Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu May 09, 2019 9:36 am

moonlight wrote:Congrats on the 100% days!! Woot woot!
I love to hear about your gardening adventures! I get a real kick out of watching plants grow that I put in the ground. :D

Thanks moonlight! I feel pretty dang good about eating compliant. I've made a choice, and following through on it, one day at a time.

DAY FOUR OF 100% :D :D :D

I feel really good. My calm alert state of mind, and the energy I feel in my body. Just wonderful! The yoga has helped bodily, but the mental clarity comes from eliminating the fats and eating close to MWL. LOVE IT!

WEDNESDAY'S FOOD PLAN:
B: Bel-vita :|(I got out the front door in such a hurry, and glad they have these in the vending machine); coffee
S: cucumber, pretzel crisps (too salty. I won't be buying them again...saltines are better)
L: Thai Curried Rice
D: Quesadilla style w. salsa; corn

WEDNESDAY'S ACTUAL FOOD:
Same for everything except dinner. I had a zillion errands to run after work so I stopped and got a vegetarian burrito at Taco Time. YUM!

THURSDAY'S FOOD PLAN:'
B: oatmeal w.berries and some granola for crunch; coffee
S: cucumber; saltines
L: chili over rice; cutie oranges
D: Brand New Vegan Mac and Not Cheese
Birthday cake will be served, but I am planning on not having anything beyond a taste.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Feeling really good today. I woke up feeling kind of weak and apathetic, fat and sluggish, but got onto my yoga practice right away and felt MUCH better afterwards. And have felt really good all day, though there is some extremely stressful crap going down in my personal life.

Short Version: Wylie and my mom are both strong willed and used to getting their own way, and they've been battling a LOT this week. And I'm exhausted, truly. It is affecting my sleep, and Wylie has spent quite a bit of time ticked off at me, as well. Because I disagree with how he is handling his differences with my mom.

I've got an appointment to see someone, to talk things out and maybe set up joint therapy for the both of us...to at least help him arrive at a place where he isn't irked at her non-stop.

So yeah, stress is not a happy place to be, and I'm SO glad for yoga, and actually kind of grateful for this because it makes me more determined than ever to be good to myself, including eating foods that are healthful and truly nourishing, and yoga every day. It's become a necessity in my morning routine.

THURSDAY'S FOOD PLAN:'
B: oatmeal w.berries and some granola for crunch; coffee
L: chili over rice; cutie oranges
D: Brand New Vegan Mac and Not Cheese
Birthday cake will be served, but I am planning on not having anything beyond a taste.

THURSDAY'S ACTUAL FOOD
Everything as planned, except I did have a small piece of cake rather than just a taste. I also ate a sliver of chicken meat! :eek: I think it just smelled so good and I was kind of manning the kitchen and...and...and...and it amounted to less than half an ounce ... still geez louise. PS why is the only flavor out there "salt"?

FRIDAY'S FOOD PLAN:
B: Bel Vita biscuits; coffee
L: Mac & Not Cheese; salad
D: Thai Curried Rice; spinach

I am planning on having zero chocolate tomorrow. It's been a "weekend treat" thing for years, but up until this past week, it had become a daily thing, and it's time to give it a rest. That's the plan. :unibrow: Hopefully I can stick to it.

With two full days ahead of me in the fray of The Clash of the Titans, :roll: I'm not promising that I'll stay away from my main comfort food.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby midnight87 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 pm

It's good that you're going to see a therapist and talk things out, that in itself should relieve some stress for you. I know I need to work on my sleep too, I keep waking up at like 2 am and then I can't fall back asleep, not sure what's causing it for me. All things considered, your food looks really good :) Remember to give yourself some grace, we all slip up from time to time, chocolate is definitely something I give into at times as well.
midnight87

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 am

thanks Moonlight. I'm looking forward to my first appointment, on Wednesday evening.

I did end up eating chocolate, and I also had nachos on regular tortilla chips. The two off plan items for the weekend. :| Stress was much less intense but there's still so much irritation ugh. However, my brother and his wife came over and we had dinner and sat around outside in the lovely back yard that Wylie and I have put so much work into. It's getting prettier and prettier, and I love living in a place where I can go out the door and be outside, and a place to sit and enjoy the quiet springtime. I'm blessed.

I've made a decision, I think I'm stealing it from John Larson. Going to simplify EXTREMELY and have rice and steamed Cali Blend for my lunches and dinners. Not sure about brekkie. I keep thinking about the pictures that go with the Rice Diet when I google it. This Dr was treating people with what was then considered extreme obesity...and those pictures look like MY body shape. :shock:

I mean, my weight is right up there within 10 lbs of hers. And Dr Kempner considered these severe enough to mandate extreme measures. *sigh* well, so do I. When you are contemplating bariatric surgery or liposuction, you know you got a problem.

Well, I don't want to do JUST rice, but it would sure simplify things if I made the decision that rice and steamed vegs are my food. Like when I was in a course to become a CNA, there was a nun-nurse teaching it. Sister Janet Marie. Every day she put on her white Franciscan nurse-nun uniform. She didn't have to stand in front of her closet deciding what to wear. It was already decided for her. That is where I want to go with my food. Rice is my favorite grain. I like both brown and white rice, and I LOVE steamed veggies. I can easily cook large amounts of fat free rice at a time in my rice cooker, and thankfully the local grocer carries the big bags of Cali Blend vegetables so I don't have to go to Costco. :lol:

Now to find a tasty basic rice recipe and get er done. I've had enough, already.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Tue May 14, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby midnight87 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:27 am

I've had good luck with Mary's mini doing potatoes and veggies. I'd recommend that for sure, it really helped break my addiction. I think she does say you could do it with rice, but potatoes are less calorie dense and I believe they have more nutrients. Over the last month or so I've slowly been adding different food back in so hopefully I'll be able to tell if something is a "trigger" for me. Good luck! Definitely let us know how it goes for you whichever way you go :)
midnight87

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am

midnight87 wrote:I've had good luck with Mary's mini doing potatoes and veggies. I'd recommend that for sure, it really helped break my addiction. I think she does say you could do it with rice, but potatoes are less calorie dense and I believe they have more nutrients. Over the last month or so I've slowly been adding different food back in so hopefully I'll be able to tell if something is a "trigger" for me. Good luck! Definitely let us know how it goes for you whichever way you go :)

I love potatoes too but they give me constipation badly! I need to simplify it so much that all meals are pre-determined and I don’t have to make any decisions. And it needs to be rice for my intestines lol
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Buns, I have been toying with the idea of having a standard lunch and dinner, just like I do breakfast. My lunch would be rice and beans, and dinner potatoes (breakfast is already oatmeal). Keep us posted on how it goes! Rice is so versatile, it will be delicious.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 17, 2019 11:00 am

Lyndzie, what a great idea! Make rice and vegs for every lunch, sweet potato amd vegs for every dinner! I like it. I've been pretty successful with the rice and vegs. But lemme tell you, what a WEEK!

Where shall I start. Orion's second birthday was May 9. His mom and dad got really sick May 8, and I went over that evening to take the bday cake and Mac N Not Cheese, and helped them get the baby to bed. Stayed about an hour and a half and went home. Wylie visited on the 9th during his lunch and Orion enjoyed several pieces of ice out of Opa's ice jug. Then Wylie went back to work. My daughter and SIL were well enough that they decided to have the party and I went to that. Hung out with them, got a kiss from the baby (who we are calling Patient Zero at this point. Little carrier :\ ) That was Thursday. By Friday night, Wylie was non-functional. Throwing up, diarrhea, and a fever. I left him alone all day Saturday, and he was back on his feet, though weak, on Sunday. I was just fine. Orion stayed well.

I got up and did a short stretchy yoga routine and went to work. For some reason the yoga made me weepy (I found out why, later)... had my usual day, including cucumber and saltines for a snack at 10:15...but at noon I was not hungry for lunch. Hmmm. Went and sat in the sunshine, then came back in and it started setting in. Churning stomach. Headache. REALLY tired. I ended up leaving work an hour early, and by the time I got home I was COMPLETELY gone. Chilled to the bone, crying, huddling under blankies. Stomach symptoms went away COMPLETELY. No nausea, no gut ache.

No appetite.

When I took my temp it was climbing, and spiked into a 102.1* temperature :shock: and at this point, because I wasn't barfing, I thought cellulitis was flaring up. Nope. Ibuprofen and a night's sleep, and I woke up in a sweat and feeling a LOT better. Stayed home from work. Still no gut symptoms. Woke up Wednesday feeling so much better that I got dressed and was getting ready to go, but just putting my clothes on used up all my spoons...so, I stayed home another day.

Some time after he got home from work on Wednesday, Wylie noticed his navel hernia was no longer soft, but felt hard and he was in discomfort. He couldn't sleep, I was restless, and at 3:00 am he decided to go to the ER...drove himself. (This is another whole issue: The Stubbornness of Wylie :roll: :\ :| ) so I drove up when he texted me that he would be going into surgery. Of course, I was up and dressed within moments of his deciding he needed to be looked at, but he was going! and....GONE. So I waited at home until I heard from him. The jackass. pfft.

I was at the hospital before they wheeled him to surgery, and sat around in their waiting room. Had some off plan breakfast because by this time, after three days of almost zero caloric intake (I had no appetite AT ALL, and horrible gas after eating on Tuesday) I needed something if I was going to be of any use. There's a Starbucks in the hospital. Enough said. We went home in my car, leaving Wylie's car in the valet parking where he had gotten off...because he drove hisownself right? And after my brother got off work, he drove me up there, the valet pulled the car out and said "We noticed the right rear tire was flat"

It was FLAT. In fact, it was resting on the rim. In FACT, there was a huge gash in the inner wall, the kind of thing that sometimes happens when you (or a valet? hmmmm?) drives over a curb. So my blessing of a brother put on the spare and I got home okay. And said WTF just happened!? Whew.

But wow, a high fever will take it out of ya, though. I'm wiped out and really glad today is Friday. I did make it to work, and thankful for a desk job. If I had to do something physical I'd be down for another day I'm sure.

THE WEEK'S EATING:
Monday I had coffee and bel vita for brekkie, and sliced cucumbers/saltines for snack. And that is all.
Tuesday I had Thai curried rice for lunch, and some popsicles. My kid brought me some ginger beer. I had some of that. And that is all. Got THE worst gas.
Wednesday I had no food, because I wasn't hungry and the gas on Tuesday. But I really wasn't hungry at all. I did have some popsicles. And that is all.
Thursday morning my appetite was back so I had an egg white breakfast wrap and fruit cup at Starbucks. Also, biscotti and coffee. (the cafeteria wasn't open and I was in a bad way, blood sugar SO low)
Lunch Thursday was rice and veggies. Dinner Thursday was sweet potato and veggies. Had heartburn at bedtime.

FRIDAY'S FOOD
B: bel vita and coffee (this will change soon)
S: sliced cucumber; saltines
L: rice and veggies; clementines
D: sweet potatoes and veggies
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 am

WHAT a fun weekend! Out for a girls day with my mom, sister, and Sis-in-law. Pedicure...my first...and then we shopped. I was worried that my feet would be bad, but they never made a peep! Seriously, shopping is THE WORST thing on my feet. All the slow walking, stopping, and standing is painful, so I wasn't really looking forward to all this "shopping"...but my feet were just fine all day long. We went to several different shops, stood around giggling or oohing and aaahing at things, one time parked around the corner from the shop and walked to it, THEN stood around giggling, etc. and my feet felt the same at the end, as they did when we started. It was probably three hours worth, then we went and had a late lunch. And my feet didn't hurt when we got back up after eating and gabbing.

Then yesterday I went grocery shopping which also usually kills my feet, and I was just fine! And my feet feel great right now. Was it the pedicure? Except the massage was VERY minimal. Anyway, I'll take it.

And my energy has been through the roof! I was busy all day yesterday, except one brief snooze in the early afternoon. On Friday when I got home from work I swept the back patio (we have a mulberry tree that let go all its "caterpillars" and the patio was smothered in them) Saturday of course out shopping all day, Sunday grocery shopping, an egg run (getting several dozen eggs from my friend's backyard chickens and then taking some to my son's family, and my daughter's family, and then home, and then out again for a get together.

After a week off from yoga due to illness and recuperation, I was up and doing yoga this morning and that feels good. :nod:

Food has been okay. I did a little bit of that old "weekend off plan" eating, but not as much as I was doing in April. E.g. an omelette for lunch on Saturday, and I got SO hungry on Sunday waiting for the eggs that my friend was bringing, I had a noodle bowl and a 7-Up ... Jeez Louise! 7-Up has 240 calories! EMPTY calories! It sure tasted good, but DAYUM won't be doing that again.

Today I brought a baked potato and a Progresso soup for lunch because I forgot to prep lunch last night and got out the door in a hurry. Which is why I actually DO keep some low fat soups around the house. But I'll put together some rice and potato lunches this evening. I'm really liking how I feel, and appreciating the simplicity of starch+veggies.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 am

Feels good to be back 100% human again! A strong, very "yin" yoga practice today. My thighs are still feeling it. Food is going pretty well. It's so simple to do rice or potatoes and veggies. Yesterday I put some not-cheese sauce over them. Today is more a stir fry kind of thing so I'll put soy sauce on it.

Breakfast consists of a piece of fruit first thing, and a cup of coffee with bel vita. I know I said I wouldn't buy those again, but they're simple, flavorful, go well with coffee, and stick to my ribs as well as or better than oatmeal. They suffice.

My feet are still doing great. The ankle twinged a little bit this morning, but when I think back to the agony I was in daily with what I called "pain socks" from the sole of my foot up to the ankle, and sometimes both feet...and I shopped for over three hours on Saturday without them bothering me at all? Not bad. Now, losing 100 lbs would be MOST beneficial for all aspects of my foot and joint pain, and hopefully this strict simplicity will do it for me. I'm biding my time and not stepping on the scale until a lot later. Possibly the end of June, and meanwhile enjoying the energy and clear headed calm where I dwell.

Note to self: Progresso doesn't taste as good as it costs. Except the lentil soup. That is good.

TUESDAY'S FOOD PLAN:
B: an apple; coffee; bel vita
S: sliced cuke, saltines
L: rice and stir fry vegs; clementines
D: potatoes and vegs
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Another really good yoga practice this morning. I've gotten near the end of the series, and things are getting more challenging. Standing Splits yesterday, and Warrior III today. Those'll work your quads. Good stuff!

Food continues good, though I am currently craving chocolate or something sweet. But I got out for lunch and had pho which as always was yummy. I just couldn't sit in the break room...my introvert is strong today and I didn't want to try and make small talk while I ate.

But I made a big batch of rice and beans last night, so that'll be meals for a while. :nod:

Hopefully I can get through the rest of my day without caving on the chocolate.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu May 23, 2019 8:58 am

A mild, slow paced yoga practice this morning. Running on about 5 hours of sleep today, as I couldn't fall asleep last night. *coughthankswyliecough* I did good at a graduation party though! Ate before I went, and simply wasn't hungry while there.

However, I did have quite the snack while driving home from work, BEFORE dinner...dolmathes and olives from the olive bar at Smith's/Kroger and a hard roll. While I drove. SMH And dinner when I got home, and I didn't eat the hors d'oeuvres at the party. Maybe a Jordan Almond at one point. A rice cracker perhaps. Had a beer.

I don't know how I'll do today...I feel irritable and frustrated at the moment and not sure how to handle it. I brought on plan food for lunch but who knows with the between meal snacking. One downside to menopause is these moods hit, and you never get your period. So you never know if it's hormones or personal interactions, or is it hormones that are charging my personal interactions *coughWyliesajerkcough* with irritation? I really don't think this is hormone related though. Let's just say I'm glad I have a job to go to and don't have to hang out with people at home. :roll:

At any rate, I feel like I need to have a 20 minute sit and breathe today. Ugh.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Thu May 23, 2019 7:08 pm

You made me laugh with your coughing!! So funny! Hang in there. Menopause will pass and you'll feel better, I promise. The wise person knows when it is time to get out of the house for a pause - even if it is a man-o-pause. Take care.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri May 24, 2019 10:41 am

moonlight wrote:You made me laugh with your coughing!! So funny! Hang in there. Menopause will pass and you'll feel better, I promise. The wise person knows when it is time to get out of the house for a pause - even if it is a man-o-pause. Take care.

Manopause hahahaha!

That's exactly what I needed! A man-o-pause! ha! But seriously, we gotta figure a few things out. Sometimes the stress is pretty bad.

Eating. I did end up emotional eating yesterday with Pearson's mint patties. After a fully compliant lunch of rice and beans that was DELICIOUS! We also went out for dinner and I had tofu curry SO YUMMY loaded with coconut milk and super high fat. I brought the leftovers for lunch today.

So, my "starch and steamed veggies" regimen lasted what, a little over a week? BUT I will go back to it again starting with dinner today, I"m sure. I have a lot of the beans and rice left, and it's a cool enough spring that continuing with soups is legit. Maybe I'll make the Not Chicken Soup. That sounds really good. :nod:

No yoga this morning. Yesterday's practice hurt my knee a bit, so I was feeling wonky and skipped it.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 28, 2019 7:52 am

The holiday weekend was pretty horrendous, food-wise. Now back to normalcy. A starch and veggies on my plate. That is all.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals