Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 am

Made soup and am all over again in love with the dried veggie blend in the bulk section at Winco.

Here is how I did it:

2 c yellow split peas
1 c dried veggie blend
enough water to make everything float. Probably 10 c of liquid. I didn't measure even slightly. Just turned on the tap and filled the pot.

Turn heat on med high and go take a shower. Then stir.

Add a TBSP of curry powder and a can of diced tomatoes. Stir in 1/2 c of sorghum grain. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring now and then. Add 1/2 lb of frozen spinach. (fresh if you have it) Heat through. Eat. :nod: Sprinkle salt if desired.

Easiest meal I ever made, but it needs JUST a titch longer cooking. Getting the lentils really soft is a tricky thing for me, some reason. I'll probably put it all back in the pot today with a cup or two of water. Maybe add some cumin and some chili powder. Cook it for another half hour. However, even with "firm" split peas, it tastes good and WOW the simplicity. It made eight cups. Enough for quite a few meals.

and now I want to make the Curry in a Hurry from Dillon's Well Your World youtube video. Looks easy, though I would leave out the jalapenos. He even uses green mango powder, which I have some of. Hmmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0uYjRr9oA&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=Lpk10PYjYdmSnjcy%3A6
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Every year it's the same, and I'm tired of it. Wylie gets a cough some time in the last half of the year. This time it was on the last day of our honeymoon. He had a tickle. He fought it with zinc, but ended up getting it full bore. I started taking zinc and oregano that day, to be proactive...and I caught it anyway. It took three weeks, and I fought it hard, and I caught the cold. I continued taking the zinc and oregano throughout, and shortened my time to about one week. Wylie got pretty much over it, then caught it again, probably from me.

Now he's back in it squarely, and I'm coming to the end of it AND I'M CATCHING IT AGAIN :\ :mad: :angry: I was over it, and now I can feel it in the base of my throat, and there's phlegm when I cough. It's coming back at me!

Last year I got mildly sniffly one time, and shortened it to about a week with zinc and oregano, while Wylie coughed and sneezed for a month. The year before, the BIG flu season where everyone was deathly ill, I didn't catch A THING. But I fought it every day, and I fight it every day. I fought it off a month ago, and fought it for the week that I had symptoms, and here we go again. garrrrrr.

It's old already. I want to get through an Autumn without having to stand guard all day, every day. Meanwhile all around me at work people are hacking up a lung, which also spreads the germs. I guess the fight is on. Either that or let me get sick and I'll go to bed. That'll show ya.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:42 am

Okay this has gone on long enough. I've GOT to get on track, got to drop some freaking weight. Going to work on my mindset, aiming for that cage-stage mentality where I'm 100% right, and everyone else can go hang it in a basket, I'm gonna do what's the healthiest and I'll be this way forever no problem because I am IN the game.

Cage-stage=that phase in a person's life when they have recently found something new, and are really excited about it, feeling that they'll never do it any other way EVER, wanting to promote it to everyone and anyone who will or won't listen. Looking slightly down at those who do not follow their newfound way of life. Considering their way to be the only way, and feeling superior to those who don't follow. I call it hyper focus mode, and it hits me when I pick up a new hobby, start a diet, learn a new method of doing something. It becomes an obsession for a while, then peters out and becomes REALLY hard to get back into.

I'm at this phase: Really hard to get back into it. Thinking about a keto diet, because I know I'll lose weight fast that way. Thinking about freaking liposuction because DANG that'll be fast weight loss. Knowing that McDougalling is the healthiest way to eat, and still having a cookie when offered. Still making excuses. Still craving salt, fat, and sugar. :\

I gotta pull it together. I HAVE. GOT. TO. Tired of aching feet. Tired of my knee going out every time I turn around. Tired of the apron of fat on my belly.

Byeee. Gonna go watch a Well Your World video.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:I'm at this phase: Really hard to get back into it. Thinking about a keto diet, because I know I'll lose weight fast that way. Thinking about freaking liposuction because DANG that'll be fast weight loss. Knowing that McDougalling is the healthiest way to eat, and still having a cookie when offered. Still making excuses. Still craving salt, fat, and sugar. :\

I gotta pull it together. I HAVE. GOT. TO. Tired of aching feet. Tired of my knee going out every time I turn around. Tired of the apron of fat on my belly.

Hey Buns, you've got this. One foot in front of the other. One good compliant meal at a time. Each time you say "NO" to the sugar, fat, and salt foods the quicker the cravings will go away. Breathe, be kind to yourself, go cook some vegetables and potatoes. :) You will be healthier getting back on McD food than going on Keto.

I've been roasting vegetables this week. They are so good! Today I plan to roast beets, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Doesn't that sound good? Yesterday I put it over brown rice and added a little Maple Grove FF Dijon dressing. So simple and so very good.

XO
moonlight

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:00 am

maybe it's time for a small friendly competition. I'm kind of floundering a bit myself.

What do we need to do push each other onto the right track. Perhaps a mandatory daily weigh in, 100% food reporting at the end of the day, I'm not sure, but we need something.

I'm there with you and I hate that I keep giving in.
AnnetteW

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:02 am

serene wrote:Buns, we can do this together! Make something yummy to eat today that's Mc-D compliant, and enjoy your Sunday.

Hi Serene!

I did end up making a big 7x batch of oat clusters, and this evening I'll make some not-chicken soup. And I just need to bake up a 10# of potatoes to have around as needed.

It feels like a better weekend, altogether.

moonlight wrote:Hey Buns, you've got this. One foot in front of the other. One good compliant meal at a time. Each time you say "NO" to the sugar, fat, and salt foods the quicker the cravings will go away. Breathe, be kind to yourself, go cook some vegetables and potatoes. :) You will be healthier getting back on McD food than going on Keto.

I've been roasting vegetables this week. They are so good! Today I plan to roast beets, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Doesn't that sound good? Yesterday I put it over brown rice and added a little Maple Grove FF Dijon dressing. So simple and so very good.

XO

Hi moonlight...

very VERY good advice, going at it one meal at a time. My "I want it all and I want it now" gene kicks in and I get impatient and just want all the fat gone overnight, or if I could only turn back the clock and NOT start eating all the things five years ago and re-gaining the weight.

*sigh* so it seems this is going to be hard work, requiring consistency and discipline.

Bring it.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Morris » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:18 am

Hi, just read these last posts -- I am with you all about getting with the right eating. It is so frustrating knowing what to do and not doing it. In an odd sort of way, I am finding comfort in knowing that I am not alone in my struggle. One day at a time.... One meal at a time...
We can do this!
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 am

AnnetteW wrote:maybe it's time for a small friendly competition. I'm kind of floundering a bit myself.

What do we need to do push each other onto the right track. Perhaps a mandatory daily weigh in, 100% food reporting at the end of the day, I'm not sure, but we need something.

this is a great idea. Hold each other accountable.

I wonder if we can do it on the MWL weigh in forum.

Thanks, Annette :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:
AnnetteW wrote:maybe it's time for a small friendly competition. I'm kind of floundering a bit myself.

this is a great idea. Hold each other accountable.

I wonder if we can do it on the MWL weigh in forum.

Thanks, Annette :)

I'm not sure the best way to do it honestly. When I tried starting the one thread about "cramming" it got shot down, so we might actually want to get "permission" first. Or we just do it in our own threads and make sure to comment on each others, but I think that will just get lost. A daily compliance thread that restarts each month like the MWL thread. Or you are right, there is no reason to possibly not do it in the current MWL thread as long as it doesn't overwhelm. I'll send a message and find out. Till then I will do it in my journal (which I already forgot to do.)
AnnetteW

Postby Morris » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

Hey! I am interested in this too - why not start a new thread and call it "Our Accountability Journal" and we can all post on it as a journal. Or as you stated, daily compliance thread
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 am

Morris wrote:Hey! I am interested in this too - why not start a new thread and call it "Our Accountability Journal" and we can all post on it as a journal. Or as you stated, daily compliance thread

Awesome idea!
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:20 am

serene wrote:I would love a compliance thread, but if it's in the MWL thread, I would gracefully bow out because I'm not on MWL and my goals don't include weight-loss.

Point well taken. I attempt MWL myself but am happy to be doing SS.
AnnetteW

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 am

Okay I'm going to start a new topic in this forum. Titled...ummm... Mutual Accountability. It'll be a daily weight and food check in.

Hopefully that will be okay.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Excellent job on the Mutual Accountability thread. Thanks for taking the initiative to get the ball rolling.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 am

One of the drawbacks of starting really early at work is I don't have time beforehand to hit the gym. I also don't have leisure in the morning to dawdle along enjoying a cup of coffee and reading or tangling. It's up, shower, dress, out the door. I'm trying to get in the habit of hitting the gym on my way home, and so far since coming back from Vegas I've been one day per week :lol: but yesterday and the day before, because the thought of being around a bunch of people sweating in their leggings, after being with a (different) bunch of people in the office all day was TOO much, I stopped at a park and got out to walk. Especially the Monday walk was so lovely and relaxing. My cranky mood fell away and I was left breathing and peaceful in the gray golden November afternoon. So nice. Two days in a row, and my foot is telling me about it for sure. So today will be a gym day. That gets me home at dinner time.

Thankfully I have some food made, so I can eat then make my not-chicken soup which I love. Big batch of that will make several meals.

I'll probably do a repeat of the lentil stew I made over the weekend, as well. Two c yellow lentils, one c. diced dehydrated vegs (blend from Winco has only vegs and some parsley. No added salts or sugars) and 8 c. water. Cook for an hour. BAM soup! and I throw in a can of diced tomatoes, and half a bag of spinach for good measure. Easy peasey.

In addition to keeping track and being accountable on the other thread, in order to help myself I am back to spending time imagining myself thin. That's another thing I'd do in the mornings if I had a later start to my work day. The boost to your confidence is immediate, and long term it helps you act like a thin person to imagine yourself, put yourself in the emotional state you would feel if you were already thin. It's a good exercise. Time to carve out 20 minutes every day for it.

Feeling really good about my choices this past week. So far, so good, other than the chocolate. I'll have to figure out how to reduce that element. Meanwhile, I'm kinda using it as a substitute treat. IOW, I am not having any other off plan anything at all and the chocolate for now becomes my "treat" so that I can say no to all the other stuff. Who knows...it might turn out to be wiser than saying "all on plan, all the time, and aim for a feast day when I'll eat all the things and trigger myself for eating foolishly for the following six weeks" which is what actually has happened since the honeymoon. If I eat a little bit of chocolate each day, maybe I won't go berserk on "feast days" or even need to have feast days. Still...super heavy calorie density so I should work on cutting back. Maybe back to making it a weekend thing like I did for a long time. I'm pretty sure eating something this calorie dense is impeding any weight loss that eating well might spur.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals