Keeping the weight off: riding the wave

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Keeping the weight off: riding the wave

Postby moonlight » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:23 am

Hi Sue,

Thanks for keeping your journal active and checking in from time to time. I read the Maintenance thread, too. You are inspiring me to keep at it. I remember when you moved into maintenance and I thought I was close behind you. For some reason, not planned, I took a year off mentally, not really working hard to stay within the MWL guidelines. I have maintained my weight but didn't get below 175 for a year! A couple of months ago I started working hard and have started losing again. I am always encouraged by the conversation on the maintenance thread. From my perspective, the diligence and concerted effort doesn't change when you get to goal weight. You may relax your diet a tiny bit but it is always about staying aware of what's going in your mouth. I appreciate hearing how you are doing.

Congratulations!! :)
moonlight

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:25 am

Thanks for your kind words Moonlight and so sorry for not replying sooner! Hope all is well with you x
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:29 am

It's been a while since I posted here so thought I'd do a short update.

Since October 2019, my average weekly weight has been exactly my goal weight, and since May I've had my longest run of being under goal weight since hitting it in March 2018. In addition to sticking to the McDougall Regular Program, I've set myself some other health-related challenges. In 2019 the aim was to cut down or cut out alcohol and in 2020 it’s been to exercise more. I'm now over 12 months without alcohol, am doing online yoga and pilates, increased average daily steps by 2,500 and have completed a Couch To 5k running program. I've used what I've learned from following the McDougall Program and losing weight to tackle these challenges. Treating a specific change as an experiment, for an example, has been very helpful. As with weight loss, progress hasn’t been linear, but overall I’m feeling fitter, happier, am sleeping way better, have more energy and the body’s a little more toned.

With regards to numbers, I recently did a quick summary for myself and my husband, who currently eats about 85% McDougall. Since our joint heaviest weights in early 2013, we’ve lost a combined total of 73 pounds (a total of 53 pounds since I started the MWL programme in May 2017) – woo hoo! Clothing-wise he’s down from XL to Medium and I’ve dropped two dress sizes. Health-wise, our cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI etc are all in the healthy/normal range. My husband had a mild gout attack last Summer, so he decided to join me in the no alcohol challenge last September and has recently celebrated one year alcohol free. :)

Staying at this weight has got easier over time. I now eat pretty simply most of the time, although I do enjoy trying new recipes. If I went back to MWL, I could possibly lose a few more pounds but I’m happy with foods like wholemeal bread, a few nuts and dried fruit in my life. During the Covid19 pandemic we’ve both been extra grateful that we are healthy, able to cook and enjoy simple meals and to grow our own food.

For anyone interested in joining or reading the Monthly Maintenance Threads, they are in the Testimonials and Success Stories section of the forum.

Best wishes to all, Sue x
Suey51

Postby Suey51 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:52 am

Tomorrow marks three years' of McDougall maintenance life. Increased anxiety and stress over the past 12 months led to some poor food choices, particularly in the evenings. I had a mild dose of Covid in January 2021 and am lucky to have recovered fully. My weight is a pound above goal weight and the evening snacking is a work in progress :) Am also working on learning about emotions and practicing mindfulness.
Suey51

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 am

Suey51 wrote:Tomorrow marks three years' of McDougall maintenance life. Increased anxiety and stress over the past 12 months led to some poor food choices, particularly in the evenings. I had a mild dose of Covid in January 2021 and am lucky to have recovered fully. My weight is a pound above goal weight and the evening snacking is a work in progress :) Am also working on learning about emotions and practicing mindfulness.

Wow! glad you had only a mild case, and glad you are recovering!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Suey51 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:33 am

Thanks Buns! xx
Suey51