Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm

moonlight wrote:Okay, I love that you love your siblings so much! I mean, I love mine but I don't just LOVE getting together with her. I hope ya'll have fun. Please explain what an escape room is when you get a chance. Also, I love that you made yourself workout! I'm all into making myself stay on my diet, making myself exercise. I guess that's what it will take for a while. I'm always happier later.
Happy Friday :D

Yeah, my bro and sis are two of my best friends. We enjoy each other immensely and make the time to have an occasional night out. We had an AMAZING time on Friday. My sister lives north of us, so my brother and I went on the train (about an hour) to get there and she picked us up. Dinner was delicious, at a pub that had vegan options. I'm POSITIVE I had food with added fat. Honestly, I just...at a restaurant I go off plan, plain and simple. But it was delicious. I had a vegan burger with the works and a couple of beers. YUM!

An escape room is an outing where you have to solve puzzles to find clues that enable you to solve a mystery that opens the door. You are locked in, and you have 60 minutes to figure it out. We had the three of us, and there were five friends who joined our adventure, all done up in cosplay as pirates or swashbucklers. So there were eight in all, and we had to figure out four things: Who assassinated the king, where was he killed, what day, and what method. We did it with four minutes to spare! and it was SO MUCH FUN. And challenging. You'd find a key, and it would unlock a box with a clue in it and the clue would enable you to find a chest that must be manipulated in order to get a peg to loosen, and open the chest. There was a lock with no key, a Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey who said a clue when you pressed his hand. He was locked in a cage hanging from the ceiling, and the key to THAT lock was locked to handcuffs that were fastened on a chair. CRAZY involved, convoluted challenges. We had to get a chest out of a skeleton's rib cage. There was a box that would only open when you turned three knobs according to the clues written on the side of the box. There were these gauntlets that had nothing to do with anything. LOL One of the boxes had a book in it, with pages of rhymes, that held clues. To break the code in one of those poems, you had to find and read the clue on the edge of the frame of the mirror. (that gave us the answer "Arsenic"...cool) Thankfully the pirates were younger and probably more sober :lol: but we sure had a great time. And we got out with four minutes to spare. Not everyone succeeds at these things, so we were proud of ourselves. An absolutely wonderful night out.

I was comparing my workout on Friday to this morning's (Monday)...for some reason I was slow-mo on Friday and not wanting to put a lot into it, although it was DDP Yoga which I love. Today, I was ready to max it out the moment I started and it was the boring old stationary recumbent bike in a dull little workout room. *shrug* but I think it's because of my super low activity weekend. I needed the workout BADLY today and I loved maxing it out. Twenty minutes was nothing, and my heart rate was right at cardio/fat burning level the whole time, almost effortlessly.

Gee, how my attitude has changed. :nod: I like it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby SilverDollar123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Buns! 8 of us from my church group did the escape room experience last Tues. We did it in 58mins.& 30secs. Close but we did it.! :eek: .RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Keithswife and Buns - I have learned so much from this journal! Shovel glove looks super interesting, and DDP yoga is definitely something I’d like to try. We got 9” of snow this past weekend, and I need to find some sort of movement to do indoors and help both the kids and I get the wiggles out.

Shovelglove is great because it is so simple and low cost. If you already have a sledgehammer, zero cost! or, like me...a large cast iron skillet. And the instructions are all on Everyday Systems for both No S-ing and Shovelglove. I can see with little kids, the fun with pretending you're swinging an axe or shoveling snow!

DDPYoga is AMAZING...the DVD's aren't free but wow, the best money I've ever spent. So much energy!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:34 pm

SilverDollar123 wrote:Hi Buns! 8 of us from my church group did the escape room experience last Tues. We did it in 58mins.& 30secs. Close but we did it.! :eek: .RAS

That's awesome RAS! Love it. Sounds like it was really challenging.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby keithswife » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:56 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:
keithswife wrote:
I love the No S Diet. I'm a big Reinhard Engels fan. He has a very geeky sense of humor that I love. I even bought a sledge hammer and wrapped it in a shovel glove to exercise with. When I stuck with it, I got stronger. I used to shovel out horse stalls when I was younger, and I can attest that that shoveling is the best exercise out there. When you stick with it. Which, I haven't. :(

But I totally agree that his philosophy on eating 3 meals a day with no snacks in between and saving treats for the weekends brings much needed sanity for those of us who have been on some kind of diet most of our lives. I've stuck with that part of No S, and it cured me of a lot of food issues I was struggling with.

Ha! Hi there :) do you ever visit the forums on Everyday Systems? I did shovelglove for a while, but couldn't get myself into it. I've struggled with getting my move on more than any other thing. I used a five lb cast iron skillet LOL and for some reason just couldn't make myself do it for very long. Couple of weeks I guess. I'd love to try it with a sledgehammer, but it was a good workout with that skillet. I called it skilletglove ;)

I've been on the Everyday Systems forums on and off over the years. Since I had so much experience shoveling out stalls, I knew how to get the most out of the sledge hammer workout. Somewhere I found a routine Reinhard had posted and did that, too. The best part was that it only lasted for 14 minutes and then it was over. I'm lazy like that :D
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:16 pm

A thought just popped into my mind...what if I made a list of my favorite recipes, and prepared a week long meal plan? My inspiration is Moonlight with those awesome daily menus.

Going to think about this.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Buns,

Your workouts are so inspiring!! Awesome!!
Speaking of the menu idea, I love mine. :lol: I'm hoping to get 3 or 4 weeks done and make a grocery list with each week's menu. We won't have to wonder what's for dinner anymore! I can get into such a rut and not have good inspiring meals. Good luck with yours. :)
moonlight

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:33 pm

We started dong some weekly regulars on our meal planning, then I only need to fill in a couple days. On rotation are taco Tuesdays and Homemade pizza on Friday, with sushi on usually Wed or Thursday. The other nights I could just rotate through favorites. Unfortunately, yesterday my husband informed me he wants to do Paleo again...that’s going to throw a wrench in it.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:39 am

moonlight wrote: Hi Buns,

Your workouts are so inspiring!! Awesome!!
Speaking of the menu idea, I love mine. :lol: I'm hoping to get 3 or 4 weeks done and make a grocery list with each week's menu. We won't have to wonder what's for dinner anymore! I can get into such a rut and not have good inspiring meals. Good luck with yours. :)

Thanks moonlight! I'll figure out how to do it for me. I batch cook a few times a week, and then have that dish for many meals in a row, so I'm thinking over how to create menus for a week at a time. No one else eats my food, per se. My mom once in a while, or if I make something to take to a potluck. But overall, I'm cooking for myself and it can take a while to get through a big batch of Thai Curried Rice :)

Lyndzie wrote:We started dong some weekly regulars on our meal planning, then I only need to fill in a couple days. On rotation are taco Tuesdays and Homemade pizza on Friday, with sushi on usually Wed or Thursday. The other nights I could just rotate through favorites. Unfortunately, yesterday my husband informed me he wants to do Paleo again...that’s going to throw a wrench in it.

OH! Too bad about the paleo! I wonder if he's planning on the hunting methods of the San people of South Africa. They chase their prey until the prey collapses from exhaustion. It can take days of non-stop pursuit. When he kills his prey, will he start with the organ meats, which contain by far the most nutritive value? far more than muscle flesh.Or will he go through the pine trees for pinyon? as the Native American Utes have done (they got the vast majority of their calories in the winter time from pine nuts).

Just kidding, but this is truly how the hunter gatherers existed, and I always wonder when I hear about Paleo this or Paleo that...

But I like your rotating favorites. Great idea! I'm thinking I do something kind of like that with my big batches...I have quite a few tasty, simple recipes that I repeat, then once in a while I throw in a new one, or give an oldie a spin.

~~~

Good workout today. It's "rest day" so no weights, but I put in 15 minutes on the bike and got my heart rate up nicely. Still haven't found the DVD player remote, so DDPY is out for now. I'm going to turn my house upside down this evening. I know I had it on Friday. Thought I put it away...we have Bernie Sanders the Duck, a stuffed corduroy Mallard with a pocket that sits on the back of the couch holding out remotes very nicely. The other remotes were in there, but not the DVD remote. Really wanting to go "up" a level on the DDPY.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm

A realization today: My knee does not currently hurt, and it didn't hurt when I first got out of bed, and it didn't hurt yesterday. I wonder if I'm strengthening it with my recumbent bicycling. But knee pain is common with cycling...so...?

At any rate I'm grateful to have less pain/more strength in my knee :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:58 am

woot! maxed out my work out this morning. I did intervals, with four sets of 1 minute max, 3 minutes moderate, inside of a 20 minute workout. Then some weights (lats) and I tried a balance exercise, using a support and doing a standing...is it warrior something? Warrior pose 3

I only wish I were outside like her, and I had my hand on a weight bench for most of it, but I did stand free for a few seconds :nod:

And I am BUZZING. My legs are noodles, number one, but it feels like every cell is humming. Ahhhhh.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 am

Okay cheese is not my friend!

When I got home from work, I wasn't very hungry so I just had a small serving of salad that my mom had put together from one of those kits: Shaved Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, and some croutons, and dressing, with Parmesan cheese in there.

Dayum! It hit about an hour after I ate: a huge IBS episode aka the trots. I was in the bathroom a dozen times, and finally slowed it all down with four Pepto Bismol tabs. It's cheese! I looked back on my journal and found that incident with the bagel coated with melted cheese, the nachos with cheese. The bagel made me SICK, sick, as in Stay-home-from-work-feeling-drained-and-weak sick. The nachos, a little twinge in the stomach regions. But I got some minor intestinal distress when we went out to Olive Garden and I had a tiny little grating of parmesan on my soup. And then last night the 3/4 cup of salad with *maybe* a TBSP of parmesan total...and I was in MISERY.

It's cheese.

I will never eat it again :( and it's one of the dairy products that I actually do miss. That and ice cream. For some reason, I've stayed clean away from ice cream for 10 years, but cheese...I've had the occasional taste of it. Had some for a feast day way back when. Brie cheese on Xmas :nod: In fact, I had a piece of pizza one evening in the summer, and didn't pick the cheese off and DIDN'T get sick. What's different now, a half a year later? But never mind. It makes me deadly sick and I won't be eating it again. whew!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks for sharing the pic :nod:
moonlight

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Buns, I am totally with you on the cheese thing. It’s not consistent either, so it’s a bit like Russian roulette. In December I had a piece of margarita pizza while traveling and the problems happened the following day while shopping. I got stuck in the bathroom with the baby strapped to the front of me in a baby carrier. Quite a sight!

I’m excited to try out the DDP yoga. You make it sound so fun!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:30 am

moonlight wrote:Thanks for sharing the pic :nod:

How I wish that was me! LOL not only how fit she is, but look at her setting! The Grand Tetons are glorious.

Lyndzie wrote:Buns, I am totally with you on the cheese thing. It’s not consistent either, so it’s a bit like Russian roulette. In December I had a piece of margarita pizza while traveling and the problems happened the following day while shopping. I got stuck in the bathroom with the baby strapped to the front of me in a baby carrier. Quite a sight!

I’m excited to try out the DDP yoga. You make it sound so fun!

Oy Lindsey! When it hits, what else you gonna do? It hasn't been a problem for me in almost 10 years, and yet here I am, within one month, four "episodes" UGH. No more CHEESE. Period.

~~~

Smashed my workout this morning. I REALLLLLLLLY wanted to do DDPY but still have no clue where the DVD remote could be so I came early and put in 25 minutes on the recumbent, at a moderate, steady pace. Held the heart rate at about 112 for almost the entire time. It's pretty cool how 15 minutes seemed like a long time when I started this but this morning I rattled off 25 minutes and only stopped when my legs started getting tired. Of course it helped that I read the whole time! :lol: because yeah, pedaling on a stationary recumbent bike is boring. But I put on the LOTR soundtrack on my phone, and read about Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli meeting The White Rider! aaaaah! Gandalf! It's YOU! Yay!

And then, there was a fruit plate in the break room. Breakfast! pineapple, cantaloupe, berries, yum!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals