My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Tue May 12, 2020 1:15 pm

Breakfast: quinoa/steel cut oats mix, banana, splash of almond milk
Lunch: veg soup, brussel sprouts, brown rice and some beans followed by a cup of tea
Dinner: I know it will involve mashed potatoes and broccoli with maybe a cheeze sauce (made with cauliflower), and probably an orange

exercise: I walked 3 miles today and remembered to stretch afterwards. YAY!

Today was grocery store day. My chance to get out of the house. Not many people there at 7am and that is fine with me ! Got it all done quickly and home before my husband woke up. Of course all the hauling in and putting away was done and then he came downstairs. :lol:

After lunch I really wanted an orange. My mind was on that and it was hard to shake. I like to have my second fruit after dinner so I put it off realizing that it was calling me and I was starting to think things like "it won't hurt to have 3 fruits today" or "I can skip the fruit after dinner and it will be ok". All of that is true but I am afraid that going along with these thoughts will lead to other self talks and I want to avoid those. So....I fixed myself a cup of herbal tea and came here to my computer to type this in. Now I :) feel better.

I bought a celery root today while shopping. Never have used one before. I looked up recipes when I got home and I will have to pick up a couple more veggies and then make soup. It is an ugly vegetable but people have a lot of good to say about it. I will see. Vegan Under Pressure cookbook has a recipe that sounds good so I will make it this week. Trying to get soup in before my lunch or dinner.

Really not much else to report. Today I am continuing to: Walk daily, track what I eat, survive and enjoy my afternoon without eating everything in the house (I put a star on my calendar for that one ;-) )

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed May 13, 2020 2:44 pm

breakfast: Steel cut oats/quinoa mix with a splash of almond milk. I had a Cara Cara orange before the oats
Lunch: Large salad with balsamic vinegar, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts and my cheeze sauce
Dinner: Asparagus, broccoli, rice, vegetable soup and maybe more mashed potatoes

exercise: Walked 3 miles today in the sunny, cool weather !

Today I am tracking what I eat, I walked, I (so far) made it through the afternoon without careless munching. Win, Win, Win !

I took a nice drive today to pick up some scrapbook materials from someone's porch. This year's project is to document my family history using the old pictures I have of grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great grandparents. I also have a lot of pictures from my past and some from my husband's. Trying to organize it all and put it in books creatively to pass on to my children.

No other thoughts today. Enjoy the day !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby moonlight » Thu May 14, 2020 5:48 am

squealcat wrote:I took a nice drive today to pick up some scrapbook materials from someone's porch. This year's project is to document my family history using the old pictures I have of grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great grandparents. I also have a lot of pictures from my past and some from my husband's. Trying to organize it all and put it in books creatively to pass on to my children.

No other thoughts today. Enjoy the day !

-squealcat

I love this! Good luck! I'm sure your children will appreciate it. :)
moonlight

Postby squealcat » Thu May 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Breakfast: steel cut oats/quinoa mix, Cara Cara orange, splash of almond milk
Lunch: large salad, balsamic for dressing, my hummus, mashed potatoes, black bean soup
Mid afternoon: cooked beans and a couple of sm yellow potatoes
Dinner: steamed broccoli, veg soup, potatoes

Exercise: a one mile walk when it was not raining (glad I got that in !)

Just got finished with a white root vegetable blended soup. I was concerned about it tasting good but I found celery root at the grocery store and wanted to try it. WELL !!! That soup is so delicious ! It has the celery root, parsnips, Japanese sweet potato, supposed to have kohlrabi but i couldn't find it so used a turnip instead. You can top it with onions cooked separately on the stove with a touch of maple syrup added and black pepper. I just tasted it and it doesn't need salt, doesn't need the syrup ( or maybe just a drop or two ). It blends up very creamy and delicious. Oh, it has almond milk too. It makes a huge amount and I will have no problem having all of it this week ! If you have Jill Nussinow's "Vegan Under Pressure", the recipe is in there. There is a bit of chopping to do but when you are in the mood, it is worth it. It is a sweet soup because of the sweet potato. I am following MWL but that cup of low calorie almond milk and teaspoon of maple syrup in the whole recipe doesn't bother me. Now that I have tasted it, i will leave the syrup out next time.

Made a trip to the health food store today. Got buckwheat groats to try soon and stocked up on other things I was almost out of. Got some veggies there and my favorite Japanese sweet potatoes. Besides Trader Joe's, that is the only place that I know of that has them.

Tomorrow is weigh in day and I think I have lost this week. My pants fit so much better....things were getting tight ! I can't let that happen and now I just want to get down to a good weight for me. I have plateaued for more than a year and I am ready to move forward.

Today I tracked all my food, got out for a walk, made it through the afternoon without mindless eating ! Three out of three !!

That is it for today. Stay healthy !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri May 15, 2020 3:41 pm

I cannot put a star on my calendar today as I didn't get through the afternoon without mindless eating. I DID mindlessly eat this afternoon. I just jotted down all I ate. I wish I had wrote it down as I ate, maybe I would have stopped sooner. Tomorrow is a new day. Wish I knew why I did that. The only thing I can figure is that I pretty much had run out of foods to eat and fix quickly. I am in better shape now. Just need to cook up some beans or lentils.

Exercise: walked 3 miles today and did my stretches too !

Cooking: made up 3 batches of fat free hummus, a large bowl of mashed potatoes too. Also chopped up cucumbers and red peppers for my salad bar.

So today I tracked all I ate and walked. I messed up on the mindless eating but will start a new streak of that tomorrow.

Enjoy the beauty of today !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat May 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Breakfast: Orange, steel cut oats and quinoa mix with a splash of almond milk
Lunch: Salad, balsamic vinegar for dressing and my hummus, pasta, asparagus, swiss chard then later a potato with mustard
Dinner: white root soup, swiss chard, asparagus, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, apple

No mindless eating today ! Starting that streak over again today after being mindless yesterday. I didn't let it throw me

exercise: walked 3 miles and then did some stretches (tomorrow it is supposed to rain much of the day so I hope to get in at least 1 mile tomorrow)

Not much else going on. Feeling pretty good today, mood is good. Starting my grocery list for Tuesday morning. Did some scrapbooking today and reading. Cooked some soaked beans in my crockpot. Tomorrow I will bake some Japanese sweet potatoes and maybe the Jersey Sweets too to enjoy during the next week.

Hope your day went well, if not, turn it around !

_squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Breakfast: Oatmeal and chopped apple
Lunch: Large salad, balsamic vinegar, potatoes, beans, white root veg soup
snack: 1/2 banana
Dinner: Bean burrito (no cheese, no chips, no guac) , banana

Exercise: no walk today. I dressed up to go out but it has rained pretty hard all day so no, didn't go out today. First time in probably about 2 months.

Nice , calm day today. Nothing new. Watched Catholic mass on TV with my husband in the morning. Worked a little on a scrapbook page and then got caught up reading part of a journal that my mother wrote. She died about 5 years ago. I miss her every day. Her writing showed how much she loved her family, loved my dad and how happy she was to get a phone call or visit from one of us. Not one time did she write anything negative about any of us.

Made me sad to read about how many times she tried to lose weight. Many entries of her weight gains, her eating failures etc. I don't want to get older thinking about diets, weighing in, weight loss.... I know she doesn't want that for me either.

Lately I have been concentrating on just eating like I want to for health and happiness for the rest of my life. I just want to eat good food that fills me with good things. I want to enjoy my food as I believe we were meant to enjoy what we eat. That is why I am journaling here. That is why I eat according to Dr McDougall's plan. I like the food, I don't suffer. I may stray once in a while but it is so much easier to just have what is good for me to eat during the next meal.

Looking forward to a good week ! It is supposed to rain again tomorrow so I hope there will be a break so I can get out for my walk. A few sprinkles would be fine....I have a jacket with a hood and an umbrella.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon May 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Breakfast: Oatmeal, apple
Lunch: Large salad, my hummus, balsamic vinegar, white root veg. soup
Dinner: asparagus, cauliflower, mashed potatoes, corn, half of a sweet potato, banana, PB2, a WW chocolate bar

Exercise: walked 3 miles

Success today : walked, tracked all I ate, no mindless eating this afternoon YAY !!

Another calm day here in Michigan. Was glad the rain stopped for a while so I could get my walking in. I did a face time visit with my 7 year old granddaughter today and I can't believe how good it made me feel ! I was worried that we wouldn't have much to talk about but she just took charge and said, " Grandma, lets do some drawing together ! I know, lets draw the planets ! " So that is what we did. Just like we do when she comes over here. We both like to draw and read. She read me a story too and showed me her room etc. It was so fun ! We want to do it again next week. Hope it works out ! Small things can give great joy...

My eating was much better today with no mindless eating. I DID have a WW chocolate bar but stopped at that. I don't have one often. I didn't start eating other things. I am having a glass of sparkling water now. Done eating for the day.

Find some joy in the next 24 hours! Call someone you care about !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ejeff » Tue May 19, 2020 6:23 am

Squealcat,

I just found some joy reading your post about your granddaughter, it really made me smile. She sounds like such a lovely little girl and I like how she just took charge. Thanks for sharing!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby squealcat » Wed May 20, 2020 3:39 pm

I tried to post something yesterday but it froze up and didn't work. So now I jump into today.

Breakfast: Buckwheat groats hot cereal, blueberries, splash of almond milk
Lunch: Large salad, black beans, balsamic vinegar, my hummus, potatoes, rice and French lentil soup
Dinner: veg soup, black beans, potatoes, corn, steamed cauliflower
also had a shake this afternoon that was just almond milk, frozen bananas, cocoa and a little vanilla (I was tempted to eat something else that was more rich but this helped a lot)

Went to see my doctor today for a 6 month check up. Since I have a diagnosis of hypertension and diabetes and high cholesterol, I have to see him more than once a year. He didn't see the need to do blood work since everything looked good last time. My A1c was normal last fall and my BP is normal on the lowest dose of medication. No meds for diabetes for the last 2 years since I lost about 50 pounds and have kept it off. I would love to get off that last BP med (which has been lowered a couple of times already) but probably need to lose the last of those pounds (maybe 50 more). He is always happy to see me and once again said he wishes more of his patients did as well. Hopefully, my cholesterol numbers will be good in November too. They weren't bad last fall but there is room for improvement.

I daily decide to follow the MWL 10 point checklist and keep improving . I work on something every week. I try not to think about weight loss, just the 10 points. This keeps me from stressing.

Hope you all enjoyed your day today. It is a beauty today in Michigan ! Got my walk in (1.5 miles), tracked all my food and did not mindlessly eat this afternoon. YAY !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu May 21, 2020 4:52 pm

Breakfast: buckwheat groats hot cereal, blackberries, splash of almond milk
Lunch: large salad, balsamic vinegar, my hummus, potatoes
dinner: veg soup, French lentil stew, apple, steamed cauliflower

exercise: walked 3 miles, gardening for over an hour today

It felt so go to be outside today! First a walk and then working in our garden. Had to put fertilizer on our hydrangeas today and tomorrow around some of our fir trees (can't remember the name of them) and also under our rose bushes. I always have to push myself to do this but it sure feels good once I get out there a do it ! There is something about digging in the dirt and pulling weeds....it is cleansing ! I never did yard work until I retired. My husband cared for the lawn . Then we had landscaping done after we retired and that started something. It is so beautiful ! I always wanted peonies and now I see so many buds !! The lilies are coming up ! The birds are out ! After memorial day I will go and get some flowers for our flower boxes on the deck and for in the pots by our front porch. Gives me joy !

Today I cooked brown rice in the instant pot and made some Irish mashed potatoes. Yesterday made Korma for on the rice but I have to finish the French lentil stew before I dig into those things. So many things to try. I have to be careful not to overdue it.

Find your joy !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri May 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Breakfast: buckwheat hot cereal, blueberries, splash of almond milk
Lunch: Large salad, my hummus, balsamic vinegar, french lentil stew, small baked potato

Exercise: walked 3 miles today followed by some gardening

After lunch I started eating other things. Sweet things, fatty things, I will not list them. I DID write all of them down because I remembered that I want to track all I eat. Don't know why this happened except I wanted to try a slice of my husband's homemade bread. I have resisted for 2 days now and today I thought it wouldn't hurt. Well, it DID hurt ! OUCH !!

Now I resolve to continue on. I have lost weight the last two weeks and following the MWL 10 points has helped me a lot. I have to practice the 100% thing now.

Still, today I tracked all I ate and I exercised. I put a frown face on my calendar for not mindlessly eating in the afternoon because I WAS mindlessly eating. All better now. I probably won't be hungry for dinner. I may just have a bowl of veg soup.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Interesting thing .....I looked over at my calendar and studied it. I had a star on each day this month (for not mindlessly eating in the afternoon ) except for yesterday (a Friday) and last week FRIDAY ! What is it about Fridays that brings on the binge eating? Not really sure except maybe I relax too much after weighing in for the week and let off my guard and stop thinking... :duh:

Anyway:
breakfast: Rolled oats and blueberries
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic on top, brown rice and veg Korma over the top....still hungry (and thinking about bread) so I had a cold, cooked Japanese sweet potato. I was still a little hungry so had some of my prepared Irish potatoes (white potatoes and green cabbage mix). That did it. No crazy eating. I have a tea bag on the counter in the kitchen to remind me to have tea if tempted to eat when not hungry. I feel good about all this.

I have some little yellow potatoes cooking in my intant pot for those times when I am tempted.....eating those really helps me a lot too.

Dinner will probably be more Irish potatoes, some beans, asparagus and cauliflower. Probably an apple for dessert.
Hope you all are enjoying your weekend! :-D

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon May 25, 2020 1:17 pm

I thought that I journaled yesterday but apparently not !

Breakfast: steel cut oats with mango and a splash of almond milk
Lunch: large salad with lite dressing, veg korma and brown rice, apple
Dinner: mashed Irish potatoes , the rest of my veg soup, steamed cauliflower and maybe some steamed broccoli

exercise: walked 3 miles (earlier in the morning as it was getting hot) Going to have to get out the door right away when I wake up as the weather is seeming like summer all of a sudden !

We got take-out last night and I didn't do too well with my choices AND I ate too much ! I had been snacking during the afternoon as well. Don't know what that was all about. Anyway, I am fine now ! Today is another day and a good day. Getting some reading in today....almost done with another book. I also cleaned both bathrooms, washed the towels and am now washing some of our winter jackets for storage. I feel accomplished !

Cooked up some black lentils in my instant pot. I have had a bag in my pantry for a while and finally decided to cook a cup of them up today instead of beans. They taste pretty good ! Much firmer than other kinds so I can use them with most anything or by themself.

Enjoy your day ! do something to make you feel accomplished and then have a cup of herbal tea to celebrate !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue May 26, 2020 1:30 pm

Breakfast: Steel cut oats, blueberries, splash of almond milk. I had an orange earlier because I had to go grocery shopping and needed something after that and before my walk.
Lunch: large salad, lite dressing, banana, brown rice, veg korma
and then more.......not crazy but more than I needed. Once again, I do know know why. I just still felt hungry. I DID eat a couple of yellow potatoes with mustard to keep it at bay but I was not able to stop. But now I did write it all down and now feel better. It was not as bad as I thought. I am a work in progress....

Exercise: walked 2 miles Not as far as planned but by the time my grocery shopping was done it was too darn hot ! I am glad I got the two miles in !

Going to facetime with my granddaughter in a couple of minutes. I am not really in the mood but I deeply feel she (and maybe I) really need it. I bet I will feel better afterward ! I wonder what our drawing will be this week?

Have a good day ! Spend time with someone today in some form !

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals