On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Random Thoughts on the Potato Waffle

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi,

So, I haven't counted calories since I started this journey (and rarely ever did prior to that). Not even sure how many calories I burn through in a typical day (blissfully ignorant :-D )…

I do love the potato waffle and have recently come to the conclusion that more than one potato waffle per day falls right in with this plan. (Duh?) The potato waffle rates as one of my favorite foods.

I noticed on the bag of Trader Joe's shredded potatoes that a whole bag contains 7 servings - at 60 calories per serving with zero fat - 420 total calories. I make 4 waffles / out of the bag (usually 4 breakfasts) - so for me, it's 105 calories per potato waffle (still no fat).

Today I got sassy and had 3 potato waffles (1 at breakfast, 1 at lunch, 1 for snack). It felt sinful (so delicious) -- but really is not. 315 calories with no fat. Satisfying. Yummy.

I may go crazy like this again... :D (but I will not go back to review the math...)

So cool to have a favorite food that is MWL compliant!!! Woot!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby Idgie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Me, tooooo! I eat them a lot. I am so glad these boards alerted me to such a great find.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:31 pm

Idgie wrote:Me, tooooo! I eat them a lot. I am so glad these boards alerted me to such a great find.

Awesome, Idgie! Me too -- on finding this at the boards. So glad we have this forum and can share!!! :mrgreen:

VegSeekingFit

Maintenance - Week 6

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi,

Don't have much time to post today - so will keep this short and sweet.

Habit wise, I'm mainly doing well.
* Continuing to focus on minimally processed starch centered meals with no oil adding fruit and veggies.
* Love the food. Have even found some new favorites.
* Have snacked (again) on pretzels (and peanuts) a few times. Need to focus on snacking on whole foods only.
* Continuing to exercise a bit each day. Need to focus on duration (it's fallen off).

For the week, I have gained 1.4 lbs. - up to 115.2. It is over maintenance range that I set (by 1.2 lbs.). However, I'm not squishing out of my clothes or anything like that. :lol: So, I "see" opportunity to make some changes, but not freaking out.

Will be working consciously to lower calorie density a bit this upcoming week and to spend more time walking. Hopefully, that does the trick!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Maintenance - Week 7

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi,

Finally - on Friday when I weighed in -- was -0- change from prior week. So, 115.2 lbs. it is. Was above what I thought would be maintenance range by 1.2 lbs. Not enough to care... the range can change... My clothes fit fine and I feel great....

Just trying to keep on with mainly minimally processed MWL diet and continue some exercise - to find best maintainable weight. That doesn't mean the lightest that I can weigh... and I'm not perfect... going for 85-90%. So there.... :D

This week have tried to be more positive and focus on foods that I love the most that are simple. Not much that I love more than a potato waffle. Or red lentil chili. Or split pea soup. Or smashed pinto beans (which are a newly discovered love....)... So, instead of saying "no snacks" have been having a bit of soup or beans or potato or rice in the PM when I am hankering for something before bed.

Consequently, have reduced the pretzel / peanut snacking fiasco (although not yet completely eliminated)...

Have also made sure to do a few longer walks (treadmill now) in the AM.

Made Red Lentil Chili on the stove (instead of crock pot) for the first time today. Made up a recipe and it was delicious (lots of leftovers!)...

28 oz NSA crushed tomatoes
14.5 oz. NSA chopped tomatoes
6 oz. NSA tomato paste
16 oz. red lentils
7 c. water
1.5 onions chopped
2 bell peppers chopped

1 jalapeno chopped
Garlic
1.5 c. corn

Chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin - lots
Browned the garlic/onion/peppers in soup pot
Added other ingredients (except corn) and simmered for an hour
Added corn about 5 minutes before done simmering
Delicious!!! :cool:

At the risk of sounding pushy... If you are in the US and haven't voted yet, go out and vote tomorrow. Engage! Get your family and friends to vote too. If you don't know what you're voting for, Google is your friend. Don't sit on the sidelines.

VegSeekingFit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 am

Hmmm, a lentil chili recipe. Gonna give it a whirl!

Looks like you've hit your body's best weight...well done! And yay for potato waffles. Gosh that sounds good for dinner tonight!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

2019 and onward

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi,

I wanted to post an update -- with last posts to my journal, maybe folks think that I crashed and burned by pretzel / peanut... :)

So, I did have a couple of weeks in early November where I didn't post because I didn't have anything new to say. I was mainly maintaining, but tempted by the pretzel / peanut snack monster.... But, was consistent with mainly unprocessed and exercise in the AM....

Have struggled emotionally with life over the holidays where my mom's condition has changed - with a rapid decline - and she has sadly passed away. I am heartbroken, but know that she is in a better place.

I have confirmed that I am not a volume eater and extreme sadness makes me almost have to force myself to eat. Got through it with potato, rice, banana - sometimes toast too. So, not MWL compliant, but the best I could do. Didn't exercise consistently as I was with her as much as possible. Ate some things that weren't on plan, but just had to eat …. like Cliff bar, animal crackers.... not things I care to eat again...

Weight wise, went down to 109 - which Is ok, but makes me seem comparatively skinny and folks want to feed me...

Anyway, I look forward to changing from a little black raincloud to a normal human shortly. I plan to continue to maintain habits. Need to go back to slow cooker - which I haven't been able to due to unreliability of when I may be home. I will continue to weigh on Fridays, but that isn't my focus - just to stay under 117. Primary goals for me in 2019 are to find daily things to be grateful for and take opportunities (or create opportunities) to reach out. I want to help others and make at least one person smile each day...

Best to you all,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Yomom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:53 pm

Stephanie
Condolences on the death of your beloved mother.
Kathy
Yomom

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi Stephanie,

I've been wondering where you were... I'm so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were able to be with your mom which is always a blessing.

It's great that you are keeping it together regarding your food. You are taking good care of yourself. And, I love your intention to try to make someone smile each day. I'm sure you will succeed at that. You made me smile today. :)

Moonlight
moonlight

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:10 am

Stephanie,

My thoughts are with you and my condolences on the loss of your mother. Your positive attitude for the new year is very inspiring and I really wish you the best moving forward and processing everything. Take care and be well.
Mark Cooper

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:43 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. My heart hurts for you.

Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Daydream » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:07 pm

Stephanie, I'm so sorry about your mom. My mom died 2 years ago and I'm still grieving--I miss her so much! I'm sending you hugs.
Daydream

Postby Michele613 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:45 am

Hi Stephanie, I am a newbie at posting. Joined the 2019 MWL thread and hope to reach my goal too as you did. I've enjoyed reading your posts.

I too want to extend condolences on the passing, not loss, of your mother. They are always with us in one form or another though their physical presence is truly missed. Let your head fill with her words and your mental screen with happy memories....play them forever and feel that contented, happy peace of having had a mother to be remembered.

I hope your spirits are more up these days so that your physical health does not suffer as well. You are inspiring and giving. Keep it up. Thanks.
Michele613

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:38 am

Stephanie, so sorry to learn of your mom's passing. Very difficult around the holidays, I'm sure. Glad that you are keeping to your healthy habits.

many blessings,

Heidi
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Thank you

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi,

Wanted to send a heartfelt thank you and virtual hug to Kathy, Moonlight, Mark, Lindsey, Daydream, Michele, and Heidi.

I appreciate your sympathy and support more than you can imagine.

This has been a really rough time and I am working through it - one day at a time.

Will keep my next posts to McD-ing… with focus on maintaining good habits and creating better focus on people / happiness, etc. I am all in for this year.

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals