Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 am

Hi Lyndzie,

Yeah, the energy has been amazing. I just need to remember I'm not in my 30's anymore :? We haven't set a date yet...sometime maybe in the spring next year? I've been wanting to get more settled in our new place, and that is starting to actually happen. The hummus is a store made item, from Harmon's grocery, which is a Utah company...unless they're in other states. Could be! but I found it in their produce department and was tickled to see no oil in the indgredient list! Though it is still not "low fat" due to the tahini. But it makes a delicious creamy salad dressing. :nod:

At home things are shaping up. We have a big clear area now, and Wylie has put up our wall mirror and clock...he owns a tick-tock, chiming clock that needs winding and has a pendulum and everything. I was happy when he put it up. It makes the place seem all the more like home. I was worried there for a while, as he wasn't doing things, feeling discouraged about living in his future MIL's basement. And a future MIL that drives him crazy, even though they do love each other. But yeah, two strong-willed people. A woman who wants things her way, and a man who doesn't like to be told what to do... :roll: so he wasn't all that "into" getting things done around the place, but in the past few days he has been more contented and got some things done. Noice!

We're finagling the microwave...

When my mother received a microwave for Xmas in 1976, well she got it early because something needed cooking up really fast, so my dad hauled it out on Thanksgiving :lol: Anyway, that microwave was 100% analog. Practically steampunk. And she still had it two months ago. No, she never did upgrade. 40+ years later it was still working just fine. You turned the dial and pushed a big clunky button and it did the job. Huge. No turntable inside. The dinger didn't work anymore, and the light didn't light up. Etc. But she was still using it, and proud of it, frankly. But because of its size, it never did have a place on the counter top. It was stationed in a corner of the kitchen near the back door entry, and took up half the entrance space. IOW, people had to sidle to get in! and Wylie said "um, this has got to go"

It was a sticking point, one of the things that made me say to myself "If they kill each other, I'll have the place to myself. Mwaahahahaha" but he prevailed and we moved the antique microwave out to the shed. My mom voiced the hope that maybe we'll use it if we need something heated up when we are having a bbq out back :lol: my sweet cute mom.

So, she went and got a new microwave and set it on the countertop, and plugged it into a different outlet. Which has been fine all this time until we started using the space heater, what with the Autumn chill in the air. Well wouldn't you know it...running the microwave on that outlet, plus the space heater at the same time blew the circuit, putting out all the lights and the TV in the basement and the fridge, microwave, and keurig in the kitchen. So Wylie-Fixer-Man moved the microwave over to the top of the dishwasher.

The dishwasher is not built in. It sits in the corner across from where the microwave used to live. You wheel it over to the sink, attach it to the faucet by a hose, plug it in, push the buttons, etc. So it kind of functions as extra work space, or a dandy clutter collector, as needed. Well Wylie put the microwave on the dishwasher and using a high voltage extension cord, plugged that bad boy in at the original Microwave Outlet :nod: so there's a cord across to the outlet, but it isn't on the outlet that blows a breaker and we're giving that a try. She used it this morning while the space heater was running and it was just fine. No circuit collapse. The only drawback is we'll be unplugging it when not in use. :lol: because the cord stretches across the HALLWAY entrance to the kitchen.

ah, the joys of a kitchen built in the 40's. 8)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby SilverDollar123 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Buns! Your mom& I would get along just fine. I have a microwave from Sears about 1992 ish. Lrge. is programable, still works
& still using it! Also have the dishwasher portable! lol Must be our post depression generation age! lol.

Glad you are moving in & getting more comfortable. Glad Wylie is handy man. A sure keeper! :nod: RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:46 pm

SilverDollar123 wrote:Hi Buns! Your mom& I would get along just fine. I have a microwave from Sears about 1992 ish. Lrge. is programable, still works
& still using it! Also have the dishwasher portable! lol Must be our post depression generation age! lol.

Glad you are moving in & getting more comfortable. Glad Wylie is handy man. A sure keeper! :nod: RAS

Me too, truth be told. I completely understand her desire to keep it and use it. I mean, 40 years and it's still chugging along? Who wouldn't want to keep using it. But yeah, way too big for the kitchen. Heh, maybe we really WILL use it for heating up food outside during bbq's :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Well isn't that speshul. I have a root canal and crown, since 2013. Costing about $2500 all told, IIRC. Making the decision to have the root canal...I weighed all that (expensive) work against having the tooth extracted. I was getting advice pro and con both sides. One plus of having it pulled was, once you get it out and recover, you never have to think about it again. And the cost of an extraction is about 1/4 the cost of a root canal and crown. Of course the dentist(s) were advising FOR the RC and crown, and one of their arguments was the longer recuperation time for an extraction, plus there are ligaments and such that were perfectly healthy, and no reason to rip into those, etc.

Well now here I am five years later with the same toothache. I was worried that the tooth next to the crown was rotten and needed a root canal but no, the problem is with the root canal I've already had. There could be infection inside...which would also explain my overall feeling icky the last two or three days.

Oh thank GOODNESS I spent all that money for a root canal and crown for a grand total of FIVE YEARS before it went bad anyway. :\ :angry: :mad: Now I get to spend more money looking into the cause of this pain, and decide what to do with it. I mean, removal of the tooth now becomes one of my recommended options. SMH. Which makes me think having that darn thing yanked to begin with was the better option.

Researching this back then, and just now I find some information...evidently about 30% of root canals fail, and the most common cause of a failed root canal is unfilled canals. That's something my dentist told me. In this tooth, the usual number of canals is three, but sometimes there are four, and if that's the case and the endodontis who did the surgery five years ago missed it, then that unfilled canal can get infected. To find out if this is the case, I can have a 3-D scan done for about $125 just in order to figure out IF it's an unfilled canal.

But it does explain the "coming down with something" feeling I've been going through. Time to get tough! Oregano oil FTW!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Sorry you are dealing with teeth troubles! That sucks. Toothaches are the worst! Hope you can resolve it as cheaply as possible quickly.
Caroveggie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 am

Okay...having had some time to think about this, maybe there isn't infection in that crown after all. The dentist yesterday probed around my gum line and didn't find any tenderness or inflammation, couldn't detect any cracks, and did not prescribe antibiotics because the other signs of infection were absent. So whatever it is, it probably isn't infection. But he did do something: He adjusted the bite by filing down the crown a little bit, and the fillings in the opposing tooth. If the bite was off, then I could be jarring the crown with every chew, which could bring about an irritation that has been causing the pain. So he made that adjustment and sent me on my way. If the pain didn't go away in a week or so, then I'd make an appointment to have a 3-D scan done of the crown and find any infection that might be present.

Well I'm here to say that this morning, eating breakfast didn't make it hurt! As I was driving to work it occurred to me: My tooth doesn't hurt. It doesn't hurt right now, though I can tell it's there. But not painful. You know how strange it is to be aware of your teeth...ugh. The last time I felt it was eating some hot food last night, but before that it wasn't hurting. Ooh wouldn't that be the best, if that bite adjustment was the fix!

Foods I've Eaten

TODAY:
B: grape nuts w/apple juice; a banana
L: boiled yellow potatoes over spinach with vegan brown gravy
D: Moroccan sweet potato stew; spinach

YESTERDAY
B:Moroccan sweet potato stew
S: bread
L: saltines, sliced cucumbers, oil free hummus
D: Progresso garden vegetable soup; baked sweet potato

This Progresso soup thing. I stopped at the store on my way home from work for celery, for a cabbage noodle soup recipe I want to try, and found vegetable Progresso soups for .99c!!! Looking at the labels, the garden vegetable is zero fat calories :nod: but I also bought a couple cans of the minestrone and the lentil, for a grand total of seven cans of soup. And I might just pop in for more of those. Progresso soups are usually in the mid $2.00 range, and these veggie soups are just barely over 10% fat calories so I think adding some grains or potatoes to them will bring the total percentage below 10% easily.

I love it when I find my foods in a convenient format! Mind you, I make far better soup at home than anything found in a can, and I will make soup probably this evening. Still wanting to try the cabbage noodle soup recipe. BUT isn't it grand when you can simply open a can and heat up and eat the contents without it costing a fortune. :D

One last little thing...I was feeling so punky last night, I got straight into my jammies and warm fuzzy robe after dinner and rested. But there are treatish things around: Stroopwafel (my fault...I bought them for Wylie when I was at World Market); Riesen's soft chocolate caramels, mint chocolate cookies, almonds, Ritz crackers. Oooh I wanted a Stroopwafel. I felt icky, I deserved a treat.

And I thought about the six pounds that came off in our move and did NOT have a treat! When I felt hungry a few hours later I nuked a sweet potato :-D So proud of myself!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby choufleur » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:16 am

Yay, great job not having the treat and having a sweet potato instead!!! :-)
choufleur

Postby Idgie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 am

Crossing my fingers that the bite adjustment did the trick!!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby keithswife » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 am

ooooo, root canals! I just went through that lovely process myself. It started out innocently enough with a cavity. The dentist drilled too deeply filling my cavity, so I had to get the root canal or live with terrible tooth sensitivity for the rest of my life. I remember looking my dentist square in the eye and saying, "just pull it!" But no, she did a convincing song and dance about saving the darn tooth, not wanting my teeth to shift if I had the extraction, and a lot of other happy crap. Had the root canal, had another temporary filling done. Went back to get the crown, and the dentist just had the hardest time ever. Broke the first crown she was trying to fit. The Novocaine wore off half way through the second crown fitting. I ended up going home with cement still around part of the crown because she just gave up. Thankfully, it's been ok. But honestly, I think I should have just had the darn thing pulled. :\ Hope all you needed was a bit of filing. These things are the worst!
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf
keithswife

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:08 am

keithswife wrote:ooooo, root canals! I just went through that lovely process myself. It started out innocently enough with a cavity. The dentist drilled too deeply filling my cavity, so I had to get the root canal or live with terrible tooth sensitivity for the rest of my life. I remember looking my dentist square in the eye and saying, "just pull it!" But no, she did a convincing song and dance about saving the darn tooth, not wanting my teeth to shift if I had the extraction, and a lot of other happy crap. Had the root canal, had another temporary filling done. Went back to get the crown, and the dentist just had the hardest time ever. Broke the first crown she was trying to fit. The Novocaine wore off half way through the second crown fitting. I ended up going home with cement still around part of the crown because she just gave up. Thankfully, it's been ok. But honestly, I think I should have just had the darn thing pulled. :\ Hope all you needed was a bit of filing. These things are the worst!

Oh that sounds just AWFUL! Thankfully they put me under for the root canal. They gave me three shots of novocaine that left me still feeling it, so finally they just zonked me out. And my BIL is a dentist and meticulous so I had him do the crown. I knew it wasn't a failure of the crown and really feared that the root had been missed but it's feeling so much better now, two days later. Even hot barely affects it. I'm thinking adjusting the bite did the trick. :nod:

Now about that soup! wow yummy delicious new favorite recipe! https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/03/cabbage-noodle-soup.html I threw it together last night after work, making a regular batch of six servings, and I ate two huge servings right away.

There is something about the seasonings, which are poultry oriented...sage, poultry seasoning, parsley...and the nooch, with the chickpeas...when I heated up my second bowl the aroma was absolutely amazing. Smelled JUST like chicken noodle soup. And it tasted so good! I am making a giant batch this weekend FOR SURE. now I'm craving it...but the rest of it is waiting for me in the fridge after work. Ooooh! can't wait!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:04 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Now about that soup! wow yummy delicious new favorite recipe! https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/03/cabbage-noodle-soup.html I threw it together last night after work, making a regular batch of six servings, and I ate two huge servings right away.

There is something about the seasonings, which are poultry oriented...sage, poultry seasoning, parsley...and the nooch, with the chickpeas...when I heated up my second bowl the aroma was absolutely amazing. Smelled JUST like chicken noodle soup. And it tasted so good! I am making a giant batch this weekend FOR SURE. now I'm craving it...but the rest of it is waiting for me in the fridge after work. Ooooh! can't wait!

Hi Buns! :)

Glad your tooth is feeling ok.

Thanks for sharing this soup recipe... Going to give it a go... Can always use another soup recipe....

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Idgie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Seems like everyone on the board is trying Susan's soup. Partner is making it for us tomorrow. :-)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:15 am

Well I made a big batch of that soup, doubled the recipe and am going to stop at the store and buy cabbage so I can make it again :nod: Also garbanzo beans since I go through those really fast...

The tooth is good, no cavities or other problems in any other teeth, and everything in my mouth is smooth and shiny AND I got to spend some time with my little goober head which was 100% delightful. He's starting to say things...he knows "all done" and "shoe" and "more" (he says that when he is hungry, for some reason...even if he hasn't yet had any, he wants "more" :lol: ) mama, dada, yaya (me) gramma (his mom's stepmom) and he can make animal sounds for all the animals.

My little adorbs Orion. He had a lot of fun making selfies with me. We have 200 of them, since he kept touching the button, the screen, and anything else he could. Well, that made my day, and I got a few more boxes unpacked...boxes of decor items which was fun finding places for pictures and knick knacks. The place is getting more like home all the time.

Eating is good. I went off plan with buttered popcorn on Sunday but otherwise have been compliant. Moving broke the bank, so I'm making my own food anyway, so I simply follow compliant recipes. I may bake up a 5# bag of yellow potatoes this afternoon. Doesn't that sound good? Cold baked yellow potatoes. :nod: Meanwhile, I have my cucumber and saltine snack at work and some of that delicious cabbage noodle soup waiting for me at home for dinner. Yum!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:57 am

FOOD TODAY:

B: polenta with sliced mushrooms, chunked tomatoes, and minced red onion
S: sliced cucumber and "wheat" saltines :roll:
L: noodles with jarred oil free pasta sauce
D: cabbage noodle soup

Feeling a little bit like cellulitis wants to creep up on me, though I don't have the feverishness that usually comes before, but my leg has that tingly pre-rash thing going. Boo :( I rested after work yesterday (except the part about making polenta. yum!) and there's a tingle, but no sign of actual rash. I've been checking frequently.

I'm getting to the bottom of the big batch of cabbage noodle soup that I made on Monday. Because it is soup, it doesn't travel well in the food storage I have, so I haven't been bringing it for lunch. But it makes a good dinner every day. I'll be making it again. Maybe leave out the shrooms and barley? Mmmmm soup! Soup is magic!

Going to cook up that bag of yellow taters. That just sounds good...cooked yellows, room temp, eaten out of hand. Like a bagel, but non-processed!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:29 pm

Hey, you've got a real cutie! He is so sweet looking! I love kids.
You are making me want to eat potatoes and soup -- that's a good thing!
The polenta with mushrooms sounds good, too. I guess I'm hungry!
Glad you and Wylie are settling into your new digs. :)
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals