Adventures in Eating

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Adventures in Eating

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Tonight for dinner we had sushi at my daughter’s request. I cook up a huge batch of sushi rice in the instant pot, season with sushi vinegar, then get to rolling! Fillings tonight were carrot, cucumber, avocado and cooked spinach. I’ve also used sweet potato and tempeh. All are delicious. We serve it with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi.

On the side I served seasoned mung bean sprouts and miso soup. I TOTALLY FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE.

We went to the international grocery store today and got stocked up on yummy stuff. The meal plan for the next few days include taco night (again!), stir fry, maybe brown rice congee with Bok Choy, naenmeyon, and mixing up two kinds of kimchi. I also roasted three delicata squash, and am about to make another batch of that vegetable soup.

Oh yes, Trader Joe’s has delicata squash on sale for 99 cents each. Stock up while you can!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:19 pm

I made a batch of [url=https://youtu.be/hK_dLy5mRxs]Charro Beans[/url] from Well Your World for dinner. His recipe calls for 3 pounds of dried beans, which is way too big a batch for me, so I cut it down to a 1 pound batch.

It turned out surprisingly bland. I substituted roasted poblanos for the jalepenos, and added smoked paprika, so I was a bit surprised about the lack of flavor. I’m going to play around with it a bit, maybe it just needs some liquid smoke. I served it on white rice with fresh pico de gallo on top, so maybe that is why. Despite the blandness, I’ll more than likely make it again. Good thing I didn’t make 3 pounds!

[img]https://flic.kr/p/PKmHhy[/img]

CHARRO BEANS
1 lb dried pinto beans
1 onion diced
1 poblano chili, roasted and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp coriander
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 bay leaf
1 small can tomato sauce, no salt added

Toss everything EXCEPT tomato sauce in the instant pot, add water to fill up to the 6 cup line, and cook on manual for 30 minutes, NPR. When done, add in tomato sauce and stir to combine.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:29 pm

We’ve done taco night twice this week, and actually had Taco Tuesday on a Tuesday!

Image 1

But really, the star of the show was the roasted delicata squash. This squash is only available seasonally, and I must repeat from an earlier post:
Trader Joe’s has delicata squash on sale for 99¢!! Stock up!

Image 2

They are so easy and delicious, just slice in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and slime, slice one inch thick, then roast on a silpat or piece of parchment for 350°F, flipping after about 30 minutes. Cool until fork tender, I have no idea how long, maybe another 30 minutes?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby jamietwo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Mmmm! Roasted vegetables sound good! :) I love your food pictures! You makes some amazing meals! Oh no! I'm getting hungry for real food! lol
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby moonlight » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Lyndsey,
I meant to comment on the picture of the Habit app you posted in the monthly weigh-in group but forgot. Thanks for posting that. I think I'm going to try it. :) I love all these recipes you post in your journal! I'm going to try some. Take care!
moonlight

Postby Caroveggie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Yummmmm! All those pics! You are making me want to cook more!
Caroveggie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi Jamie and Caroveggie! Good to hear the habit tracker tip is helpful, Moonlight. It’s really helping me get an honest reflection of how I’m doing.

I keep not posting stuff because I can’t add the pics on my phone, but have fallen asleep early every single night and haven’t gotten a chance to sit down at an actual computer. So, hopefully I get a chance to add the pics later. This has turned into my recipe storage system, and I just use the search feature to find recipes. So easy!

At our last pitch in I made a pumpkin bundt cake. I had gotten a silicone bundt cake pan and was itching to use it. I was struggling to find a recipe with no oil when I came across a tip to substitute vegan yogurt, so I gave it a try and it totally worked! Rave reviews and requests for the recipe. This would be good to take to Thanksgiving with mixed eaters and see their shock and awe that it doesn’t taste like cardboard.

I used soy milk because someone had a nut allergy, but I’m sure other alternative milks and yogurts would work just fine.

PUMPKIN BUNDT CAKE
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 cup soy milk
6 oz vanilla soy yogurt
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin

Mix dry ingredients together. Combine wet ingredients. Mix wet into dry. Pour into bundt pan (I used silicone*). Bake at 325°F for 50-60 min.

*the silicone pan needs some support, but also needs proper air circulation, so set the mold on a wire rack for getting in and out of the oven. A baking sheet will cause uneven cooking.

MAPLE GLAZE
Store together 1 cup confectioners sugar with 1/4 cup maple syrup. Pour over cooled cake.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:20 pm

Tonight we had homemade bread, carrot ginger soup and yellow potatoes. I realized when I was making the soup that carrots aren’t very filling, so I quickly threw some potatoes in the instant pot to add some heft to the meal. I abhor cooked carrots, but love them as a soup. The secret to success is to peel the carrots. The peels have a bitter flavor that will overwhelm the soup. Trust me on this, just take the two minutes and peel the carrots.

CARROT GINGER SOUP
2 lbs carrots, peeled
1-2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 onion, rough chop (optional)
1-2 cloves garlic (optional)
Water

Put all ingredients in a pot with just enough water (you can always add more later). Simmer until veggies are soft. Purée in blender, add water if needed (careful, it’s hot!). So simple, and so delicious!

NO KNEAD BREAD
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast

Mix everything together. Let rise 12-18 hours. Google remaining instructions, because I keep forgetting what to do next. Let bread cool before cutting into, or it will be doughy. Dip into carrot soup.

This is seriously so good, it was requested for dinner again tomorrow night.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Qwerty988 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:29 am

Wonderful pics and recipes, Lyndzie! Thanks so much for posting them :-D

(I'm a big fan of High Carb Hannah, too :D )
Qwerty988

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am

Mmm! I am going to give this carrot-ginger soup a whirl. Ever since reading an opinion piece about the fate of the elderly who, due to low income, are "forced" to buy dog food to eat. And the author was pointing out you are NOT forced to eat dog food if if you make a pot of gourmet carrot ginger soup. ;) It's been a hankering of mine since then, and I've never gotten around to doing it. But you've inspired me :nod:

Carrots are on my grocery list. I'll just add ginger and get clicking on it after work. Maybe tomorrow, and I can start the bread tomorrow morning. Then have bread with carrot soup for tomorrow's dinner.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:51 am

Thanks for the complement, Qwerty!

Buns, we are totally doing it again tonight. Dough is rising on the counter, and we have to pick up another couple pounds of carrots while we’re out today. I’m toying with the idea of adding some potato to the soup, but I’m worried it might mute the flavors. We’ll see!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Tonight I made stuffed acorn squash. My husband has been not eating meat lately (yay!) but also doesn’t eat a ridiculously long list of stuff, including beans. He will eat some grains, including white rice, but not brown. I really want to encourage his meatless meals, but have been racking my brain to figure out what to feed him.

My version of stuffed acorn squash is inspired by the America’s Test Kitchen’s version minus the oil and ridiculous amount of cheese. I increased the recipe to feed a family of four plus have leftovers. Also, to appeal to the hubby, I omitted the garlic and shallot, but highly recommend cooking those with the barley in the ipot if you like them.

I simplified the recipe, because ATC likes to do ten steps when one will suffice. As an English teacher once told me, you want your writing to be like a woman’s skirt, short enough to keep your attention, but long enough to cover the important parts. Recipes should be the same.

STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
3 acorn squash
1 cup pearl barley
2.5 c water
1 bulb fennel, diced
1 tsp dried coriander
Dash or two dried thyme
Balsamic vinegar for serving

1. Cut squash in half and remove seeds. Bake upside down at 350°F until cooked through.
2. In instant pot, put barley, water, fennel and herbs. Cook for 20 min, NPR.
3. Flip squash halves over, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/8 inch around the border. Mix removed flesh and pine nuts into barley directly in the ipot (no need to dirty any more dishes!). Fill empty squash shells with barley mixture. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby jamietwo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:56 pm

I'm so impressed you're finding healthy foods your husband will eat! Love the skirt analogy for recipes! lol
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Thanks Jamie! How have you been doing since taking a break from the elimination diet? Feeling alright?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Tonight we had homemade bread, carrot ginger soup and yellow potatoes. I realized when I was making the soup that carrots aren’t very filling, so I quickly threw some potatoes in the instant pot to add some heft to the meal. I abhor cooked carrots, but love them as a soup. The secret to success is to peel the carrots. The peels have a bitter flavor that will overwhelm the soup. Trust me on this, just take the two minutes and peel the carrots.

CARROT GINGER SOUP
2 lbs carrots, peeled
1-2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and sliced
1 onion, rough chop (optional)
1-2 cloves garlic (optional)
Water

Put all ingredients in a pot with just enough water (you can always add more later). Simmer until veggies are soft. Purée in blender, add water if needed (careful, it’s hot!). So simple, and so delicious!

NO KNEAD BREAD
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast

Mix everything together. Let rise 12-18 hours. Google remaining instructions, because I keep forgetting what to do next. Let bread cool before cutting into, or it will be doughy. Dip into carrot soup.

This is seriously so good, it was requested for dinner again tomorrow night.

You inspired me to make carrot ginger soup! I found a recipe on the internet and used it, with some modifications and it was DELICIOUS! It ended up being filling enough on its own, but I did end up snacking sometime in there between lunch and dinner. SO tasty that I'm making it again tonight.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals