Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 am

Rosey and Idgie,

You both have it pretty nice with that. I prefer simplicity, and have kept "things" minimal for most of my life. Being broke usually means NOT buying something, you know? Anyway, we're getting it done. I worked my butt off on Saturday and Sunday both. Saturday morning was "Clean the fridge" time and we also went through her utensil drawer (speaking of having tons of STUFF) (who needs strainers in four different sizes. Honestly) Saturday afternoon Wylie and I moved more stuff from the basement to the shed. There's a wall of shelves that has held little-used items for as long as I can remember. When I was little, it was extra canned goods, and there was still some of that but things like the huge soup pot that is only for making turkey bone soup after Thanksgiving, or the toaster oven that daddy had in his RV at the Eagles' campground which my mom has NEVER used at home. Ever. It's been 14 years mom. Can we let it go? but she wants to keep the stuff. So we shifted lots of things like that up the stairs and outside, on Saturday.

Then Sunday, cleaning those shelves. Which entailed sweeping the cement foundation wall between each shelf, and vacuuming up the debris and dust from the shelves, then wiping them. Then vacuuming along the floor...etc. My face was dripping; sweat in my eyes, lots of lifting, lots of hustle. And DANG if it didn't feel like an accomplishment at the end! And room for some of our(his) STUFF! woot.

We also went and got the fixins for the bathroom: soap dish, hand towel rod, hooks for inside the shower, a cabinet for the towels. Looks pretty nice, all the new stuff SMH. But that's okay, I've always been in the habit...whenever I bring something new in, I get rid of something. Especially where it comes to clothing. I do NOT hang on to that stuff and I only shop when I need something. Like, it's getting to be time to do some sweater hunting. I'll hit the thrift store next paycheck. So we got a new toothbrush holder...bye bye old toothbrush holder. And no, I do not set it aside "in case I know someone who might be able to use it" I do have two bins and a large box full of STUFF for the thrift store :nod:

And then it was Birthday Party Time. My dad, brother, and granddaughter all have early October bdays so we had a bbq. I made baked beans and bought portabello caps for me and my sister and her daughter YAY TWO MORE VEG HEADS IN THE FAMILY! and had a small piece of the bday cake. It was a good weekend. I didn't go on the post-prandial walk due to foot pain but I kept busy and was packed with energy and stamina throughout.

haven't had any sugar in four or five days. Well okay, the bday cake. But no otter pops, which I've treated myself to every afternoon all summer long. None of the ubiquitous candy at the office, either, or the snacky stuff at home. My compliance is much improved, and I like it that way.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Idgie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Buns, you are rockin' it! I'm so impressed!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 am

Idgie wrote:Buns, you are rockin' it! I'm so impressed!

Thanks Idgie. If my foot could keep up, I'd go on forever. Huge energy! Yesterday after work I got groceries, picked about 10# of tomatoes, had dinner, made a huge batch of Thai Curried Rice (which was disappointing because I cut back on the curry paste), cleaned UP from dinner, cleaned UP from big batch cooking and then sat with my foot up. *sigh*

Peanut butter toast for brekkie today. I found a Kroger brand of natural peanut butter: Peanuts and salt the only ingredients and had some on toast today with lemon curd. HOLY YUM is that ever good! But I won't be repeating the peanut butter again for a while. The lemon curd alone would have been too sweet, and I used less than a TBSP of the nut butter. Yes, fat is a treat. How odd to think of peanut butter as a rich food! :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:10 am

moonlight wrote:That’s the attitude! Doesn’t it sound so simple? Yet, we make it is so difficult sometimes. I’m struggling with the same “treating” myself because I’m feeling very stressed. Poor eating just adds more stress.... You are inspiring me to make the effort to make good food choices.

I hope your body responds quickly and you start feeling better - no more creepy old woman thoughts!

Heh, now that I think about it, my body has responded...elbow pain way down. Wasn't that FAST!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Idgie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Wow, wonderful!!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:07 am

It's time to pick up yoga again. Waking up I feel like the Queen song

Ooh, each morning I get up I die a little
Can barely stand on my feet
(Take a look at yourself) Take a look in the mirror and cry (and cry)

Yes, it is a slow process anymore, getting out of bed. When I started yoga, my first goal was not to let myself be old and immobile. I found a yoga/pilates work out called DDP Yoga...videos with four or five workouts on each one, graduating in intensity and difficulty. I did a workout from that program EVERY day and loved it. My energy was literally uncontainable. I found myself NEEDING to move, and went LOOKING for something physical to do every day. Sometimes I even JOGGED! :eek: And no foot pain, no elbow pain, not even any pain the day after digging or pulling weeds or laying out bark chips in the garden.

Well, I got a snuggly, sleeper-inner boyfriend ;) and those early morning DDP workouts went by the wayside. AND we lived in a tiny place. Room for a yoga practice? Yes. Room for an early morning video on, with the TV on the other side of the bedroom wall? No. Well now we're in a much larger space, with the bedroom down the hall from the living room AND I found those old DDP Yoga videos when we moved. AND I'm really feeling it when I get up.

Time to get my move on again. :nod: I can do my DDP early, then shower and climb back in bed :unibrow: but lord knows, I gotta do SOMETHING. Let's lose these aches and pains!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby choufleur » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:57 pm

How great that you're starting up your yoga practice again! Congratulations on your move as well!
choufleur

Postby Caroveggie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Congrats on starting yoga again. I'd bought DDP yoga a while back also, but lost it in one of my moves. I remember it being very inspiring and fun. Have a great time getting back into it!
Caroveggie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 am

well Hallelujah! I've lost six pounds! I knew something had to give eventually. Three HUNDRED times more activity, and fewer calories, has GOT to mean something. I didn't want to get on the scale this morning anyway, because it hasn't moved in a long time. But I woke up quite early...4:50 a.m. which even for this morning lark is way too early...and laid in bed instead of getting up. I got my psycho-cybernetics on: Imagining myself putting on size 10 jeans, in my head running up the stairs and jotting back down them with ease, putting on my current size jeans and having them SO baggy. Imagined feeling my belly without the flab, and imagined stepping on the scale to see 140. I spent more than half an hour going in and out of this envisioning in my head along with some random thoughts about my family and my job.

It's called psycho-cybernetics and it works. Engage all the senses, see yourself already in the place you want to be. Seriously, it's a very good place to begin ANY goal. When I was consistent with it back at the most recent big weight loss, I started at 275 lbs and my imagination took me to size 14 jeans. And guess what size I was wearing when I was most fit, about five years ago...size 14. When I realized this, I remember thinking "Dangit, should've envisioned size 10's!" so that's what I'm trying now. Truly, it was so nice lying in bed drowsy and warm and full of visions. But then it was time to get up and just on a whim, probably because I'd been stepping on the scale in my imagination, I did it. Didn't ease on to make the scale move more slowly upward. I just closed my eyes, stepped on, and looked.

:cool: Very happy to see the number there. Now I am one pound lower than I was when I first started here 9 years ago *pfft* but! it is going down, and that's a good thing, man!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Caroveggie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 am

Congratulations on your weight loss! 6 pounds is great!
Caroveggie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 am

Hi chofleur and Caroveggie!

I'm actually a little bit excited about getting started with DDPYoga again. I'm a hell of a lot fatter than I was when I started at it in 2013 but I know my joints will respond quickly. I'll feel the difference fast. I just need the DVD player hooked up and I can start :nod:

Ate a big bowl of savory oatmeal this morning. Just regular old fashioned oats, with chunked up tomatoes, diced red onion, and nooch in it. YUMMY and!!! at the usual 10:30 mark I am not feeling hungry, which is unusual for me with an oatmeal breakfast. Maybe it was a bigger serving than usual. hm. Or...I did eat about a half hour later than usual.

well anyway. Savory oatmeal. Delish!

To Do To Day:

Put Xmas boxes in big closet
Unpack two Misc boxes (yay! Maybe that's where the shower squeegee is :lol:)
Find forever homes for the rest of the Misc stuff.
Relocate boxes to permanent shelving in back hallway
Take large Kitchen box up to the kitchen; put away stuff
Organize spices and seasonings
Make pico de gallo using fresh garden tomatoes

We'll see how much of this I get done after work. At the very least, the Xmas boxes need putting away. They are taking up way too much room. And I really need to find the squeegee so I'll be unpacking miscellaneous boxes. Which I actually kind of enjoy. It's like a mini-discovery. Oh THAT'S where I put the hummingbird feeder! :nod: I like it.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm

You're inspiring me to dust off the DVD and do yoga with my favorite yoga DVD with Wai Lana. :lol:
I love savory oatmeal, too - with nooch, garlic and onion powder. Yum!

Good luck with your To Do list! :D
moonlight

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Hiya Buns!! :)
Congrats on your weight loss!! Your yoga plan sounds wonderful. I had to chuckle a bit about how it was harder before you moved... have similar challenges with the treadmill being under our bedroom and waking up husband (not good)...

Glad you are getting settled in to your new digs!!
Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi Moonlight and VSF. Thanks for dropping by!

Well on Friday I didn't do another thing after work. Not feeling great and I rested. On Saturday though, I got through quite a few of those To Do's. The big kitchen box, I culled until it fit into a small box. Some put away, some give away. :nod: Xmas boxes. Check. And there's more. Wylie has a passel of Xmas stuff in his storage unit. I reckon we'll have a big sparkling tree and a Santa with sparkling beard for our decorations this year. :lol: Wylie LOVES Christmas. He gets excited when he sees the stores decked out with it in October.

Heh. In my mental exercises I've been envisioning myself going up and down the stairs easily and pain free. Lo! and Behold! if I didn't dash up and down those stairs many times on Saturday. Love it! Not that my knee today isn't giving me grief, but honestly it isn't bad. I can tell I used it, and it's not killing me.

Also on Saturday I spent time with my little feller...17 month old grandson. We played outside with neighborhood kids for a little while. Two boys especially seem to have adopted him and played ball with him, carried him around, and mock wrestled/boxed with him. Lots of fun. Wore him out good. He is so freaking adorable. Honestly. Just like that episode in Bewitched where Endora casts a spell so everyone loves little Tabitha...only I didn't cast a spell. Orion just casts his own cuteness spell everywhere he goes.

Oh! also very excited to report that I found an oil free hummus in a local grocery store. It has tahini in it, but no added oil which makes me so happy! I bought one of each variety: Traditional, Roasted Red Pepper, and Chili Lime. Made a scrumptious fat free salad dressing using the traditional and about a half tsp of garlic ginger paste. OH MAN was that ever good!

tonight: Pico de Gallo. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 am

You have so many good things happening for you right now - moving, weight loss, happy knee and grandson time. And that engagement! Any news on the wedding front?

Also, what’s the brand of hummus? I’d love a store-bought hummus. One less thing I have to do.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals