and Jeff Novick recommended that we check out your journal to see what 10 point list compliance looked like. It was so helpful, especially the food pics. I know that had to have taken a lot of time each day, but it was helpful to see what you meant by your recipes, your serving sizes, your non compliant episodes, etc.

So thank you for taking the time to do that. I really benefited!

Hi, and thank you for sharing that. Reading your comment, I feel really gratified; I'm so glad you found the journal to be helpful. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby squealcat » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Mark: I just read a few of your last entries. I remember a while back you had a lot of pain issues and maybe you mentioned what was the cause but I don't remember that. I have a friend who, after surgery on her foot, suffers with CRPS. I had never heard of this diagnosis before. She suffers daily and has a blog where she writes about it. She has gone from not being able to put on a sock to finally being able to exercise a bit (although slowly). I know there are treatments but no promises. I applaud your persistence in finding what works for you. I will go back and read a little more. My little bit of knee pain and other aches are nothing in comparison with what the pain from CRPS is.

Thank you for all you help with the MWL group and your kind and encouraging responses.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words, Marilyn. CRPS has definitely been a real challenge for me, but I try to do the best I can everyday. I do realize I'm much more functional than many who suffer with this illness, and I'm pretty convinced that the anti-inflammatory nature of this WOE is primary reason. My heart goes out to your friend, it's great that she has regained some mobility!
Mark Cooper

Postby Jaap Amesz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:41 am

Hi Mark,

Are you still keeping the weight off?

Kind regards,

Jaap Amesz
Jaap Amesz

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:33 am

Jaap Amesz wrote:Hi Mark,

Are you still keeping the weight off?

Kind regards,

Jaap Amesz

Yes, indeed. I'm still adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist while in "maintenance mode." I have been maintaining my weight loss (actually very, very gradually losing some more weight while in "maintenance").
Mark Cooper

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals