Mark's MWL Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mark's MWL Journal

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:45 am

I'm going to start doing a daily MWL checklist and journaling my thoughts / how I'm feeling, since my weight loss has been stalled and I'm dealing with some challenges. I plan on updating at the end of each day to keep myself on track.
Mark Cooper

18 August 2018 Check-in

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:47 am

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
  2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. :thumbsup:
    Choose fruit for desert. :thumbsup:
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
  4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
  6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
  7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
  8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Exercise: 30 minutes HIIT on stationary bike, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions, Scapular Shrugs, Bridges, Crunches, Physical Therapy Exercises X 3, Wall Handstands and Hollow Holds throughout the day.

Concentrated today on not eating my first meal until I was DEFINITELY hungry, eating slowly, chewing thoroughly and stopping as soon as I was satiated. I'm feeling quite a bit better, although my pain level at the end of the day is still pretty high.
Mark Cooper

19 August 2018 Check-in

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:10 pm

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. :thumbsup:
  3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
  5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :arrow: Spiked "Sour Cream" has tofu as ingredient.
  7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
  8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Exercise: PT exercises X 3, 30 minutes HIIT on stationary bike, leg curls, leg extensions, scapular rows. Hollow holds, bridges, crunches, wall handstands throughout the day. Grocery shopping and a lot of cooking.

A little bit more hungry today, but still feeling full and satiated after my second meal. I feel like today was a success, especially considering how nervous I am about my doctor's appointment tomorrow.
Mark Cooper

20 August 2018 Check-in

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:

Exercise: 60 minutes vigorous calisthenics, PT exercises X 3.

3 meals today, I feel like I did a pretty good job of gauging when to stop eating - I was satiated after each meal and I'm definitely full at the end of the day, but not uncomfortably so. I had fruit at each meal, so 3 servings instead of 2, but otherwise right on track. My medical situation is still up in the air, but hopefully I'll know more soon.
Mark Cooper

21 August 2018 Check-in

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:40 pm

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :arrow: Tofu in “sour cream,” soy milk
  7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :arrow: Apple butter
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :arrow: Uncomfortably full, so probably ate too much.

Exercise: 30 minutes vigorous HIIT on exercise bike, PT exercises X 3, handstands and hollow holds throughout the day, 60 minute session with physical therapist.

I was very hungry today, and added in some extra food, but ended up somewhat overfull at the end of the day, so probably went too far in that direction.
Mark Cooper

22 August 2018 Check-in

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:02 pm

Exercise: 60 minutes vigorous calisthenics, PT exercises X 3, handstands and hollow holds throughout the day.

Today was great, I ate when hungry, stopped when satiated and kept fruit to a pretty reasonable amount. We went to a block party at Princeton University and there was a food truck with banana nice cream, so I decided to treat myself - it was delicious!
Mark Cooper

23 August 2018 Check-In

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Exercise: 30 minutes vigorous HIIT on exercise bike, PT exercises X 3, handstands and hollow holds throughout the day, 1 hour session with physical therapist.

Today's meals went really well, I ate when I was hungry, stopped when I was satiated, and didn't eat again until I was hungry again. I feel like my appetite may be lessening a bit, as it seems I'm eating somewhat less each day. Pain today was actually pretty manageable, so that may have helped, too.
Mark Cooper

24 August 2018 Check-In

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:32 pm

Exercise: PT Exercises X 3, 60 minutes vigorous calisthenics. Hollow holds, Handstands, Bridges, Crunches throughout the day.

Felt like another smooth day - eating when hungry, stopping when satiated. The 10pt MWL checklist definitely works when one follows it strictly.
Mark Cooper

Re: Mark's MWL Journal

Postby Idgie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Wow, you're on fire! Way to go!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Re: Mark's MWL Journal

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Thanks so much, Idgie! Kudos to you, as well!
Mark Cooper

25 August 2018 Check-In

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Exercise: PT Exercises X 3, 30 minutes vigorous HIIT on exercise bike. Hollow holds, Handstands, Bridges, Crunches throughout the day.

Another great day. I feel like I'm really getting into a good groove again and may have finally gotten past the "cramming." I've found it has been useful to just try to think of non-MWL compliant things as "not food." It's the way I feel about meat having not eaten it for 15+ years - that is not something that I eat, so applying that same mindset to foods I want to avoid seems to help.
Mark Cooper

26 August 2018 Check-In

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:25 pm

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup: Pasta in Spinach Artichoke Wonderpot

Exercise: PT Exercises X 3, 30 minutes vigorous HIIT on exercise bike. Hollow holds, Handstands, Bridges, Crunches throughout the day.

Today was another good one. My final meal for the day did include whole wheat pasta, but I diluted it more than 50/50 with non-starchy vegetables, so I'm considering that a successful meal. I was somewhat confused - It has been confirmed to me that whole wheat pasta, after being cooked in water, is similar in calorie density to brown rice - I have amended my entry for today, and LEARNED something, so big success! :D
Mark Cooper

27 August 2018 Check-In

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Exercise: PT Exercises X 3, 60 minutes vigorous Calisthenics. Hollow holds, Handstands, Bridges, Crunches throughout the day.

Went a little overboard on fruit today - I probably should have had a starch-centered afternoon meal, but I initially only thought I was hungry enough for a snack, but then I ate 3 bananas and an apple. Otherwise, a solid day.
Mark Cooper

28 August 2018 Check-In

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Exercise: PT Exercises X 3, 30 minutes vigorous HIIT on exercise bike. Hollow holds, Handstands, Bridges, Crunches throughout the day, 1 hour session with physical therapist.

:D
Mark Cooper

29 August 2018 Check-In

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Exercise: PT Exercises X 3, 60 minutes vigorous Calisthenics. Hollow holds, Handstands, Bridges, Crunches throughout the day.

Solid day, but maybe a little bit over full after the last meal - probably didn't need to have fruit for dessert. :)
Mark Cooper

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals