Journal for Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal for Health

Postby Michele613 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks Sirdle......I should have also mentioned 'enjoyable'. I have an intolerance with the radish family ...I believe jicama is related. Caramel popcorn works :)
Michele613

Postby sirdle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:07 pm

Michele613 wrote:Thanks Sirdle......I should have also mentioned 'enjoyable'. I have an intolerance with the radish family ...I believe jicama is related. Caramel popcorn works :)

Oops. Sorry. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Michele613 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:17 pm

I just grabbed a crunchy apple....it'll have to do...still have junk food preferences. Give it time it'll pass!!!! Thanks for your input. I'll look around the market for substitutes.
Michele613

Postby keithswife » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:34 am

A good way to ensure messing up and going off the program is to come on here and brag about how good you're doing. At least that's what happened to me. :angry: :oops: :cry:

I was compliant with breakfast and lunch, then we went out for dinner. Let me say, there were a few things I could have ordered and had a nice meal. But, I decided to try an Impossible burger (fake meat and tasted like it), french fries, a glass of wine, a dairy-filled dessert, and my hubby's leftover dessert. I was starving when we finally went out to eat and had the wine on an empty stomach which dissolved my will power. It sounds like an excuse, but it really isn't. That one glass wiped me out like I had drunk the whole bottle. I'm not sure what they gave me, but it was strong. :duh: I'm not much of a drinker, and I clearly need to stay away from the stuff. The only upside is I slept really well, for the first time in forever.

But today is another day to get it right. :D

Today's eats

B: nothing, just coffee. Still stuffed from last night
L: plain brown rice, some leftover veggies
D: the mashed potatoes I planned on yesterday, cooked carrots
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby Michele613 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:28 pm

I know how easy it is to slip and alcohol definitely breaks down the defenses. Welllllll you got back on the next day so good for you. It goes to show that we cannot afford to eat or drink without acute mindfulness about the potential risks of making even a temporary detour from our program. Stay on the road.
Michele613

Postby keithswife » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:54 am

I was getting ready to quit McDougalling for any one of a million reasons yesterday. My prime goal is not weight loss, but preventing ill health and dementia. I mentioned before that I took care of my Grandma who died in a nursing home. Nursing homes are not where you want to end up. They were not abusive, but so understaffed and the doctor's answer to everything is to prescribe another pill. They had her catatonic at one point until a kind doctor intervened on my behalf. But, that seems to be the goal. Over medicate people until they go into a stupor and can't complain. I am bitter. I know I am. But I lost so much faith in the medical profession after her death.

So, I get on the internet and drive myself to the brink of insanity trying to find the right way to prevent this from happening to me. And there are so many forms of dementia with so many causes that there is no one thing to prevent it. You can McDougall and exercise and certainly try to stack the deck in your favor, but for folks like me who carry the Alzheimer's gene doctors don't say much. So I want to make sure I am doing the right things in the right way, I guess. At least, to maybe have a bit of hope. And yes I know, genetics aren't everything. I've read it all. But I've lost so many loved ones to this horrible disease. My Uncle came down with it in his early 60's. So ...

But, anyway, like I was saying I was ready to quit. Until I woke up at 5:00 am this morning. I was just wide awake. I had some coffee, read some news, worked an hour at my job, swept and mopped the floor ... I feel better. I have more energy. So, I've resolved to experiment with this a while longer and see where it takes me.

B: bulgur and blueberries
L: potato cakes, applesauce, green salad
D: stir-fried veggies and rice
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:43 am

Keithswife, I'm also here because of alzheimers disease. It is one of my leading drivers right now to be honest. My father, 82, is severely ill with this disease, my mom is still taking care of him at home. I spent 3 weeks with them this past spring when my mom had surgery and will be going back for a week in October. This has scared the crap out of me. I don't know whether or not I have the genes, but the moment I can't remember something, which seems to be so often lately, I feel panicky.

I did ask my doctor about it, and she said due to the family history, she's comfortable with me doing neurological testing at any time, sort of to see my baseline. I'm 56. I might consider it when I turn 60.

Just want you to know you aren't alone in your fears, there is nothing scarier and sadder to see.

Keep strong in your diet, I'm right there with you.
AnnetteW

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 am

Yes I agree, keep strong and don’t give up. Just one day at a time, one meal at a time. I really don’t know much about Alzheimer’s or dementia but I have read that if you eat healthy and avoid oils your arteries will be healthier which includes those in your brain. Both my parents died in their mid 60s from cancer. One of the primary risk factors for cancer is obesity. So I’m not sure genetically if I am at a higher risk of cancer, but staying at a lower bmi will at least reduce the one risk factor.

You don’t mention any of the reasons for considering quitting McDougall. Perhaps if you could list the top 3, the members of this forum could provide some support in how to address those reasons. Glad you have decided to keep experimenting. :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby keithswife » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:58 am

Thank you, Annette. Like you, I am scared of what the future may hold. What else can we do except keep on putting one foot in front of the other? I pray the time will come soon that they find a cure for this awful disease.

Ejeff wrote:You don’t mention any of the reasons for considering quitting McDougall. Perhaps if you could list the top 3, the members of this forum could provide some support in how to address those reasons. Glad you have decided to keep experimenting. :-D

Ejeff, my top 3 reasons for wanting to quit? Let me see

1. This might not be the correct way of eating to prevent dementia
2. The populations around the world that have the lowest percentage of cancer and heart disease aren't 100% Vegan
3. This is the anti-social diet. You can't really go out to eat without making a bunch of special requests and for some reason, friends and family members make it a point to dissuade you every chance they get.

Oh well, you get the idea. For now, I am sticking with it as it seems to be working. When I get my bloodwork done again, I will better know where I stand with my health.
keithswife

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:37 pm

keithswife wrote:Thank you, Annette. Like you, I am scared of what the future may hold. What else can we do except keep on putting one foot in front of the other? I pray the time will come soon that they find a cure for this awful disease.

Ejeff wrote:You don’t mention any of the reasons for considering quitting McDougall. Perhaps if you could list the top 3, the members of this forum could provide some support in how to address those reasons. Glad you have decided to keep experimenting. :-D

Ejeff, my top 3 reasons for wanting to quit? Let me see

1. This might not be the correct way of eating to prevent dementia
2. The populations around the world that have the lowest percentage of cancer and heart disease aren't 100% Vegan
3. This is the anti-social diet. You can't really go out to eat without making a bunch of special requests and for some reason, friends and family members make it a point to dissuade you every chance they get.

Oh well, you get the idea. For now, I am sticking with it as it seems to be working. When I get my bloodwork done again, I will better know where I stand with my health.

These are legitimate concerns. I especially resonate with the third one....can't eat out, have to avoid most of the offerings at potlucks and parties, etc. It's tough, it really is. In a society that presents much food at every gathering, It. Is. Tough.

As for #1: I'm not sure there is a correct way of eating to prevent dementia but I KNOW that this W.O.E. will help in many ways to prevent so many lifestyle illnesses. There are cases of MS reversing, Rheumatoid Arthritis, gut ailments, and even stage four cancers. REVERSING. Not to mention how good it is for heart disease. It can't hurt, that's for sure.

#2. It's true. There is no 100% vegan society throughout history. HOWEVER the longest lived societies, with the healthiest overall populations today and throughout history have been those who have a staple starch that is part of every meal. In Asia it's been rice. In South America, potatoes. Corn in Central and North America. Some places in Africa: yams. Some: Millet. In ancient Rome it was barley. Etc. The point isn't 100% vegan. It is "What starch will be the center of your plate?" for every meal.

Eat starch, and keep the fat very low. It's the best thing you can do for your health. I'm glad you didn't quit

(((HUG)))
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ejeff » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 am

Glad you have decided to stick with it and it seems to be working that’s great news. I agree with buns on points 1 and 2. As for #3 eating out, I have actually found the opposite from family and friends. The longer I eat this way the more they just ignore my way of eating or they will choose restaurants with vegan options. Social connections are very important to me, so I still eat out and I just do the best I can. I’m not 100% compliant when eating out, sometimes I have food with oil. I could easily still dine out with friends and be 100% compliant, I could order a plain salad and bring my own dressing. I eat out with them for the friendship and conversation not so much for the food.

Staying healthy is more important to me than what I can order when eating out. I have many relatives and friends now suffering the ill effects of a poor diet such as obesity and arthritis. I know if I quit McDougall I would gain all the weight back and increase my risk of many diseases. Knowing this helps me stay the course.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby keithswife » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:57 pm

I weighed this morning and I am down 4 pounds, so I've lost 2 pounds per week. It was mainly off of my bloated digestive system, which has deflated considerably now that I'm feeding it good food. :D I met a friend for breakfast and was able to get steel-cut oats, fruit, and dry whole-grain toast. Not at a bad meal at all.

I am still being very lazy about the exercise, with the exception of riding my horse. I have a nice plan written down, just need the kick in the pants to do it. :roll:

Today's Eats

B: steel cut oats, fruit, toast and coffee
L: large salad and a slice of whole grain bread
D: leftover kale and whole wheat pasta
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 am

I have a houseful of company that's staying with me for a week. And of course, I haven't been eating compliant. But, I ask myself, is my family really luring me to go off track with food or am I using them as an excuse to eat what I want? For me, it is the latter. No one is making me do anything. So, I'm putting the chips down and getting back on track today. :duh:
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 am

My house guests are gone, and the last of the chips, cookies, ice cream, and birthday cake are gone, too. I was 100% on plan yesterday and was the crabbiest person ever because I couldn't have the junk food I got accustomed to eating. I gained 3 pounds in a week, so the junk had to go. :angry:

The good news is my first try at a whole wheat sourdough bread was a success. It's denser than a white flour loaf, but it had a good rise and good flavor. I added a couple of tablespoons of vital wheat gluten to help it along, but other than that just sourdough, wheat flour, salt, and water. It was good with apples this morning. The apples, however, weren't great. They are a bit on the old side and have been in the crisper too long. I swear they had a pickled aftertaste. Which is totally bizarre as I don't have pickles in my fridge.

Lunch will be rice topped with spicy pinto beans. Dinner a salad topped with veggie leftovers from the fridge. I need to get to the store and stock up on the good stuff.
keithswife

Postby Michele613 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Got a chuckle out of your post as I so relate....."I want what I want and more of it once I get accustomed to breaking all of the rules and my hubby doesn't know which way to go: feed me the junk or encourage me to eat right against my weakened self who doesn't want any part of healthy eating 'at that moment'. He's in a no win situation while I'm acting like my 5 year old self.

Glad you've turned the tide. Good for you. Start anew....get the right food back in the house and ONWARD! You can do this!!!
Michele613

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals