My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm

Ok, I posted on the September MWL connect board. I didn't want to do it but feel I really need to follow through with the month. One more week for the September board. I hope to turn it all around !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:26 am

Day 2: Headache started yesterday and is more painful than usual. I haven't had a headache in a long time. Maybe it is because of all the crazy food I ate this week. Well, this is day 2 of the headache as well and they usually last 48 hours so probably tomorrow I will feel better. I also started feeling dizzy yesterday. I know that this is common but i haven't had this but once and it was a very long time ago (years and years). If I keep my head looking straight ahead I am fine but looking down or moving my head around brings it on again. Maybe this vertigo brought on the headache? Don't know.

I went on a nice walk this morning. Sunny and chilly but I think it as good walking weather. I walked 1 1/2 miles. The dizziness didn't mess with my walk so I am happy.

I Had my oatmeal for breakfast after the walk and, of course, blueberries too ! I left off the salt thinking that I will back down on sodium and breakfast is a good place to start.

Day 2 of simple eating. I can do it ! Potatoes and rice for my starches, salad at lunch and broccoli/cauliflower for dinner. More potatoes if needed between. A big apple for dessert today. I had a banana before my walk because I was starting to get hungry and I am afraid of hunger....esp since I have this headache.

Now I am drinking a lot of water as well today too and getting in 50 squats !

How is YOUR day going?

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:20 am

Continuing to do well this week. Took a nice walk today and then worked in the garden for a while. After that had my morning oatmeal with blueberries (which I never tire of ).

I have been eating pretty simply this week as stated before. I made cauliflower bisque which is a Chef AJ recipe. I found that I like it just fine without the added plant milk. It was nice and creamy without adding it. I think it would be too thin with the added liquid. I also made sloppy lentil joes which I got from the Monkey and Me web site. It is very delicious with a nice spice. I want to make the coleslaw today. I may leave out the tahini from the recipe if it tastes good without. Daily salads have been so delicious as well as baked potatoes, squash, chick peas etc. I have plenty to eat !

Since eating much better, my headache is gone as well as the dizziness. My stomach does not feel bloated and the gassiness is gone too ! It is important to remember the symptoms I get while eating the standard diet so i stay away from it.

My husband is saying he wants to start eating according to the Pritikin plan that he learned in cardiac rehab. He will not leave out meat or cheese but he wants to eat healthier. I need to figure out how to help him. We eat and cook separably and have for a long time. I don't mind cooking things for him but I fear he will just not feel like eating what I fix and it will just sit there.....that is what happened with us that resulted in us fixing our own many years ago. Well, will see what I can work out.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:22 am

Well, I see that my "Weighing in" posts are now at the bottom of the page ! Time to re-fresh !

I am not going to join the MWL board this month. I just cannot stick to a couple of the 10 points right now and don't want to mess up anyone's vision of their journey by reading mine. I have been doing pretty well with MWL but then I miss some more exciting tastes or different recipes. I guess what I will be doing is Starch Solution but using some points of the MWL program.

Ingrained in my mind is having a large salad at lunch (which I LOVE) and always veggies at dinner. Not sure I will do 50/50 but there will be veggies. I like to have more fruit too but usually just 3 a day.

I want to start with having soup at the beginning of my dinner each day. That pre-load will be helpful to me and I have had trouble getting it to stick so this month I will concentrate on it. I have Chef AJ's Cauliflower Bisque in my fridge right now so will start with that as my dinner soup. Just copied off a Pumpkin Curry Soup by Straight up Food and will get ingredients for that and make that today or tomorrow.

Exercise is an important component of my life too. Today it was a 2.5 mile walk outdoors ! We are having a few wonderful warm days here in Michigan and I don't want to waste them! This is my third week doing some resistance exercises too....just for 10 minutes or so each day. I can talk myself into 10 minutes !

That is all for now. I have to organize my thoughts. I know I will miss that MWL board and will read it each week. There is such a great support system there but I will always feel that I am not being truthful with that group and I just cannot do that.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:04 pm

Somehow my last post disappeared ! :eek:

Anyway, I decided to once again follow MWL on the Connect forum. I just love the support there and feel I just need to continue to stick with it.

Yesterday went pretty well until evening and then I pulled out a couple of snacks and ate them. Today I got that urge again and kept talking to myself...." if I keep doing this and eating these things I really will never reach the goals I want to achieve!" and " eating this will make firm in my mind that I just don't care if I ever reach a healthy weight and healthy life". I just kept talking to myself and telling myself that the voice I heard was not MY voice. It was a lie :twisted: ! I think I finally listened ! :nod:

I know that tomorrow I will feel good about what I have done today. I will wake up feeling happy when lately I wake up thinking about all the "stuff" I ate the previous day...not good ! :angry:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:26 am

Breakfast today: Steel cut oats with a pear

Today was grocery shopping day. My fridge is stuffed ! :eek:

Going for a walk in a few minutes. It is the last warm day here in Michigan that I can forsee so I want to take advantage. After that is a little work in the garden and then laundry ! I really love my routines and it makes me feel calm and grounded.

I also plan to bake some sweet potatoes and cook up some beans and then some little yellow potatoes as well. I have to have food ready or I find myself in trouble. I bought beets at the store and the greens from them are soaking right now.....pretty dirty but I hate to waste them so I will wash and store and steam later.

I also bought a HUGE cauliflower head ! I have to figure out what to do with it. Maybe some for a soup.....haven't made the one using caraway seeds in a long time so maybe that and maybe some cheeze sauce or something. There will still be leftovers to eat raw or steam.

Have a great day everyone !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:47 am

Just a couple of remarks about choices I have made.

Yesterday I cancelled my WW (Weight Watchers) membership. It was a difficult thing for me as I have been a member for YEARS ! I lost about 60 pounds following their guidelines and the last couple of years found it easy to be a member while following McDougall's recomendations since they now have changed their point system making all whole foods zero points. BUT I realized I was just in it for the social aspect (I loved going to the meetings and have met many really nice people and have made friends there). Now that covid has changed things up I had to face that I really haven't lost any weight for the last 2 years and now with covid I was slowly gaining.

I joined the MWL group here and have found all the support I need. It took a while for me to adjust but now am losing about 1.5 pounds a week! Everyone is so positive and helpful. I feel that they are my (far away) friends. The important part is that I feel like I really am changing my ways by following the 10 MWL points. I continually remind myself that following these points are more important than the weight loss. I want health ! The weight loss with follow. I also think about that turtle that Dr Doug Lysle talks about who continually walks forward while only seeing what is just in front of him. I can be like that turtle.

Now I want to talk about yesterday ! :oops: . My husband suggested we get take-out. Restaraunts here in Michigan are closed except for take-outs. I ordered a bean burrito minus cheese, minus chips with extra lettuce. Not compliant with MWL but I was fine with that for one time. Well, it came with cheese on top and when I cut into it I saw that it also had meat in it along with the beans ! I was starved by then and , in the moment, chose to eat it as it was. It was very good but afterwards I was slightly nauseous but otherwise ok. If I were eating at the restaraunt I would have sent it back but I was not going to send my husband back to get the correct thing. What's done is done. I won't order that again ! They have whole wheat pasta I can get next time. Now I picture myself as that turtle who looks and walks forward and keeps on going. I will be fine. :)

It is time for my walk ! This is a habit I started over 3 years ago when I retired. It clears my head, gives me time for prayer, it calms me down and gives me energy at the same time.

Hope you all are doing well! I will enjoy my day. Planning on making mashed potatoes today and steaming some veggies later to go with my meals. Veggie soup is prepared in the fridge along with some bean soup to pour over rice. I am all set ! Thinking about adding some greens to my breakfast menu. I already mix salad sprouts with my oats so why not?

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:28 am

I am seeing that the episode in the last post regarding the veggie burrito that wasn't veggie continued to do damage to the next couple of days :eek: . I thought I would be ok but really, I started my old habits of looking in cupboards for richer foods. We don't have many (thankfully) but I need to turn it around. :nod:

This morning I start with my walk and resistance exercises. The weather report looks good for almost the next week. More winter-like weather (maybe) starts next Sunday. We will see. My plan is to go to the gym to walk when it turns nasty. I will walk and just go home. No social stuff.

I miss my "social stuff" ! This has been hard ! Now we have decided to just stay home for Christmas and not have the kids over this year. I miss them all so much ! Thankfully we all communicate a few days each week and I do see my daughter and her family every Thursday when I watch my special needs grandson. It is almost like normal ! I dream of this next summer when we can have the grand kids over and have get-togethers again !

The lesson is: if you are following MWL it is easier to just stick to it and avoid all the craziness and craving resurection that follows.

Today will be a great day ! I will work at getting the rest of my Christmas shopping done (on line) and decorating. The tree goes up next week (so says my husband) but I will do the rest this week. :)
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:21 am

I am going to post what I am eating today just to help me get back on track and maybe help anyone else that might be interested.

exercise: 3 mile walk, stretches, arm strength exercises using exercise bands and light weights. ( I ate one small potato before my walk because I was getting hungry )

Breakfast (11:30)
broccoli
steel cut oats
blueberries
chopped up salad sprouts on top of the oats

Lunch (3:30)
Very large salad with greens, sprouts,tomatoes etc
my hummus added to salad and balsamic vinegar
leftover bean soup over mashed potatoes
still feeling hungry : added one small potato with mustard

Dinner: (7:00)
vegetable soup
broccoli
Japanese sweet potato
apple

done !
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 am

Tuesday (today)
I woke up late today. Grocery shopping day ! I try to get to the store by 7:30 but today it was after 9:00 :eek:

exercise: 1.5 mile walk Just didn't feel like walking 3 miles today. It was just too late in the morning for me.

breakfast:(11:30) blueberries
steel cut oats with a splash of almond milk
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:30 pm

Yesterday did not go well but today was GREAT!

Exercise: 3 mile walk and resistance arm exercises

Breakfast: 11:30
broccoli
oatmeal
salad sprouts
blueberries

lunch: 2:30
2 small potatoes just before lunch because I was getting very hungry and had a couple of things to do
Large salad with hummus (mine) on top and balsamic vinegar
Large sweet potato
tea

Dinner: 7:00
veg soup
brussel sprouts and mushrooms
mashed potatoes
pinto beans
orange

today I cooked a batch of farro, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and small yellow potatoes
I also started arugula microgreens and grain sprouts

I hope to do as well tomorrow. I used up the veg soup today though and will be gone for tomorrow. I think I have some soup frozen and will use that for dinner otherwise it will be salad twice.
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Today went very well ! I went over to my daughter's house and helped care for my little one year old grandson. He is special needs and I help once a week when there are no nurses so my daughter and her husband can work from home without too many interruptions.

Breakfast: (9:15)
a handful of sprouts
oatmeal
blueberries

Lunch: (12:45)
large salad
balsamic vinegar
large sweet potato
orange

Dinner: (6:30 pm)
veg soup
broccoli
mushrooms
mashed potato
pinto beans

done!
No exercise today . tomorrow will be a good day to walk
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Exercise: walk 3 miles followed by resistance exercises
Had one small yellow potato before my walk because I was getting hungry.

Breakfast:
broccoli
peach slices
farro
splash of almond milk

Lunch:
very large salad
my hummus and balsamic vinegar on top of salad
large sweet potato

Dinner:
veggie soup
brussel sprouts
mushrooms
mashed potatoes
Cara cara orange

Trying to finish my Christmas shopping. Not quite done. This is always stressful for me. Of course, I want everything to be perfect ! Wrapping will be next ! Also need to get 3 gifts shipped hoping they reach my son't house by Christmas. So many to do's !

Eating is one thing I can control this year . We will be home all month with no visiting. If we get take out I will have to be careful though. I used to suggest it but now I am quiet. If my husband asks then I will be OK with it. Will see . The places we order from I can usually figure out pretty well unless they get the order wrong ( like last time). Always a lesson to be learned!

Happy Friday to all of you ! Two weeks and it will be Christmas !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Exercise: Walked at the gym (3 miles) It was pouring rain outside so time to check out the gym . I did some core exercises at home.

Had one small potato before exercise

Breakfast:
cauliflower
farro
pear

Lunch:
very large salad
brussel sprouts
large potato
my hummus

Dinner:
veg soup
brussel sprouts
mashed potatoes
corn
mushrooms
pinto beans
pear

Dinner was a "use up some leftovers" kinda meal so some of it was just small amounts. I had a white potato for lunch and miss my sweet potato so will bake some up tomorrow. I plan to make a curry using some of the kidney beans that are in my cupboard tomorrow too. That means I must cook up some rice to go with it.

Not much else happening today.
Enjoy your weekend !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Marla » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Your menu sounds delicious and healthy. I love kidney bean curry; I bet you are looking forward to that! I also miss my sweet potatoes when I run out. I think I'm a little too fond of them, but as far as vices go, a sweet potato addiction isn't so bad. :)
Marla

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals