Midnight's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Midnight's journal

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 pm

What! Twelve pounds! that is amazing! Way to go!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby midnight87 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:09 am

Ugh my weight's up a couple pounds. It's probably salt, I've been having a love affair with the salt shaker I guess. I need to watch that the rest of the week, I'd love to have another loss.

Today's plan:

Breakfast:
Sweet potatoes and maple syrup

Lunch:
Sweet potato
BBQ lentils
Steamed cruciferous crunch
banana

Dinner:
Rice
Vegetable curry (not MWL complaint, has coconut milk in it, but I thinned it down with almond milk)
Strawberries

We'll see how this goes, I notice my weight does kinda follow a pattern where it increased during the weekend, then drops off during the week. At least weigh in for the MWL thread is on Friday lol. Gonna try to moderate the salt intake, I think I did get carried away with it over the weekend.
midnight87

Postby midnight87 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Hmmm starting to wonder about this week. I think I've been too lax. My weight is down about a half pound, but I was hoping for more. I think the curry was a mistake, and I've been eating too many larabars...basically too much fat. Today I did better though.

Breakfast:

Sweet potatoes
banana
Maple Syrup

Lunch:
Sweet potato
lentils and bbq sauce
steamed cruciferous crunch
banana

Dinner:
Boiled potatoes
Jill Mckeever's cheeze sauce
Salad with spring mix, cucumber, and carrots
Dressing was made from balsamic glaze, balsamic vinnegar, dijon mustard and agave

I'll probably have a cup of herbal tea later. Going to try to eat more on plan until I go visit family next Friday for memorial day. Then I'm planning on going off plan for a meal at some point, mainly it'll be for a veggie burger on the grill. However, I'm planning on bringing food with me. I think I'm going to try to plan on basing my meals around Jeff's SNAP meals, especially when I go home next week.
midnight87

Postby midnight87 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:04 am

So I'm up 1.4 lbs, I'm at 212.9 specifically. I think I ate wayyyyy too much salt last week. I'm going to work on that this week. I also was eating a larabar just about every day. I'm not buying those this week. Other than that I ate on plan, whole grains, potatoes, veggies, and fruit.

Next week I want to try starting my dinner with a veggie soup. When I make salad, the dressing I make is kinda high in sugar, so I think soup would be a better option. I'm also debating about doing a savory breakfast challenge, I think that would be good for me because I tend to either use maple syrup in the morning or use A LOT of fruit lol, including high glycemic fruits like dates and bananas. Boy that would be a challenge though, I almost never eat savory for breakfast.
midnight87

Postby midnight87 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:43 pm

So I'm at 214 as of this evening. Hmmm, I'm trying to eat on plan. It is currently that time of the month, so I'm trying to take it with a grain of salt. That said, last week I could have done better for sure. Been doing better since Sunday, I'm kinda nervous about memorial day though. I'm bringing food with me, that's for sure. I am planning on indulging in a vegan burger, probably beyond meat if it's in stock. Besides that I'm not sure about indulging in other things. We'll see what happens I suppose.

Next week I want to try a few new things. I really want to make myself try out some savory breakfasts. I really think that could help with the weight loss, I do feel like I over eat on fruit at times and I still use maple syrup or brown sugar in the morning pretty frequently. With savory breakfasts I wont be tempted. I also want to try pre-loading at dinner with soup. I think that'll be much easier for me than doing salad. It's a better plan in general since I make salad dressing just about always with agave syrup in it. These things should really help cut down on the sugar I'm eating which should help a lot. I think I really just need to change my attitude around breakfast, I keep thinking I wont like savory breakfasts, but I haven't really tried to put any effort into that.

Anyways I have a few ideas I want to try out for a savory breakfast:
- potatoes with a bean gravy
- pea soup
- potato soup
- red lentil chili
- savory oatmeal

Kinda weird that I'm thinking soup might make a good breakfast? I guess what I'm thinking is that I know I like those soups, so that might actually be a good place to start as opposed to doing a completely new recipe :)

Today's food:

Breakfast:
Sweet potatoes
Maple syrup

Lunch:
Millet
Black beans
BBQ sauce
cruciferous crunch
banana

Snack:
We had a pot luck at work, and I ended up trying a couple of the chopped salads. They probably had oil in the dressing, but they sure were good!

Dinner:
Bean Chili
Sweet potato
6 small oat date rolls
midnight87

Postby midnight87 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Finally my weight is going back down. 212.1 this afternoon. I may just have an official loss this week if I can get under 211.5, we shall see. At this point, I'll take it though. I definitely feel better now, I could tell I was bloated before. I also went shopping today after work to stock up on food for my trip home this weekend. The first step in making sure you stay on plan is to make sure you have the proper food available, so I've got that covered now :)

Today's food:

Breakfast:
Sweet potatoes
Maple syrup

Lunch:
Millet
BBQ sauce
Black beans
Cruciferous crunch
banna

Snack:
banana

Dinner:
Spring mix salad
Cucumber
Hummus (had oil in it, I was lazy)
Sweet potato
3 bean chili
5 small date-oat rolls (all done with these now)
midnight87

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 29, 2019 10:11 am

Isn't it crazy how the scale does? You can be disciplined, frequently working out, following the plan just fine and zero droppage. Then one day BAM release the pounds! LOL

and then oops the scale moves the wrong directions. ARRRGH! Just goes to show, the body is doing MUCH more than just being pulled towards the center of the earth by gravity. LOL I'm glad your little climb didn't last. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby midnight87 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:01 am

Well, may was kinda disappointing in terms of weight loss. I think I learned my lesson though, I think I just have a smaller margin of error than some other people may. I was at 212.5 yesterday, at least I didn't have a gain last week. I had terrible allergies Wednesday, feeling better now though. I was sneezing constantly which gave me a head ache. I don't remember my allergies being this bad in the past, the last few years it seems to be getting progressively worse. I tried taking a claritan Wednesday but that didn't seem to do anything. Using a neti pot does seem to help actually. I'll keep using that in the morning and evening.

I did try to implement some stuff last week, I did make myself a veggie soup which I was eating before dinner most days, one day I did decide to make a salad instead. I think I made my soup too spicy lol, gonna try something different with that next week. I want to maybe try more of an oriental flavoring I think.

I was going to try out some savory breakfasts last week but that still hasn't happened. I was out of town over memorial day weekend so I was behind with my cooking last week and never got around to putting that together. I ended up eating oatmeal or green smoothies in the morning. Normally I don't drink smoothies, I know it's against the McDougall plan, but it's nice when you feel like you've got a bunch of gunk in the back of your throat in the morning I gotta say. I'm back to eating oatmeal now though.

Things I need to work on this month:
- Get rid of the Larabars- those might actually be the main culprit
- Continue with soup or salad before dinner
- Actually try out some savory breakfasts
- Get back into working out, the last two weeks I really haven't done much
midnight87

Postby sirdle » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 am

midnight87 wrote:Things I need to work on this month:
- Get rid of the Larabars- those might actually be the main culprit
- Continue with soup or salad before dinner
- Actually try out some savory breakfasts
- Get back into working out, the last two weeks I really haven't done much

Overall, you're doing well!

I think the Larabars and the exercise will have a big impact. Keep at it!

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby midnight87 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Doing really well so far this month, I'm down to 209.6 as of this morning. Yesterday I was at 210.5, so I'm going based off that for next weeks weigh in on the MWL June thread.

I'm still eating lots of potatoes, rice, beans, veggies, and fruit. I did use a soyaki sauce a few times this week that had some oil in it and I made a tahini dressing a couple times too. I really like that soyaki sauce, but maybe I can figure out something compliant that's pretty similar. I'm pretty happy with how I'm doing, I think the key is potatoes...and lots of them lol. In particular, I've been trying to incorporate more boiled potatoes and lots of veggies.

I think I'm not going to worry too much about starting with a soup or salad for now. I may eat a salad for a meal here or there, especially since it's getting hot here. But I feel like it's too much work to eat it before my meals every day, and it's getting too hot for soup. So, I'm just going to keep focusing on half my plate filled with vegetables and half with starch., seems to be working :)

Another thing I did yesterday, I went ahead and hired a trainer for the next few months. Hopefully that gets me over my gym anxiety and it'll give me more motivation to stay on track I think. Especially since we have the 4th of July next month, and then I have a week long vacation about mid way through July too. Lots of opportunities to get off track there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the rest of this month goes :)
midnight87

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi there! I had not heard of Soyaki sauce before, so I googled it and the site that came up had a recipe with no oil. https://lifeisnoyoke.com/soyaki-sauce/

The recipe reminded me of the sauce Maangchi uses for sweet potato rice. (To make the recipe MWL compliant, use sticky brown rice, and skip the sweetener in the sauce. It goes great on broccoli, too!).

Edited to add: I just realized that I forgot the link for the sweet potato rice. Here you go! https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gogumabap
Last edited by Lyndzie on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby midnight87 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Well, I paid a price for all that oil. I got my period 3 days early and it came complete with cramps. It did ease up the next day and today I felt okay too. Normally I'm at 29 days, this was at 26, really unusual. It could be stress too I guess. Anyways, more motivation to stay on plan I guess :)

This week my plan is to make beet burgers, more potatoes, red lentil pasta and veggies. Pretty much I just want to get back to basics.

Last week I noticed an issue with working out. I was using it as an excuse to eat more, and yesterday I definitely over ate. Ugh. I need to watch that or I'm going to run into more issues. I might make it a rule that on days I work out, I eat potatoes for dinner...period. At least for now lol. Pretty much impossible to over eat on boiled potatoes anyways.

Unfortunately I think my weight is back up a couple pounds, but it is that time of the month. Hopefully it goes back down in a couple days.
midnight87

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals