Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 am

Hi Moonlight! thanks for this strong wisdom. I do know the value of allowing the pain. I've experienced healing after pain socked me so hard I literally couldn't stand up...mental pain, not physical, during my divorce...yeah, it was scary and it was SO DIFFICULT but am I ever glad I went through it, because on the other side THAT particular source of pain no longer scares me. It still hurts, but it isn't a burden anymore. it just "is". And that is a wonderful place to be.

In fact, one of the difficult things about this all is how inhuman the attacker seemed. He was like a monster, and in fact my dreams that night were full of him as a monster, or as a perturbed animal. I love people, and I value human beings as HUMAN...made in God's image, worthy of respect and dignity...but not this guy. He was horrible, and he remains horrible in my mind. Not "deeply wounded and to be pitied" but EW GET HIM AWAAAAAY! that is not a good place to be, and it is something I'll have to work through.

So, there is a lingering low level stress from that trauma on Sunday night, plus work has been a bit edgy this week. Yesterday was one of "those days" with difficult calls, bossy bosses at stressful rushed meetings, unhappy coworkers, and feeling a tiny bit "thrown under the bus" by a team lead who remembers some things differently than I do, and a software system that nobody likes because IT SUCKS.

And that's enough of that. It isn't much fun feeling that build up in my neck and shoulders, but I don't have to let it affect me. I'll just do my job and keep a low profile today. I got finished with a kind of largish project yesterday so today should be a breeze, task-wise. Morale-wise...hm. Just breathe, eh? And remember the value of gratefulness. I know that I can literally change my mind by thinking about the wonderful blessings abounding in my life. After a good cry ;)

so...last night I made Congee rice, using brown rice. OMG so good! One cup of brown rice, 10 cups of liquid (water and vegetable broth) plus two chunks of fresh ginger and some salt and about 2 hours of slow cooking turned out a yield of more than six cups of soft, warm, flavorful, gooey rice porridge! And it can go toward a sweet/dessert/breakfast or savory as a dinner or lunch. YUM! I'll do that again for sure! I cut up half a dozen mushrooms, a green onion, and put in a small handful of frozen berries this morning for brekkie. And I'm still thinking about it. :nod: Now...so far I'm not hungry again which I expected, it being rice and all...but nope. Not an issue three hours later (and believe me, sometimes with oatmeal I AM hungry by this time in the morning) but we'll see how 10:30 feels. Either way, it is still a luscious, delicious food that I plan on making again.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:50 pm

mmmm, I suddenly got a craving for caramelized onions! I'm going to make me a batch and put them over mashed potatoes. Yum!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 am

Okay, I got the "must eat chocolate for stress" out of my system. Even the thought of it doesn't appeal today. Possibly because I don't have any available :lol: but the office feels less prickly today, too. It was an unhappy place for a couple of days. New boss, flexing her muscles. Arghhhh! Now the dust has settled and everyone is just doing their job.

and I'm excited for tonight, because my siblings and I are going out for dinner and a show at the planetarium: Led Zeppelin light show! and California Pizza Kitchen, which I know has very good options for me. :) Gonna be SO much fun! What a blessing it is to have a brother and sister who are my good friends. My family entirely is good. We have our strange little quirks, and a huge disagreement politically with our current Toddler in Chief...some of us like him, some of us don't, and we disagree heartily, but we don't fight about it...isn't that GRAND!... and people coming in on a "high holiday" like Thanksgiving or St Patrick's Day with the whole family there might sit and observe, shaking their heads ever so slightly at our silliness, but DANG I have a good family.

And tonight it's just me, my brother, and my sister. The Siblings. No spouses; no mom. Just us. Yay!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

OMG! We had the most amazing fun time together! We drank enough to get giddy, and at 420 we took a little break, then walked around the mall laughing at each other. Stopped at B&N for a potty break got hysterical over book titles... and the Led Zeppelin laser light show was SO freaking cool! Fun fun fun! and stress washed right down the drain. Having fun like that is just exactly what the Dr ordered, and I'm so glad that my brother and my sister are my friends. Yeah, tequila and beer are not on the McDougall plan, and probably going to Colorado isn't either...but I care about my health, and so I went out and painted the town...parts of the town...a lovely, enlivening, energizing hue of red with two of my favorite people on the planet! ;)

Eating is all the way back to normal. I made some mushroom gravy and a huge batch of rice. Bought 15 lbs of potatoes (10 russet, 5 red and I want to get some yellow taters in the house) I also bought steamables veggies, following Landdog's lead for simple lunches. The veggies can stay in the freezer at work, and I can bring a serving of rice, or a couple of nuked potatoes to go with. :) I've been listening to Dr Neal Barnard on youtube while doing the mindless repetitive part of my job, so that's nice.

Nothing more to report.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 am

SOUP IS MAGIC

So, a few days ago I took a baggie of something out of the freezer...cooked barley with carrots. So I made barley mushroom soup on the spot. Onions and celery, saute'd; the thawed cooked barley; eight cups of water; a couple of thick slices of cabbage, chopped. Some parsley. And cook for 30 minutes until it is food. :) Then I put in a big dollop of ketchup, and it needed something pungent, but I didn't have any horseradish BUT I have mustard with horseradish in it and squoze a big squeeze of that into the soup. PERFECT. I just love how barley thickens soup.

Which brings up the question, from Mary McDougall's mushroom barley soup recipe out of The Starch Solution...that recipe calls for 1/8 tsp of wasabi powder, and let me tell you, I know this from experience...that makes ZERO difference in the flavor. AT ALL. Is Mary a super taster or something? because I couldn't get even a hint of wasabi flavor. When I made a full tsp into a paste and turned a bowl upside down over it, I got an eye-watering whiff, so the wasabi is good. But 1/8 tsp for a huge pot of soup? Even that full tsp, activated and burning my nose hairs, didn't show up in the flavor of the soup. I stopped putting it in, because it wasn't making a smidgen of difference.

anyway,that huge squeeze of horseradish mustard added the tang I was looking for, and I have soup enough for a couple of dinners. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Buns,

That soup sounds good! I'm wanting another yummy soup. I made the Green Potato Soup recipe from MWL cookbook but it just never screams my name like the Mushroom Barley or the Sweet Potato Chowder. I loved both of those from the cookbook.

I wanted to comment on your adventure with your siblings. I think that your metabolism was burning higher because you were pumped and having fun so the calories from tequila and beer got burned up! Sounds like lots of fun!
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Hi moonlight :) Yeah, I think we burned up the calories and even if not, it was too much fun NOT to do it. Don't you love soup? I think it's magic. Throw a bunch of things together in a big pot, cover with water, boil for a while and VOILA! food!

~~~~~

Feeling IBS'ey today. :cry: like I want to stick close to the toilet. And I can't figure out why. My eating has been really good. Nothing oily, I didn't eat a brownie from yesterday's bday celebration at work, no dairy. Maybe the barley soup. My digestion has had difficulty with that in the past. It's an unpleasant place to be. But i think I fried my guts during the holidays and am still recuperating from that. Oh, for a normal poop!

Going out to a fancy restaurant tonight, for Valentine's Day. I've looked at their menu and they have vegan offerings. I'm sure it'll be rich, but I'm going to treat today like a moderate feast day and not stress over it. I'll keep my head about me, but we'll be eating in the finest gourmet restaurant in the state. Yes, I'm going to taste things and eat things, and feast on things. As for meals today, simple, humble food. ;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 am

Okay, the fancy restaurant. First of all, it was very busy, and we got there early and waited for our table for about 15 minutes, in front of a lovely fire, while the serving staff entered and exited the kitchen, and it was only a drape that separated it, not a door. And it was QUIET. I don't know if the kitchen was farther back or something, but we didn't hear any noise of the sort you'd expect. The servers were coming and going, and there were several hosts/hostesses seating people, and a maitre d' settling people in the lounge/waiting area.

When we walked in, I was given a long stem red rose. :)

White linen tablecloths, clear crystal wine stems, a candle.

we started with an appetizer: Alpine Nachos, made with thick cut house chips, and topped with THE most delicious tasting mushrooms I've EVER put in my mouth. There was speck (which is a ham type thing) that I avoided, and I chose chips that didn't have cheese on them. But there was slivers of green onion, and those were delectable, too. We did opt for a little bit of truffle oil. And the AROMA! oy!

My salad was baby greens with avocado and toasted pine nuts and just a touch of lemon juice. OMG arugula and avocado are meant for each other! And the pine nuts...oh man! That salad was the best thing about my meal. And all of it was just wonderful.

The only vegetarian entree offered was a vegetarian bolognese over linguine, using pea protein instead of meat. The taste was superb and I did relish the food. It would have been even better if there had been a vegetable marinara sauce. Or!!! Ratatouille! oooh over linguine! :eek:

The pea protein, then. I know they were trying to duplicate the flavor and texture of meat, but it came across sort of pellet-y. It didn't taste bad, and the flavors of the sauce were just perfect. But the little pellets weren't a turn on. I want to have a visit with the chef and say "vegetarians don't REALLY need meat substitutes. The veggies, man! Run with the veggies!" or heck, offer the meat substitute dish AND a veggie marinara. Or what about a sublime mushroom gravy over rice or quinoa, with a big serving of roasted broccoli? Gosh, wouldn't that be GOOD!

Anyway. We enjoyed our food and the restaurant immensely, and though the portions seemed small, we left our table fully satisfied AND didn't need dessert. I consider it a feast day, so I'm not coloring yesterday red. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:59 pm

moonlight wrote:Hi Buns,

That soup sounds good! I'm wanting another yummy soup. I made the Green Potato Soup recipe from MWL cookbook but it just never screams my name like the Mushroom Barley or the Sweet Potato Chowder. I loved both of those from the cookbook.

I wanted to comment on your adventure with your siblings. I think that your metabolism was burning higher because you were pumped and having fun so the calories from tequila and beer got burned up! Sounds like lots of fun!

hmmm, sweet potato chowder. It's time to cook again...hmmmm
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am

I made the Sweet Potato Chowder from the MWL book. It's okay. it's soup, so it IS magic and I'm going to eat it all. But I don't know that I'll make it again.

Wylie bought Cinnabon sweet rolls yesterday. Four of them in a cute little turquoise box. I ignored them, and when he mentioned that I could have one if I wanted...because he wasn't going to eat them all...I just shrugged. First of all, I wasn't even vaguely tempted and secondly I am SERIOUS about getting this fat off my body. And thought nothing more of it until this morning.

My sweet man is very good to me. He listens, and remembers what I say, and he is aware. I can be having a rough moment, not even knowing my own self, and he'll say "What's going on?" land lets me talk about it and helps me through it even when I don't KNOW why I'm having a rough time or even THAT I am having a rough time. He picks up my signals. It's awesome. I've never known anyone, let alone a MAN, who did this. I certainly don't. He's also really good at selecting gifts and he loves to snuggle which...hello? And he's frank about things, which brings up this little gripe.

I've gained weight since we got together, about 45 lbs :( and put myself back into the obese category at a weight that I NEVER thought I'd be again. He is not cruel, and he's told me that it's okay, and he is still physically affectionate. We enjoy each other in a genuinely good way. BUT...my winter coat is too small for my butt these days, so I don't zip it up. He casually said"too fat, eh?" and I simply said "Yep" (because it truly doesn't hurt my feelings...I'm fat, I know it, I am in zero denial about the reasons or what I actually look like and feel like.) and we've talked about it here and there. How he's put on seven pounds since we met and I've gained two jeans sizes. garrrr! :roll:

Anyway WYLIE if you know and I know that I need to lose a lot of weight, and you've mentioned it with your signature frankness, why do you offer me fat pills? WHY? and then when I said I didn't want any he said "Riiiight" like seriously? but if you buy four cinnabons and you don't want to eat them all...DON'T BUY THEM. Doi. Because I ain't gonna eat em.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 am

It was so weird yesterday, where my head was at. Because I ate a hearty lunch, I wasn't hungry all afternoon, but I felt like I wanted to eat something. Because I wasn't hungry, I didn't eat anything but I went around wishing I felt hungry, because I wanted to eat something. Honestly. Like, my brain was full of thoughts about food all afternoon! What the hay. :duh:

but...nothing appealed to me, and I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat. I got hungry in the evening and had dinner. :-D
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:57 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:SOUP IS MAGIC

So, a few days ago I took a baggie of something out of the freezer...cooked barley with carrots. So I made barley mushroom soup on the spot. Onions and celery, saute'd; the thawed cooked barley; eight cups of water; a couple of thick slices of cabbage, chopped. Some parsley. And cook for 30 minutes until it is food. :) Then I put in a big dollop of ketchup, and it needed something pungent, but I didn't have any horseradish BUT I have mustard with horseradish in it and squoze a big squeeze of that into the soup. PERFECT. I just love how barley thickens soup.

Which brings up the question, from Mary McDougall's mushroom barley soup recipe out of The Starch Solution...that recipe calls for 1/8 tsp of wasabi powder, and let me tell you, I know this from experience...that makes ZERO difference in the flavor. AT ALL. Is Mary a super taster or something? because I couldn't get even a hint of wasabi flavor. When I made a full tsp into a paste and turned a bowl upside down over it, I got an eye-watering whiff, so the wasabi is good. But 1/8 tsp for a huge pot of soup? Even that full tsp, activated and burning my nose hairs, didn't show up in the flavor of the soup. I stopped putting it in, because it wasn't making a smidgen of difference.

anyway,that huge squeeze of horseradish mustard added the tang I was looking for, and I have soup enough for a couple of dinners. :)

OMG!

I was just about to pop onto these boards to say EXACTLY that soup is magic. I discovered the magic of soup on 2/5 and my eating hasn’t been the same since.

And soup nourishes you for 2/3 of th3 calories, and 1/3 the cost. It has been transformative to me!
roundcoconut

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm

roundcoconut wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:SOUP IS MAGIC

OMG!

I was just about to pop onto these boards to say EXACTLY that soup is magic. I discovered the magic of soup on 2/5 and my eating hasn’t been the same since.

And soup nourishes you for 2/3 of th3 calories, and 1/3 the cost. It has been transformative to me!

I love it! First of all, when that happens, two people thinking about the same thing at the same time. Spooky action at a distance! and then...soup. One of the things I love about Fall and Winter is that it's good soup weather. :) I'm going to make some more this evening, since I have some black beans that i cooked up and haven't done anything with. Yummmy soup!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:09 am

My commute this morning!

We had a snow storm in Utah...finally. Mid February, winter arrives? But anyway, getting to work...for some reason the plows had not been on the road leading to the interstate. Okay, once I get on the freeway, it'll be better, right? NOPE! Traffic was congested badly...and I could see that the freeway also had not been plowed recently, so I just got back off at the next exit...where I found that road HAD been plowed. Okay, so I thought I'd turn on state street. You know, a four lane highway through town. Nope. NOT PLOWED! What gives! And besides, everyone who wasn't going three mph on the congested freeway, was going three mph plus stopping for lights, on State Street...

Well, looking up the street I was on, i could see that it was clear: no traffic and no snow pack. Heh. The narrow, two lane, side street was plowed; the major arteries were clogged ;)

So, because I could get there going that way, I decided to stay on the road I was on, and found myself on a quiet winding little street, with snow decked trees on both sides, and maybe two cars. It was delightful! Everything had that new snow whiteness to it, and things were so still and nice. It floored me with the beauty of it, and I had a joyful drive to work! There were three blocks of more serious traffic as I got off the side road and back onto a busier street, and once again just astounded to find a major street NOT PLOWED! ? !
:?: :eek: but I only had to go one block to the light, turn, and then into the parking lot at my job two blocks from there.

How can it be that my most enjoyable commute was in the middle of a big winter storm? Grateful this morning :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:09 am

Wondering what the atmosphere at work is going to be like today. Boss Lady is rather psycho, and unpredictable. Several of us contacted HR yesterday. We shared the emails with each other and I am appalled at some of what my co-workers have gone through with this person. Mine is a less personal problem, having to do with the supervisor treating her team like girlfriends, with whom you share every intimate detail of your psychotic life. NOT appropriate, and I said as much in my email to HR. But my WORD, the things that have been going on with others on the team!

Anyway, there's stress, plain and simple, and today I think I'm just going to keep my head down and do my job, the best I can (there are things I have got to do, which depend on Boss Lady doing some things ahead of time THAT I AM PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF DOING but she wants to be the one to do them...okay. But Boss Lady? DO THOSE THINGS so I can do MY things! Or let me do them because I'VE DONE THEM 100'S OF TIMES AND KNOW HOW TO DO THEM!!!! :angry: )

ehem.

Keeping my head down, and looking for the blessings.

One of which is the DELICIOUS brown rice congee I made last night. Talk about magic. One cup of rice, plus 10 cups of liquid, plus salt and a couple chunks of ginger, plus about two hours of low simmer and you come out with four cups of REALLY good food. A good starch base for pretty much whatever you want to do. Yes, I am grateful for brown rice congee.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals