Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby Idgie » Tue May 28, 2019 8:08 am

You got this!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 am

Idgie wrote:You got this!

Thanks Idgie. I'm at a pretty low point right now. Hopefully I don't blow everything out of the water because I'm emotional.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu May 30, 2019 8:46 am

Feeling a little better today. I had bought some Fiddle Faddle yesterday and ate a few palmfuls as a snack before my shift ended, and tossed the remainder as soon as I got to work today.

Dinner last night was so delicious. Nuked yams over spinach, with some cauliflower and snap peas on the side. Today's lunch is rice with stir fry vegs, and I'll do something with rice for dinner, to finish off the big batch of rice I made a while back. Probably lentil soup over rice and spinach. And next week, potatoes because I have a LOT of potatoes at home.

Still not wonderful with the exercise. I hurt my knee doing yoga and have been taking a break, for a week now. I do not know what I did, but it was enough. It's one of the things that sent me on that downward spiral...how out of shape and fat do you have to be to REPEATEDLY injure your dang knee doing DOWN DOG? jeez louise. Got me SO depressed! SO stressed! ugh.

A bit better now. Possibly coming back to somewhat normalish soon.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 am

Well, it's been easily two weeks since I did any exercise to speak of. Thanks to hurting my knee doing a very low key and slow yoga routine...so I rested from exercise for a few days. Then my foot went into some sort of pain spasm for the past four or five days, which made even simple walking anywhere, even a few steps, unbelievably painful. So I continued with the "resting from exercise"

I don't know why the foot pain, especially after having weeks and weeks in a row with pretty minimal to zero pain, even after hours of shopping with the girls one Saturday. Why didn't my feet kill me after that? Shopping is the worst, but I didn't have any problems at all that day, or in the days following. Yet here I was crying from the pain yesterday and for four or five days previous. Annnnd this morning woke up pain free for the first time in literal weeks. Gosh that got depressing.

Anyway. I still love yoga, but it is clearly way easy for me to hurt myself. It was doing a yoga pose that hurt my knee in the first place, way back in January of '16. :( makes me sad. I will probably get to yoga again very soon, but meanwhile I cannot continue with zero body movement (beyond running the vacuum and doing some mild yardwork) SO I just now bought a Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies DVD :D :D :D

I owned #3 back in the VHS days and used to work out to it every morning, six days a week. I loved it! First of all, he has people at all levels of fitness on the floor with him. Additionally, at the end of the one I owned, there was a dance where each person showed off their moves and their pounds lost was given. I remember one petite fit little blonde. Her weight loss was 152 lbs. :eek: and she was slim, muscular, toned, and fit! I LOVED that. It was so motivating! So I've got Sweatin to the Oldies 4 on its way to me!

I'm looking forward to starting this. I will keep it to minimal impact, but I gotta get a move on. Truly. My mom and I were talking the other day. I'd take that damn dog for a walk or two every day, if it didn't kill my feet. Well maybe if I can lose some freaking fat, I'll be able to walk around the block without pain. :\ My word, to think I spent the Autumn of 2013 hiking and boulder hopping three or four times a week. Here's hoping Richard Simmons makes a difference.

Food remains very much off. I'm eating lovely meals, compliant, simple starches and veggies, and then going berserk with snacking and a little bit weekend weirdness. E.g. some cannoli chips I found in the clearance rack. Or the butter I had on my toast on Saturday. Or sharing an order of fries with a friend while out to lunch. None of this is helping me, but I can't drum up the "care about" for changing this. There's stressful stuff going on in my life, which may be part of why. Maybe I'm focused on some things, and letting other things slide for now, so that I don't have the burden of changing ALL THE THINGS at the same time. That's a pretty good theory, actually. :nod:

Here's hoping Richard Simmons DOES make a difference. If I feel better from a good dancing workout to music that I enjoy, maybe I'll start "caring" about what food I put in my body.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:54 am

A quick run-down of our May health experiences.

My little feller turned two on May 9. His parents threw him a bday party, but called me the day before: They were both really sick, daddy with aches and fever, mama with aches, fever, vomiting and diarrhea. I went over the day before the party to help get the wee one to bed, and bring them gatorade, tucks wipes, and OTC pain killer. That was May 8. Orion never did get sick, so they assumed it was food poisoning. We think they were wrong BECAUSE....

On May 9, they were feeling better. Wylie stopped by on his lunch hour to say happy birthday, and he let Orion fish some ice nuggets out of his jug. That night, Wylie came down sick. Vomiting and diarrhea with mild fever. He felt better enough to go to work on May 10, a Friday.

On Monday, May 13 I felt ill enough at work that I went home an hour early. I spiked a fever once home, and measured my temp at 102.1 which for me, whose normal body temp is usually about 97.7 not 98.6, I counted at actually 103. That is a HIGH fever. I stayed home the next day, Tuesday. My mom talked me into staying home the third day, Wednesday, as well. I was feeling almost 100% but the rest was VERY restorative. (I never threw up, nor did I have diarrhea. However, I completely lost my appetite. Didn't eat much at all for three days)

On Tuesday, Wylie mentioned that his "outie" belly button (aka hernia) felt different, and he also noticed some pain along his side. By Wednesday night (actually 3 a.m. on Thursday) he was ready for the ER. Drove himself, and I followed him there about an hour later, just before they took him to his surgery. It was omentum that had gotten into the tiny hernia, we figure from the abdominal force of all the throwing up he did the day he was sick.

They sent us home with instructions for light duty at work. That was Thursday, May 16. Wylie is a fast healer, and was on his feet pretty well. He mowed the lawn; I lifted and emptied the grass catcher on Sunday. Less than a week later, on Tuesday May 28, we were puttering around in the yard. It was cool, and it was dusk, and the beehives were silent with nary a bee outside, so he thought he'd show me how the bees were flourishing. hahahaha.

not.

And they flew at us with wrath and great stings, entangling themselves in my hair, stinging me on the lip and Wylie on the cheek. He spent some time picking bees out of my hair, then I noticed the stinger was still in his face, so I got it out of there. We have both been stung by bees, having grown up in the 60's when going barefoot all summer long was THE thing, so we didn't think anything of it. Until the morning of Wednesday, May 29. I was already awake, having some alone time in the front room when Wylie came out of the bedroom and said "I have a problem" I said "what's up?" and took my face out of my phone to look at him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The entire side of his face was swollen, from his temple to his jaw. He looked like a cartoon character, no lie! So he stayed home from work, saying "When am I gonna get a break?"

That was Weds May 29.

Yesterday, the dog knocked me down rushing through the corridor as we were heading outside. It was far more hurt ego than hurt anything else, but it wasn't fun going down like that. I took a few pictures from the wall with me, though so I guess that part was okay :lol:

And last night, as we were falling asleep, my poor dear Wylie suddenly got cramps in his inner thigh muscle! First one leg, then the other, for about 20 minutes. The agony of a charlie horse in those abductor/adductor muscles is not to be brushed off. I've had it one time and hope never to go through it again. It is worse for men due to their boy bits being right there in the vicinity of the cramping. He was up and pacing, gasping in pain and nothing I could do for him. He didn't even want me to get pickle juice or a banana for him.

And I begin to wonder what's next, eh? :shock: :? :shock:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:23 pm

Wow, Heidi, that is a lot of stuff going on for you and Wylie! I hope you start having a boring humdrum life soon!! :D
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks Moonlight! Things are a bit better now. No surprises in a few days, at any rate.

I'm eyeballing the 10 day retreat, for possibly some time next year (I do not want to use debt for it, or at least not for all of it) but if I give myself a year, I can save enough for the lion's share of the cost. I know getting to a weekend or a 10 day would be SO GOOD for all of me.

The three day intensive weekend is only $700, plus I'd have the cost of getting there, and the room. Still...quite doable. And wouldn't it be just wonderful to afford the 10 day!!!!

Anyway. I feel pretty good right now. I've managed to spend a half hour immersing myself in visualizing a new reality. SUCH an important discipline. The plan is to make that happen daily. Twenty minutes or so, just THERE. Already at my healthy weight, already enjoying the benefits of healthy eating and exercise. I know this is the key. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 am

Good grief! I've got the Hormonal Munchies BAD right now. It's ridiculous.Other stupid hormonal symptoms are hot flashes/night sweats, headache, heart racing. Weepy.
Now I'm thinking maybe adhering to the McDougall plan more consistently might make this less yucky. What have I done to myself. :cry:

Poop.

Weird thing is, I am not hungry. My stomach is not sending me signals at all, except "Feeling full" if that's a signal. Yet I'm reaching for snack junk.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby dlee » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Hang in there Buns....You have a lot of stuff happening around you, sounds like lots of ups and downs, but you can control what you do about junk food. Do you have it in your home? There's one thing I discovered, if I visualized it as Not food. and not My Food. I was able to resist a lot better.. Doug Lisle the pleasure trap helped me too or any of his You tube talks. Replaying them always helps.
I've been Mcdougalling for many years probably about 10 and still tweaking things here and there, almost at goal weight. all the best Dlee.
dlee

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am

dlee wrote:Hang in there Buns....You have a lot of stuff happening around you, sounds like lots of ups and downs, but you can control what you do about junk food. Do you have it in your home? There's one thing I discovered, if I visualized it as Not food. and not My Food. I was able to resist a lot better.. Doug Lisle the pleasure trap helped me too or any of his You tube talks. Replaying them always helps.
I've been Mcdougalling for many years probably about 10 and still tweaking things here and there, almost at goal weight. all the best Dlee.

Hey Dlee

Thanks for dropping by. I've been at McDougalling for 10 years myself, this coming Labor Day :nod: and I was under 180 for a very brief period in 2013...but many things did happen, and I sort of reversed things and gained it all back.

There is junk food in my home. Wylie usually has a stockpile, and I normally ignore it. I've struggled with added fats WAY more than junk food, except for the last two weeks of April, and I guess the end of May into this first week of June. For some reason I lost control completely with the stuff. Not only wasn't I NOT eating what was in the house, I was going to the store and buying it. And eating it. Last Friday, e.g. ... My stomach was satiated, and I kept on putting nibbles and treats and highly processed non-foods into my mouth ALL DAY LONG. At work, and when I got home. And Saturday was almost as bad. I was completely out of control. I'm sure it was hormone related, because I was having other PMS-type symptoms (even though I'm not having monthly visits from Cousin Charlotte any more)

Anyway, now it feels like it's out of my system. Whatever "it" was. Looking back, there were some days when I was REALLY low emotionally as well. That downward spiral was no fun at all, but it also seems to be pulling back upward again. It's been a LONG time since I was depressed. Glad to be through that. Oy! BUT I stepped on the scale this morning and not surprisingly gained eight pounds (I did not weigh one time in May); and the jeans I have on fit just a titch weird around my butt (aka too tight). So it's time for me to freaking wake up.

Time to stop "half-assing" this and get with the dang program. Today is June 10, and there's three weeks left in the month. I'd like to aim for three weeks of full compliance. Not going to worry about exercise, per se. I did a Richard Simmons workout yesterday which was fun but it hurt. I also went around the block with my little goober Orion and yes my feet hurt badly afterwards. So I'm not going to worry about exercise.

It's a shame about the Richard Simmons. I enjoy his workouts. For one thing, he has fat people on the floor with him, and there's that Victory Walk at the end showing how much weight people have lost. Very encouraging. I had one of his tapes in the 90's and followed it five or six days a week...so I thought I'd be all motivated and eager for it this time around, and it was fun but I had to sit for some of it...my knee was just hurting, low impact or not. I love yoga too. I'm not going to give up on exercise, but for now I need to focus on eating right. The exercise will come. I already have stamina and energy. It's just the knee and foot pain that stops me. Losing this body fat is THE most important thing right now.

I'm in a new mindset this morning. The junk stuff isn't tempting me at all and I'm ready to come home from work and cook food for the first time in quite a while. I need to think about the myriad opportunities for eating out that my life has in it.

DUCKS TO GET IN A ROW
1) the eating out thing.
2) the inconvenience food (aka Cooking Everything Myself from Scratch)
3) the onslaught of processed crap that is out there on the endcap of EVERY aisle in the store
4) what to do when bored

I'm sure there are other "ducks" ... for now, today, I'm eating compliant.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:16 pm

I saw someone else posted about doing a 21 day challenge. Would you be up for a group thing? I can post in the Lounge and see who else wants to join in.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Lyndzie wrote:I saw someone else posted about doing a 21 day challenge. Would you be up for a group thing? I can post in the Lounge and see who else wants to join in.

That’s a great idea! I’ll check the Lounge
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm so grateful for this journal. I was able to go back a month and see where I was in the middle of May, my mindset, what I was eating, what was going on in my life.

When I was stuck in the munchies last weekend, it felt like I had done nothing but eat junk food and put butter on my potatoes FOREVER. But it wasn't forever. It was a few days. Of course, there were a few days in May, and a week or so in April :roll: which is why the scale shows me up eight lbs now. BUT ... I feel a lot better about myself with looking at the actual days of munchies.

It is not a good feeling, out-of-control. But the out-of-control wasn't permanent. It was a two day thing, three at most. And it is the first time I've had the flaming munchies in a long time. I need to keep this nearby. Everything is temporary. The flaming munchies are TEMPORARY! I can arm myself with this knowledge, and one of the ducks to get in a row will be how to handle cravings. What to do if the flaming munchies come along again. Have a plan in place and follow it.

heh I guess that's the secret. "Follow your plan"

P.S. I also predict that the flaming munchies (which really are just hormonal/monthly cravings) will be very nearly conquered as I stay compliant and consistent. Pre-menopause I found this W.O.E. to pretty much eliminate all of my PMS symptoms.

P.P.S. there is a Planet Fitness within a block of my commute. I could work out there very easily, many days a week either going to or going from work. Hmmm
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby dlee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi Buns I just saw your update. I'm going to do the challenge too. I've got about 8 pounds to lose to get to what I think is my goal weight. I haven't seen that weight for about 50 years so we'll see. My pre WFPB days were vegetarian, but lots of high fat foods..what was I thinking ??
I've been hanging around 118 /119lb but at barely 5' 2" it is still a bit high.I'm 68. I hang onto fat. I hate it when my pants start to get tight around the rear, I know when I've gained!! Mary McD is about 105 lb or something like that and she is taller than I am . One thing I have done lately is picture what i have in the fridge and visualize what I'm going to eat before I get up. I go right to it and then decide on my plan for the whole days' eating. I eat veggies and a little starch usually leftovers for bfst. Sometimes oatmeal but mostly greens and maybe 1/2 cup of potato/ or brn rice. Most of my meals are like that. I can lose weight if I stay on plan. I keep a notebook on the counter near where I'm prepping food. Note what I have planned. Fortunately my husband is on board with me too.Very lucky for me, but he has an auto immune condition. Not so lucky for him, but he is keeping it in remission eating this way. I need to not have snacks like fat free taco chips and little bits of nuts or toast and PB etc. or avocado, tofu,the little bits add up and I stay the same or gain. Anyways happy challenge to you and clear the way so you can succeed. Do you batch cook some meals and freeze? dlee
dlee

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals