My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:20 pm

Yes, Marsha. Do our best and keep the faith ! Thank you for your comment!

Exercise: none today. I watch my little one year old grandson on Thursdays. Not much exercise there as he is pretty much in bed all the time as he is special needs. I turn him, feed him through a tube, keep him busy with toys etc. I am glad I can help my daughter and her husband so they can get their work done.

Breakfast:
pear
oat groats
splash of almond milk

Lunch:
veggie soup
garbanzo beans
sweet potato

Dinner:
very large salad with lots of different veggies and sprouts
my hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing
mixed rice
chick peas
banana

Tomorrow is weigh-in day for the MWL group. This has been a good week and I am interested in any weight loss I have experienced. My goal is just to live and eat this way and let the weight find its way to where is should be. Still though I cannot lie that I would like a loss this week. Will see !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:55 pm

I am going to try something different starting tomorrow. I tend to eat the same thing every day with a few changes. To change things up I will post the 10 MWL points and my adherence to them each day for the rest of the week. If I don't like it, I will stop and do something else.

I lost 1.4 pounds this past week and I am pleased with that. I had one rough day and that was Sunday. That day has no plans and I like a little planning to my day. I posted on the MWL board that I needed to have some sort of routine for my Sundays. Maybe that will keep me from thinking about food! I like my Sunday mornings but I need to have something going on in the afternoon. Maybe just start with a one mile walk (I normally don't exercise on Sundays) and just an hour in my scrapbook room working on a project.....will see.

Exercise today: walked 3 miles outside (in the cold :eek: ) but it was not slippery and I am glad I went !

Breakfast:
oat groats
pear
broccoli sprouts

Lunch:
very large salad with broccoli and arugula sprouts over it
a dressing with my hummus and balsamic vinegar
Japanese sweet potato

Now, I kinda fell apart after this when I went to the health food store....bought a couple of luna bars or something like that and ate them on the way home. Yiiks ! Back came all those cravings !! I had a bowl of veggie soup at dinner time but can't say the rest was good. Tomorrow is another day ! Because of this, I am switching it up for the rest of the week. I need another focus.

I also need to make some more soup and another entrée. I will be finishing up my beans and rice tomorrow. I would like to be free from all these slip-ups for the rest of my life. maybe that is not reasonable. I will keep up doing what I am doing. My weight is coming off and my health is better....that is all good !
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:25 am

I am going to try this today and maybe for the week to see if it is helpful. I have been working on these points for a while now and want to make them my routines. I will fill this in later.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I was able to walk 3 miles outside today after waiting a bit for the sun to warm things up. It was 11 degrees this morning so when the temperature hit 22 degrees I headed out with lots of warm clothes and a scarf to partially cover my face. I was nice and warm by the time I got home !

Today went well for me but I confess to a few urges to get into foods I shouldn't. Knowing I was going to post this way today made me get through it and those urges went away pretty quickly.

I have mixed beans soaking over night tonight and will make my favorite bean soup from "Vegan Under Pressure" cookbook tomorrow. It is a different bean mix than I usually use so I hope I like it as well as before. I also need to think about a veg soup to make. I have some in the freezer so I have a couple days to decide what to do. Maybe just a "clean out the fridge" soup ?

Have a good evening and a great Sunday tomorrow. My goal is to keep busy tomorrow afternoon as Sunday afternoons are my tough time.

-squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:Today (Sunday) was another good day ! I did an experiment. Sundays are usually tough for me as there is no routine to my afternoon so my thoughts turn to food and what to eat that is exciting. I thought I would change things up this week so this morning was my usual Sunday morning drinking a couple of cups of decaf coffee (I don't drink coffee on other days) watching a program I really like and just relaxing. Then I put on my walking clothes and headed outside for a nice leisurely 2 mile walk. ( I don't usually exercise on Sundays either). After my walk I called a friend and we had a great one hour chat. (I don't usually call people either ). The rest of my day was reading, making bean soup.....and then it was later afternoon and I knew I was safe. No urges to eat rich food !!!! :unibrow: So if you see a pattern of crazy eating on a certain day or in a certain situation (boredom for instance ) maybe turn it around and just do one thing different. It might make a difference! Next week I will do something similar. There is a lady I met at church that I haven't seen since last March because of covid. I have wanted to call her and check up on her. I want to do that next week Sunday.

That is it for my day. I copied another MWL checklist for Monday so you will see another blank one following this post. That is for tomorrow.

-squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:49 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :-D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :-D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :-D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :arrow: I had a few oyster crackers this afternoon. Maybe 6?
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-)
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-)
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-)

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:Today is Monday and I did almost perfect except for a very few oyster crackers this afternoon. I stopped myself saying "what are you doing???" Glad I stopped before something else slipped in. I also had too may fruits (too much fruit?) I would have been fine except I made some nice cream with 2 bananas and some blueberries. That is not a daily thing by any means so I can do much better tomorrow.

I walked 3 miles outside and didn't feel like it at all. That rarely happens and I don't know why I wasn't into it today. Hope I feel better about my walking tomorrow. I will have to go to the gym tomorrow as it may be slippery. Anyway , I am pretty happy about this week so far. Some times I look at myself and think "I don't even feel like I am working at and worrying about weigh loss. I feel as if I am a (normal) person !" There are times when I am working non-stop chopping and cooking in the kitchen and I remember when I would have to take breaks because my back and legs hurt. There are times when I am cleaning the house and remember when I would have to stop and put my feet up because they hurt and I was tired (and I would fall asleep for an hour or so ). That doesn't happen now. I have energy ! I am thankful !

-squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:18 pm

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :-D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :-D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :arrow: I went a little overboard with dinner (veg soup, cauliflower, rice and bean soup. I thought about stopping halfway through my meal but didn't. I will stop next time :roll: .)
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:Another good day today. Cloudy and windy and cold this morning but got outside after grocery shopping and walked 1.5 miles. I was still not very enthusiastic about going out for that walk but I did it anyway.

I didn't cook anything today. There was no need. I am going to soak some spicy salad sprouts overnight tonight as I am out of sprouts. Tomorrow night I will soak some speckled peas to plant Friday or Saturday. Watching my sprouts and microgreens grow really is fun !

I don't know why, but I ate too much for dinner today. My bean soup tasted so delicious ! and pouring it over rice also makes it all taste good ! I should have stopped when I noticed I had had enough but I didn't. I will pay attention better next time.

Good evening to all !
-squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:36 pm

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :-D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :arrow: I tried one slice of the rye bread my husband made today. No butter or margarine, just the bread :nod:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :-D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :-D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:Another great day today ! I walked 3 miles outside. It was about 32 degrees and not too windy so that was good. I saw a lone turkey racing across the street. He or she had no buddies tagging along. Laundry was on the agenda today along with dusting and wiping areas in the house. I don't do everything; just what catches my eye. My daughter and granddaughter got tested for Covid yesterday and have no results as yet so I won't be going over to watch my little grandson tomorrow. My husband made a loaf of bread today and I chose to have a slice but I ate it dry. If I would put butter or any spread on it I know I would have more than one slice. Just this taste was good enough for me. I am happy with my decision. Not much else today. Hope everyone is doing well. Tomorrow is the last day before my weekly weight-in. I made veggie soup today in the crock pot. I am not a veggie soup fan but I like it more and more now. They say tastes change. I never used to be a salad person either (especially if it didn't have croutons and creamy dressing on it) but now I have a large salad every day ! If I can do it you can do it ! :unibrow:

-squealcat

PS: This is a post for Wednesday 1/13/21. I copy and paste each entry a day before so the date may not be correct.
Last edited by squealcat on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pm

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :arrow: Those darn saltines !
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :-D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I felt pretty hungry yesterday and today. I never know why that is.
I will have some days when I can go a long time without food and it doesn't bother me. I had a little "mind battle" while at Target today. Individually wrapped treats were around and oh boy ! :roll: they were calling me ! I thought again about how eating one would lead to wanting more and more and that out of control feeling and then that feeling of disappointment . I just didn't want all that so I passed by, paid for my purchases and left the store.

At home I was doing pretty well but then those darn crackers called me and I had maybe 8 or 10 then managed to stop. I have to push those things to the very back so I don't see them.

Weigh-in is tomorrow. I don't know what I will see on the scale but whatever it is I will be fine with it. My week went well, I love the food I am having and I can do this for years to come.

squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 am

Well done, leaving the butter off and eating just one slice of fresh baked bread. I love baking bread but because of butter, I don't do it very often. In fact, I doubt I'd be able to stop at one slice, even dry :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby squealcat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:19 pm

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :-D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:this is my report for Friday 1/15/21. Another great day today! I started by going to the gym and walking 3 miles. I started listening to a new book called "The Dutch House" and I think it will be a good one. Listening to a book while walking (especially at the gym) really helps to pass the time and after two weeks I feel so accomplished because I have "read" a book !

I lost 2 pounds this week !! Very happy with that loss but really happy that the last week went so well. Always room for improvement so I look ahead to the coming week and to making those 10 MWL points more a part of my life. Hope you have a great week !

squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:33 pm

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :crybaby:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :crybaby:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :crybaby:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:This post is for yesterday, Saturday 1/16/21. Most of the day went very well but as dinner time approach all those rich food thoughts started entering my brain. This shows me that even though a whole week as gone by and I have eaten perfectly according to MWL, it will not always be perfect....I am not perfect. Crackers, bread, margarine....granola too. Thank goodness for my habit tracker (checklist) that I fill in after every meal. Most of the day was checkmarks for the good and just a few --- marks for the not so good. I also have written at the top of the page "Be like a turtle"" which to me means just look ahead right in front of me , don't look far ahead because I can't see that far. Just keep on going.
I have been thinking too far ahead and plotting how much I would weigh each month in the future. I just cannot do that. My real goal is to just keep going forward and follow the 10 MWL points. Health will certainly follow and weight loss along with it.

Today I am cooking up garbanzo beans to make another batch of hummus and I plan to make potato soup. My bean soup was nearing a week in the fridge so I popped it in the freezer. I needed a break from it anyway. Never made potato soup before so we will see.
I also need to make up some veggie soup so probably that will go in the crockpot tomorrow. This is not my favorite so I am not excited about it. I do it anyway.

Today is my Sunday Experiment day. My tough day. This afternoon I will try to call a friend I haven't talked to in a while. We met at church and she hasn't been there since March of last year. I want to check up on her. Hope I can talk to her today.

squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:15 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :cry:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :cry:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :cry:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :cry:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :cry:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :cry:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :cry:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :cry:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :cry:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:This post is for Sunday 1/17/21 which was yesterday. I got through a lot of the day really well . I don't know really what happened but maybe I was sick of the food I had prepared?? Don't really know. Breakfast was fine. I made potato soup yesterday and after that I was too tired of chopping veggies to make my usual salad for lunch so I skipped it. Not a good idea at all !! I finished up my cooked potatoes for lunch and had salsa and my hummus on top.I was too full for any veggies. Later in the afternoon my mind started thinking about richer food and then it all fell apart. We ordered out for dinner too and I thought "I just want something I haven't had in a long time. I then ordered something I missed having and thus you see all the :cry: :cry: :cry: .

Today I begin my day as usual. My usual oatmeal for breakfast and then will walk at the gym. Salad for lunch followed by sweet potato. Dinner will be veggie soup, then potato soup and steamed veggies. That's the plan ! I just move forward !

squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:01 am

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :cry:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :cry:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :cry:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :cry:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :cry:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :cry:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :cry:

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:This is for Monday 1/18/21 which was yesterday. I continued to have a tough time. This shows that eating off plan and eating rich food totally makes one (me) swerve completely off the road and into the swamp. I did some reading last night to give me some more tips as to how to make this end right now. When I went to bed last night i was bloated and uncomfortable. I didn't feel well mentally either. Today (Tuesday) is a new day.

I am going to post what I eat once again for each day and continue this for a while. Not doing it was so freeing but alas, I must continue for a while to get myself out of this pit I have dug. I also will pause for 10 minutes when getting an urge to eat rich foods and during that pause I will do some drawing or scrapbooking ....something that is not food related. I will keep trying.

squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Something has happened to a couple of my posts ! Hmmmmmm...?? I really think I posted them right and even saw the last one after I pushed the submit button.... I will try again today.

Exercise: 3 mile walk and stretches

Breakfast: started with a banana before exercise
steel cut oats
cauliflower

Lunch:
large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing
large Japanese sweet potato

Dinner:
veggie soup
coleslaw that I made
lentils
mashed potatoes
banana

I gained 1.6 pounds and I am not surprised because of the way my week went for me. I am happy that it wasn't more. The last two days went very well and I am feeling good both physically and emotionally. I push onward to the week ahead and look forward to a good weigh-in next week Friday.

PS: hope this post doesn't disappear. I will check after I push the submit button once more.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:26 pm

Exercise: Walked outside for 3 miles. 22 degrees but sunny ! It was 11 degrees out when I first looked this morning so I waited for it to warm up a bit before taking off.

Breakfast:
steel cut oats
pear

Lunch:
very large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar as dressing
part of a very large sweet potato. I couldn't finish it so maybe will have it tomorrow.

Dinner:
veggie soup
mashed potatoes
lentils
coleslaw for crunch
orange

Good day today. Rich food was not calling me as much today and I kept busy with some housework and some scrapbooking. As I walk in the morning I listen to a book using an app from the public library. The book I am currently listening to is The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. I am really enjoying it . Listening to books is a good way to pass the time while walking. Sometimes I listen to a You Tube talk by Doug Lisle or someone like that or a Rich Roll podcast. I have to change it up.

Tomorrow is Sunday and time for my Sunday experiment. Sundays are my tough days because I don't (or didn't) have a routine for that day. The last two weeks I have continued my lazy Sunday morning watching TV, drinking decaf coffee and reading. I then phone someone that I haven't talked to in a long time. Last week a friend didn't answer so I will try again tomorrow. After my attempt to call Geri I got a phone call from another friend so that worked well ! I may take a short slower walk and then do some work on that scrapbook for my grandson. Almost finished with that. Having a Sunday plan seems to be working.

Not much else to "talk" about. hope you all are having a good week.

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals