My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:35 am

No specific exercise today. I take Sundays off. ;-)

Breakfast: (11 AM)
broccoli
steel cut oats
splash of almond milk
pear

I am still in my "jammies" . I enjoy having a lazy Sunday but really, I do some cooking on this day. Today's cooking will be pinto beans and then mashed potatoes cooked in my instant pot. I also have cauliflower and broccoli that I haven't cleaned and prepped yet so will do that today as well. I also like to do my zentangle drawing every day and reading. My speckled pea microgreens are doing well so maybe water them today too. I want to see how tall they grow this week. They are about 4 inches tall this morning. Along with all that, I have some cards to make as well. All my adhesive, paper, envelopes are piled on a chair in the dining room. I need to get those done to clean things up a bit !

I will return to type in my lunch and dinner. :nod:

Lunch: (3 PM)
large salad topped with my hummus and balsamic vinegar
2 small yellow potatoes
one small sweet potato
orange

Dinner: (8:15 pm)
2 cups of veggie soup
rice (brown, black mix )
pinto beans
I guess I was hungry and went back for seconds !
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:18 am

Exercise: 3 mile walk , stretches and some resistance exercises

Breakfast: 10:50 am
cauliflower, steamed
steel cut oats
broccoli sprouts
pear

Oh, I had an apple before my walk as I was hungry

More later. Thinking about making a SW salad with romaine, rice, beans, salsa, corn etc. I saw that someone on Facebook was making that and it sounded good. I will have to get some romaine tomorrow on my grocery day. I have all the rest.

Lunch: (3:45pm)
Very large salad
my hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing
1 medium sweet potato
pear

I ate the sweet potato cold (which I do frequently) and since my husband was busy making soup and baking bread in the kitchen I stayed out of his way and ate the pear as I was still hungry after eating the potato. He was using a smoked ham hock for his soup. Looking at that meat was bothering me. I could picture that poor pig..... This never bothered me until I was eating plants for a year or so. Now it makes me sad . Leaving the kitchen was the thing to do today. He soup (bean soup) smelled very good but I like mine just as well (better because it uses no animals :nod: )

Dinner:(7pm)
veggie soup
broccoli
pinto beans
mashed potatoes
corn
apple

After dinner my husband wanted me to try the whole wheat bread he made. I ate a piece thinking I didn't want to hurt his feelings. In reality, I love bread and wanted to try it. Boooo ! Now I wish I hadn't done that !

I hope you all (whoever reads this) are having a good after Christmas week. I am doing so much better despite the bread I just ate. Onward !

-squealcat
Last edited by squealcat on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:59 pm

squealcat wrote:This never bothered me until I was eating plants for a year or so. Now it makes me sad .

Same here! I can't even go near the meat aisle in the store. Most animals are factory farmed and so mistreated.

Happy New Year, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:50 am

I could picture that poor pig..... This never bothered me until I was eating plants for a year or so. Now it makes me sad .

I just can't anymore. Somehow, the image of the living, breathing animal is attached to meat. And the brutality of their lives and deaths. :(
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby squealcat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 am

I have been fighting off urges to eat rich foods again. It hit me while shopping for groceries this morning when I was in the bakery isle. I kept hearing this voice inside me trying to get me to buy a sweet treat but I knew it would lead to a whole day of fighting back stronger urges to make toast or eat peanut butter or.....(whatever). I did not want to fight off urges all day so I passed on the sweets and checked out my groceries. No stops at Starbucks, no grabbing candy bars, just NO ! I decided to be curious as to how long this urge lasted and I focused on that. I would say 40 minutes or so was all. Feeling free from all that is what I want. Focusing on my breakfast helped too. I LOVE the food that I eat right now !

exercise: non yet ! Going outside in a couple of minutes after my breakfast settles a bit. Two miles for sure but maybe 3. I also will so some resistance exercises. (I actually walked 3 miles and did some core exercises )

Breakfast: (10:30)
broccoli
steel cut oats
pear (they have been so good this year !)

Lunch: (3:30pm)
large salad
my hummus and balsamic vinegar as dressing
mashed potatoes
mushrooms
corn
orange

Dinner: 6:45 pm
veggie soup
a Southwest salad made with: brown rice, corn, pinto beans, tomato, romaine lettuce and salsa. Oh goodness ! Why have I not tried this before??? No oily dressing needed just salsa. I warmed up all but the lettuce, tomato and salsa. I would have added onion but I was too lazy to chop it up. I will repeat this until I run out of ingredients.
also had an apple

Good day today. So glad I resisted my urge to eat rich food earlier. 40 minutes of discomfort this morning and now I feel great and so happy with today !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Marla » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 am

I love your decision to get curious about how long it would take for the urge to pass. What a great strategy, and you had a successful day that you felt good about as a result! I can relate to how giving in to those urges only leads to stronger urges. Resistance is the better path for sure, and ultimately easier.

Your Southwest salad sounds really good and simple. Yum!
Marla

Postby squealcat » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:26 am

We got 3-4 inches of snow overnight so out to the gym I went this morning !

exercise: 3 mile walk and some resistance exercises and stretches

Breakfast: (11am)
broccoli
old fashioned oats with tumeric, pepper and a little salt over it
orange

I never thought I would grow to like savory oats but something happened ! Oats with a little salt and pepper on it and some chopped broccoli is delicious ! I figured I would add tumeric powder too as it is so healthy !

Lunch: (3:30pm)
large salad
my hummus and balsamic vinegar as dressing
Japanese sweet potato
still hungry so had a small yellow potato with mustard

4:45pm: started to get a craving....held on for a bit and had another yellow potato with mustard. then had saltine crackers and some granola and then thought it through and stopped myself. Usually I would have a lot of other things but came right here to journal. I will probably have a small dinner (mostly veg soup) around 7PM.

Dinner: (7pm)
veggie soup
small Southwest salad
apple

That's it for today. Wish I hadn't given in to that craving. When it happens again I will note the time and how long before that urge goes away. Glad I stopped when I did.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:54 pm

Last entry for 2020 !

Exercise: 3 mile walk at the gym and then some back and arm exercises at home

Breakfast: ( 11:30)
cauliflower
steel cut oats with tumeric, pepper and a splash of almond milk
blueberries
cup of macha tea

Lunch: ( 3pm)
Large salad with balsamic vinegar and my hummus as dressing
mashed potatoes
orange

Dinner: ( 7pm)
veggie soup
South West salad: rice, corn, beans, romaine, tomato, salsa
apple

no cravings today, all went well. I kept busy and also did some quiet things like read and draw zentangle art and make cards. I was going to clean out my purse but there is always tomorrow !

It is New Year's Eve ! Sorry, I will not stay up to "ring" it in. We go to church tomorrow and I like to get up early enough so I don't have to rush. Weigh in is tomorrow too. The last few days have gone well so will see what the scale has to say about it. The first of the week was not as good but it is all in the past now. I just keep on going and look straight ahead (but not too far !) just like a turtle. I will get there soon enough !

squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:20 am

The scale basically stayed the same from a week ago. According to the scale I gained 0.1 pound. That is ok with me. I had 3 days that were not so good and I am sure I gained after those. I try hard not to think about my weight just about following the MWL 10 points and being healthy. I had some thoughts about urges and the cram circuit and typed them in the January MWL forum if you want to read.

Exercise: no walk today. I usually take Thursdays off but walked yesterday. It is icy out and very cold and the gym is closed. I may do my resistance exercises though.

Breakfast: 12:30
earlier this morning I had one yellow potato before going to church. My tummy was growling !
cauliflower
steel cut oats
blueberries

no lunch today

Dinner: 5:30pm
cauliflower soup
broccoli
lentil loaf
potatoes with a potato cheeze sauce
apple

quiet day today and not much to say except Happy New Year Everyone ! I wonder what this year will bring????

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:38 am

Exercise: walked 3 miles at the gym. stretches at home. resistance exercises at home

Breakfast: 12 noon
broccoli
steel cut oats
pear
mixed grain sprouts
splash of almond milk

Lunch: 2:30
large salad (spinach, kale, broccoli sprouts, tomato, red pepper, cucumber, romaine )
balsamic and my hummus for dressing
sweet potato (tried a "Jersey Sweet" this time. I really liked it !)

Dinner: (7:30)
veggie soup
potato
lentil loaf
broccoli
potato cheeze sauce
nice cream

Good day today. May have had a little too much for dinner but don't feel stuffed so maybe ok.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:21 am

Today is Sunday which is my "lazy" day. No exercise today .

Breakfast: (11am)
steel cut oats
blueberries
grain sprouts

I will add to this later. My oldest son who lives in Tennessee was visiting and we chatted for quite a while this morning. So nice to talk and catch up but now he has left to go back home. I am always a little sad to see him go but we do keep in touch quite well during the months he is not here so that is fine.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:03 pm

I see that I didn't finish posting my meals yesterday and now I have forgotten what I ate. I will just start with today.

Exercise: 3 mile walk at the gym and then stretches and then resistance exercises for arms

Breakfast:
broccoli
pear
old fashioned oats
tumeric and pepper (no salt)

Lunch:
large cabbage (and other things) salad : I am almost out of veggies so cleaned out the fridge with this salad
my hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing
large sweet potato

Dinner:
veggie soiup
potato
lentil loaf
cucumber
pear

That is it for today. Going to try to walk outside tomorrow after grocery shopping. I am hoping it will be warm enough that I won't slip and slide. Will see !

Took the tree down today and almost all the decorations. Christmas seemed to go so fast this year ! Now continuing on to a month of healthy eating !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:54 pm

Exercise: about a 2 mile walk outside. There were some snowy/ice spots I had to skip around so my mileage was shorter today.

Breakfast:
orange (while waiting for my oats to cook....I was hungry !)
oat groats
pear

Lunch:
large salad
my hummus and balsamic vinegar for salad dressing
the rest of the lentil loaf and potato
banana

Dinner:
cabbage veg soup
sweet potato (didn't finish because I wasn't so hungry)
apple and a few chick peas I just cooked

Today was grocery shopping day and I go as soon as I wake up, brush my teeth and throw my clothes on. It always throws me off a bit and my walk gets delayed til later morning, my breakfast is after shopping ....just believe me that it messes with my day a bit. I like to shop early though so I won't change things. I will just grumble about it. The good thing is that the temperature was warm enough that I could walk outside without slipping on ice!

No temptations to eat unhealthy today. No cravings ! At the grocery store I grabbed a loaf of bread and then backup up and avoided the baked goods . That is usually my temptation place so I just avoided it and thought about what produce I needed to buy. My week is going pretty well. Just one bump in the road on Sunday afternoon but I am over it now. I just keep reminding myself how incredibly hard it is to avoid other cravings and urges to eat rich food once I give in "just one more time" . It really is not worth it.

Be back tomorrow !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:41 pm

Exercise:
3 mile walk at the gym

Breakfast:
1 small potato before going to the gym
blueberries
oat groats

Lunch:
large salad
hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing
sweet potato

mid afternoon I felt stressed by those protesters storming the Capital building.....I had a banana ;-) and also a cup of herbal tea

Dinner:
veggie soup
broccoli
rice mix
garbanzo beans
orange

Today was a good day for me. A little urge to indulge after listening to the news but indulging wouldn't help anything and would lead to more eating which I didn't want to start doing. Went to the dentist today and got a good report. Other than laundry and some dusting, that is all of my day. Tomorrow I watch my grandson so I will pack up a lunch. It will probably be veggie soup (their house is always so cold :lol: I need to have something warm ! I will probably have a sweet potato too as it is easy to pack up.

Been thinking about weighing myself and weight goals. I pretty much agree that I don't have a goal. I just want to keep eating MWL until my weight loss stops and then I will probably still follow it because if I don't, I will start up with the rich food and then start back down that unhealthy road. I like the way I am eating now and enjoy the food (plain and simple). I haven't felt this calm about following an eating plan in....forever ! I have found my way out of the diet mentality and I like where I am.

Have a good day tomorrow!
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:47 pm

[quote="squealcat"]

Hi,
yesterday was so disturbing! I too was thinking of comfort food, but decided I didn't want to give up all I have gained; not worth it, and as you said, wouldn't have made any difference.

We just need to keep on doing our best and keeping the faith.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals