Adventures in Eating

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Adventures in Eating

Postby jamietwo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Thanks Jamie! How have you been doing since taking a break from the elimination diet? Feeling alright?

I feel great, thanks for asking! ... but I'm medicating. :( There were a few days in there where I was afraid I was going to flare, but that seems to have passed. And you know what moving is like! I haven't even started the move - I'm still clearing out and ripping wallpaper and painting! :P
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:23 am

Thanksgiving is coming up in less than a week, and I have a plan that I am excited about. It will be fairly easy, delicious, and oil-free.

For my main, I am going to make my usual fennel and barley stuffed acorn squash for dinner on Tuesday, but jazz up one of them with cranberries and walnuts to make it festive and special, and save that for Thanksgiving.

I’m in charge of the rolls, and will be making potato clover rolls with Everything But The Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s. I’ve been making practice batches and they turn out great. The recipe is inspired by the one here, minus all the butter and milk and eggs. https://food52.com/recipes/39166-mama-s ... over-rolls

The rolls require mashed potatoes, so I will make those on Wednesday and bring some to reheat. Yay instant pot!

My family usually makes these beautiful and delicious endive spoons with lemon goat cheese. I have asked them to bring extra endive, and will make a cashew-based cheese for myself. This would be a food that I fall off plan for, so I need to be fully armed to resist temptation. Here is the goat cheese recipe: https://www.spabettie.com/2012/08/17/ve ... se-recipe/ (I’ve not tried this before.)

I also picked up a package of Kite Hill chive spread and a box of 365 Woven Wheats as an appetizer.

I’d like a salad if some kind, maybe something simply with romaine, cucumber and radish. Or, something with Brussels sprouts, raisins, capers and chickpeas. I feel like there needs to be a cruciferous vegetable of some kind.

For dessert, I’m going to make a combination of PlantPure’s Refrigerator Chocolate Pie (https://www.plantpurechef.com/blog-la9v ... qhBs_Vtvf4) with Mary’s Wicked Chocolate Pie (https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl ... ecipes.htm). I’m going to make this Wednesday at my mom’s house. Reddi Wip has some new non-dairy, oil-free whipped toppings that I’m interested in trying out.

Fingers crossed that there is another dish that someone brings that is oil-free, but I doubt it. This plan has me making one dish a day, and only cooking the rolls the morning of (which is plenty when I have to get all five of us washed and presentable by 11:30).
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby moonlight » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Lindsey, I love your Thanksgiving food conversation. I'm planning to make the Lentil Shepherd's pie, too. I'll be eating at my sister's house. I live out of state and we don't get together very often. We're not really very close but in the last year or so we have been trying to connect a tiny bit more. My mother keeps her informed on my diet, of course. I was planning to be very low key about it. I was afraid she might feel judged... she's quite a bit overweight and has been diagnosed with diabetes. She started medication a few months ago... From what I get from my mom, she hasn't made any radical changes to her diet... So, I don't want to make a big deal about my diet plan, only if she asks. Isn't holidays with family fun! :eek: I plan to take a veggie tray and hummus (oil free) and Shepherd's pie.

Your plans sound like so much fun! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

**Edited ( I just reread your Thanksgiving plans. You're not making Lentil Shepherd's Pie. :lol: I can't remember who said they were making that! The endive dish sounds VERY good! I might have to try it, modified for MWL, of course. Enjoy!)
moonlight

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:08 am

Hi moonlight! I think Someone in the Thanksgiving thread that mom+me started is doing the shepard’s Pie, too. I have total responded to a post in a different thread. Happens to the best of us!

This is the endive spoons original recipe. It’s quite a stretch to make it quasi-McDougall friendly, since it relies so heavily on cheese as a major feature. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ese-108221

I’ve got the cashew cheese started, using this recipe, because I’ve had good results with recipes from this site: https://fullofplants.com/vegan-fried-goat-cheese-balls/ I’m definitely not deep frying anything, just making a half batch of the cashew cheese with rejuvelac as the culture.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Ooh, these Thanksgiving plans all sound delicious! I'd love to try the endive spoons with not-cheese...sounds yummy! It's exciting planning for a food holiday, the challenges of fixing dishes that are compliant and luscious.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanksgiving was a HUGE success. My rolls got great reviews, and I stayed oil-free and avoided all dairy thus far.

I stuck with the Kite Hill chive spread on woven wheats for snacking. To make the endive spoons, I would just need to add some lemon juice and zest to the chive spread and add the slice of tomato, but instead I just put the spread on the endive and called it good enough.

The acorn squash and homemade mashed potatoes were an easy plate to assemble in advance. I added my rolls, and was good to go. I would have liked cranberry sauce, but decided to skip it because it was homemade, and people do weird things to their sauce.

Unfortunately, the person who brought salad covered it in some sort of creamy dressing, shredded cheese and bacon bits, so no salad for me.

For dessert Mary’s Wicked Chocolate Pie was a huge win for me. Everyone else stuck with the traditional pumpkin, but I ate my weight in chocolate. I used the Guittard extra dark chips, and brought the new Almond Reddi Wip. I’m not a fan of the crust, and next time I’m planning to try a Grape Nuts crust. The whip cream is great, and perfect for these sorts of occasions.

THEN, yesterday I went for an overnight to celebrate my sister’s birthday. I took the baby, but otherwise it was an adults only trip with my mom, two sisters and her fiancée. I managed to navigate all meals out at restaurants not of my choosing while staying totally on plan. I brought two Larabars in case of emergency, and they came in handy. Dinner was at a steak house, and I had a baked potato and steamed asparagus. Breakfast was a buffet, which had tons of fresh fruit, smoothies and an oatmeal bar. It was a total win.

Tomorrow night is the last family event - our annual trip to Benihana. They used to have a steamed vegetable dinner called Buddha’s Delight. Last year I just ordered the yakisoba noodles, but was super pregnant and kept puking because of the smells. I haven’t figured out what my plan for this year will be yet, but I’m feeling very empowered after navigating three difficult days successfully.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby hallelujah » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 am

Hi Lindsey,

Reading your journal. You are a cook after my own heart. Can you share your recipe for catsup with me?
Thanks
hallelujah

Postby glo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 am

Hello,
I have just discovered your wonderful and encouraging posts. Thank you so much. I am looking forward to using some of your recipes and suggestions! :) - Glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals