On the Road to Better Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: On the Road to Better Health

Postby Idgie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:21 pm

This is exactly how I approach things, and it's nice to see someone at maintenance with the same kind of mindset. I don't have a goal weight. I have goal behaviors. I want them to be as natural as breathing: cooking and eating plant foods without fat; moving my body in reasonable ways; minimizing salt and sugar (I don't eliminate them, but they're not a huge problem for me); etc.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Idgie wrote:This is exactly how I approach things, and it's nice to see someone at maintenance with the same kind of mindset. I don't have a goal weight. I have goal behaviors. I want them to be as natural as breathing: cooking and eating plant foods without fat; moving my body in reasonable ways; minimizing salt and sugar (I don't eliminate them, but they're not a huge problem for me); etc.

Hi Idgie! :-D
Love your approach!! "I want them to be as natural as breathing" is impactful!! Wishing you the best on your journey!!

Have the same goal behaviors. I also am minimizing salt and sugar. I rarely eat added sugar (so not problem for me), but have been adding minimal salt after cooking sometimes (buying mainly NSA products and minimizing processed foods - so 1000X better than when I started)...

We've go this!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

This Week

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi,

Welcoming in fall... thinking of pumpkins.... (and burning leaves and beautiful colors....)… :-D

Anyway, this week I mainly ate the following:

Breakfast: Potato waffle + Mashed Beans (used Mary McDougall's Mashed Pinto Bean recipe - tried also with black beans - yum!) - sometimes also raw veggie and / or fruit (today was peaches + cherries)

Lunch: Red Lentil Chili (almost every day - still my favorite meal) + raw veggie and / or fruit (for work, brought honeydew + cantaloupe combo each day) -- sometimes had small serving of potato or rice also

Dinner: Mainly potato + other veggies (one night had some of the mushroom gravy, a couple nights had Split Pea Soup)

Snacks: Raw fruit / veggies

Other: No meals eaten out.
MWL Anomalies: Had a serving of hummus with the veggies for one snack. Had a piece of whole wheat bread with the Split Pea Soup one night. Had the mushroom gravy (OMG so good) one night over potato.

Exercise:
Not as great as in the summer. But, consistent and met 4.5 hour / week walking goal. Had 1 "rest" day (tired) and 3 treadmill days. Today was a wonderful, sunny fall 1 hour walk outside in the afternoon. I struggle with the dark and cooler mornings - love to walk and will continue, but as the weather changes, more will be on the treadmill. For October, going to have some type of motivation for distance (or something) to keep on - happily until weather / sun are better in the AM.

Maintenance:
First week in a really long time where weight is the same as last week. Holding at 111.8 lbs. Happy with that.
Did not focus so much on increasing vegetables this week. Did still eat a lot of vegetables, just not more than I have in past.
Stress at work (and obligations at home) has me wanting to keep the status quo. Calling that success.

Goals:
Had a really easy one for September on creating a food / shopping list that I haven't done. Will post later this week.

Quote of the Day:
"Ob la di, ob-la-da, life goes on, bra
La-la, how the life goes on
Ob-la di, ob-la-da, life goes on, bra
La-la, how the life goes on

And if you want some fun, sing ob-la-di, bla-da " - The Beatles

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 am

Congratulations on maintaining!!! I think that's probably more of a challenge than losing weight. Good for you! I love your song for the week. :) You are inspiring me to make chili. Your recipes always sound so good!
moonlight

Postby Jennie1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:04 am

Hi Stephanie,

You seem to eat pretty healthy. What has been your motivation for eating so well? Has posting on Mcdougall's discussion board helped with that?

Jennie
Jennie1

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:33 pm

moonlight wrote:Congratulations on maintaining!!! I think that's probably more of a challenge than losing weight. Good for you! I love your song for the week. :) You are inspiring me to make chili. Your recipes always sound so good!

Hi Moonlight! :-D

Thank you for your support!! I'm probably not yet at the point where it's more of a challenge... Just doing the same stuff... (although I have been lazy this weekend about exercise...)

Would love to hear if you make chili and your recipe!! While not ready for the fall weather, love the food -- and ready for another chili recipe!! Yummy!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 pm

Jennie1 wrote:Hi Stephanie,

You seem to eat pretty healthy. What has been your motivation for eating so well? Has posting on Mcdougall's discussion board helped with that?

Jennie

Hi Jennie! :)

Sorry in advance if I am long-winded. These are important questions. Always great to re-visit motivations...

Eating Healthy - I've been no animal products for over 15 years with fruit / veggie / starch being part of most of my meals. However, not minimally processed until this year. Have evolved diet over this year to eliminate oil in all forms and to select unprocessed fruit / veggie / starch for meals (and most of food intake). For instance, I used to eat Amy's Tofu Scramble Pocket with Very Vanilla Silk Soymilk and a Banana for breakfast every day (last year). Was wonderful! Now, I make real tofu scramble once a month with tons of veggies and I have eliminated the Soymilk. 95% of the time, I have potato waffle + beans + fruit / veggie for breakfast (nothing that comes in a package)... Note that I'm not a volume eater, but a bad choices person...

Motivation- I went regular "McD" over 15 years ago to stop what I thought was a recurrence of JRA (maybe in the form of RA based on age). For better or worse, the removal of animal products "stopped that" and I went on merrily eating processed vegan food (feeling pretty good for several years).

Over this time, I ate high calorie density (with no idea of portions for some high calorie density bombs... ) Loved dried fruit, tofu, processed vegan food, guacamole, granola, peanut butter (always loved that)!

Last year, I felt terrible - physically and mentally. Over the years, accepted that age resulted in weight gain (several pounds per decade). Had not been "heavy-ish" until post- 30... This past year (at 50 and overweight)I really just wanted to feel better and knew that McD would help. (understatement!!) I feel like I've "defeated" perimenopause... (HA!) and mentally I feel much more like a regular person again (instead of sad and lacking hope...)

My other current motivation is fear - plain and simple. My mom is in a nursing home and completely immobile. Has been for almost 4 years - no wheelchair mobility - just in bed. My heart breaks (again) each time that I visit her ... I am fiercely independent and cannot even imagine this situation. It is beyond unthinkable and I want to do whatever it takes to be in control of not having a similar outcome later in life.

Discussion Board- YES!! This has helped me immeasurably! (Thank you Dr. McD, Mary, Jeff N.!) Early this year, I lurked. I journaled on paper. I thought I knew what this program was about. I lost some weight (slowly)...

Then, I started this journal. I started to read more of the free resources on the board. Particularly helpful to me were: Jeff Novick's Calorie Density video, McD's Maximum weight loss newsletter, Jeff N's video on oil - de-bunking the Pam nutrition info (I bought parchment paper), Doug Lisle's webcasts -- lots of old threads (journals, success stories, other posts )... I lost weight a little faster...

Participating in MWL thread (while still journaling). Wonderful, supportive people - great facilitator (Amy!! ). From different perspectives with the same goal. Lost the weight remaining, but still will participate to further ingrain the habits.

If you haven't fallen asleep yet... wishing you the best!! If I can (start) to do it, then anyone can....

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Must Have on Hand Foods

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi,

So, I'm going to list the food that I need to keep on hand to remain on program. This is one of my goals for the month and will take the form of a grocery list... Ultimately a timesaver!! :-D Some of the foods aren't MWL compliant -- and I might not eat them much, but if they are listed - then I want to at least know that they are there, if needed.

Had thought of doing this by where it's stored (i.e., freezer, refrigerator, pantry)… but thinking more to go by the type of food.

I do eat more that this, but these are "must have in stock"...

Potatoes:

Fresh: Yukon gold, russet
Frozen: Shredded hash browns (for potato waffle!), Diced Potatoes O'Brien

Rice:
Pantry: Basmati, jasmine brown rice
Shelf-stable brown rice (microwaveable bowls)
Frozen: TJ's organic brown rice

Corn:
Frozen: Frozen corn!!

Beans:
Pantry: Assorted dried beans (black, pinto, garbanzo + more),
Canned NSA beans (kidney, Great Northern, Pinto, Black, Garbanzo)
Assorted dried other (red lentils, split peas, other)

Other starch:
Pantry: Oatmeal (Quaker Old Fashioned, TJ steel cut), Bob's Red Mill whole grain cereal, McD black bean + rice cups, whole grain ramen noodles, assorted other
Freezer: TJ Quinoa

Fruit:
Freezer: Cherries, peaches, blueberries, raspberries
Refrigerator: Honeydew melon, cantaloupe, apple, orange, grapes, in season other
Pantry: Bananas

Veggies:
Freezer: Assorted packages of frozen veggies (stir fry, bell peppers)
Refrigerator: Mushrooms, crudites (carrots, celery, radishes, cucumber); cut red onions; bell pepper; assorted hot pepper (jalapeno, chili, cubanelle)
Pantry - fresh: Tomatoes (whole large); Tomatoes (grape, cherry); onions
Canned: NSA chopped tomatoes, NSA crushed tomatoes, NSA tomato paste, pumpkin

Soup mix:
Dehydrated stuff from Harmony House - Split pea, lentil couscous, veggie soup

Condiments / Spices:
Refrigerator - Frank's Red Hot sauce, tahini, low sodium tamari, garlic
Pantry - Italian spices, taco seasoning, no-salt seasoning, cinnamon (ground & sticks), cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprka, smoked paprika, rosemary, ginger, garlic salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, tumeric

Other:
Popcorn - have a canister of this in case of emergency
Whole wheat flour - for mushroom gravy & son's pumpkin muffins
Brown sugar -hardly ever use, but to make homemade muffins
Tea bags (herbal, de-caffeinated)
Water - carbonated (like LaCroix)

OK, will review again tomorrow in case I forgot something...

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Maintenance - Week 2

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi,

Wow, it's been a crazy week! Too much to do, too little time. This has been a "yellow flag" for me in the past. I have to say that I am doing ok with most of the basic habits to eat close to MWL (because easy to do and quick / easy recipes) and make time for some exercise, but not stellar. Glad my goal isn't to be stellar.... just to carry on...

Have reverted back to 1-2 cups black coffee in the morning. I know this isn't on plan, but I feel better. Giving it up (for me) was fine over the summer. No problem. However, I am not "bright eyed and bushy tailed" in the colder, darker fall mornings without it -- and I am also not as excited about exercising indoors (but I am doing it .... just shorter and not as enjoyable). Guess the perfect thing would be to move closer to the equator, but reasons now that I cannot... :lol: So, I am forgiving myself for my coffee and may re-visit at some later date.

For maintenance, going with "time and adherence" focusing on habits surrounding - food, exercise, accountability and measuring outcome (weekly weight + "how I feel" - qualitative).

My goals are:
1) Eat mainly MWL - minimally processed starch-centered diet with veggies and fruit - mainly MWL, with 3 or less regular McD compliant exceptions (also, fruit sometimes exceeds the limit)
2) Exercise regularly - goal is 4.5 hours per week of AM walking
3) Be accountable - recap week in journal and / or MWL thread
4) Weigh in weekly and log; review weekly challenges / opportunities and consider/ try alternative approaches
5) Time and adherence.... :)

Food:
I am really pretty boring and ate very similar to last week (and prior weeks). I have added more frozen fruit this week (as fresh stone fruits out of season...).

B: Potato waffle + Mashed Beans (Mary McD recipe - alternated Pinto or Black beans) - usually + fruit and / or raw veggie

L: Red lentil chili + fruit (usually honeydew melon + cantaloupe) + raw veggies (usually bell pepper or tomatoes)

D: Potato or rice and / or corn + veggies - one night had mushroom gravy, two nights had split pea soup

Snacks: Rice, potato, raw veggies, fruit

Meals out: Had dinner out at Benihana's last night for my son's birthday. Not compliant, but tried to stay on the ranch. I ordered edamame, miso soup, rice, tofu (comes with other stuff). Ate all of the steamed edamame, miso soup and mainly filled up. Had a small bit of the rice and the tofu. Ironically, the veggies that come with are likely the most not compliant. Made with BUTTER (they fry on the table). Did not eat or take home.

Other MWL anomalies: One night mushroom gravy, 2X had pretzels (worked late and falling into the pretzel Pleasure trap), hummus with raw veggies one day. Added potato / rice "snack" to try to nip this pretzel munching thing in the bud (DUH to me!!).

Exercise:
Doing it. Like (but not love) as I am now mainly walking inside. Not a fan of the dark - not a fan of the cold. Happy to do 30 minutes each weekday morning - with an hour on the weekends. This is less than I was doing in the pleasant weather. Need to watch.

Maintenance goals:
1) Food - have done well with following habits built this year
2) Exercise - consistent and within goals (although have reduced duration in cooler weather)
3) Accountability - have logged!! :D
4) Review weekly challenges / opportunities and consider/ try alternative approaches - trying to be creative and objective... like this week was my pretzel issue -- next week I will not eat a single pretzel :)
5) Time and adherence - WIP / week 2

Outcome:
I am at 111.0 this morning. So, that is .8 lbs. lost this week and puts me in the bottom part of 111-114 range that I set. (Is it the right range? I think so, but if I lose a bit more, good with that....)
I feel good - a little stressed with a lot going on and a jam packed work schedule. Trying to keep calm and carry on.

Quote of the Day:

"Sing...
Sing a song
Sing out loud
Sing out strong

Sing of good things, not bad
Sing of happy, not sad

Sing...
Sing a song
Make it simple
To last your whole life long

Don't worry that it's not good enough
For anyone else to hear

Sing ...
Sing a song ..." - The Carpenters (or Big Bird! )

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Maintenance - Week 3

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi,

I'm struggling with maintenance a bit this week. Some habits ingrained (YEAH!) but new "snack monster" foe to contend with. Also, feeling less motivated to jump out of bed earlier to walk (dark and colder). Have continued to have stress at work (big project at critical time period, with meetings 8-9 hours a day without break 2-4 days / week and then work to be done....)… other stress at home - little time. (so, a bit of feeling sorry for myself here...)

Have done well with walking on treadmill consistently (shorter duration) each morning and keeping to starch centered no oil minimally processed meals with veggies and fruits. Have used my food needed on hand list a couple of posts above to keep compliant food readily available. Continue to love the meals. Continue to use the slow cooker.

However, have let the pretzel monster into my life (mainly at work). Co-worker has a huge Costco sized jug of these (0% fat, but pure CRAP) -- and I think I mentally "feel hungry" and reach for them. Only thing that "saves" me is that I'm not a volume eater - so usually a handful (maybe 1/2 c.?) is consumed. But, this is not what I did to lose weight and not how I intended to proceed.

So, for this week -- will say NO to any food that is not MWL compliant. Zero. Need to re-set. Had intended to have 2-3 McD (but not MWL) compliant foods / week (as I did when losing weight). Knew that some foods were forever out for me (peanut butter, guacamole, etc..) Now, I have to put pretzels on that list too. Apparently, cannot be a rational food. I can't disgust myself with a pretzel itself (as it is easy to do with lots of other non-compliant foods)... So, will use the mental image of myself at 40 lbs. heavier -- which is where I am headed if I don't STOP NOW!

Weekly Food:
Still pretty boring... (but love it!)

B: Potato waffle + Mashed Beans (Mary McD recipe - alternated Pinto or Black beans) - usually + fruit and / or raw veggie

L: Red lentil chili + fruit (usually honeydew melon + cantaloupe) + raw veggies (usually bell pepper or tomatoes)

D: Potato or rice and / or corn + veggies - two nights had split pea soup

Snacks: Rice, potato, fruit --- pretzels...

Meals out: None

Other MWL anomalies: Pretzels (mainly at work). Had peanuts once (at home)… thanks, pretzels for giving me that Brainiac idea... Have been packing potato / rice "snack" to try to nip this pretzel munching thing in the bud (planning o batch cook some potatoes this weekend).

Exercise:
Walked on treadmill every morning. Less time than was walking outside on weekdays (not jumping out of bed in the dark). On weekends, not a problem - doing 60 minutes. May look for some other outlets for the winter (thinking racquetball or tennis - would need to find a place to do it)... played HS tennis and some as an adult (loved and have some proficiency)... have no skills in racquetball (but maybe could learn... )

Maintenance goals:
1) Food - kept meal habits on track, need to nip in the bud newly acquired bad snacking habits :mad:
2) Exercise - consistent and within goals - would like to ramp it back up
3) Accountability - have logged honestly
4) Review weekly challenges / opportunities and consider/ try alternative approaches - - trying to revise approach to go back to basics
5) Time and adherence - WIP / week 3 (need a re-set to remove CRAP snacking)

Outcome:
I am at 112.8 this morning. So, that is 1.8 lbs. GAINED this week... while still in maintenance range (111-114) I am calling a code blue and will NOT let myself ruin health built year-to-date (and replace good habits with slippery slope ones that if unchecked will put me right back in OVERWEIGHT category).

Not sure why it seems so much harder to just keep on than it was to lose... (psychological??)

Onward!!

Quote of the Day:
"You're out of luck
And the reason that you had to care
The traffic is stuck
And you're not moving anywhere

You thought you'd found a friend
To take you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand
In return for grace...

It's a beautiful day
Sky falls, you feel like
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away...

Touch me
Take me to that other place
Teach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case...

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
What you don't have you don't need it now
Don't need it now..." - U2

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:12 am

I'm right there with you, Stephanie! In some ways it feels like maintenance is harder than just trying to lose! I think it will just take a bit of time and experimentation for both of us to find the sweet spot for maintaining & it seems like you have a good plan. BTW, pretzels are also one of my "can't eat" foods, even the reasonable compliant ones - I have a really hard time stopping once I start and I am generally a volume eater, so I could probably down half a bag in one sitting!

Here's to a great week of banishing the SNACK Monster! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:I'm right there with you, Stephanie! In some ways it feels like maintenance is harder than just trying to lose! I think it will just take a bit of time and experimentation for both of us to find the sweet spot for maintaining & it seems like you have a good plan. BTW, pretzels are also one of my "can't eat" foods, even the reasonable compliant ones - I have a really hard time stopping once I start and I am generally a volume eater, so I could probably down half a bag in one sitting!

Here's to a great week of banishing the SNACK Monster! :D

Hi Mark! :)

Thanks for your comment!! So, glad to not be all alone with this maintenance challenge... Agree with time and experimentation, can get it right!!

I think that I just plain old dropped my guard and let in SNACK monster... So, done with that !!!

Let's make a pact to avoid those pretzels!! :lol: (but I'm not sure that's what's making maintenance harder for you though?... )

Wishing you the best on your journey!! Your meals always sound compliant!! So, I think you have this for sure!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Omg... I just wrote a long post and poof it is gone... :cry: I don't know if I have it in me to re-create....

VegSeekingFit

Postby Idgie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Oh, bummer!! Hope that writing it out at least helped you on a personal level.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Idgie wrote:Oh, bummer!! Hope that writing it out at least helped you on a personal level.

Thanks, Idgie… Was therapeutic for sure... :) Probably other posts I've made may have been better to go up in smoke. :mrgreen:

Will try to do a Cliff Note version...

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals