Journal for Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal for Health

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:09 pm

It really is nice when company leaves....so sad to say, :D .

I too am a sourdough bread baker. Right now I can't wait till fall and winter are here so I can turn on the oven. When it's so hot I just can't do it, but now I'm realizing I need to at least play with my starter. Maybe waffles are in order or something.

I like my bread with almond butter (alas, not having that right now), or avocado (um, same problem), but homemade hummus and sprouts are also divine.

Enjoy.
AnnetteW

Postby keithswife » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 am

AnnetteW wrote:I too am a sourdough bread baker. Right now I can't wait till fall and winter are here so I can turn on the oven. When it's so hot I just can't do it, but now I'm realizing I need to at least play with my starter. Maybe waffles are in order or something.

I like my bread with almond butter (alas, not having that right now), or avocado (um, same problem), but homemade hummus and sprouts are also divine.

Enjoy.

I love making sourdough bread. There's just something about making and feeding the starter, then seeing it come to life in bread that feels so earthy. I think sourdough does better with a lighter flour. My whole wheat loaf is dense, but makes for a substantial breakfast when I pair it with fruit. I like mine topped with natural peanut butter, but in light of the company induced weight gain, I've been using fruit preserves.
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby viv » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi Annette,

Re the Alzheimer's concern I know what you mean. Today someone asked for my phone number and I just blanked out for a moment!

Make sure you are taking your B12. The signs of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia can mirror the symptoms of a vitamin B12 deficiency. So make sure you are supplementing and your levels are in the mid to high end of the range, (a normal level of vitamin B12 in your blood is between 190 and 950 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL). I take 1000 mcg daily.

Also Alzheimers is associated with inflammation and of course the best anti inflammatory diet is the McDougall Diet, plant based with no added oils. All animal foods especially dairy are very inflammatory.

I noticed also that my brain is much better after I started ballroom dancing again after many years, it's made a tremendous difference to my cognition and mood. Exercise you enjoy is so important. And you have a wonderful horse you can ride, how lucky are you!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 am

Viv, I don't have a horse, so you probably got me mixed up with Keithswife. That's cool.

Funny how a few of us all have the alzheimers concern. When I had my b-12 tested for the first time a few months ago it was around 200, so on the lower end. I have started supplementing with the spray, 1-2 sprays a day. My brain activities include sewing, and complex knitting patterns. We also take dance classes.
AnnetteW

Postby keithswife » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 am

Yes, Viv, I'm the crazy horse lady. :D

But in all seriousness, I fear Alzheimer's more than anything else. Both My Dad's mom and my mom's mom died from it. My Uncle came down with it in his early 60's (I believe he had 2 copies of the gene due to family history), and now at an age where he should be enjoying a well-earned retirement, he's forgotten everyone and everything and lives in a care facility. I was raised by my mother's mom and cared for her at the end of her life, even though she too had to be moved to a care facility. Unlike everything else this McDougall way of eating can cure (heart disease, diabetes), dementia is still a "maybe". My great-grandfather was skinny as a rail and worked hard and was in shape his whole life. His favorite hobby was chopping and stacking wood. :shock: He ate no processed foods ever, and never overate at all. Food wasn't his thing, and yet, he died of Alzheimer's too.

So, I think my best course of action is to stack the deck as much as I can in my favor and try not to live in fear. I believe that McDougall's program is the best chance there is at staving off this horrible disease or at least prolonging cognitive function for as long as I can. I make sure I get in my blueberries and leafy green veggies and exercise. Hopefully, science will find a cure in my lifetime.
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Reviving my old journal. I've been off the program for a while. My hubby joined weight watchers and I've been doing it with him for support. After two months, hubby is looking svelt and fitting into pants he hasn't worn for years. Me, after starving myself eating no more than 1000-1200 calories a day (and complaining and whining about it to all and sundry), I lost two pounds. I wish I was kidding. :mad: I've mentioned before that I come from sturdy Irish stock, and my genetics sensed that I must be in another potato famine and held on to my fat for all its worth. Needless to say, I quit in disgust. I promised hubby I'll support him as much as I can, but I'm going back to McDougalling. The new goal is to regain my health and build and exercise routine. I clogged up all my guts eating processed food on the weight watchers diet, so hoping to clear that up asap. :oops:

At least with hubby still doing his diet, most of the junk food is out of the house, and we barely go out to eat these days. Plus, anything Mcdougall legal I make will mean more food and fewer WW points for him.

I'll be making a plan in the morning. I can't wait to get started. I've really missed the good food.
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:17 am

Hi Serene. Thanks for the encouragement. I sure need it :-D

I'm already off plan for the day as I let myself get too hungry and didn't make myself a proper breakfast. Instead, I grabbed a protein bar (which was gross, but I ate it anyway), and a coffee with half n half. Forgot to put non-dairy milk on my shopping list. :oops:

I found a pdf I think I downloaded from pcrm that had a power plate example for beginners of what to eat for lunch and dinner. Basically, you divide your plate into 4 sections. The sections are filled with a portion each of fruit, vegetables, starch or grains, and legumes. For breakfast, I'll use a template of grains and fruit. I probably won't do this all the time, but it will be enough to get me started until I figure things out more.

Here's my plan for today:

B: protein bar and non-compliant coffee
L: brown rice, stir fry with added white beans, banana
D: diced red skin potatoes, white beans, sugar snap peas, cooked apples

Exercise: 20 minute Leslie Sansone walk workout
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:18 am

Lunch was the only compliant meal I had yesterday. I never got around to making dinner, and my guys ordered pizza, so ... :oops:

And the pizza reminded me mightily why I need to stay away from dairy products.

Trying to scrub out the bathtub reminded me why I need to start strength training. I think I lost a lot of muscle of my weight watchers starvation diet. :cry:

Today is a brand new day, and I am grateful to have it. This morning I am off to a much better start and had a great breakfast. If the weather holds, I hope to sneak in some horseback riding.

Todays Eats:

Lots of coffee with soy milk

B: bulgur and cooked blueberries
L: Leftover stir fry
D: The dinner I didn't make yesterday
keithswife

Postby Ejeff » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 am

Next time when they order pizza, order yourself a veggie one without cheese that’s what I do. :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby keithswife » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Ejeff wrote:Next time when they order pizza, order yourself a veggie one without cheese that’s what I do. :-D

That would have been the smart thing to do. I will be sure to do that next time.

I have this weight watchers knock off app I've been using to make hubby his diet meals. I just realized that I can tweak it a bit to track my McDougall meals. I need to make sure I'm keeping my fiber intake up and my calories down. I can also track my exercise and weigh in's. Anything to help me be more accountable. I've become an expert in lying to myself about how much I am really eating, and about how poor of shape I'm in.

I'm making my meal plan for the week. Now that Thanksgiving is over, it's time to get back to the program. :D
keithswife

Postby keithswife » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:17 pm

It's so nice to be back on track. My digestive track is protesting the heavy holiday meals and is pretty much at a standstill :oops: .

I've made 3 new goals as to what I hope to accomplish with McDougalling. 1. I want to cure my IBS. I've been miserable for years. 2. I hope to improve my fitness level through exercise and 3. I hope my inflammation goes down to ease my arthritis pain. I wanted more tangible goals instead of the usual weight loss and prevent Alzheimer's disease. Although, those would be a wonderful bonus.

I overslept this morning, so my morning exercise plan didn't happen. The day is too full of work and errands to squeeze a workout in. However, I did prepare good food for the day. Here's today's plan:

B: coffee with 1/4 c soy milk and 1/2 T maple syrup (kinda like a latte)

L; Stir fry over brown rice, with added corn for extra calories.

D: veggie chili with cornbread, if I get home in time to make it.
keithswife

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals