Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby Ruff » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:47 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I also have a sister who listens to doctors rather than trying diet. Also a vegetarian. In her case its cancer.

Keep pointing out that it will do not harm to try diet, it may do no good, but there is no harm so hey...its worth it for a few months and then test again. Also, buy the books for her, people are great at saying they will get the books, but never doing it. If someone hands you the book you are more likely to at least glance at it.

good luck.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:47 am

Ruff wrote:I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I also have a sister who listens to doctors rather than trying diet. Also a vegetarian. In her case its cancer.

Keep pointing out that it will do not harm to try diet, it may do no good, but there is no harm so hey...its worth it for a few months and then test again. Also, buy the books for her, people are great at saying they will get the books, but never doing it. If someone hands you the book you are more likely to at least glance at it.

good luck.

Hi Kate,

Yeah, I want to order it for her on Amazon and have it delivered to her address. I WANT to hand her my copy of the thing, but I can't find it, or Starch Solution or any of my cookbooks. They're in a box from our last move. I did send her the link to a Google Books copy, which is an e-book version and she said she'd read it for sure. But I'm going to check on that after a while. Everything online recommends eliminating red meats, but including "healthy" oils like olive oil and one chart I saw even included safflower, canola, etc with a total fat intake of 30% :shock: :roll: It's beyond me why using oils is considered healthy.

feeling pretty dang good. It only took a few days. My energy is up there, and I'm recovering quickly. Yesterday I spent a few hours helping my daughter clean her old apartment after a move. It felt good to be moving, and none of it was super difficult. Their kitchen was HORRIBLE. One corner was just like a hoarder's house. Nasty. But I tackled it and vacuumed the main room while she kept busy with baseboards and walls. Also, getting the greasy residue off the top edge of cupboard doors that her partner had taken off for a project that never got finished. But I kicked butt. My feet were hurting by the end, but I didn't feel wiped out.

In fact, this is one of the things I love about this food plan. You can do things and it doesn't wipe you out. I remember when I first started. I was an aide in a home health/respite care agency and I was at a client's house. It was close to Xmas and his mom was putting up the tree. She wanted it absolutely coated with lights, but she herself had a lot of ailments and didn't have the gumption to do it, so while my client rested, we turned on the TV and I spent my shift there putting lights on every twig of that tree. It was several hours of non-stop, and when I realized that I wasn't worn out I knew it was the new way of eating. I felt the difference. And it's there again. After three hours of busting butt, I was tired but I wasn't useless. It was a good, energized tired.

Today is day four of being really strict with it, and it's working already :) which I knew it would.

DAY FOUR
B: frosted mini wheats; berries; oatmilk; coffee
L: rice & chili w. spinach
S: rice snack crackers :oops:
D: dal over rice w. spinach; sliced zucchini and tomatoes w. balsamic YUMMMMM
S: two otter pops :oops:

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods :mrgreen:
2. Eliminate All Oils :mrgreen:
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives. :mrgreen:
4. Eliminate All Flour Products :?
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes :mrgreen:
6. Eat Legumes :mrgreen:
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal :mrgreen:
8. Eat Uncooked Foods :mrgreen:
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice :mrgreen:
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly :mrgreen:

Guidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied :mrgreen:
2. Graze/a snack or two :mrgreen:
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety :mrgreen:
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am

DAY FIVE

B: chili w. rice; cherries; melon
L: Dal over rice w. spinach
S: otter pops; chestnuts
S: zucchini wedges w balsamic YUMMMM
D: potatoes; sugar snap peas; baby carrots

3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives. :mrgreen:
4. Eliminate All Flour Products :mrgreen:
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal :?
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice :mrgreen:
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly :?

3. Allow time for digestion :roll:
4. Chew foods thoroughly :-) I thought about chewing well :lol:

Ate some cherries last night and they're coming through me today. Oof. Woke up too early so I'll be sleepworking today.
Foot pain is reduced. Feeling pretty good.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:10 am

DAY SIX
B: frosted mini wheats; oatmilk; banana; coffee
L: huge salad w. rice and black beans
S: seaweed snacks; chestnuts
D: potatoes, sugar snap peas, baby carrots, cucumber

a word on these snacks. They are fat free and no added oil. The chestnuts are probably calorie dense. The flavor of the seaweed...yum. They use bonita for the flavor so it isn't vegan but it sure is good.

1. Eat until you’re satisfied
4. Chew foods thoroughly :mrgreen:

Okay this eating until satiated. I've been really good about it, but then finding myself hungry much sooner than usual. I guess that's where the occasional snack comes in.

Made my big batch of dal and nuked some red potatoes. Shopping today and buying more potatoes. Doing really well emotionally/mentally. I think the sunshine makes a huge difference. Vitamin D, FTW! but I also credit at least some of it to beginning to clear the sludge from my blood. No added fats, FTW!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 am

oof I've been hit by sudden waves of nausea here and there the past few days. Once, at 2:30 a.m. suddenly I was drooling with that salty yellow pain taste that you get in your mouth right before throwing up. I got out of bed and went to the restroom because I thought I was going to toss.

And randomly sitting at work suddenly just ICK. What's going on? I was reading the gastrointestinal symptoms of Covid-19 and it also mentions diarrhea "Four BM's in a day" :lol: :lol: :lol: BUT nausea is a symptom of mild cases of Covid. I wonder if I should get tested. Meanwhile wearing my mask in public places.

DAY SEVEN
B: melon; frosted mini wheats; oat milk
L: dal over rice; romaine lettuce
D: fat free pretzels; (forgot to bring potatoes) sugar snap peas; baby carrots

2. Graze :mrgreen:
4. Chew foods thoroughly
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:32 am

DAY EIGHT

I was sick. Nausea and gas all day long. Felt just slightly feverish but my thermometer is broken and registered 95.3 hahahaha... Never threw up, and only vaguely diarrhea-ish. I had a cup of broth with rice and some melon. At dinner time I felt well enough to have dal over toast.

DAY NINE

weight 242 down 6 :nod: Next official weigh in: 8/31/2020

B: frosted mini wheats; berries; oat milk
L: dal over rice
S: seaweed snack
S: Asian pear
D: cucumber, tomato, and onion salad w oil free dressing; nuked red potatoes

Feeling better today. The work piled up in one day so both email inboxes that I cover are loaded. That's fun. Meh, keeps me busy. Makes time pass quickly. But I wouldn’t want another day like today, ever. Otherwise, still sticking to things tightly in the food department.

Haven't had chocolate or anything with added fat AT ALL. The first few days I was having these little rice cracker nibbles for a snack now and then. Which is processed and high sodium. I'll not get more of them, though I might have them for snacks until they are gone. But also, haven’t had any at all for several days.

2. Graze
4. Chew foods thoroughly
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:38 pm

Forgot about the updated MWL guidelines

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. 3.Choose fruit for dessert.
4.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
5.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
6.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
7.Eliminate any added oil.
8.Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
9.Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

That first one “ Start each meal with soup and or salad and or fruit“
I did that one time and was so full after a bowl of soup that I couldn’t eat any of my actual meal. Decided that following the basic “no processed” version of McDougalling would be good enough. I don’t care for salad, it’s too hot for soup. Imma do what I’m doing.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:03 am

DAY TEN
Feeling really gross again. A headache slammed me in the evening on Tuesday, and I got in a half day of work as I woke feeling okay, but got feeling yuckier and yuckier so I took the rest of the day off after my lunch break. Actually went and got Covid testing because of the gastro-intestinal symptoms and that sudden headache that put my on my back, plus feeling feverish off and on all night. Being obese, I'm in a category for risk of a more severe version. Anyway, I think it will come back negative but I wanted to make sure.

As for food, I did eat

B: frosted mini wheats; a banana
L: watermelon
S: rice w. peas
D: Ramen soup w. miso broth (Not the kind you buy in a little .10c packet, but fat free that I bought at the Asian store)

2. Graze
4. Chew foods thoroughly
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:09 am

DAY 11

Here I am. Feeling grody again. Going to try to put in a day at work. I've been taking regular doses of oregano oil for fighting this off.

So halfway through the day, my stomach is feeling better. Just ate lunch, and things feel normal. I was a little queasy after a bowl of grits for brekkie.

B: Grits; cherries; 1 T brown sugar
L: Ramen w. sliced mushroom and miso broth YUMMMMMY (same noodles as last night dinner. Three ing: wheat flour, water, salt)
S: fruit smoothie that Wylie made and brought to me and it's yummy
D: Yellow crook neck saute with onion and mushroom over rice; seasoned garbanzo beans; sliced tomatoes

Before this blue gomboo hit, my energy was picking up but lately I've been dragging. HOWEVER my aches and pains are greatly reduced and I'm thankful for that. I feel like eating this clean is also helping in the fight against whatever's trying to get me.

2. Eliminate All Oils : :mrgreen:
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice :?

2. Graze
4. Chew foods thoroughly
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:55 am

DAY 12

It's Friday and I think I kicked whatever was coming at me this past week or so. Oregano oil FTW!

B: frosted mini wheats; banana; oatmeal
L: dal over rice; saute'd yellow squash, onion, mushroom
S: fruit smoothie
D: nuked potatoes; baby carrots
S: pot stickers; watermelon; rice cake

Today I go to my PT after my FT. Long day, but the PT is zero stress. FT has some stress, but it's the good kind. Yesterday was a day of accomplishments and finished projects. Feels good not to have a pile up in my inbox. It was a really good day, busy but not socked. In fact, we didn't know it, but our phones were down for several hours in the morning :lol: so I got a lot done. And I was chosen by my team lead for reaching out to a guy that was frustrated and having difficulties with our certification system. When they know you're the best one to talk to a stressed out person :nod:

Going to work on chewing thoroughly today.

This bedtime snack wasn’t the best idea, especially the pot stickers. I wanted sushi but there was nothing I could eat so I had potstickers and they probably had oil. I noticed a film on my lips after I ate them. Thing is I grabbed them from the grocery store at the sushi counter on my way home from work and I didn’t need them or anything else to eat that very moment. “It’s okay to be hungry” I could’ve gone straight home and had my watermelon. Anyway no more of that.

2. Eliminate All Oils :oops:
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice :?

2. Graze
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:21 am

August 8
DAY 13

B: Oatmeal w blueberries
L: rice w. dal; watermelon
S: a couple of otter pops
D: nuked potatoes; sugar snap peas; baby carrots

7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal :?
8. Eat Uncooked Foods

2. Graze
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:02 pm

August 9
DAY 14

B: frosted mini wheats; oat milk; banana; blueberries
L: rice and spinach; garbanzo beans. Everything bagel seasoning (SOOOOO salty!); watermelon
D: nuked potatoes; peas and carrots

Feeling really good. Haven't had to take ibuprofen for two days but feeling like I might take some today. I keep feeling the fat to see if it's looser :lol: Not yet. I guess my boobs will shrink some at the beginning. That's the first place I always lose. But it is nice not to have the levels of pain in my feet and knees and YES the weight loss is like the frosting on the cake. Can't say my energy is soaring, but I've gotten badly in the habit of sitting. Hopefully I can break out of that.

2. Graze
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ruff » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:52 pm

so, just checking here...you are sticking strictly to MWL, and you are losing the pains in your hands and feet? Is that correct?

And also, well done on the renewed impetus. I know the reason is not at all a happy one, but sometimes it takes an earthquake.....it did for me. And I think, maybe I need another one now.....
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 am

Ruff wrote:so, just checking here...you are sticking strictly to MWL, and you are losing the pains in your hands and feet? Is that correct?

And also, well done on the renewed impetus. I know the reason is not at all a happy one, but sometimes it takes an earthquake.....it did for me. And I think, maybe I need another one now.....

Hi Katie

thanks for dropping by. Yeah, I'm finding that my aches and pains are minimal these days. I'm sure it's due to cutting added fats and oils./ My routine has been to take two or four ibuprofen, morning and night, just to keep the pain at bay. These days, I take ibuprofen if I need it. Nice.

It's funny how I've been looking at the weight as the only issue, but forgot how all the body's systems are benefited by eating this way. As for my new impetus, yes my sister's heart disease is alarming TO THE MAX. But also, I'm 59 years old. I can start now and in one year, when I am 60, I will be 12 months along. Or delay (some more) and just keep being fat and getting fatter, and also feeling like crap.

So I'm keeping in mind that weight loss is only one benefit of McDougalling, and the system-wide benefits are huge. :nod:

August 10
DAY 15

B: frosted mini wheats
L: lemon rice soup; salad w. tomatoes and capers
S: potatoes; zucchini stix
D: Chinese take home. I requested no oil, and there was none in my entree. The soup felt oily so I didn't eat it all. That lip coating that foods with oils give you. blech.

2. Eliminate All Oils :oops:

2. Graze
5. Restrict variety
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:24 am

Decided to look at the upgraded MWL guidelines. Some of them should be helpful. Of course, no animal foods, and high fat plant foods or refined fats. But the 50/50 plate is good. Also, it occurred to me this morning, I've been having rice cakes for a snack now and then. They're fat free, but yeah...calorie dense, aren't they? I think they're much better than tortilla chips though ;) Or buttered popcorn.

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
3.Choose fruit for dessert.
4.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
5.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
6.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
7.Eliminate any added oil.
8.Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
9.Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals