Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:43 pm

So, I've gotten really frustrated with myself in the past few weeks, mostly centering on how out of control my weekends tend to be. Because of No S (no snacks, no seconds, no sweets EXCEPT ON DAYS THAT START WITH S) I have discovered a genuine sanity about food. I started with it in May of '16 I think it was and even though I didn't lose any weight, I did stop gaining AND I got to where food wasn't the center of my thinking ALL the time (much of the time, yes, but there are moments, even entire afternoons, where food never enters my mind, and that is amazing!)

No S-ing relieved me of always wandering into the kitchen to open the fridge or cupboard doors, and it taught me that it's okay to feel hungry between meals. Not gonna die of starvation if I have to wait a couple of hours to eat. It's huge, honestly it is. BUT it has led to this "permission" on weekends to go ballistic. And that isn't even part of No S. The idea is to allow yourself a treat one or two days a week, so you don't go berserk after weeks of striving against your impulses and eat all the things. Allowing a treat (and in McDougall World a treat should be something like a few nuts or maybe some dates or something like that) In my case, a few squares of dark chocolate has been my go-to "S Day" treat...except the past few weekends, let's say since T'giving...LORD I've been wacked out on Saturdays and Sundays.

Now, let's think about how my eating window is doing. I really think letting more than 12 hours pass between dinner and brekkie is good. Empty out the system, etc. But again with the freaking permission. Even though "eat all the things, you only have eight hours!" is NOT part of intermittent fasting, that is where I've taken it a few times. "Oooh! I'm within my eating window. Let's chow down on the guacamole! quick before 6:30!"

And it occurred to me that I have these two eating styles set up. No S means snacking is out except on weekends. An eight hour eating window means I'm reaching for not-helpful foods during those eight hours. It's like I found these loopholes or something. The legalism of an "eating method" ... so if I follow the rules, that means I get to do whatever I want within those rules so nyah.

Well this post from Jeff hits home for me. I'm going to read it again. Jeff Novick Has Some Answers

Habit building. Gotta think about this some more.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Michele613 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 am

Thanks Buns for the Jeff Novick site. I've joined the 2019 MWL thread but am flipping a few others as well. Since I don't really like to cook the idea of recipes and putting together meals is a put off. Simplicity, repetition and consistency along with a scissors, can opener, a pot and microwave....I think I can do this :)
Michele613

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:56 am

Hi Michele

Jeff's got SO MUCH good information. You'll get a lot from his forum for sure.

Today's workout: 25 minutes recumbent bike. My knees were feeling it today so I kept it pretty slow.

Planned food:

banana, apple, granola bars, hot herbal tea (no coffee today...the battery acid they have at work is not worth it)

MMS (mid-morning snack) cucumber slices and saltines
L: lentil soup over nuked yellow potatoes
D: Thai Curried Rice

going to make the mushroom barley soup from Starch Solution today after work. :nod:

Going to get a Thermos for bringing soup in my lunch box.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:49 am

My entire body feels fantastic! Yes, my knee hurts, and I'm wearing an itchy shirt, but I feel GREAT! Did a DDPY workout this morning and wow! First of all, it kicked my butt, but best of all I am left with a feeling of calm, clear headed energy and openness. Like, all the things that were filling me up...all the residue of adulting in this modern world...all those heavy things are gone, and I am instead full of lightness and air.

Woke up feeling like those little adipose creatures in that episode of Dr Who. Blobby and slow. Now feeling powerful, straight, and active. I actually FEEL fit and slim ;)

TODAY'S PLANNED FOOD
S: cucumber slices and saltines
L: Thai Curried Rice
D: Fake tuna samwich; carrot and celery stix.

I didn't end up making soup yesterday, but I got the ingredients so today I will do that. Mushroom Barley :nod: Good stuff, Maynard.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Michele613 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 am

Well good for you...way to go. Do it again tomorrow! BTW do you put milk substitute in your m/b soup? Could I use canned mushroom as fresh are so expensive.
Michele613

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 am

Michele613 wrote:Well good for you...way to go. Do it again tomorrow! BTW do you put milk substitute in your m/b soup? Could I use canned mushroom as fresh are so expensive.

The recipe doesn't call for nut milk. Just from memory, I know it has onion, garlic, cabbage, mushrooms, barley, and 1/8 tsp of wasabi powder :lol: which I don't know about anyone else, but 1/8 tsp of anything adds ZERO flavor to a gallon of soup. So I am planning on making it a TBSP of horseradish, or to taste. Let's see what that does to it.

I think canned mushrooms should be okay. I know what you mean about fresh they are expensive, but I love shrooms so I buy them. But DANG yesterday I stopped at the store that is closest to home, on my way from work, and JEEZ LOUISE those mushrooms! They only had 8 oz containers and those were $1.99 each! insane! Oooh, if you can get to an Asian market, they usually have a selection of dehydrated mushrooms. And a VARIETY, lemme tell you. Black fungus is delicious (These are also known as cloud mushrooms, but for some reason they label it "black fungus" to make it more appetizing I guess) and of course shiitakes and oyster mushrooms, etc.

It's delicious soup. It is in the Starch Solution and I've made it a few times. I've adapted it, but here is the actual recipe. Google is our friend! :nod:

MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Servings: 4-6

6 1/2 cups water
1 cup barley
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons dill weed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon wasabi powder
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups shredded cabbage

Place the water, barley, onion and seasonings in a large pot. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.

Add the mushrooms and cabbage and cook for another 30 minutes.

Hints: To save time in preparation, buy sliced mushrooms and shredded cabbage in the supermarket.
Wasabi powder is sold in most natural food stores. It is a Japanese horseradish powder.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:16 am

Jeff's Checklist could be a useful tool.

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.

2) Choose fruit for desert.

3) Greatly reduce of eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6) Eliminate any added oil.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Looking it over, #9 has been an issue lately. I've been overeating and stuffing, sometimes on off-plan food, and sometimes on compliant food. Overeating is a real issue for me, but I guess I didn't realize until now that not stuffing your stomach is a MWL principle. Hmmmm.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Michele613 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks Buns.....I haven't ever had mushroom soup with cabbage...let me know how you like it. I am used to the typical non McD type ...Campbells soup from yesteryear when I ate that....creamy with mushrooms only. Maybe I'll experiment. Right now I am having mashed potatoes with a chili-like thicker soup over it. It works. Have a great day!
Michele613

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 am

Michele613 wrote:Thanks Buns.....I haven't ever had mushroom soup with cabbage...let me know how you like it. I am used to the typical non McD type ...Campbells soup from yesteryear when I ate that....creamy with mushrooms only. Maybe I'll experiment. Right now I am having mashed potatoes with a chili-like thicker soup over it. It works. Have a great day!

Hi Michele!

I really like this soup. I've made it a couple of times, and have adapted it. I mean truly, 1/8 a tsp of wasabi powder made LITERALLY zero difference in the taste, when I ran it the first time. Yesterday's batch has 1 heaping TBSP of horseradish in it, and I guess it's adding flavor but still very subtle.

One thing to mention: after the first 30 minutes of cooking, with just the water, onion, barley and seasonings, nearly all the water was absorbed, so I added another three cups when I put the cabbage and mushrooms in. It made a nice thick broth, without being gloppy, nor is it runny. This, and the faux chicken soup, which also uses cabbage (instead of noodles) are my current favorite soups.

TODAY'S WORKOUT

DDPYoga and feeling real good. My knee is responding, thankfully. I'm taking it slow, going with the easiest workout for now. I may be ready for the next one soon. It's longer and makes you REALLY sweat IIRC. At any rate, I'm so glad I decided to get on the recumbent bike before work, those weeks ago before Xmas. It spurred me finally, after years away, to put on a DDPY dvd. And the yoga is going to lighten me and enliven me. Feels good.

Eating...yesterday I had some pistachios after dinner. Otherwise, food was spot on. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:50 am

Got up and did a DDPY workout, even though I didn't want to and EVEN THOUGH it's permissible to have a "rest day"...so I didn't max it out during the workout. Still feels really good. There's something about opening up the spine. I guess. Whatever it is, yoga kicks my butt and energizes me. :nod: So far I've been doing the simplest workout, also the shortest at 21 minutes. I briefly thought about doing Fat Burner, but I figured I'd rather get a work out done, of any level, rather than sit there. When I was doing DDPY regularly, I graduated upwards when I was ready. It came about when I realized I was stronger than the current workout. Well, I'm not there yet, but I'll move up when my body is ready.

Going out for the evening with my siblings. It's gonna be SO MUCH FUN. We're having dinner, and then an escape room! woot! The restaurant we're going to has many vegan options, so that's good. I'm sure I'll find something on plan. Excited! I love my brother and sister mmmmwah!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby keithswife » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:So, I've gotten really frustrated with myself in the past few weeks, mostly centering on how out of control my weekends tend to be. Because of No S (no snacks, no seconds, no sweets EXCEPT ON DAYS THAT START WITH S) I have discovered a genuine sanity about food. I started with it in May of '16 I think it was and even though I didn't lose any weight, I did stop gaining AND I got to where food wasn't the center of my thinking ALL the time (much of the time, yes, but there are moments, even entire afternoons, where food never enters my mind, and that is amazing!)

No S-ing relieved me of always wandering into the kitchen to open the fridge or cupboard doors, and it taught me that it's okay to feel hungry between meals. Not gonna die of starvation if I have to wait a couple of hours to eat. It's huge, honestly it is. BUT it has led to this "permission" on weekends to go ballistic. And that isn't even part of No S. The idea is to allow yourself a treat one or two days a week, so you don't go berserk after weeks of striving against your impulses and eat all the things. Allowing a treat (and in McDougall World a treat should be something like a few nuts or maybe some dates or something like that) In my case, a few squares of dark chocolate has been my go-to "S Day" treat...except the past few weekends, let's say since T'giving...LORD I've been wacked out on Saturdays and Sundays.

I love the No S Diet. I'm a big Reinhard Engels fan. He has a very geeky sense of humor that I love. I even bought a sledge hammer and wrapped it in a shovel glove to exercise with. When I stuck with it, I got stronger. I used to shovel out horse stalls when I was younger, and I can attest that that shoveling is the best exercise out there. When you stick with it. Which, I haven't. :(

But I totally agree that his philosophy on eating 3 meals a day with no snacks in between and saving treats for the weekends brings much needed sanity for those of us who have been on some kind of diet most of our lives. I've stuck with that part of No S, and it cured me of a lot of food issues I was struggling with.
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Okay, I love that you love your siblings so much! I mean, I love mine but I don't just LOVE getting together with her. I hope ya'll have fun. Please explain what an escape room is when you get a chance. Also, I love that you made yourself workout! I'm all into making myself stay on my diet, making myself exercise. I guess that's what it will take for a while. I'm always happier later.
Happy Friday :D
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:55 am

I just KILLED my workout! woot! I wanted to do DDPY but can't find the remote for the DVD player, so I just took off for work and got there early enough for 20 minutes on the recumbent, lat pulls: 65 lbs, three sets of 8; planks: two of 20 seconds each. (I went until I was literally shaking WOW! and 20 seconds was my limit, but I did it twice. Woot!)

It's true what they say, a rest day is SO GOOD. I didn't work out on Sat or Sun, and today Monday I had a lot more stamina than I had on Friday after four days of workouts.

I feel FANTASTIC!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:31 am

keithswife wrote:
I love the No S Diet. I'm a big Reinhard Engels fan. He has a very geeky sense of humor that I love. I even bought a sledge hammer and wrapped it in a shovel glove to exercise with. When I stuck with it, I got stronger. I used to shovel out horse stalls when I was younger, and I can attest that that shoveling is the best exercise out there. When you stick with it. Which, I haven't. :(

But I totally agree that his philosophy on eating 3 meals a day with no snacks in between and saving treats for the weekends brings much needed sanity for those of us who have been on some kind of diet most of our lives. I've stuck with that part of No S, and it cured me of a lot of food issues I was struggling with.

Ha! Hi there :) do you ever visit the forums on Everyday Systems? I did shovelglove for a while, but couldn't get myself into it. I've struggled with getting my move on more than any other thing. I used a five lb cast iron skillet LOL and for some reason just couldn't make myself do it for very long. Couple of weeks I guess. I'd love to try it with a sledgehammer, but it was a good workout with that skillet. I called it skilletglove ;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Keithswife and Buns - I have learned so much from this journal! Shovel glove looks super interesting, and DDP yoga is definitely something I’d like to try. We got 9” of snow this past weekend, and I need to find some sort of movement to do indoors and help both the kids and I get the wiggles out.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals